• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I loves brussels, mashed on buttery bread, but by gawd i suffer later, right good blanket lifters they are

I just had a look at the thread title, how the heck did we get this off of course, who is to blame?

I've been browsing youtube playing some 80s videos (as you do) and what else came up down the side of the recommended videos but "Cars and Girls' by Prefab Sprout.

With that, I declare us back on topic.... :D

Only veg I really don't like is artichokes. Used to be fed those when I lived in France and you dipped the base in vinigrette. Mind you, I hate vinegar, so that might have prejudiced me somewhat.

We used to go on holiday when I was younger to these holiday cottages in Courtown Harbour , which is in County Wexford in Ireland. One year on the ferry over , my dad was talking about some lad he went school with, not seen him for 20 years or something, I wasn't really listening cos he was telling my mam. There's a pool there & me dad was putting our clothes in lockers when someone using the locker next to him recognised him- it was one of his mates from school there with his family. This particular bloke lives in England now so just seemed really random he would run into him there. We thought that was a bit random & I think classes as a strange coincidence ? Idk

The world is a lot smaller than we imagine, Happiness. I was on a visit to my cousin who lived in Slough from my home in Exeter, one school summer holiday. Cousin's mum (my aunt) decided to take us to Windsor Castle for the day - where who should I walk into, but a friend from school. Neither of us had known the other was anywhere other than Exeter, and it was just fluke that we happened to be in Windsor on the same day.

On the other hand, I was recently in Scaramanga Market in Hobart in Tasmania with my daughter who lives in Melbourne. She put some pictures of our visit up on Facebook and got a reply saying 'we were there then!' from an old schoolfriend of hers who now lives in Queensland. When we looked at her pictures, we think we've even managed to capture said schoolfriend in the corner of one of our pics, but without knowing. So we'd all travelled to Hobart for the weekend, and managed to miss one another in a tiny area of a very small town. So I guess it works both ways.

That's really interesting catseye , I suppose it is a small world ! We always say what are the chances ? But maybe they aren't that slim after all

Recently we decided it was time to get another dog. Our greyhound, Henry has (as I mentioned on another thread) bone cancer, and our border collie, Sweep adores him, and will be bereft when the time comes. So, my brother in law (living in Kent) has adopted two dogs from Romania and we decided to follow suit. Contacted the charity, picked out a couple of dogs, had a long chat with one of the volunteers who lives in Kenilworth and mentioned in passing that she is presently fostering a dog who may be suitable. Not a dog I would have picked, but decided that as we were going to be in Walsall the next weekend we’d go see her.... my eldest niece lives in Kenilworth, and we arranged to meet up with her for lunch after meeting the volunteer and dog. Turns out she lives in the same street as eldest niece, directly opposite... neat coincidence, and the dog was a perfect fit- she’s been with us a month now

Of course! This is Bettie- formerly Petra. Which reminds me of the next coincidence... yesterday the charity had a litter of puppies dumped at the Romanian kennels. I sponsored one, and named her (sponsorship costs £30, covers vaccinations and you get to name the pup). All are now sponsored, and one of the other puppies has been called Petra, too.
EB11786E-67D7-41A7-BF61-10463DD8D1F8.jpeg

The world is a lot smaller than we imagine, Happiness. I was on a visit to my cousin who lived in Slough from my home in Exeter, one school summer holiday. Cousin's mum (my aunt) decided to take us to Windsor Castle for the day - where who should I walk into, but a friend from school. Neither of us had known the other was anywhere other than Exeter, and it was just fluke that we happened to be in Windsor on the same day.

On the other hand, I was recently in Scaramanga Market in Hobart in Tasmania with my daughter who lives in Melbourne. She put some pictures of our visit up on Facebook and got a reply saying 'we were there then!' from an old schoolfriend of hers who now lives in Queensland. When we looked at her pictures, we think we've even managed to capture said schoolfriend in the corner of one of our pics, but without knowing. So we'd all travelled to Hobart for the weekend, and managed to miss one another in a tiny area of a very small town. So I guess it works both ways.
My wife lived in Hobart as a child.

Minor coincidence : my brother does a bit of gardening and in September a client asked him to pick up a couple of Indian Bean Trees (not beans, not from India), from a local Garden Centre. We looked but couldn't find any (apparently all sold out) and no other Centre stocked them. Oh well.
Yesterday I was walking up from London King's Cross to Work and spotted several large soggy pods in the gutter - they were still there this morning so I picked one up to examine. It was a pod from an Indian Bean Tree with 25 seeds in it. Looked up - there was the tree, no leaves just pods. Will see if they germinate.

View attachment 13669

Little update on the beans from the Indian Bean Tree I sold the cow for found in King's Cross in Winter. If they are Catalpa bignonioides (not from India, not a bean) then they sure look 'beany' after germination. Guess identification will be more certain if they reach 15-18m in height.

Indian_Bean0167A.jpg

Morning,yes Catseye, it is a small world. On my way to work yesterday, sat next to a woman you just stared at me. She said that I looked familiar, asked me about a school that me kids went to, she went to the same school but was two years older than my kids..... Even weirder, was the woman opposite her, went to the same school as her..... Also her husband works at the same airport as me,as an aircraft engineer. All because I cleared away a painted egg( that's another story!!!!).

Of course! This is Bettie- formerly Petra. Which reminds me of the next coincidence... yesterday the charity had a litter of puppies dumped at the Romanian kennels. I sponsored one, and named her (sponsorship costs £30, covers vaccinations and you get to name the pup). All are now sponsored, and one of the other puppies has been called Petra, too. View attachment 16475
Good girl! Good humans!

I thought I’d post this on here.

Was sitting at a table in the local library last Friday afternoon reading a copy of that days Times, when an old chap came and sat down opposite me. I noticed he had a military badge sewn onto the breast pocket of his blazer, and I could see it was the emblem of the Middlesex regiment.

Veterans of the Middlesex very proudly call themselves diehards, and I know this as my old man served with the Middlesex in the 1950’s.

I mentioned to the gent that he was once a diehard, and he was both delighted and surprised that someone of my age group, (I’m 48) would know the nickname of an Army Regiment that was disbanded by the MOD (tosser’s) in the 1960’s - I told him about the old man and he asked my Dads surname, and it turned out that not only had they known each other, they were once great pals.

I asked the chap when he had last seen my Dad, and he replied sometime in 1954, so obviously I got the mobile out and they spoke ,and are meeting up next week for a drink.

I will definitely go along to this drink, and if my old man doesn’t mind will film their initial meet on my IPhone – just for the sake of posterity.

What a happy, coincidence that was, bearing in mind that I don’t go to the library very often, and the old chap doesn’t even live in the town, he lives over 30 miles away and was only in town visiting his grandson.

I thought I’d post this on here.

Was sitting at a table in the local library last Friday afternoon reading a copy of that days Times, when an old chap came and sat down opposite me. I noticed he had a military badge sewn onto the breast pocket of his blazer, and I could see it was the emblem of the Middlesex regiment.

Veterans of the Middlesex very proudly call themselves diehards, and I know this as my old man served with the Middlesex in the 1950’s.

I mentioned to the gent that he was once a diehard, and he was both delighted and surprised that someone of my age group, (I’m 48) would know the nickname of an Army Regiment that was disbanded by the MOD (tosser’s) in the 1960’s - I told him about the old man and he asked my Dads surname, and it turned out that not only had they known each other, they were once great pals.

I asked the chap when he had last seen my Dad, and he replied sometime in 1954, so obviously I got the mobile out and they spoke ,and are meeting up next week for a drink.

I will definitely go along to this drink, and if my old man doesn’t mind will film their initial meet on my IPhone – just for the sake of posterity.

What a happy, coincidence that was, bearing in mind that I don’t go to the library very often, and the old chap doesn’t even live in the town, he lives over 30 miles away and was only in town visiting his grandson.

What a great occurrence!
Love hearing things like this.

Happened to a friend that he met an old man at a synagogue.
They got chatting and the man told him about being a Prisoner of War in 1948 in the Israel War of Independence.
My friend told him that his dad had also been a POW....when he mentioned his dad's name the old man did a double-take...they had been in the same POW camp in Egypt together and had lost touch for over 50 years!

My friend arranged a meeting for them the following week, which then sparked an official re-union for the surviving members of their platoon soon after.

Recently we decided it was time to get another dog. Our greyhound, Henry has (as I mentioned on another thread) bone cancer, and our border collie, Sweep adores him, and will be bereft when the time comes. So, my brother in law (living in Kent) has adopted two dogs from Romania and we decided to follow suit. Contacted the charity, picked out a couple of dogs, had a long chat with one of the volunteers who lives in Kenilworth and mentioned in passing that she is presently fostering a dog who may be suitable. Not a dog I would have picked, but decided that as we were going to be in Walsall the next weekend we’d go see her.... my eldest niece lives in Kenilworth, and we arranged to meet up with her for lunch after meeting the volunteer and dog. Turns out she lives in the same street as eldest niece, directly opposite... neat coincidence, and the dog was a perfect fit- she’s been with us a month now

What a beautiful dog :) I hope you have many happy years with Bettie, and I'm sure Sweep will like his new friend. And commiserations about Henry.

It seems like Bettie was meant to be for you.

Back