• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
There's no such thing as 'bad weather', just the wrong clothing.
I thought this was a reply to my post on the Halloween thread about not expecting many little callers tonight.

Yeah, make the little beggars do the rounds in flimsy fancy dress if they want their Quality Street! :rollingw:

More work related coincidences.

I was talking to a customer named Callum, when an email arrived from a work colleague...named Callum.

Had a day of some quite combative customers, made the day drag on and made me feel tired, then a call came in from one who sounded cheery and good natured.
He mentioned that he was also from London, but now living in another part of the country.
Turned out he was from my local area, and we ended up chatting about local history for a bit.
Interesting man, had knowledge of industrial history.
Then it turned out he was born in the same hospital as me.

A kind of kindred spirit.

A friend of mine has 2 dogs that she walks at a local country park once a week. Busy place, always full of families and dog walkers. Two or three years ago she’d finished their walk and got back to the car only to find she’d lost her keys. In a bit of a panic she began to retrace her steps. A woman coming the other way with her dog could see she was looking for something, and said “Have you lost your car keys by any chance?” J said yes, and the woman produced the keys from her pocket, saying “I found these by the lake, are they them?” They were, much relief all round, J and her wife had a bunch of flowers sent to the finder, and has been much more careful ever since. Yesterday, she was at the country park, and spotted a mobile phone on the ground. She picked it up, planning to post it on the local FB group when she got home. A minute or two later, she spots an anxious looking woman walking towards her, and says “I don’t suppose you’ve lost your mobile phone?” Woman says yes, describes the phone, J produces the one she’d found, and surely enough, it’s the right phone. They exchange pleasantries, J saying that she understands how stressful it is, she lost her keys a couple of years ago, and some kind lady found them… the woman says “Oh my god! I thought you looked familiar!” Yes, she was the key finder from 2 or three years back.

We’ll, *I* thought it was a great coincidence!

A friend of mine has 2 dogs that she walks at a local country park once a week. Busy place, always full of families and dog walkers. Two or three years ago she’d finished their walk and got back to the car only to find she’d lost her keys. In a bit of a panic she began to retrace her steps. A woman coming the other way with her dog could see she was looking for something, and said “Have you lost your car keys by any chance?” J said yes, and the woman produced the keys from her pocket, saying “I found these by the lake, are they them?” They were, much relief all round, J and her wife had a bunch of flowers sent to the finder, and has been much more careful ever since. Yesterday, she was at the country park, and spotted a mobile phone on the ground. She picked it up, planning to post it on the local FB group when she got home. A minute or two later, she spots an anxious looking woman walking towards her, and says “I don’t suppose you’ve lost your mobile phone?” Woman says yes, describes the phone, J produces the one she’d found, and surely enough, it’s the right phone. They exchange pleasantries, J saying that she understands how stressful it is, she lost her keys a couple of years ago, and some kind lady found them… the woman says “Oh my god! I thought you looked familiar!” Yes, she was the key finder from 2 or three years back.

We’ll, *I* thought it was a great coincidence!
Nice that the kindness was repaid in kind(ness)

Yesterday, Madame Snail posted in the jokes thread:
Does anyone know about cars?
What does it mean when this light comes on?

View attachment 47943
Tonight, on my way home from work, I saw a car stopped in the other carriageway with its bonnet up and, sure enough, flames flickering in the engine bay. I've never seen that before in thirty years of driving.

This morning my manager said, "I'm off on leave this afternoon. I'm going to a friend's mother's funeral."
"That's strange," I replied. "This afternoon is my friend's dad's funeral."
I'm sure the odds on that must be reasonably low.

This morning my manager said, "I'm off on leave this afternoon. I'm going to a friend's mother's funeral."
"That's strange," I replied. "This afternoon is my friend's dad's funeral."
I'm sure the odds on that must be reasonably low.
It's my mum's cremation tomorrow...

It's been a while since I had a coincidence to report, but this was moderately striking.

I was reading through today's Quora an hour or so back, which included an account of the last execution by guillotine in France in 1977.
I had just posted a comment about it to the "Consciousness Continuing After Beheading" thread, when I heard some post being delivered through our letterbox. There was a small package for my wife, containing some earrings she had ordered a few days ago, after we saw something very similar featured on QI.
Here she is modelling them:

earrings.JPG

It's been a while since I had a coincidence to report, but this was moderately striking.

I was reading through today's Quora an hour or so back, which included an account of the last execution by guillotine in France in 1977.
I had just posted a comment about it to the "Consciousness Continuing After Beheading" thread, when I heard some post being delivered through our letterbox. There was a small package for my wife, containing some earrings she had ordered a few days ago, after we saw something very similar featured on QI.

View attachment 48264
Guillotine earrings?

View attachment 48264
And in a double co incidence, I came to your post straight after the 'consciousness continuing' thread where I'd just learned about the last execution in France.

View attachment 48264
I seem to remember guillotine trinkets being mentioned in Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. They were sold as souvenirs at executions.

To be honest it wasn't really that much of a co incidence, Consciousness Continuing' was at the top of the 'What's New' list and @blessmycottonsocks post was the newest post on this thread. I just went from one to the next.

I seem to remember guillotine trinkets being mentioned in Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. They were sold as souvenirs at executions.
Exactly. That's what the QI programme was discussing and my wife liked the look of the earrings and so Googled for a pair.
I think they are supposed to be worn ironically for Bastille Day celebrations or maybe Hallowe'en.

View attachment 48264
Those earrings are awesome, and I was reading about the life of Charles Henri Sanson (France's official executioner) last week! I also seem to recall that Sir Christopher Lee was in attendance of the last execution by guillotine.

Last edited:
Airbnb guest, young army man, was telling me yesterday of his plans to start himself up as a mentor to troubled kids.

Light heartedly I said "I look forward to you getting your MBE".
He said "I've already got one".

I looked him up. He really does. Apart from saying nothing I could have easily said OBE, or Knighthood or Prince's Trust or Pride of Britain. So I was highly amused by my seeming psychic flash and certain synchronicity.

I was telling people about it this morning.

This afternoon a new guest, Danish medical student, mentioned he'll be attending some conference or lecture in the week and though he'd never heard of her the lady presenting it was apparently quite famous. I shrugged at the unfamiliar name and said "maybe she's on TV". He smiled to suggest a foreigner's cautious belief his next statement might be a clear indication of her elevated status "She's an MBE!".

An hour later I'm watching a random YouTube video about WW2 mysteries or the like and the double agent Garbo. It ended with the line that he received an Iron Cross from the Germans and "was made a Member of the order of the British Empire.

It took several seconds for that last detail to sink in...

Chatting to a friend earlier about terrorist threats (as you do) and he reminded me how often I've come within the proximity of terrorist actions.

In the late 80's I spent a fortnight at the Sahara Beach hotel in Monastir, Tunisia with the ex Mrs SHS and a month or so after we'd been there it was bombed. Then in 2005 I was on my way to a business meeting when the Tavistock Sq bomb went off on 7/11 about a quarter of a mile from me (heard the blast). In 2010 I was in Times Sq in NY when a bomb was left in a car that failed to detonate and in 2015 I drove through the town of Banning, California around 15 minutes before a guy opened fire on random strangers, killing two and injuring several more.

Hoping nothing else happens but people are starting to get a bit wary of travelling with me

My brother went on a business trip to (IIRC) Brighton one year (late 80s?) and when he got to the Bed & Breakfast early evening there was no answer at the door, so he left his suitcase in the entrance/porch thing, and went off into town for something to eat and have a beer.
When he returned a couple of hours later he found the road sealed off by Police and there was a UXB unit in attendance, rolling out one of those little tracked vehicles to deal with a bomb.
So he hung around for a while hoping to get to his B&B soon, but then realised that the focus of the attention was the same place.
After speaking to one of the coppers he found out that they were treating a suitcase as a suspicious item.
My brother had to sheepishly inform them that that was his suitcase and all that was in it was some toiletries, a couple of changes of underwear and his suit, shirt and tie.

A mate of mine who sadly passed away a few years ago, once phoned me. There was a hostage situation on his street with armed police in attendance. He wasn't allowed to leave his house or pass by any windows.

He was a bit annoyed, as if he had known, he would have made some butties and a flask of coffe and got a bag of crisps.

Mind, he also once phone me up to tell me to switch the TV to channel 4, as there was a woman snogging a horse.

Random diversion, please continue...

Last Saturday night, Mrs DT, my eldest daughter, and I, were sitting in the living room chatting away about this and that, when the conversation drifted off to what my daughter remembered about her very young life, before we made the move out of London and into the Countryside.

Not much was the reply (she was only 4 when we moved) She did however say that she remembered for first day with her new child minder – a very nice lady by the name of Jean.

As we were chatting about Jean, my daughter’s phone pinged, and it was a Facebook friend request from none other than Jean.

We haven’t thought about or even seen Jean in over 10 years, when Jean retired from childminding.

How very strange eh..?

Back