• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Before I came home from the hospital yesterday the head of rehab was explaining the medications I would be taking home.
I mentioned that my friend had said her husband had been treated by a doctor of the same name 22 years ago.
He asked the name and he said" Oh yes, that was John M, he had a stroke".
I thought what a coincidence and also what a marvellous memory.

I am not a Formula 1 follower.

But I had a strange coincidence involving a specific Formula 1 driver within an hour of this morning's email editing and looking at web sites, FT included.

I mentioned, once before in this Strange Coincidence thread, that I get an email link every morning to a Trivia quiz. (That mention was about the physical resemblance between a long dead poet named Katherine Bates and the current actress, Kathy Bates.)

This morning, the quiz included this question, below:

Trivia8:1:22.png

I guessed the answer and got lucky. Then, for no particular reason, I perused the "Whinge Thread, Resurrected." I ran across this recent post:

WhingeThread8:1:22.png

I can see how the Trivia editors might insert that Formula 1 question because perhaps they ran across the retirement announcement.... but what led me to "The Whinge Thread," one that I don't normally peruse and one I never posted on, to my recollection?

Does Sebastian Vettel have a connection to the Paranormal?

About a useless premonition-like coincidence :

In 2013, I had imprudently bought a large amount of stock from a biotechnology company doing research on a possible cure for cancer. Initially, their research seemed promising, and the value of their shares almost doubled. However, I got somewhat enamoured with the company and refused to sell my shares, waiting for the company to issue their revolutionary treatment and save the world (how naive I was ...). Unfortunately, they miserably failed, and after years of research leading (almost) nowhere, the value of my stock had fallen by more or less 90%, turning this company into what we call a "penny stock". My patience exhausted, I finally decided to sell most of my shares about five months ago and I "forgot" about the whole adventure. Or so I thought ...

Yesterday, in the early hours of the morning, I was having a bad night because of drinking too much rosé wine, and
I dreamt that I had kept my shares in this business, and that their value was suddenly rising just enough for me to make up for my losses. During this dream I was conscious that this was utter nonsense, but was nonetheless grateful for this happy ending. I woke up, thinking that dreams are really made of bullsh*t and wondering what had spurred me to imagine I could ever regain my incinerated savings.

Later in that day I thought to myself "hey, it's been a long time since I did not check the price of this stock ! Let's go have a look and check how much more money I would have lost if had had kept my shares". So I opened my computer and checked the share price. To my utter amazement, within a couple of hours, the share price had risen by 40 %, which was a complete oddity.

I was left wondering how my dreams could have hinted so accurately at this most unexpected turn of events, the very day I had dreamt of a "miracle" on the stock exchange ... Needless to say, I had never dreamt such a thing before.

Probably a coincidence, but what a striking one ! I am still at pains to explain how my mind managed to foresee that something "positive" would happen to this business, at such short notice.

About a useless premonition-like coincidence :

In 2013, I had imprudently bought a large amount of stock from a biotechnology company doing research on a possible cure for cancer. Initially, their research seemed promising, and the value of their shares almost doubled. However, I got somewhat enamoured with the company and refused to sell my shares, waiting for the company to issue their revolutionary treatment and save the world (how naive I was ...). Unfortunately, they miserably failed, and after years of research leading (almost) nowhere, the value of my stock had fallen by more or less 90%, turning this company into what we call a "penny stock". My patience exhausted, I finally decided to sell most of my shares about five months ago and I "forgot" about the whole adventure. Or so I thought ...

Yesterday, in the early hours of the morning, I was having a bad night because of drinking too much rosé wine, and
I dreamt that I had kept my shares in this business, and that their value was suddenly rising just enough for me to make up for my losses. During this dream I was conscious that this was utter nonsense, but was nonetheless grateful for this happy ending. I woke up, thinking that dreams are really made of bullsh*t and wondering what had spurred me to imagine I could ever regain my incinerated savings.

Later in that day I thought to myself "hey, it's been a long time since I did not check the price of this stock ! Let's go have a look and check how much more money I would have lost if had had kept my shares". So I opened my computer and checked the share price. To my utter amazement, within a couple of hours, the share price had risen by 40 %, which was a complete oddity.

I was left wondering how my dreams could have hinted so accurately at this most unexpected turn of events, the very day I had dreamt of a "miracle" on the stock exchange ... Needless to say, I had never dreamt such a thing before.

Probably a coincidence, but what a striking one ! I am still at pains to explain how my mind managed to foresee that something "positive" would happen to this business, at such short notice.
Might be wise to try to find the reason why/how, the stock price has risen!

Might be wise to try to find the reason why/how, the stock price has risen!

Well ... Apparently, this is because one of their clinical trials, which had been temporarily suspended by the FDA, finally resumed. But there's still a long way to go for them to get close to their goals. The truth is that the stock exchange is a actually a very fortean place !

Sometimes businesses who thrive or have good prospects loose half of their value for no apparent reason, and sometimes worthless companies sky-rocket. Theology is probably a far more "rational" business than than trading.

I get an email every Friday from a local musician and violin tutor. He writes about various aspects of classical music and musicians. I seldom have time to read them.... but this morning this caught my eye:
ClassicalMusic2.png

I don't delete it and decide to read it later.

So, I'm at my computer, with the Verizon music channel playing on the TV. The television is positioned such that I can't see the the TV screen, which displays brief bios of the composer whose music is playing, along with the title of the piece.

For some reason, a particular piece, which is playing about 5 minutes after I get the email for the musician/teacher, catches my attention. I have to get up to go see what's playing... and it's that very piece by Ravel.

Funny little coincidence during the week. Had a long dream that I had lost my bank debit card. Now I hate losing things and in my dream I ransacked the house, dismantled kitchen units, ripped up floorboards, drove around a hospital car park (?), took apart my car and still couldn't find it. So real that I had to check that my card was in my wallet when I woke up and it was. Left the house as usual in the a.m. and right in front of the gate on the pavement was a debit card, same bank and same branch as mine, (even though 80 miles away). A bit weird.

Funny little coincidence during the week. Had a long dream that I had lost my bank debit card. Now I hate losing things and in my dream I ransacked the house, dismantled kitchen units, ripped up floorboards, drove around a hospital car park (?), took apart my car and still couldn't find it. So real that I had to check that my card was in my wallet when I woke up and it was. Left the house as usual in the a.m. and right in front of the gate on the pavement was a debit card, same bank and same branch as mine, (even though 80 miles away). A bit weird.
Maybe you tuned in to the card owner's panicky dream?

I've never seen a bank card on the ground (and I walk a lot) so that does seem very strange!

Maybe you tuned in to the card owner's panicky dream?
This seems to fit into not only synchronicity and a strange coincidence but also "premonitions/prescience"... which makes me wonder if all premonitions are just synchronicities seen beforehand? And... how quickly after one event does the second, synchronous event have to occur to seem weird? Minutes? A day?

I work in central London and often read on my way to work, more than once I have been reading about somewhere and realised I'm just going past it. For example, reading a book about Elizabeth I coronation at the same time as being on a bus following her route through the City. That's not too extraordinary, but then reading a book about an Edwardian scandal which involved a court case and reading about that just as I was travelling past the court the case was heard in. The oddest was reading a book which mentions someone getting on a train at a station while sitting at the exact same station. Maybe it's just the books I read but it's quite an odd feeling.

I had a trolley of stuff scanned through the Tesco check-out before realising I had lost my debit card. It all got put back in the trolley and wheeled aside as I did the walk of shame to the last place I remembered using the card - Tesco Petrol the evening before. Explained to busy cashier that I'd possibly left my card behind when last using non contactless. As she began a search under the counter I asked "does this happen often ?" Gave me a look as she pulled out a cardboard box full of bank cards and invited me to pick one. So I picked mine and walked back to Tesco to find my trolley.

I had a trolley of stuff scanned through the Tesco check-out before realising I had lost my debit card. It all got put back in the trolley and wheeled aside as I did the walk of shame to the last place I remembered using the card - Tesco Petrol the evening before. Explained to busy cashier that I'd possibly left my card behind when last using non contactless. As she began a search under the counter I asked "does this happen often ?" Gave me a look as she pulled out a cardboard box full of bank cards and invited me to pick one. So I picked mine and walked back to Tesco to find my trolley.
Thanks for this info. Don't feel so alone in this, now. A while back, some friends and my husband and I were going through a spate of leaving our credit cards behind at a pizza place... and feeling pretty stupid about that. (We each got them back thanks to the diligent, kind waitstaff.) But the same thing: My husband went in to get his card after calling and they said it happens all the time, and showed him a stack of them when he retrieved it.

You can imagine the amount of grief Banks got before they changed the software on the ATMs so that you got the cash AFTER you'd retrieved your card.
It can still fail with some people. I was at the cashpoint a few weeks ago and the woman next to me at the other machine walked away. Next thing an alarm/warning sound is going off. She'd just wandered off without taking her cash. I saw it there just waiting for me to grab it.

You can imagine the amount of grief Banks got before they changed the software on the ATMs so that you got the cash AFTER you'd retrieved your card.
You brought to mind a friend of mine (this happened years ago when we were young and single), who never wanted to go home. The pubs in my town closed at 2:00 a.m., and she would run to the ATM on her way home (another town) to get out more money and stop in the pubs in her town which were open till 3:00 a.m.
She was forever forgetting her card there (in her condition), but the best one was when she forgot her pin number, and after 3 tries the ATM took her card and wouldn't give it back -
Well, she had to get to the bank in the morning when they opened to get it. :)

Thanks for this info. Don't feel so alone in this, now. A while back, some friends and my husband and I were going through a spate of leaving our credit cards behind at a pizza place... and feeling pretty stupid about that. (We each got them back thanks to the diligent, kind waitstaff.) But the same thing: My husband went in to get his card after calling and they said it happens all the time, and showed him a stack of them when he retrieved it.
It happens A LOT in the Supermarket where I work. Particularly on the self serve machines, where people leave their card in the machine after paying, or when they put their card into the trolley with their goods after paying underneath their bags and forget to pick it up again. This is a very honest area, so we are always having them handed in.

Note to anyone who does this - by law we can only keep the card for 24 hours. After that we have to destroy it. So we will put it in the safe and wait for you to come back, if you don't - it's cut up and binned and then it's between you and your bank. Mind you, we are still waiting for someone to come back and reclaim a brand new mobile phone which someone left in a basket over a year ago...

Hi folks,Think this comes under Strange Coincidences. Had a dream a couple of nights ago,bothered me .Basically, myself and 2 of my 3 siblings were trying to bury,leave at Peace ?...something that was somehow "part of us" .We were in... an old church area with monuments,gravestones etc. ( Think this was connected to my dad's burial place .NOT the real one, he and my mum are buried together.(This is a church area that has been associated with my dad in my dreams in the past) My guess; it may be some reminder of my very early years when we sometimes went to a different ,older church to mass. It was un -nerving as sometimes previous nightmares/dreams have seemed to precede unfortunate things in the family. Anyway, following day we went to Shrewsbury Cathedral ......FIRST NAME i READ ON STONES INSIDE WAS THE SAME AS MY DAD'S AND THE"MISSING" SIBLING. ....SORRY...capitals were accidental Lol . Only difference was end of surname was the more usual spelling , ours is 1 letter different .It reminde me , when visiting Lichfieldm Cathedral had the same as my mum's name was one of the first you see there. I was rather relieved, as I thought ...Yes, just a co-incidence, no need to worry about him any more than usual ! Fingers crossed .Told my sister, it would have bothered her too. Can both be a bit superstitious now and then .

Small leaves lie in the remains of tiny puddles on the metro platform.
Three hypotheses:
1) The small puddles are caused by water that is caught under the leaf.
2) The puddles are caused by small valleys in the asphalt. Both water and leaves are caught there.
3) The puddles formed first, and randomly blowing leaves are caught there.
4) ...
leaf1.jpgleaf2.jpgleaf3.jpg

This morning in church, our priest started with:
"Today is the 21st Sunday of the year and it is also the 21st of August. Which does not happen very often." :)

Also this morning in bed I was reading this good book:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...e?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=Nl6LYCbsgW&rank=1

And before going to church I was reading this:
Such an assimilation was almost certainly the fate of the exiled members of the elite of the northern kingdom of Israel, the Ten Lost Tribes. Over time, however, they became the objects of considerable prophetic and apocalyptic speculation, especially after the fall of Jerusalem and the commencement of the Babylonian Captivity in 586 BC. Several of the Old Testament prophetic books spoke of God gathering the scattered remnants of both the kingdoms of Israel and Judah together as one harmonious nation.8

And in church the first Bible reading was: (!!!)
I will set a sign among them; ...
They shall bring all your brothers and sisters from all the nations
as an offering to the LORD,

on horses and in chariots, in carts, upon mules and dromedaries,
to Jerusalem, my holy mountain, says the LORD,
just as the Israelites bring their offering

I had a small WTF moment in church :)

Back