• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Not :eek:, but still kind of fun:
The other day I had the odd idea of entertainment here where we could vote on what we though the Meyers-Briggs personality types of the mods were here, and about five minutes later a program about personality types and the Meyers-Briggs indicators came on OPB.
My old neighbor in my current apartment complex was named "Dave" and he had a dachshund named "Zooey" For half the time he was here I kept calling his dog "Chloe" for some reason. He moved out and the new neighbors are "Josh" and wife "Chloe".

This is quite a cool coincidence I think.

My Brother has an interest in the history of English country villages, and today sent me a text asking if I knew about the history of my village.

I replied that the lands were given to the De Vere family in thanks by William the Conqueror, for bravery shown on the battlefield at Hastings, and at some point in history a family called the Rippers owned a lot of the lands hereabouts (In fact I bought this house off one of the Ripper family)

2 minutes later he texted me back this, as he was reading sky news.

Strange one eh.??

Ripper and De Vere all in the space of 2 minutes :)
IMG_3599.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_3599.PNG
    IMG_3599.PNG
    174.9 KB · Views: 6
OK, a belter just happened to us about half an hour ago. And am online now so am gonna put it here.

Apropos of nothing, this morning, we got talking about something we hardly ever have discussed - getting rid of the junk caravan in our back garden (my mate left me it before she died and it was already falling apart but I hadn't got the heart to deal with it...)

Husband was saying maybe we should dismantle it then ring the local traveller gentlemen to come and get the scrap metal (which we have with similar things in the past). I was saying, maybe we should leave it intact, drag it out front, then ring them or just leave for them as they come past occasionally and take the scrap metal people in the village leave out. Dismantling caravans isn't summat we talk about much.

Not a subject we have discussed for months as since covid, they''ve been coming past less often.

Ten minutes later a man comes to our gate. A traveller.

"I was just passing and saw the caravan in your back garden..."

We let him look at it and it's too crap for him to buy or tow, but he advised us to dismantle it then him or his mates will come back.

Is there an Irish traveller Siri or Alexa device we weren't aware of?

OK, a belter just happened to us about half an hour ago. And am online now so am gonna put it here.

Apropos of nothing, this morning, we got talking about something we hardly ever have discussed - getting rid of the junk caravan in our back garden (my mate left me it before she died and it was already falling apart but I hadn't got the heart to deal with it...)

Husband was saying maybe we should dismantle it then ring the local traveller gentlemen to come and get the scrap metal (which we have with similar things in the past). I was saying, maybe we should leave it intact, drag it out front, then ring them or just leave for them as they come past occasionally and take the scrap metal people in the village leave out. Dismantling caravans isn't summat we talk about much.

Not a subject we have discussed for months as since covid, they''ve been coming past less often.

Ten minutes later a man comes to our gate. A traveller.

"I was just passing and saw the caravan in your back garden..."

We let him look at it and it's too crap for him to buy or tow, but he advised us to dismantle it then him or his mates will come back.

Is there an Irish traveller Siri or Alexa device we weren't aware of?

We had a similar thing happen to us some years back.

I had bought a new fridge freezer, and had dragged the old one into the front garden so I could dispose of it at some point. I’d just mentioned to Mrs DT that I hope the local travellers come by and nick it, to save me the job of taking it to the dump, when there was a knock on the front door.

Yup, you’ve guessed it, a local traveller knocked to ask if he could have it. I even helped him put the thing in the back of his van :)

VERY minor coincidence.

I made a crumb cake earlier. This is something I make 2 or 3 times a year - it's certainly not on the regular rota, and the last one I made was a bit of a disaster because I thought 3/4 cup buttermilk was equivalent to 3/4 pint of buttermilk. (Pro tip - it's not.). Having taken it out of the oven, the Teenager has just come in from school, glanced at it, and remarked, "I was thinking about crumb cake earlier..."

We are going to the oldest's for Easter lunch. I had been thinking that I hope she makes some of her delicious soup.
Yesterday I spoke to her and she said she had been thinking of making soup and the daughter who lives with me chimed in saying she had been thinking of soup as well.
Usually we have chicken or sausage rolls or similar.

VERY minor coincidence.

I made a crumb cake earlier. This is something I make 2 or 3 times a year - it's certainly not on the regular rota, and the last one I made was a bit of a disaster because I thought 3/4 cup buttermilk was equivalent to 3/4 pint of buttermilk. (Pro tip - it's not.). Having taken it out of the oven, the Teenager has just come in from school, glanced at it, and remarked, "I was thinking about crumb cake earlier..."
I have heard of it previously but what is crumb cake?

Sweep all the crumbs from past meals into a container until it's full. Add water and bake in an oven.
Bon appetit!

:dsist:

Be. Careful.

Reconsider your security measures.

maximus otter

So what would you suggest for @Ghost In The Machine then? One of them there cloaking devices like what the Aliens use or a ten foot fence with barbed wire? CC TV? Just to stop people looking at what's in her garden?

Perhaps Ghost has hitherto been the sort to leave doors unlocked and windows open when she goes out ... you know ladders leaning against the wall and what not. In which case I'm sure your advice will be timely. :)

I think you are over reacting. I'd like to point out that the 'traveller' did knock?

Sollywos x

\

I would also like to know more about crumb cake. Is it like crumble cake?

It's an American thing - start by making a crumble, put some aside, then add buttermilk, egg and vanilla to the rest and it becomes a thick batter. Whack that in a tin, and then press the reserved crumbs on top before baking. Messy to eat but rather tasty. I think you might also hear it referred to as a streusel cake!

:dsist:

Be. Careful.

Reconsider your security measures.

maximus otter
LOL. Yes, I get what you mean. There's nothing we can do about it as the travellers pass all the time - big flat open fields for miles around so anyone can see into the gardens from the nearby lane - and we're the only one with a six foot fence - but caravan shows above it, so not surprised they saw it. For years we've given them our scrap metal, as do most folk round here - to the point we have their phone number... (As do most neighbours). I do have a very scary looking staffy who is a brilliant guard dog and was barking like mad behind me, the entire time we were chatting with him, and that's about all we can do, really, being in the middle of nowhere. We have security lights and the scary dog but nothing else and police can take several hours to get out here, as we've seen with past incidents (mainly our criminal neighbours who seem to occupy the local coppers far more than the travellers do), so there's bugger all can be done.

The snarling, musclebound dog screaming abuse at them is the best I can do, really. (ETA: She is a staffy jack russell cross but looks like a staffy 100%. Dogs Trust implied heavily she came from a Traveller's site, herself - so she might attract, not repel, I'm not sure! They're bred for ratting, I understand, and possibly other stuff. She's caught bugger all rats).

Will add, I come from farming stock on my mum's side. They had romanis (and I think travellers too) for weeks/months of the year on the farms round here, for generations. It's not a group of people I was brought up to feel any animosity for, have to say - my mum adored the families who came to live on the farm, throughout her childhood. Round here, they say if you're not part romani, you're not a local. (If you're from farming stock). Travellers have been here just as long, in this area. I'd prefer them any day to incoming rich second home owners...

Last edited:
Bit disappointed to read prejudiced comments concerning members of the Traveller community.

I'd point out that this thread is not intended to be a place for dispensing either security tips or views on ethnic propensities.

The first is best conducted via PM; the second is best left unsaid.

"Just because you think it, you don't have to tell us," as my mother would admonish.

I'd point out that this thread is not intended to be a place for dispensing either security tips or views on ethnic propensities.

The first is best conducted via PM; the second is best left unsaid.

"Just because you think it, you don't have to tell us," as my mother would admonish.
Yes, I wouldn't even have mentioned he was a traveller if it hadn't been for the fact we were having a very specific conversation then ten minutes later he turned up! It's not massively relevant, but just a detail without which my story would make no sense.

This is a goodun.

My eldest daughter has her very first job interview next Friday. Understandably she’s very nervous and anxious to get the job, to help her financially get through her last year at collage and then Uni.

Found out today the Interviewer and head of recruitment, at the company she wants to work for, is none other than the wife of Mr’s DT’s boss.

Like so many things in life, it’s not what you know, but who you know. :)

Little one!

I've just been mooching round the kitchen doing Sunday morning stuff to music whilst not exactly having an existential crisis but certainly pondering when I became perceived as 'competent' - I always held a view of myself as a bit flighty, possibly edging on ethereal. My phone threw up Fleetwood Mac, at which point I thought, "Yep, I imagined myself as more Stevie Nicks - or possibly Kate Bush." And in that creepy way it does, the phone picked up my thought and guess who it played next? "Hello Earth... hello Earth..."

l have to crow:

View attachment 38284

maximus otter

Yeah, yeah, whatever. Move along, nothing to see here... :lalala:

This was around the time when my younger son started telling me about "some woman" who hadn't released any new music in years but had got a big show on. I was driving whilst he burbled on, so it took me a moment to twig to whom he was referring, but it then involved me screeching, "Some woman? Some woman!" at increasing pitch before pointing out the error of his ways.

I was on the phone to one of my friends and she told me her husband had lost the keys to the garage and security system. They had searched everywhere and in all the places I suggested, having to leave things unlocked when they went out and still not finding them when they came back.
She said maybe those pesky fairies had nicked them so I suggested she ask for them back.
She did and a few seconds later her husband called out that he'd found them in the pocket of his jacket in the glassed in back porch.
I told her to say" Thankyou" to the fairies so she did.

I'm wondering if the 'fairies' nicked my camera tripods.
Maybe I should ask for them back?

Back