• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Clicks

uair01

Antediluvian
I'm playing around with a high quality sound recorder (Olympus LS-10). It is more silent during lockdown, so I experiment with sound recordings of night sounds. I'm curious about such simple things as: "When do the birds start to sing in the morning?"

I've taken a first look at my recordings and was worried about some high volume clicks, where I thought that they were glitches caused by some error in my device. They sound like this (see sample).

But when I look at them in the sound editor, I see that they look like real sound events, approx. 2 ms long, with a frequency of approx. 4000 Hz. You can even see that the signal arrives earlier at one microphone than the other. So it is no glitch in the electronics. It still might come from inside the device though.

click1.jpg

And another one. So loud (if it's real) that it overloads the microphone.
click2.jpg

I still think it's some glitch in the device. But I know we have bats. Could this be just one pulse from a bat sonar, caught by the microphones?
There is one way to test this. I'll leave the recorder inside for one night and see if I get the same effect.

Attachments

• click1.mp3
    41.6 KB · Views: 37
  • click2.mp3
    3.3 KB · Views: 37

I agree, I also thought this was too low.

Note: First birds in our neighborhood start singing around 4:30 AM, that's 30 minutes before sunrise. It feels like they should start earlier. But they cut down all the trees and bushes recently, so maybe they just stay away.

And then we have these birds flying around at 1:00 AM. I suspect they might be these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_oystercatcher

Attachments

• nightbird1.mp3
    166.9 KB · Views: 25
Back