Strange Crimes

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The film "I love you to Death" was based on this true story.

In 1983, Frances Toto, a mother of four living in Allentown, Pa., and married to Tony Toto, a local pizza shop owner, decided to have her husband bumped off. It was an impulsive decision, Frances said later, but not a capricious one. Tony was cheating on her pretty much around the clock, and girls were starting to call the house. “A body can only take so much,” Frances explained.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-04-11-ca-1219-story.html

After failing in attempts to blow Tony up in his car and ambush him with a baseball bat (the bomb didn’t go off and he chased the bat-wielding assailant away), she hired two amateur hit men, who for $500 put a bullet in Tony’s chest after Frances first subdued him by spiking his chicken soup with sleeping pills.
But Tony didn’t die. He lay in bed unattended for four days with two bullets in him (another of his wife’s friends tried to help by shooting him in the head), and he still didn’t die.
Once again, the Wicked Witch failed to kill Toto!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman

Man Threatened To "Cut The Gay" Out Of Brother

While threatening his brother with a knife, a Florida Man said that he was “going to cut the ‘gay’ out of” his sibling, according to police who arrested the suspect on multiple criminal charges.

davidmartinez22.jpg

David Martinez

According to a Miami-Dade Police Department report, officers responded Thursday morning to a 911 call about a “violent dispute” at a Miami residence between David Martinez, 40, and his brother.

Martinez’s kin told cops that his sibling had “been acting strangely since last night” and “threatened him while sharpening a large kitchen knife, telling him he was going to cut the ‘gay’ out of him.”

Martinez “told the victim he was going to kill him,” cops say. When the man sought to depart the residence, Martinez “followed him out, grabbed him, and told him to get back in the house.” In fear, the victim returned to the residence, but was “eventually able to exit the location and had a friend contact the police.”

Martinez was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, kidnapping, and false imprisonment, all of which are felonies. He was also charged with two misdemeanor resisting counts.

https://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/cut-the-gay-out-arrest-652930

maximus otter

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Do we have any Floridian members here I wonder? No one has ever complained or cried foul about the 'Florida man/woman' stories, so I guess not. Either that, or they are in total agreement with the stereotype.

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
It's not like you can't take a life insurance policy out on your ex and then keep your fingers crossed.
On a pedantic point, you can only insure someone else's life if you have an insurable interest in their continued survival - just like you can't insure someone else's house and hope it burns down.

An insurable interest means you stand to lose financially if the event occurs.

That will sometimes be the case with an ex, for example if the financial separation is incomplete, or there are dependant kids.

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
A terrible case.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A man shot and killed his three daughters, their chaperone and himself during a supervised visit with the girls Monday at a church in Sacramento, California, authorities said.

Deputies responding to reports of gunfire around 5 p.m. found five people dead, including the shooter, at the church in the Arden-Arcade neighborhood, said Sgt. Rod Grassmann with the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office.

The victims included three girls ages 9, 10 and 13, Grassmann said.
The shooter was estranged from his daughters’ mother, who had a restraining order against him, Sheriff Scott Jones said.

Investigators believe the shooting happened during a supervised visit with the children and that the fourth victim was their chaperone, Jones said.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/california-church-shooting_n_621d93f5e4b0afc668c50a1a

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
These guys should be easy to find: they'll glow in the dark.

Thieves have been warned to take care after the theft of a radioactive device from a van in Drogheda, County Louth.

It was stolen from a parked van in the Highlands area of the town sometime between 18:00 GMT on Monday night and 06:30 GMT on Tuesday morning. It was stored in a bright yellow case with the trefoil symbol for radiation warning on it.

Noel Byrne, from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), told RTÉ Radio that it was “highly probable” that the thieves were not aware of what they stole “or the potential risk they have created for themselves".

The device - a Troxler Nuclear Moisture Density Gauge - contains a radioactive source. It is used by engineers to measure the density and moisture content in construction materials, including tarmacadam on roads.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd16r0pn1qvo

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Noel Byrne, from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), told RTÉ Radio that it was “highly probable” that the thieves were not aware of what they stole “or the potential risk they have created for themselves".
They stole a bright yellow box with a radiation trefoil from a van and weren't aware that it contained something that was radioactive? :thought:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
They stole a bright yellow box with a radiation trefoil from a van and weren't aware that it contained something that was radioactive? :thought:

Everyone knows that sign basically means "big money". Or imminent death, one of those things.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Everyone knows that sign basically means "big money". Or imminent death, one of those things.
I was wondering if it might mean "I could build a dirty bomb out of this" to some people? Whether it actually could or not.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I was wondering if it might mean "I could build a dirty bomb out of this" to some people? Whether it actually could or not.

If that's what they're thinking, I still don't fancy their chances of survival. Just hope they don't take anyone else with them.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
This Wisconsin woman has been arrested and charged with murdering and dismembering a male acquaintance. I wonder what she did to warrant the third criminal charge - for sexual assault ... :thought:
Wisconsin woman charged with killing man, mutilating corpse

A 24-year-old Wisconsin woman has been charged with killing and dismembering a man, after police discovered body parts scattered around a home in Green Bay.

Taylor Schabusiness made her first appearance in Brown County Court on Tuesday on charges of first-degree intentional homicide, mutilating a corpse and third-degree sexual assault.

The victim was a 25-year-old Green Bay man whom authorities have not publicly named.

Officers were called to a home in Green Bay on Thursday and discovered numerous body parts at various locations. ...
SOURCE: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/wisconsin-woman-charged-killing-man-mutilating-corpse-83187693

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
If that's what they're thinking, I still don't fancy their chances of survival. Just hope they don't take anyone else with them.

Well, l’m sure that they’ll read the 201-page manual for the device, and realise that they might receive an unhealthy dose of “magic moonbeams” if they hold the probe in their bare hands “for an hour” (Appendix D).

Based on that, l think that humanity - and Ireland - are safe.

maximus otter

Min Bannister

Possessed dog

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle

brownmane

off kilter
Well, they always say “ You get what you pay for”. I can’t think that a fraud task force would be out looking for someone who got $35.00 and a sandwich. Other than possibly finding really gullible people who think he is a well known singer, the post does say that he did give a performance at one of the churches, so not much of a fraud.

And if the person paying him for the performance, supposedly believing he was Ed Sheehan “falling on hard times”, gave him $35.00 for the performance, who was trying to take advantage of whom? Not exactly an amount that would give anyone a hand up.:rollingw:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
He nearly passed the test though.

A man stunned police officers in Nottinghamshire when he told them he had driven without a licence for 52 years.

The Ashfield neighbourhood policing team stopped a vehicle in Stanton Hill on Wednesday.
Writing on Facebook, the team confirmed the vehicle had been seized.
Addressing the driver's admission, they added: "It's apparently OK though as the driver only narrowly failed his driving test in 1970."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-60673923

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

A man stunned police officers in Nottinghamshire when he told them he had driven without a licence for 52 years.

The Ashfield neighbourhood policing team stopped a vehicle in Stanton Hill on Wednesday.
Addressing the driver's admission, they added: "It's apparently OK though as the driver only narrowly failed his driving test in 1970."

I used to give a colleague a lift on early shifts after she suddenly stopped driving herself to work. Thought nothing of it as I was going that way and it was company.

Turned out, she'd been driving all her adult life with no licence and had recently been caught in her son's car. He was not impressed when it was seized. :chuckle:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.

At least this character did have a licence :)

Driver in police chase from Bexley to Sheppey only had Legoland licence​

KENT TRAVEL NEWS
SIGN ME UP FOR NEWS ALERTS

By Ed McConnell
[email protected]

Published: 09:43, 11 March 2022
| Updated: 10:19, 11 March 2022

A driver in a 35-mile helicopter police chase only had a Legoland licence.
Met and Kent officers pursued the suspect from Bexley to the Isle of Sheppey, with a helicopter called in.
And when they caught the 21-year-old – after he ran out of fuel – he only had a toy licence issued when he was a toddler in 2003.
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/sheern...LpAO8smOAaLwxBCOKIaicq5OM_dF3WljVMr94zfKTsRQY

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
I used to give a colleague a lift on early shifts after she suddenly stopped driving herself to work. Thought nothing of it as I was going that way and it was company.

Turned out, she'd been driving all her adult life with no licence and had recently been caught in her son's car. He was not impressed when it was seized. :chuckle:
This is conjecture. My wife had a 'thing' about driving instructors. I don't know if one scared or molested her. We had a sort of mutual agreement not to probe too far in each other's pasts as we had both had difficult times previous.

What Isn't conjecture is I didn't realise until after she died was that she never had a full UK driving licence. Despite driving all the time I knew her. She was 25 when we met so it never occurred to me to ask.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Rather bizarre that the police left him leave in the first place,

A missing person's case was solved quickly Tuesday when police entered the man's house in upscale Hawaii Loa Ridge and found a bathtub filled with concrete and topped with coffee grounds. The 73-year-old owner of the home was "encased" in it, Lt. Deena Thoemmes told ABC 7 News, "in a state of decomposition once we chipped away at the concrete mixture."

Police questioned a 23-year-old man who claimed to live there. He and a 34-year-old man with him were allowed to leave after determining there were no signs of foul play outside the home. Police later learned the 23-year-old man had been in an intimate relationship with the victim, believed to be the 73-year-old owner of the home. … Baron, 23, was taken into custody by U.S. Marshals and Los Angeles police detectives on a Greyhound bus in Anaheim that was headed for Mexico. He was found "hiding in a crawl space under an enclosed bench at the rear of the bus. Baron had pulled back a metal plate near the bus's rear bathroom and crawled under the enclosed bench seat," the statement said.
Well, at least they learned that smells go though concrete.

https://boingboing.net/2022/03/11/m...-a-bathtub-and-covered-in-coffee-grounds.html

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
How did the police decide that this death was not suspicious?

hunck

Antediluvian
My reading of it is the police didn’t look inside the house til the day following this:

Police questioned a 23-year-old man who claimed to live there. He and a 34-year-old man with him were allowed to leave after determining there were no signs of foul play outside the home.

Maybe they needed a warrant to enter the house which they didn’t get til the day after. Can't see any other reason why they wouldn't have entered the house on the first day when investigating a missing person.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
A missing person's case was solved quickly Tuesday when police entered the man's house in upscale Hawaii Loa Ridge and found a bathtub filled with concrete and topped with coffee grounds. ...

Update ...

This lengthy Associated Press article describes Baron's (the 23-year-old's) description of the events in which he apparently confessed to the murder.
Documents detail what led to body in concrete in Hawaii tub

A 23-year-old man killed his 73-year-old lover, tried to make it look like a suicide, poured cement over his body in a bathtub and planned to fraudulently take ownership of his car and home in one of Hawaii’s most exclusive, gated communities, police said in court documents filed Thursday.

Juan Tejedor Baron is charged with murder, theft and identity theft in the death of Gary Ruby, whose decomposing body was excavated by authorities earlier this week from a standalone soaking tub in Ruby’s Hawaii Loa Ridge home.

U.S. Marshals and Los Angeles police arrested Baron after finding him in a crawl space at the back of a Mexico-bound bus in Anaheim, California. He was being held without bail pending extradition to Honolulu ...

According to a Honolulu police affidavit, Baron told a Los Angeles police detective he became angry with Ruby after sex. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/honolulu...entity-theft-39d40469308a96092be6f257ee108a3c

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Beware of people you meet using dating apps. They might be sleeper cell agents bent on revenge for an Iranian leader's assassination. On the other hand, it happened in the Vegas area, so it stays there (so they say ... ).
Woman blindfolded, stabbed date in revenge for Iranian leader’s death, police say

A woman is accused of stabbing a man on Saturday at Sunset Station as revenge for the killing of an Iranian military leader.

Nika Nikoubin, 21, is being held on $60,000 bail after she was charged with attempted murder, two counts of battery and burglary of a business, according to jail records.

A man called police around 10:30 p.m. Saturday from the 14th floor of Sunset Station to report that he had been stabbed in the neck by a woman he met on a dating app ...

The woman told police she wanted revenge for the death of Qasem Soleimani, who was assassinated during a U.S. Air Force drone strike on Jan. 3, 2020. The arrest report indicated that the woman began to have sex with the man, and after she put a blindfold on him, she reached into her purse and pulled out the knife.

“She advised that there are injustices, in particular the killing of Qasem Soleimani in Iran,” homeland security detectives added to the Henderson arrest report. “Nikoubin stated she wanted revenge.” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime...for-iranian-leaders-death-police-say-2543696/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Life imitating and appropriating art, the series Lupin is well worth a watch.

Seven people have been charged after an armed robbery was staged last month on the French film set of hit Netflix series 'Lupin'.

Around twenty hooded thieves attacked the film crew by launching fireworks at them, a Netflix spokesperson said. They stole more than €300,000 (£250,000; $330,000) worth of equipment during the heist, in broad daylight. None of the cast or crew who were on set - reported to include the show's star Omar Sy - were injured.

The crew were attacked while they were filming in the Nanterre district, west of central Paris, forcing production to briefly pause.

The seven accused, aged between 13 and 21, now face charges of armed robbery as part of an organised gang and receiving stolen goods, according to Agence France-Presse. Three of them are being held in custody while four are under judicial supervision. Police say they are still looking for more of the assailants, and have recovered some of the stolen equipment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60804051