• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Clusters of Animal Bones

Vitrius

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
My friend sometimes tells me about his rather un-boy scoutly days as a, well, a boy scout. Most of them are about hazing new kids and stuff, but there's one story that he swears by that's just plain weird.

He says he and a group of other kids went off in the woods somewhere around Selma AL where they camped frequently and found a medium sized, very shabby house. According to him, the house was in a clearing that seemed to be formed by an old waterbed which had run dry, that it had no roads of access and lay beyond obviously ancient wood, and that it bore a waterwheel like a mill of some sort, though he describes it as a house. That in itself is odd, but not terribly odd, till you add his last detail. The house, supposedly, was surrounded by a full circle of scattered bones, surely animal. Days before his group came on this, he said he'd gone with another kid into the woods to see how far they could go without turning on their flashlights, and that they'd encountered something with reflectant eyes which terrified them because it seemed to be taller than they were by the level of the glare. The last bit I always told him just just something in a tree or on a hill, some common animal, a coyote at worst. But the bone yard house puzzles me to this day. So.....wolfman's summer cottage?

On a related note, I found this little hollow by a dirt road in Jacksonville AL where the trees sparse out a ways back and the grass gets shorter till it turns into straw and moss. For atmosphere, the road becomes only barely visible through gaps in the trees ahead. The clearing finally hits a virtual cavern of large pines which brood over a rather uninviting shadow world beyond. In the little hollow were purplexing and somewhat disturbing amounts of bones, most noteably skulls, which were very obviously cats and dogs and some deer. There must have been ten cat skulls in a 5 yard radius. I thought maybe illegal dumping was going on till I found a horrifically mauled faun, and figured it was a mountain lion's hunting ground(oddly close to town though). Strange though, the faun didn't look eaten, just mangled. Not sure whether a mountain cat would drag it off either. It was just left there to gather flies. Must be another gateway to hell or something.

I used to live in Pensacola, Florida and would make frequent forays into the sparsely populated regions of southern Alabama. There were all sorts of weird and wonderful out-of-the-way places back on those sandy roads.

True also for north AL, where Jacksonville is located.

Another strange thing I've found was a bizarre trail of small silver-colored metal crosses, spaced about 2ft each, leading off a dirt road(of course) into a wooded trail, over a cliff, and about 40ft down was a single, final cross at the bottom of the drop. Very strange. I was about 14 I think. I kept a few of the crosses for a time. May even still have them back home.

Found a cow skull placed on a high rock too a day after I'd been to the same rock minus cow skull. I mean, some one just put it there, but where the hell did they drag the thing up? No cattle near the place.

This sort of thing can have a couple of mundane (if still nasty) explanations.

A local animal control officer answered a call about an injmured dog on the side of the road. What he found was a dying dog, and creek that was jammed with dog carcasses and bones. Apparently, the local dog fighters used the place as a dump site for thier bait dogs and losers. Very grotesque, and not a clue who it might be.

A former wildlife officer from Virginia once told me about a cave some hikers stumbled into that was full of bones. His investigation determined that it was the den for a pack of feral dogs. He claimed that some of the bones were human.

I can't vouch for the above feral dog story. But in the year I spent living in rural Kentucky, I heard stories of attacks on humans and livestock by feral dogs. The people telling the stories were the victims, and both were what I considered honest and trustworthy men.

Also, bones seem to linger a bit. I recently kicked up the skull and partial skeleton of a dog that were at least a couple years old.

I used the wander round the countryside in my early teens and once came across a small pond in a hedgrow (it was circled by hedges all round) that was full of cow skulls, just the skulls, no other bones.

EDIT by full I mean about ten skulls in a pond about 15 feet across.

THE ABOVE PICTURE IS

not the one I was trying to post..somehow I posted a weird formation I got of the Spirit rover JPL site , I thought looked like a statue (broken) of a head ...

I've actually come across coydogs eating what was left of a fawn and had to back away while throwing rocks at them.

The dog and cat bones I found in the hillside was almost certainly a mountain lion's den. It was prime geography for it.

The bones around the house, well, let's just say a group of unwary teens once took a wrong turn in Texas....

The crosses sound like markers of a fatal accident site placed by the family members in memory of lost loved ones. The car probably veered off and over the cliff...so I'd put the crosses back, it would be like stealing flowers on headstones. :cross eye

Ineffable Ogre said:
The crosses sound like markers of a fatal accident site placed by the family members in memory of lost loved ones. The car probably veered off and over the cliff...so I'd put the crosses back, it would be like stealing flowers on headstones. :cross eye

Those'd be some amazing aumotive acrobatics for sure. The crosses went possibly a quarter mile through twists and turns in a very small and rugged trail. Also would have turned up in the paper quickly.

That area has lots of religious nuttery though. Roy Moore is from there, if you know who that is.

Very near that area is an extremely high cliff which climbers sometimes visit. A guy slipped on ice at a little teen gathering and fell the full - what - 40, 50ft to the bottom. Died en route to the ER I believe.

Back