• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stormtroopers

Why don't the Star Wars Trilogy DVD Stormtroopers speak with New Zealand accents?

• George Lucas chose to preserve the integrity of his original vision rather than tinker with it endle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • George Lucas couldn't afford Temuera Morrison's voiceover fees.

• This is the price New Zealand pays for pulling out of ANZUS.

• Stormtroopers aren't Clone War Clonetroopers.

• Oops!

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

When Mrs Dr X and I sat down to watch our new-beaut Star Wars Trilogy DVDs, we noticed that although Boba Fett now sounded like his dad, the Stormtroopers had kept their old North American accents. How do you make sense of this?

Your accent comes from where you're brought up, not your genes.

Wooly Badger is a Star Wars nerd, so I asked him....

"Bobba's Clones were inefficient (wait for the next Prequel). If they are all clones of Bobba Fett in Star Wars, how could Luke get away with being 'a little short for a Stormtrooper'. "

I'm none the wiser, but still.....:D

Edited for spelling and otherwise crapulous typing

George Lucas chose to preserve the integrity of his original vision rather than tinker with it endlessly.

can't beleive that ;)

George Lucas couldn't afford Temuera Morrison's voiceover fees.

judging by the number of times he's re-released star wars I can't beleive that either ;)

most likely, or Mummys version, or maybe I'm thinking about this too much now ;)

And now George has another thing to tinker with on the next release of the movies...

storm troopers arent clone troopers as far as I know.

Just watched part VI on the DVD. They also replaced the actor who plays the ghost Annakin Skywalker with someone younger and with longer hair. The actor from part III?

Yep, Mike. Hayden Christensen. Played Anakin in Episode II.

Also in Episode VI, when Luke helps D.V. take his helmet off, they've erased D.V.'s/Anakin's eyebrows and changed his eye colour to match Hayden Christensen.

too sad

this is my first post!!

There are still many scenes to include in a new hope, also on 4th dvd is bloopers etc hidden away, check http://www.eeggs.com

may the force be with you, always

:blah:

Hurrah! It's about time that Wooly Badger did his own posts!

(I'm not flaming MODs, honest - he's my hubcap!! :))

Clearly the Clone Troopers were a way of getting an army together in a hurry.

(Arguably, actually putting an army together might have been cheaper, but this had the added benefit of taking place on a hard to find planet in the middle of nowhere.)

Once the Empire becomes established, it would be economically more viable to recruit soldiers in the normal way. It would also explain the fact that Storm Troopers don't seem to be raised from birth to be soldiers.

Alistair P said:
Your accent comes from where you're brought up, not your genes.

WARNING - SMALL SPOILER AND SAD LINGUISTIC ANALYSIS AHEAD

True. One's idiolect, including one's accent is affected by a variety of post-natal influences. Your accent can be shaped by the locale of your birth/ childhood; the accent of your parents/ guardians (and presumably not all the clones would have even met Jango); even the media you are exposed to (consider the kids in England today who have all acquired Australian Questioning Intonation? Where everything they say sounds like a question? Like in Neighbours?); your peer group, and lots of different things like that.

While Boba is presumably raised exclusively by Jango, up until the latter's decapitation, the clone army doesn't seem to have this close familial influence on their accent - they're pictured all being raised collectively in the cloning factory place.

Anyhow, in spite of this, I still don't think that the Stormtroopers are the same as the Clone troopers. Any army, however efficient will take casualties, and no-one in AOTC mentions anything about ordering any spares. So presumably, after a sizeable chunk of casualties are removed from your original run of clones, you'd have to start conscripting or enlisting new troops, of all kinds of hights, backgrounds and genetic make-up.
I know there's a milion-odd clones, but in the intervening couple of decades of conflict between Episodes 2 and 4, you'd easily go through those. The Stormtroopers ain't clones. In fact, can I even put in a prediction that in Episode 3, the cloning facility is destroyed?

Back