• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stones with eyes, lighthouses? BBC?

A

Anonymous

Anyone remeber a childrens program were a girl draws in her book and it apears in her dreams?..i remember standing stones with eyes that closed when lit up so she drew a ligthouse..bike ride past the stones with a boy who had been layed up in bed cos he'd injured is foot(?)...

Sounds like "Escape Into Night", about an ill girl whose drawings become reality. It was dead scary as I remember, and was later made into a film, "Paperhouse", which I've got clearer memories of. In that, she draws her father, but makes him look angry, so he becomes a threatening "monster" figure. Eventually, she rubs out the drawing's eyes, blinding him, and he falls through a fissure that appears when she tears the drawing up!

Well worth checking out, but I've no idea if its available on video or dvd...

Sounds like......!

......sounds like PAPER HOUSE directed by the fabulous Bernard Rose. A little girl who's ill, draws pictures and in her mind the pictures become real.

A must see British film with a real gritty edge to it.

Moggadon

wasnt there one called penny crayon where she drew in an book and it became real?

i seem to remember the name but nothing else

casio

isnt 'penny cryon' on at the moment! and not at all dark...i dont think im gona get the vid of 'paper house' sounds like it'd give me nigtmares!...i remeber te TV series as compelling but quite disterbing for childrens telly!...

'Marianne Dreams' (aka a number of other titles for some reason), by...er, can't remember, but I looked it up on Amazon the other day.

Oddly enough, I've never read it, but as a very small child I saw a TV show about graphic design. The case study used was this very book; the cover disturbed me so deeply that I can still remember it clearly over 20 years later.

I'd like to add my praise for paperhouse. It's truely disturbing without being gory. The sort of film we do very well in Britian yet which seems to get ignored in the hunt for the next 'Full Monty' or 'Lock Stock'

Cujo

Back