• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Last night (Sunday) I suddenly thought of some music by Dick Dale. It was in the context of a project I'm working on -- in a very dilatory fashion -- that includes references to contemporary music by dead musicians and song writers. I thought, "wait a minute, Dick Dale's not dead." Woke up this morning to the news that he passed on Saturday. Although it's possible I heard something in a subliminal way, I'd swear I'd had no clue about his death yesterday.

I went to a performance of his in the late 80s or early 90s, and it was the most amazing musical event I've ever been to. The ease with which he played was astonishing, and the energy transcendental. I'm sad he's gone.

Not really so strange other than being strangely swift and strangely precise.
I was reading a joke book the other day when I came across a joke about how sex in old age (for a fella) is akin to playing billiards with a piece of rope. Around 15 minutes later I was watching a clip of ken dodd and what do you know? he told the same gag about 5 minutes into the clip.

Now it is a rather obvious joke but I hadn't heard it in a good long while, I'm trying to say it isn't something commonly bandied about day to day... well anyway as always I looked to the sky and said 'oh that's unusual'

Recently I've had a sore left side (I don't know whether it is my lung or a muscle strain) but it is only minor. I went to see my mum today who is in a home near us. She is well cared for, has her own room and is relatively independent. Anyway, i got in and she complained that her left lung hurt.

A couple of decades ago she suffered from abcesses under onr arm. Despite them not being 'catching', a few months later I also briefly suffered from them.

I can't have 'owt on my own.

Couple of years back one of our cats ate a live pterodactyl or summat* and scratched her oesophagus, needing expensive veterinary treatment.
Around the same time I had a similar problem from eating roasted sprouts. Roasted sprouts! They are entirely as nasty and pointless as they sound.

*Slight exaggeration here to justify the astronomical vet bill.

Keep seeing/hearing references to Nell Gwyn - she was even an answer on Mastermind tonight. What could it mean?
Mistress, Master....Nell, pray tell.

Gwyn means white in Welsh. As in pengwyn/guin 'head-white'. Or bright-headed, like a mastermind.

John Humphrys is Welsh, and has worked for most of his life in London. Nell was of Welsh stock, born and worked in London.

I was in Heidelberg last weekend. I was strangely attracted to a second hand bookshop. It was massive. It even had two cellars. So on floor -2 is the psychology and theology department. I'm tired and overwhelmed by all the books, so I'm just staring and browsing the titles. After browsing some of the most titillating ones (yes you would too) I see a thin booklet with a very strange title: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apollo-Versus-Echomaker-Psychotherapy-Shamanism/dp/B011MDBUQ6 Apollo Versus the Echomaker: A Laingian Approach to Psychotherapy, Dreams and Shamanism

psychology.jpg

I browse it and it has a few fascinating dream descriptions, but I try not to buy too many books so I leave it there. But it stays in my head and I return later and buy it anyway. On my way to the old town I walked past a decent looking cheapish restaurant called Merlin. So I sit there with a beer and start reading the book. And the first dream is about Merlin:

merlin.jpg

@uair01 that is an interesting 'hit'. The term "Echo Maker" is so specific, unusual and...exact. Interesting

Re authors meeting their characters - I have a different problem.

Things in some of the books I have written have 'come true'. It has made me very suspicious now, and careful of what I write. I can't, for instance, write a character's brother dying, just in case...

Hmmm.. without giving specifics (no, really), I can attest to this happening twice with 'fanfic' I have written, with an interval of many years in between the two occurrences (and on different fanfic subjects as it were). Interesting that I'm not the only one then.. another example of creating our own realities perchance?

Couple of years back one of our cats ate a live pterodactyl or summat* and scratched her oesophagus, needing expensive veterinary treatment.
Around the same time I had a similar problem from eating roasted sprouts. Roasted sprouts! They are entirely as nasty and pointless as they sound.

*Slight exaggeration here to justify the astronomical vet bill.

Pah - sprouts, who needs 'em? I nearly gip when I see them, largely as a result of literally being forced to eat them by my "waste not want not" mother. Won't have them on the table and you've just given me an even better excuse to avoid. From now on it'll be "look they nearly killed escargot, take 'em away"

Pah - sprouts, who needs 'em? I nearly gip when I see them, largely as a result of literally being forced to eat them by my "waste not want not" mother. Won't have them on the table and you've just given me an even better excuse to avoid. From now on it'll be "look they nearly killed escargot, take 'em away"

Sprouts are lovely and I won't hear a bad word said against them. They are one of my absolute favourite vegetables.

They also make good sandwiches :nods: yummy. Just mash em' onto the bread.

*wishing I had sprouts now*

Sprouts are lovely and I won't hear a bad word said against them. They are one of my absolute favourite vegetables.

They also make good sandwiches :nods: yummy. Just mash em' onto the bread.

*wishing I had sprouts now*

I enjoy most vegetables except one. Greens're ace. Had spinach for lunch.

Tell you what's nice - baby sweetcorn and mange tout peas cooked together. Steamed or even better, stir-fried. Yum.

Now there's a vegetable I don't like. Sweetcorn.

And mushrooms. Weird texture, them.

I like that people are all different. T'would be boring if we were all the same. Plus if everyone liked sprouts as much as I did, there wouldn't be any when I wanted them. :D

Now there's a vegetable I don't like. Sweetcorn.

And mushrooms. Weird texture, them.

I like that people are all different. T'would be boring if we were all the same. Plus if everyone liked sprouts as much as I did, there wouldn't be any when I wanted them. :D

Ah now I LOVE sweetcorn, as the drain-men found out last year.

I loves brussels, mashed on buttery bread, but by gawd i suffer later, right good blanket lifters they are

I just had a look at the thread title, how the heck did we get this off of course, who is to blame?

All threads descend into filth in time, you should know that!

I enjoy most vegetables except one. Greens're ace. Had spinach for lunch.
I'm not veggie but eat loads of veggie food and loads (and I mean loads) of veg. Lunch today: two Cauldron veggie sausages, veggie gravy, sugarsnap peas, fine beans, leaks, carrots and broccoli!

I worked out a few years ago that eating lots of bread/potatoes/rice/pasta at lunch put me to sleep by 2.30, so now it's about 300g of vegetables (3-5 different ones) and a much smaller amount of meat or vegetable protein. As for sprouts... Christmas lunch only.

Back