• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Crimes

@maximus otter @Mikefule @Trevp666

Of course I was reasonably confident that harassment was illegal in the U.K. - that was my point.

My comment about women handling themselves related only to the "What if you saw..." question, and referenced only those instances I witnessed. I am well aware of the fact that there are many women who suffer at the hands of sick partners, ex-partners, and strangers on the street. I am ashamed to say that in the one instance I can recall of unambiguous physical partner abuse (not just harassment - a man punched a woman in the face) I was so shocked I froze for much longer than I should have. Fortunately several people closer to the incident contacted the police immediately.

I note the TfL sign says "intrusive" and "of a sexual nature". Not much better than "persistent ".

@maximus otter @Mikefule @Trevp666

Of course I was reasonably confident that harassment was illegal in the U.K. - that was my point.

My comment about women handling themselves related only to the "What if you saw..." question, and referenced only those instances I witnessed. I am well aware of the fact that there are many women who suffer at the hands of sick partners, ex-partners, and strangers on the street. I am ashamed to say that in the one instance I can recall of unambiguous physical partner abuse (not just harassment - a man punched a woman in the face) I was so shocked I froze for much longer than I should have. Fortunately several people closer to the incident contacted the police immediately.

I note the TfL sign says "intrusive" and "of a sexual nature". Not much better than "persistent ".
Not an unusual reaction, Chas. I think many people freeze when witnessing any violence. I have never been in that position, thank goodness, but you quickly have to assess what is happening and what is the risk to you. Then you have to figure out if you can do anything to assist, but not exacerbate the situation.

There have been studies in how people respond to emergency situations that show that people who have experienced a similar situation, or have mentally thought out a "what if" situation tend to respond to emergency situations quicker than people who've had no experience in the situation. These studies were relating to emergency personnel, medical professions etc, not violent acts per se.

I have had many years of basic first aid training and I have been in emergency situations where the other people acted, or not acted at all, in useless (I hate to use that word, but their responses would not have helped the person) responses.

It is also more difficult for people to respond in an emergency if there are many people around ie someone will act more so when no one else is about. This is called the bystander effect. So a person is luckier to have only one or two people at the scene than a crowd.

My friend's son is autistic. He stares. He's a grown man who is incapable of understanding why 'staring at someone' shouldn't be allowed. I'm sure he may appear disconcerting if you only saw him from a distance, watching you. And that it may be upsetting for women to be stared at in the way he stares. But there is nothing sexual in it (he has no sexual impulses at all), but he will stare if someone is doing something that interests him or is wearing something unusual - in the same way that a small child will stare. My poor friend (his mother) will now have to worry about him being accused of 'inappropriate staring', I suppose. Although any policeman that tries to have a word with him will very soon find out the cause and, presumably, won't be inclined to charge the poor lad.

a
Not an unusual reaction, Chas. I think many people freeze when witnessing any violence. I have never been in that position, thank goodness, but you quickly have to assess what is happening and what is the risk to you. Then you have to figure out if you can do anything to assist, but not exacerbate the situation.

There have been studies in how people respond to emergency situations that show that people who have experienced a similar situation, or have mentally thought out a "what if" situation tend to respond to emergency situations quicker than people who've had no experience in the situation. These studies were relating to emergency personnel, medical professions etc, not violent acts per se.

I have had many years of basic first aid training and I have been in emergency situations where the other people acted, or not acted at all, in useless (I hate to use that word, but their responses would not have helped the person) responses.

It is also more difficult for people to respond in an emergency if there are many people around ie someone will act more so when no one else is about. This is called the bystander effect. So a person is luckier to have only one or two people at the scene than a crowd.
But isn't it the case, certainly in USA that people will not get involved anyway for fear of being sued? Even when someone has fallen over in the street for eg? Watched an NCIS the other day where even a nurse was threatened with jail after helping a car crash victim- (a fictional show I know, but I bet it's happened in real life).

I think I did mention it elsewhere that mostly, instead of doing anything about making an intervention or helping out in any way, what a lot of people tend to do these days upon witnessing something happening, is whip out their mobile phone and start filming it.
Handy for use as evidence when a crime has been committed I guess, but I'm sure it's mostly just people 'rubbernecking'.

I think I did mention it elsewhere that mostly, instead of doing anything about making an intervention or helping out in any way, what a lot of people tend to do these days upon witnessing something happening, is whip out their mobile phone and start filming it.
Handy for use as evidence when a crime has been committed I guess, but I'm sure it's mostly just people 'rubbernecking'.

l live in dread of pitching a thrombo in the High Street; my last, blurring, sight being some mouth-breather filming my final moments for a “Like” on TwatFace, and not being able to muster the energy to stand up and hoof his tiny, shrivelled knackers into low Earth orbit.

maximus otter

l live in dread of pitching a thrombo in the High Street; my last, blurring, sight being some mouth-breather filming my final moments for a “Like” on TwatFace, and not being able to muster the energy to stand up and hoof his tiny, shrivelled knackers into low Earth orbit.

maximus otter
I am quite sure you would be able to muster the energy.

maximus otter
It'll be one of those deers that gets you anyway max. So you'll be in a nice field at least.

a

But isn't it the case, certainly in USA that people will not get involved anyway for fear of being sued? Even when someone has fallen over in the street for eg? Watched an NCIS the other day where even a nurse was threatened with jail after helping a car crash victim- (a fictional show I know, but I bet it's happened in real life).
Certainly some people do fear the lawsuits, but it isn't a big thing. The news in the USA often has stories of regular citizens and cops who risk personal safety to pull up someone who fell on the subway tracks or the like. There are also good Samaritan laws in many places that protect well-intentioned people who act reasonably to help in emergencies from lawsuits.

Certainly some people do fear the lawsuits, but it isn't a big thing. The news in the USA often has stories of regular citizens and cops who risk personal safety to pull up someone who fell on the subway tracks or the like. There are also good Samaritan laws in many places that protect well-intentioned people who act reasonably to help in emergencies from lawsuits.
That's good to hear. I thought you guys sued each other all the time.

My friend's son is autistic. He stares. Although any policeman that tries to have a word with him will very soon find out the cause and, presumably, won't be inclined to charge the poor lad.
Get him a "get out of jail free card" here

NB May not actually get him out of jail

a

No.

Or, if he would prefer something from, by and for other autistics, he could look at the ones here from Autism Rights Group Highland.

https://www.arghighland.co.uk/
He won't even carry a wallet. He has a fear of losing things.

His autism is, however, very obvious to anyone who attempts to address him or who enters conversation with him, so he would hopefully be let off.

Even more complicated in some countries where you can be prosecuted for failing to render assistance.

I somehow doubt that the proposed harassment law will have much effect. How would the CPS prove that someone stared at a passerby for longer than "necessary"? I'm guessing that now there will be a lot of complaints which won't be investigated because your poor old bobby can't even keep up with current criminal activity. Yet another bout of legislation which will have little impact.

Even more complicated in some countries where you can be prosecuted for failing to render assistance.

E.g. France:

“Whoever could prevent, by their immediate action, and with no risk for themselves or others, either a crime or a misdemeanour against the physical integrity of another person and who voluntarily does not intervene can be punished by up to 5 years imprisonment and 75 000 euros in fines.”

Art. 223-6 of the French Penal code.

https://www.survivefrance.com/t/a-french-law/11161

maximus otter

I somehow doubt that the proposed harassment law will have much effect. How would the CPS prove that someone stared at a passerby for longer than "necessary"? I'm guessing that now there will be a lot of complaints which won't be investigated because your poor old bobby can't even keep up with current criminal activity. Yet another bout of legislation which will have little impact.
I would guess that it will be less of a weapon in its own right but more as part of an arsenal. So if someone is being stalked (or suspects that they are) this will be one of the 'prosecutable offences' that might help to intervene.

When you can't find your balaclava...

Man Wearing Football-Head Mask Robs Convenience Store in Oklahoma​

Authorities in Oklahoma are on the hunt for a robber who held up a convenience store while wearing a bizarre football-head mask. The unusual caper reportedly occurred early Sunday morning in the community of Ponca City. One imagines that the clerk at the local Stop-N-Go did something of a double take when the ne'er-do-well first walked into the shop while wearing the weird headpiece. However, if they were wondering why the customer had donned the odd mask, their question was soon answered when he pulled out a small revolver and demanded all of their cash.
https://www.coasttocoastam.com/arti...head-mask-robs-convenience-store-in-oklahoma/

I would guess that it will be less of a weapon in its own right but more as part of an arsenal. So if someone is being stalked (or suspects that they are) this will be one of the 'prosecutable offences' that might help to intervene.
Let's hope it's only used in that way, otherwise the Police are going to get a lot of "they looked at me in an intimidating way" type complaints, which will be impossible to prove or otherwise.

Man Damaged Police Station with Chainsaw, Dangled Children Near Window

Police say a man tried to cut through a door at the station Sunday with a chainsaw before barricading himself at his house in Cohasset, Massachusetts.

Brien-Buckley-640x480.jpg

Brien Buckley, who is scheduled to appear in court Monday, allegedly drove over the police station’s lawn and hit a tree on the property.

He then exited the truck and went inside the lobby, revving a gas powered chainsaw which he is accused of using to damage the room and cut at the security door.

A civilian desk attendant at the station fled for safety and locked herself inside an office where she hit the panic button, prompting officers to respond.

In a social media post on Sunday, the department said the man eventually fled the station in his truck:

He was tracked by officers to his residence at 37 Cushing Road, Cohasset. A perimeter was established at his home, and additional units were dispatched to the area. The male began yelling at officers from inside the home and dangled 2-small children in front of a 2nd story window. When the male refused to come out of the home, a ‘tactical alert’ was called, which drew police officers in from surrounding towns, including Hingham, Hull, Scituate, and Norwell Police.

While officials tried to deescalate the situation, SWAT team members and hostage negotiators arrived to assist.

Several hours later, the man became erratic “…to the point where SWAT supervisors sought permission to enter the home due to the increasingly clear and present danger to the children. Permission was granted by Cohasset Commanders, and the suspect was taken into custody after resisting arrest.”

The children were brought safely out of the house and united with their mother and grandfather. Meanwhile, officers used a taser to subdue the suspect.

The suspect faces charges including assault by means of a dangerous weapon, two counts of child endangerment, resisting arrest, driving to endanger, unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, and three counts of damage to property.

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/202...tation-chainsaw-dangled-children-near-window/

maximus otter

Back