Strange Crimes

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
An investigative journalist who suffers from epilepsy was sent a video of violently flashing lights and patterns on Twitter, causing him to have a seizure.

Eichenwald said that he would have died if his wife had not walked into his study and found him. He suffered a seizure within seconds of seeing the video.
This sounds fishy to me. People with epilepsy are usually good at taking their meds and avoiding seizures. As soon as Eichenwald saw a single flashing light in the video he'd have known to stop it or just turn away or cover his eyes.

Also, a single seizure wouldn't have nearly killed him. There's no special type of strobe that will set off a particularly dangerous seizure.
Besides which, a person who has a seizure doesn't remember what happened immediately before it. He wouldn't have known what set it off.

There certainly might have been a flashing-lights video sent but unless someone saw it arrive and witnessed Eichenwald open it and look at it and immediately have the seizure, it's all, well, uncertain.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
This sounds fishy to me. People with epilepsy are usually good at taking their meds and avoiding seizures. As soon as Eichenwald saw a single flashing light in the video he'd have known to stop it or just turn away or cover his eyes.

Also, a single seizure wouldn't have nearly killed him. There's no special type of strobe that will set off a particularly dangerous seizure.
Besides which, a person who has a seizure doesn't remember what happened immediately before it. He wouldn't have known what set it off.

There certainly might have been a flashing-lights video sent but unless someone saw it arrive and witnessed Eichenwald open it and look at it and immediately have the seizure, it's all, well, uncertain.
The case has been going on for a while and seems to be genuine.

I guess we'll have to wait and see but if it was a false charge then it would likely to have been dismissed by now. Maybe Eichenwald wasn't fast enough to avoid it. Not everyone experiences such fits in the same manner.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The case has been going on for a while and seems to be genuine.

I guess we'll have to wait and see but if it was a false charge then it would likely to have been dismissed by now. Maybe Eichenwald wasn't fast enough to avoid it. Not everyone experiences such fits in the same manner.
Yup, I'm not denying that sending a person with epilepsy a potentially triggering video is a nasty thing to do.
But there are lots of sites and pages on the 'net with similar effects. If Eichenwald's epilepsy is severe enough to be set off by a few seconds of a video he's in a poor way.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Yup, I'm not denying that sending a person with epilepsy a potentially triggering video is a nasty thing to do.
But there are lots of sites and pages on the 'net with similar effects. If Eichenwald's epilepsy is severe enough to be set off by a few seconds of a video he's in a poor way.
I follow him on Twitter and I remember when this happened, it did seem to trigger him in the genuine sense of the word.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I follow him on Twitter and I remember when this happened, it did seem to trigger him in the genuine sense of the word.
Yup, I meant 'trigger' in the sense of setting off an attack, which is a correct use of the term.
I'm not convinced. I used to work with children and adults with severe epilepsy (and learning difficulties) and know a lot about it. Fishy.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Yup, I meant 'trigger' in the sense of setting off an attack, which is a correct use of the term.
I'm not convinced. I used to work with children and adults with severe epilepsy (and learning difficulties) and know a lot about it. Fishy.
There is evidence of the attack happening and it being linked to the accused but it is of course possible that Eichenwald is exaggerating the effect the attack had on him.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
There is evidence of the attack happening and it being linked to the accused but it is of course possible that Eichenwald is exaggerating the effect the attack had on him.
Yup, that's what I'm getting at. If he could be nearly killed by a video of flashing lights on a PC screen he'd be unable to go out to work or watch TV or do anything much. He'd be either constantly having seizures or so heavily medicated he couldn't think straight.

Most people with epilepsy manage it well, as I mentioned. There is excellent medication and patients are generally well-motivated and organised.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to come up with a set of circumstances that would explain this one. I haven't come up with anything better than a supposition he was "trippin' balls" (or some such ...).
Man left drugs, gun in designer bags at convenience store

Louisiana authorities are perplexed over why a man left apparent designer bags holding drugs, a gun, cash and a digital scale in a convenience store.

The man went into the store early Thursday and put the Louis Vuitton and Gucci bags on a chair, according to a news release Friday.

“The employee said he offered her $100 to ‘keep his bag,’” Lt. Brennan Matherne, spokesman for Lafourche Parish Sheriff Craig Webre, said in an interview. “I don’t know if his intention was for her to hold onto the bag until he came back or what.”

The worker declined, and the man walked out without the bags, the news release said. A customer later pointed out that one of them held a handgun, which turned out to be stolen from neighboring Terrebonne Parish. It also held cash and a digital scale, while the other bag held the drug Suboxone and suspected methamphetamine, according to the statement.

Surveillance cameras got photos of the man and deputies hope to identify him.

“We haven’t positively identified him ... but have gotten a couple tips already,” Matherne said after the release and photos were posted on the sheriff’s web and Facebook pages. “These images are pretty good, so we feel confident we’ll be able to get him identified.”
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/455066b1ffdc1e26c3bb66fc85c2ba1a

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A brave try!

Ugandan officers have detained a smuggler passing off a baby grow full of banned cosmetics as a child.

The "baby" was intercepted aboard a bus at the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda's customs commissioner tweeted.

"Some smugglers never cease to amuse!" Dicksons Kateshumbwa said in his post.

Tonnes of banned skin-lightening products get into Uganda every year, mostly through porous points along the border with DR Congo.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51037213

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
German man dies four years after being poisoned by colleague

A man in Germany has died four years after being poisoned by a colleague and falling into a coma.

A 57-year-old man, identified only as Klaus O for privacy reasons, was sentenced to life in prison last March after the court found him guilty of attempted murder.

Klaus O, who is appealing against the verdict, peppered co-workers’ food with mercury and other substances over several years, leaving one in a coma and two others with serious kidney damage.

He was arrested in May 2018 after surveillance footage showed him putting powder in a colleague’s sandwich at their workplace in the town of Schloß Holte-Stukenbrock.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Sometimes, I think that people who murder should die the same way their victims did.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how effective the wigs are as camouflage. One of the CCTV images provides a pretty good facial portrait.
FBI is trying to catch a “bad wig bandit” in North Carolina

The FBI is asking the public’s help in catching a so-called “bad wig bandit” who’s been robbing banks in North Carolina.

The FBI said in a statement on Thursday that the suspect wore a different wig during each heist in the Charlotte area.

One wig was blonde. Another was black. The third was red. ...
FULL STORY (With Photos Of Bandit): https://apnews.com/6c1a1d84b441099706434df13f2b4407

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The Woman With The Golden Gun, I think this might fit here.

A 21-year-old woman who fought her way up through the ranks to become a leader in a Mexican drug cartel has been killed in a gunfight with police and the army.

María Guadalupe López Esquivel, known as La Catrina, died from a bullet wound to the neck on Friday, after police received a tip-off and raided a house in the city of Aguililla. Six gunmen were captured.

Police said that she was a local boss with the Jalisco New Generation cartel. Video clips from body cameras worn by the soldiers during the confrontation show a distinctive tattoo on the thigh of López Esquivel: the skeletal figure of La Catrina, a female version of the Grim Reaper.

The video captures her dying moments: struggling for breath, she stares beseechingly up at a soldier, who tries to reassure her. “Relax, dear, the helicopter is coming for you,” a male voice says. “You are going to be fine. Try to hold on.” She dies minutes later while being taken by helicopter to hospital

With her striking good looks she rose quickly through the ranks to become one of the cartel’s most senior operatives. Her responsibilities included paying informers in rival organisations and arranging extortion and murders. On her social media pages she flaunted her apparently lavish lifestyle. In one post she can be seen posing with a gold-plated automatic weapon.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...lled-in-firefight-with-mexican-army-sz9g6txtb

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I wonder if this scam has ever been used in RoI/UK.

Corpses are being rented out from South African mortuaries to gangs who are claiming multiple payouts on life and funeral policies in a ruthless scam that costs insurers millions each year.

One syndicate is alleged to have paid for about a dozen people to be murdered after taking out funeral plans in their names, the Insurance Crime Bureau said. Bodies are moved from one mortuary to another and are often disfigured to disguise their identity.

“A body can be used on numerous occasions — four times is not unusual,” Garth de Klerk, head of the bureau, said. “The modus operandi is becoming increasingly brazen and the gangs are highly organised.”

Scamming syndicates often recruit a mortuary official to identify a corpse that will not be missed, a doctor to sign a death certificate and even a police officer to collaborate, the bureau says.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six...angs-rent-corpses-to-trick-insurers-39q6q3qws

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Fortunately the birds were still alive but would hardly have survived the flight.

A Belgian man has been arrested at Lima Airport in Peru with 20 live birds stuffed into his suitcase.

Hugo Conings, 54, was caught trying to smuggle the birds out of the country in small cardboard boxes, officers said. They added that he was planning to fly to Madrid, Spain, to sell the birds - which were all protected species. While all of the birds survived, some showed signs of dehydration and stress and had lost part of their plumage after spending hours in the boxes.

Mr Conings was arrested on Monday and could face up to five years in prison for illegal wildlife trafficking.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-51133664

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
How TOTALLY unpredictable. /sarcasm
Can't say I care, but she was only 21. What a waste of a life.
Being leader of a leader of a drug cartel doesn't seem to offer long career prospects. No need to worry about a pension. You get a nice golden gun though.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Being leader of a leader of a drug cartel doesn't seem to offer long career prospects. No need to worry about a pension. You get a nice golden gun though.
I know, are people out of their MINDS? Isn't it obvious that they're going to die violently?

Maybe some feel they have no other prospects but this particular woman had been doing well in education. She gave that up to become a criminal and murder people and get shot.