• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Caller In Worcester

Donna Black

Junior Acolyte
Saw this odd bit of news in the Evesham Journal. It has something of the bogus social worker about it.

EJ.JPG

There have been two or three accounts published - it's a well known initiative test to spook watchers; though usually it is something that can be checked like passport/driving licence/NHS/NI number. It is so similar it strikes me this is what it was about. You would have to spin quite a tale to get someone to sign a blank piece of paper.

Saw this odd bit of news in the Evesham Journal. It has something of the bogus social worker about it.

Very odd indeed. I find it curious the quote from the police that "no personal information was harvested". What, other than the person's signature? Which could then be used to forge things? :conf2:

And what on earth made the person sign it?

Standard training test for MI5/6 agents - accost a complete stranger and get their passport number or signature.

That was my immediate thought.

The signature is both the goal and the 'proof' that the goal was achieved.

The vital but lacking information is what the cold-caller said to get through the door.

Standard training test for MI5/6 agents - accost a complete stranger and get their passport number or signature.
Well strangely I once applied for a Pedlar's Licence! It's a delightful medieval survival - anyone cold calling selling door-to-door (encyclopedias, vacuum cleaners, brushes . . .) needs one.
*puts two and two together* :sherlock:

@maximus otter Do you happen to know if the license is a UK thing or is different in Scotland?

Back