• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
... The glass was a modern Gin glass, not sure if you have them in the states, but it’s a large glass bowl with a stem and a base – a bit like a very large wine glass.
The stem had broken away from the base, and the top of the glass was broken with a large triangle shape. It was not shattered. ...

Ahhhh ... I see ... Thanks for the clarification.

My family were still talking about it 10 years later Hunck, my Dad and eldest brother being mad Spurs fans and my Mother and her side being mad Arsenal fans.

I'm not surprised, football fans have long memories when it comes to that sort of thing. Any excuse for some ribbing.

Brady signed for West Ham back in the late 80’s, and scored a similar goal at Upton Park against Arsenal if I remember rightly.

I was at the Boleyn Ground for that game.
Metal detectors and all.
Being an Arsenal fan, I stood behind the goal he scored in.
Was nice goal, but not on the level of his great goal vs Spurs.
A few of us applauded, as it was Brady.
You will seldom if ever see a Gooner applaud a West Ham goal!

Takes me into a sort of co-incidence.

After the game we got chraged by police horses, and then coined at the station.
I did not get hit, but it was close!

At school the next day the two West Ham fans in my year came up to me laughing.
"We almost got you" they said...they had seen me near the station and chucked coins at me.
And they were friends of mine!

I was at the Boleyn Ground for that game.
Metal detectors and all.
Being an Arsenal fan, I stood behind the goal he scored in.
Was nice goal, but not on the level of his great goal vs Spurs.
A few of us applauded, as it was Brady.
You will seldom if ever see a Gooner applaud a West Ham goal!

Takes me into a sort of co-incidence.

After the game we got chraged by police horses, and then coined at the station.
I did not get hit, but it was close!

At school the next day the two West Ham fans in my year came up to me laughing.
"We almost got you" they said...they had seen me near the station and chucked coins at me.
And they were friends of mine!

Another coincidence as I was also at that game Vic. I can’t remember why, but my brother couldn’t make, so I blagged his season ticket.

I was standing in the chicken run, with a bunch of his very rough mates. The chicken run was that terrace to the right of where you were standing behind the goal.

It’s possible you could have seen me, as I was the only fan that night sporting a red and white Orient FC flat cap :)

Quite a few minor coincidences lately.

Last week, I watched some Monty Python clips on Youtube. The next day, Terry Jones died.
The same day I'd watched the Four Yorkshiremen sketch. The next day, someone on Twitter referred to it.

In the Fizzy Custard thread, Victory talks about Egg Cream, something I didn't know about. A few days later, Atlas Obscura posts an article about it.
The thread discussed exploding custard powder. Then Youtube recommended a clip of QI for me - it was about exploding custard powder.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/fizzy-custard.66829/page-3#post-1927536

Last night, we watched Captain Marvel on DVD. Quite a decent film.

Then today, some Brie Larson haters launch a petition wanting her replaced.

All this talk of football ones reminds me of something happened to Son 5 last year.

He had a ticket to a Liverpool game and really wanted to go (he goes to loads as he's in a supporters' group who usually manage to get tickets). Something - I totally forget what - happened and he couldn't go to that one. He was gutted. It was a big game and he'd been really excited about going. Week or so later, with the money he saved from not going to that match, he went to a smaller game.

Went to pub with his mates before game but they got split up somehow and he ended up going in by a different turnstile to all his mates. As he went through, he recognised Trent Alexander Arnold at the same turnstile. He'd had an injury and was out that game and decided to go and watch with the fans. At the point son saw him, he wasn't being mobbed by people - almost no-one had clocked him, yet - so son plucked up courage and went upto him and got a selfie with him. Trent was apparently lovely - and son has that great photo with Trent forever. If he'd gone to the game he was supposed to, he'd not have had the money to go the following week - and if he'd not got split up from his mates he'd have been at another turnstile. And if he'd been with a group of people, Trent might not have had time to stop as he'd have had to do a selfie with everyone...

Totally made my kid's year, let alone day.

On the coach home, everyone knew/saw from a distance Trent had been at the game, but son was only one that had a chat with him and got a photo. Totally wouldn't have happened if he'd not had the big disappointment the game or so before.

I'd never 'heard of'im, not being a footie fan, but he sounds like a sweet guy! A great role model for the youngsters.
He's only a couple of years older than my Liverpool fan sons, too but a great role model. Fans love him because he's a scouser. I think he was already my son's favourite.

ETA: Also responsible, not long after, for my favourite ever moment in football:

I had a builder round on Saturday to quote for some work in my kitchen. Turns out that he owns a house in Nottingham on the same road that my boyfriend's family lived on when he was young. Probably not that weird until you think that we live in Bristol and the builder is South African. As we all exclaimed 'Oooh, small world!'

I had a builder round on Saturday to quote for some work in my kitchen. Turns out that he owns a house in Nottingham on the same road that my boyfriend's family lived on when he was young. Probably not that weird until you think that we live in Bristol and the builder is South African. As we all exclaimed 'Oooh, small world!'
I had to call for an ambulance a few years back (I collapsed back at home after some hospital treatment), when the paramedics arrived from Norwich and just before they got me into the ambulance, one of them said "I expect you know my brother Steve, he lives next door to you" .. I nodded and he said "He's weird isn't he?" so I nodded again because he is and the Mrs laughed.

I was eventually allocated a bed on a ward and the patient in the bed next to mine was my other next door neighbour.

My dad used to sit about three seats away from the VIP area in the Sir Tom Finney stand at PNE. He passed away about 18 months ago.

But he always took his autograph book and had an amazing number of autographs in it. Roy Keane, Kevin Keegan, Delia Smith, David Beckham and loads of others, including former PNE players who few people on here would know (including former PNE legend 'The Black Prince' Alex Dawson).

I was with him when Kevin Keegan was there three home games on the trot (he bought a player for Man City Johnny Macken). The second time my dad got his attention and asked him if he was looking for job there. Keegan said "I'm not that desperate yet." Cheeky sod.

I know that no one on here is particularly interested but Alex Dawson is on this clip scoring for PNE in the 1964 FA Cup Final (I'll shut up about footy now 'cos I've had a drink...):

Last edited:
A Scouser at work is a fanatical Liverpool fan. Any footie bits and bobs I come across from other teams - lanyards, badges, discarded ticket stubs etc - are taped to his locker.

He goes MAD. I am not a suspect.

By a strange coincidence, a friend of mine was complaining of someone defacing his locker with football stuff! I'll have to ask him if he knows you.

The Medic had a patient walk in a while ago, sit down and say, "Hasn't Steve got a nice kitchen?" Patient is an AGA engineer, and had been out to service our best friends' Aga the week before; they got to chatting and made the connection!

Listening to the car radio, only vaguely last week, the year 1974 was mentioned. I had just been visiting a sick friend and we had been talking about the fact that 1974 had been a very good year for both of us for different reasons. Directly in front of me was a car with the registration 1974 **. A very rare and old combination of letters and numbers for a UK car. Funny little coincidence.

Internet coincidence: when my daughter was a couple of years old, I joined a mum's group related to the month and year of her birth. These are women from all over the world, whose connection is that their kids happened to be born in the same month as my little Squish.

Except - I glanced at a work colleague's computer screen when she was on Facebook, and recognised the picture of one of her old school friends as a member of this group. Then a couple of years later it turned out that a different colleague had been best friends at school with another member of the group. Of all the people in all the world... I'm like "Whoa!" (Although it does mean that I occasionally have to bite my online tongue, but that's a good skill to have, right?)

Internet coincidence: when my daughter was a couple of years old, I joined a mum's group related to the month and year of her birth. These are women from all over the world, whose connection is that their kids happened to be born in the same month as my little Squish.

Except - I glanced at a work colleague's computer screen when she was on Facebook, and recognised the picture of one of her old school friends as a member of this group. Then a couple of years later it turned out that a different colleague had been best friends at school with another member of the group. Of all the people in all the world... I'm like "Whoa!" (Although it does mean that I occasionally have to bite my online tongue, but that's a good skill to have, right?)
I'm suddenly fascinated by this phenomenon that until 2 minutes ago I had no idea existed. Presumably there are similar groups for each month and year combination over the past couple of decades or so? I wonder if the numbers and demographics are broadly the same in each group, or if there are significant differences.

Also, statistically, they reckon there's a 1/23 chance that any two people in a large enough group will share a birthday. So the odds presumably decrease if we're just talking about months, not days, but then increase again as you add years. Again, I'd reckon about 20 years, given the length of time people have been online. So, say, 240 groups? I don't know maths well enough to calculate the probability of any two people's children sharing a birth month and year, but it's got to be somewhat higher than day and month, right?

The kicker, of course, is how many of those people choose to join the relevant appropriate Facebook group.

I'm suddenly fascinated by this phenomenon that until 2 minutes ago I had no idea existed. Presumably there are similar groups for each month and year combination over the past couple of decades or so? I wonder if the numbers and demographics are broadly the same in each group, or if there are significant differences.

Also, statistically, they reckon there's a 1/23 chance that any two people in a large enough group will share a birthday. So the odds presumably decrease if we're just talking about months, not days, but then increase again as you add years. Again, I'd reckon about 20 years, given the length of time people have been online. So, say, 240 groups? I don't know maths well enough to calculate the probability of any two people's children sharing a birth month and year, but it's got to be somewhat higher than day and month, right?

The kicker, of course, is how many of those people choose to join the relevant appropriate Facebook group.
I've never really understood this 1/23 chance thing which I've heard before, but it's over 40 years since I studied statistics. :(. On the face of it should it not be 1 in 365?

If all things were equal then babies would be born in equally spaced intervals throughout the year. Perhaps they are.
However, here's something I read many years ago in the Guardian, as well as I can remember -

In the past it was the custom for couples to marry in high summer, usually June, on the assumption that they will immediately start a family. Should they conceive in the first few weeks or months afterwards their first baby would be born in the following late spring or the summer, which is a safer time for both the mother and child.
It's warmer, the nights are not damp, days are longer, it's easier to dry washing, fresh foods would be available for weaning, etc. A baby born in November or December would have a harder time and might not thrive.

I've never really understood this 1/23 chance thing which I've heard before, but it's over 40 years since I studied statistics. :(. On the face of it should it not be 1 in 365?

In a group of 23, the odds of two people having the same birthday is roughly 50/50. In a group of 70, there's a 99.9% chance. The maths behind it is explained quite clearly here :

https://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-birthday-paradox/

If you want brainhurty maths, try the Wikipedia page, which goes into far more detail than is decent in polite society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

MrsCarlos has worked in midwifery for many a year- it's common knowledge in the 'industry' that late September and early October have a significantly higher birth rate. All the Christmas and New Year nookie innit.

Inforgraphic on this page.
There's a new tell-all book out about the stresses of NHS midwifery. I read about it in the Times yesterday.

It's published under the pseudonym of 'Philippa George'. I bet Mrs Carlos knows about it.

MrsCarlos has worked in midwifery for many a year- it's common knowledge in the 'industry' that late September and early October have a significantly higher birth rate. All the Christmas and New Year nookie innit.

Ahem, my younger son was due Christmas Eve - didn't show up until New Year's Eve, but it turned out there had been a big surge in births at the local maternity unit in the previous couple of weeks. Because 9 months previously coincided with Easter!

Ahem, my younger son was due Christmas Eve - didn't show up until New Year's Eve, but it turned out there had been a big surge in births at the local maternity unit in the previous couple of weeks. Because 9 months previously coincided with Easter!
Someone I knew years ago was born on Christmas day. Whenever Christmas or birthdays were mentioned he would whine and whinge that he only ever got one lot of presents. Not in a humorous way either, the MOG. Did this into his 50's as well, until his untimely early death- on Christmas day. There has to be a moral in there somewhere, but it escapes me what it might be.

There has to be a moral in there somewhere, but it escapes me what it might be.

We play the hand we're dealt? Don't be a grumpy old curmudgeon? What goes around comes around?

Cultivate gratitude? And don't waste life by insisting on not having fun?

Someone I knew years ago was born on Christmas day. Whenever Christmas or birthdays were mentioned he would whine and whinge that he only ever got one lot of presents. Not in a humorous way either, the MOG. Did this into his 50's as well, until his untimely early death- on Christmas day. There has to be a moral in there somewhere, but it escapes me what it might be.
What did he die of? /morbid

Back