• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Does Man Utd have to pay Cristiano Ronaldo, or the other way around?

Does Man Utd have to pay Cristiano Ronaldo, or the other way around?
The club pays the other club for players, usually with a cut going to their agent, sometimes the player too, but it is reported that Ronaldo will be the highest paid player in the Premier League when he signs, meaning his salary will reportedly be about £480,000 a week, a drop from the £950,000 he was on at Juventus.

The club pays the other club for players, usually with a cut going to their agent, sometimes the player too, but it is reported that Ronaldo will be the highest paid player in the Premier League when he signs, meaning his salary will reportedly be about £480,000 a week, a drop from the £950,000 he was on at Juventus.
Sorry - I'm probably a lone voice, but I find this stuff appallingly disgusting.

How does anyone even spend £480,000 in a week, every week? And on what?
(sensible answers only please)
Gold. Tattoos. Cocaine. Call girls/boys.
Flashy cars. Expensive clothes and dinners.

And that's sensible?
Poor bloke. Not even any gambling and liquor.

It does make me think of the film "Brewsters Millions" though, in which Richard Pryor plays a chap who stands to inherit a multi-million dollar fortune, but learns that his great-uncle has in fact left him $300 million.
However, to inherit it, Brewster must spend $30 million in 30 days under a complicated set of rules that forbid him from donating too much to charity or retaining any new assets when the period is up.
Despite making (what he thinks are) terrible investments he repeatedly manages to inadvertently make more money instead though.

It does make me think of the film "Brewsters Millions" though, in which Richard Pryor plays a chap who stands to inherit a multi-million dollar fortune, but learns that his great-uncle has in fact left him $300 million.
However, to inherit it, Brewster must spend $30 million in 30 days under a complicated set of rules that forbid him from donating too much to charity or retaining any new assets when the period is up.
Despite making (what he thinks are) terrible investments he repeatedly manages to inadvertently make more money instead though.
I love that film, "none of the above" :p

Ronaldo? ... property investment, bribing officials, clothes that look like he got them from NEXT.

This wage doesn't include any image rights payments, personal sponsorship, or money made from his 'CR7' range of products.

"As per CelebrityNetWorth, Ronaldo's net worth is $500 million and his salary is $70 million. Ronaldo also earns a massive amount of income from endorsement deals. As per Forbes, his annual endorsement earnings come to around $50 million."

https://meaww.com/cristiano-ronaldo...for-every-social-media-post-juventus-man-city

I have been told that beyond a certain amount (say for argument £30 million, as in Brewster's Millions - these days it may be more) it's actually not possible to spend it faster than it earns more money.

I suppose you could draw it all out and fling it out of windows or something.

Sorry - I'm probably a lone voice, but I find this stuff appallingly disgusting.
Definitely not a lone voice, mate, it is disgusting, I've been saying the same for years.

The only, small, justification for paying sports people a higher than usual wage is that their playing career can be quite short, and they can't all become managers or coaches after, but honestly, the money they get paid for the privilege of doing a game as a job is obscene!

(If I ran the world, there would be a maximum wage as well as a minimum one! I'd be quite generous though, £5000 or £10000 a week is more than enough for any one person)

Definitely not a lone voice, mate, it is disgusting, I've been saying the same for years.

The only, small, justification for paying sports people a higher than usual wage is that their playing career can be quite short, and they can't all become managers or coaches after, but honestly, the money they get paid for the privilege of doing a game as a job is obscene!

(If I ran the world, there would be a maximum wage as well as a minimum one! I'd be quite generous though, £5000 or £10000 a week is more than enough for any one person)
As long as they are paying their full whack of tax I wouldn't mind so much, but it seems the more you can afford to pay your accountant the more tax you can avoid. (Tax avoidance is legal, tax evasion is not).

I've had the most ridiculous sequence of name coincidences today; I listened to two, non-consecutive episodes of Punt PI earlier, and they both had experts with my son's, fairly unusual, surname in them (one of them shared a shortened version of his first name with him as well!).

Then my son killed a boss in his MMO, which shared a name with my Star Stable online character :chuckle:

Back