• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Associations

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
"What the Papers Say" this evening relayed this week's press story that Osama bin Laden is an Arsenal fan! Apparently when he stayed in London he even went to a few matches... As a Gooner myself, I feel quite upset by that!

Better known is Red Ken's love of newts. (BTW, whatever happened to all the dire things that Labour told us would happen if he was elected London Mayor. They certainly worked up a lather over it.)

Are there other stories of unlikely hobbies or interests of the world's movers and shakers?

rynner said:
Better known is Red Ken's love of newts. (BTW, whatever happened to all the dire things that Labour told us would happen if he was elected London Mayor. They certainly worked up a lather over it.)

Well they are trying their best to make sure that they happen with the tube. :rolleyes:

Wm.

Hitler lived in Liverpool
Satre played in goal for a local fottie team
no idea if either is true

Hi Sidecar, where ya bin? (Was it you Lily was thinking of in the RV experiment?!)

Yes, I've heard that about Hitler, but I'm not sure if it's true either - no doubt someone will tell us.

Don't know if it's a UL but I was once told that Hitler's sister lived in Liverpool.

I'm sure the Scaffold would have got a song out of it if she had.

Hi rynner... ive bin here all the time!...and i dont know if i was the subject of and experiement ...at least nothing has fallen of me and me keys aint bent in me pocket yet!...

odd and sort of unrealted asociation... titainium with Captain Bligh or the bounty...
Captain Bligh (born in St Tudy Cornwall) was makeing maps round Cornwall when he was arested on suspicion of being a French Spy and imprisoned in the Celler of Manacan chruch by the Vicar. They let him go when they found he wasnt a spy... Titainium was first isolated by the vicar od Manacan in the local water suply and he initialy wanted to call it Manacanite...

Strange association

Karl Marx used to support himself by trading on the stock market. Something of a compromise of his principles, I've always felt, but a philosopher has to earn his crust somehow.

There's always the association between Jimmy Stewart and cryptozoological research. He funded several expeditions, and is said to have even smuggled an alleged yeti hand in his luggage.

sidecar_jon said:
Satre played in goal for a local fottie team
Sartre was virtually blind in one eye which probably means he was overqualified for a goalkeeper. Camus on the other eye...er, hand was a goalkeeper for Algeria.

Adolf Hitler, as everyone knows, was centre-forward for Accrington Stanley sea-cadets second team.

((I made that last bit up)

ah the old Camus/Satre confusion ah!... i was told that by an Art History lecturer so its most likely well wrong...

Karl marx lived over Quo Vardis resterant in Soho...Objected to Engles Mistress cos she was common.. agin not a clue wherether they are true.

sidecar_jon said:
Captain Bligh (born in St Tudy Cornwall) was makeing maps round Cornwall when he was arested on suspicion of being a French Spy and imprisoned in the Celler of Manacan chruch by the Vicar. They let him go when they found he wasnt a spy...
Bligh was actually going for a swim in the Helford when he was captured by the suspicious locals, who thought he was French.

A telling of this tale by the Fowey writer Q was called "Frenchman's Creek". Daphne du Maurier asked Q's permission to use his title for her novel (about a French Pirate, not Capt. Bligh).

(PS Jon: see Parapsychology>Remote Viewing Experiment to see why I thought Lily was thinking of you!)

Col Gaddaffi is an ardent Scarborough football team follower. Apparently because the head of the Libyan Students Association in Britain (or some similar society) was at college in Scarborough.

Carole

carole said:
Col Gaddaffi is an ardent Scarborough football team follower. Apparently because the head of the Libyan Students Association in Britain (or some similar society) was at college in Scarborough.

Hmmmm, does anyone else feel this could be the start of a "Middle Eastern terrorist leader x is a supporter of y football club" UL?

Dr Johnson always tried to avoid treading on the cracks between paving stones.

Napoleon's first act on entering Vienna was to send someone to check that Haydn was all right as he was a big fan of the composer.

Florence Nightingale took her pet owl with her wherever she went.

'Mark Twain' patented a self-pasting scrapbook.

rynner
i see the asociation with sidecars and bikes etc...that pic was notning like me bike tho. sorry i cant atke part in experiement cos im sort of indiciplinned in that sort of thing. Looks intersting tho

garabaldi/fowey/wind in the willows

garabaldies 'English General' (Pear? or Pierie? have to look next time im there) retired to Fowey where Wind in the Willows writer holidayed (Graham) Garabaldies bust apears as a decoration to Molies house...

And Birds film based on DDM short story about plougman attacked by Gulls...

All the bad guys have visited Blighty at least once.

Back