• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Today at work for some reason I started singing 'In The Navy'. A couple of colleagues jokingly took it up and a third began looking a bit, y'know, emotional.

Turns out two of his best friends joined the Navy today and he's really missing them.

Dunno why I was singing it but it set him off!
For some reason I was thinking about this coincidence today. Four years ago!

Over dinner last night we were watching the Simpsons' episode where Homer gets 'roasted' - basically a clips show, but it ends with a re-write of "We didn't start the Fire" tailored to the show. Turned the telly off, put my music on, and the second song to play was the Billy Joel original.

Over dinner last night we were watching the Simpsons' episode where Homer gets 'roasted' - basically a clips show, but it ends with a re-write of "We didn't start the Fire" tailored to the show. Turned the telly off, put my music on, and the second song to play was the Billy Joel original.
Sometimes I swear the matrix is just messing with us.

Blackpool FC. sacked a stadium announced a few years ago after he played said song at home to Bradford City. For those not in the know several Bradford City fans died in a fire in one the stands back in the 1980s. A tragic episode and an idiotic announcer.
Can't any songs that mention fire be played there? Seems a bit harsh to sack him unless he was actively taking the mick.

My money is on it being deliberate. It's not unknown for stadium announcers to play songs having a dig at away clubs and fans.
Ah right, I see.

There was a Guardian article years ago about Italian fans getting together to discuss chants and taunts for the next game.
Seems the Italian footy banter was taken very seriously indeed and kept up-to-date. Supporters devised insulting topical nicknames for opposing teams' fans.

In the article, the opposing team under discussion were from the area of the catastrophic 1980 Irpinia earthquake.
The nickname created for them was a specially made-up term something like Terremotinos, to suggest 'earthquake survivor'.
There might even have been a suggestion of Irpiniatinos, dunno, it was a long time ago.

Strangely coincidentally the BBC news website currently has an article on 'Tragedy Chanting' on it.

What is 'tragedy chanting'?
It's when fans sing deeply offensive songs that reference stadium disasters or fatal accidents involving players or supporters.
Despite being widely condemned by everyone involved in the game, it has been part of football culture for decades.
And it continues to happen in 2023.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-64796080

Strangely coincidentally the BBC news website currently has an article on 'Tragedy Chanting' on it.

What is 'tragedy chanting'?
It's when fans sing deeply offensive songs that reference stadium disasters or fatal accidents involving players or supporters.
Despite being widely condemned by everyone involved in the game, it has been part of football culture for decades.
And it continues to happen in 2023.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-64796080
When looking for the Guardian article I mentioned, this 2013 one popped up -
Italian football fans stand up for their right to be abused by rivals

Milan fans were banned from their stadium for a game after insulting their counterparts from Napoli, who have long been victims of chants about crime, poverty and cholera outbreaks in their city.

Suprisingly, thick-skinned Neapolitans mounted a defence of the Milanisti this weekend at their San Paolo stadium. A banner was unfurled in the Curva B section – one of the ends of the ground behind the goalposts that traditionally houses diehard fans or 'ultras' – that said: "[We are] Naples cholera-sufferers. Now close our curva!". Fans also reeled off a string of anti-Napoli chants.

This is extreme banter. :chuckle:

I just went downstairs and heard a 'bump' halfway down. Thinking it must have just been from next door, I walked into the living room (where MrsF is on the phone to her mother - they're still having trouble with an idiot neighbour over the fence position and were talking about that).
MrsF informed me that something had fallen down under the stairs. I opened the door to find my spirit level on the floor.

MrsF told her mother what had caused the noise and she said that they too had heard a banging under their stairs this morning, although they couldn't ascertain what it was.

Hardcore Italian fans (known as Ultras) are a breed apart. Many clubs actually have seats on the board for Ultra members and there are all sorts of political links to right wing groups and local politicians, etc.
It all goes back to the gladiators.

I just went downstairs and heard a 'bump' halfway down. Thinking it must have just been from next door, I walked into the living room (where MrsF is on the phone to her mother - they're still having trouble with an idiot neighbour over the fence position and were talking about that).
MrsF informed me that something had fallen down under the stairs. I opened the door to find my spirit level on the floor.

MrsF told her mother what had caused the noise and she said that they too had heard a banging under their stairs this morning, although they couldn't ascertain what it was.
Sounds like you're both experiencing spirits that are playing games with you both ~ i.e. not-playing-on-the-level!:litg:

Tcha.....prolly just the ghost of Derek Acorah messing with you.

1678533062423.png

Hardcore Italian fans (known as Ultras) are a breed apart. Many clubs actually have seats on the board for Ultra members and there are all sorts of political links to right wing groups and local politicians, etc.

I think it’s Lazio where the Curva controlled the shirt rights, although Lazio, particularly during the 70s has a history in itself. The Curva certainly control their territory, I remember them inviting one of the Milan players into the Curva a few years ago and it was considered a great honour.

I was also sat with Napoli fans during a friendly at West Ham. It was mad but not threatening at all, they were very courteous to us

I think it’s Lazio where the Curva controlled the shirt rights, although Lazio, particularly during the 70s has a history in itself. The Curva certainly control their territory, I remember them inviting one of the Milan players into the Curva a few years ago and it was considered a great honour.

I was also sat with Napoli fans during a friendly at West Ham. It was mad but not threatening at all, they were very courteous to us
You a fellow Hammer Sogna?

In a similar vein - earlier today I was out with the dog and singing 'Mellow Yellow' to myself, for absolutely no reason. I guess they must have been playing it on Radio Co Op in the last few days and it's just sunk into my psyche.

Went over to the Mumsnet forum to browse away a few minutes and found myself landing on a thread by someone calling themselves 'JustWildAbout Saffron'....

A tiny coincidence, but I only went on there because it was a thread about noisy neighbours, and I'm slightly worried that I might be the noisy neighbour around here...

I was, in my younger days, standing in the chicken run. Do you go to Stratford?
My older brother had a season ticket in he chicken run. Then his work changed and couldn’t go on Saturdays, so I used to blag his ticket.

That was years ago though. I’m happy to say that his allegiance has changed ever so slightly over the years, and that these days he has a season ticket with me at Brisbane road, along with his son and his grandson

A little coincidence - A few years ago I started following a person on Instagram, they did some modelling and I liked their style. After a few months she decided to move across country to live in my hometown. Ah! That's funny, I thought.
Skip forward a couple of years and I realised she had deactivated her Instagram account, oh well.
Then last week, I was searching for a pair of boots on selling site, Vinted. The first pair that were perfect for me pop up, I click into buy them, who's the seller? The former model!

Back