• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Crimes

I follow him on Twitter and I remember when this happened, it did seem to trigger him in the genuine sense of the word.

Yup, I meant 'trigger' in the sense of setting off an attack, which is a correct use of the term.
I'm not convinced. I used to work with children and adults with severe epilepsy (and learning difficulties) and know a lot about it. Fishy.

Yup, I meant 'trigger' in the sense of setting off an attack, which is a correct use of the term.
I'm not convinced. I used to work with children and adults with severe epilepsy (and learning difficulties) and know a lot about it. Fishy.

There is evidence of the attack happening and it being linked to the accused but it is of course possible that Eichenwald is exaggerating the effect the attack had on him.

There is evidence of the attack happening and it being linked to the accused but it is of course possible that Eichenwald is exaggerating the effect the attack had on him.

Yup, that's what I'm getting at. If he could be nearly killed by a video of flashing lights on a PC screen he'd be unable to go out to work or watch TV or do anything much. He'd be either constantly having seizures or so heavily medicated he couldn't think straight.

Most people with epilepsy manage it well, as I mentioned. There is excellent medication and patients are generally well-motivated and organised.

I'm still trying to come up with a set of circumstances that would explain this one. I haven't come up with anything better than a supposition he was "trippin' balls" (or some such ...).
Man left drugs, gun in designer bags at convenience store

Louisiana authorities are perplexed over why a man left apparent designer bags holding drugs, a gun, cash and a digital scale in a convenience store.

The man went into the store early Thursday and put the Louis Vuitton and Gucci bags on a chair, according to a news release Friday.

“The employee said he offered her $100 to ‘keep his bag,’” Lt. Brennan Matherne, spokesman for Lafourche Parish Sheriff Craig Webre, said in an interview. “I don’t know if his intention was for her to hold onto the bag until he came back or what.”

The worker declined, and the man walked out without the bags, the news release said. A customer later pointed out that one of them held a handgun, which turned out to be stolen from neighboring Terrebonne Parish. It also held cash and a digital scale, while the other bag held the drug Suboxone and suspected methamphetamine, according to the statement.

Surveillance cameras got photos of the man and deputies hope to identify him.

“We haven’t positively identified him ... but have gotten a couple tips already,” Matherne said after the release and photos were posted on the sheriff’s web and Facebook pages. “These images are pretty good, so we feel confident we’ll be able to get him identified.”

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/455066b1ffdc1e26c3bb66fc85c2ba1a

A brave try!

Ugandan officers have detained a smuggler passing off a baby grow full of banned cosmetics as a child.

The "baby" was intercepted aboard a bus at the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda's customs commissioner tweeted.

"Some smugglers never cease to amuse!" Dicksons Kateshumbwa said in his post.

Tonnes of banned skin-lightening products get into Uganda every year, mostly through porous points along the border with DR Congo.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51037213

I'm not sure how effective the wigs are as camouflage. One of the CCTV images provides a pretty good facial portrait.
FBI is trying to catch a “bad wig bandit” in North Carolina

The FBI is asking the public’s help in catching a so-called “bad wig bandit” who’s been robbing banks in North Carolina.

The FBI said in a statement on Thursday that the suspect wore a different wig during each heist in the Charlotte area.

One wig was blonde. Another was black. The third was red. ...
FULL STORY (With Photos Of Bandit): https://apnews.com/6c1a1d84b441099706434df13f2b4407

The Woman With The Golden Gun, I think this might fit here.

A 21-year-old woman who fought her way up through the ranks to become a leader in a Mexican drug cartel has been killed in a gunfight with police and the army.

María Guadalupe López Esquivel, known as La Catrina, died from a bullet wound to the neck on Friday, after police received a tip-off and raided a house in the city of Aguililla. Six gunmen were captured.

Police said that she was a local boss with the Jalisco New Generation cartel. Video clips from body cameras worn by the soldiers during the confrontation show a distinctive tattoo on the thigh of López Esquivel: the skeletal figure of La Catrina, a female version of the Grim Reaper.

The video captures her dying moments: struggling for breath, she stares beseechingly up at a soldier, who tries to reassure her. “Relax, dear, the helicopter is coming for you,” a male voice says. “You are going to be fine. Try to hold on.” She dies minutes later while being taken by helicopter to hospital

With her striking good looks she rose quickly through the ranks to become one of the cartel’s most senior operatives. Her responsibilities included paying informers in rival organisations and arranging extortion and murders. On her social media pages she flaunted her apparently lavish lifestyle. In one post she can be seen posing with a gold-plated automatic weapon.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...lled-in-firefight-with-mexican-army-sz9g6txtb

A 21-year-old woman who fought her way up through the ranks to become a leader in a Mexican drug cartel has been killed in a gunfight with police and the army.

How TOTALLY unpredictable. /sarcasm
Can't say I care, but she was only 21. What a waste of a life.

Fortunately the birds were still alive but would hardly have survived the flight.

A Belgian man has been arrested at Lima Airport in Peru with 20 live birds stuffed into his suitcase.

Hugo Conings, 54, was caught trying to smuggle the birds out of the country in small cardboard boxes, officers said. They added that he was planning to fly to Madrid, Spain, to sell the birds - which were all protected species. While all of the birds survived, some showed signs of dehydration and stress and had lost part of their plumage after spending hours in the boxes.

Mr Conings was arrested on Monday and could face up to five years in prison for illegal wildlife trafficking.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-51133664

How TOTALLY unpredictable. /sarcasm
Can't say I care, but she was only 21. What a waste of a life.

Being leader of a leader of a drug cartel doesn't seem to offer long career prospects. No need to worry about a pension. You get a nice golden gun though.

Being leader of a leader of a drug cartel doesn't seem to offer long career prospects. No need to worry about a pension. You get a nice golden gun though.
I know, are people out of their MINDS? Isn't it obvious that they're going to die violently?

Maybe some feel they have no other prospects but this particular woman had been doing well in education. She gave that up to become a criminal and murder people and get shot.

Violent Vegans?

Police in Devon are investigating more than a dozen incidents of large root vegetables being thrown at moving vehicles, including one which smashed the windscreen of a patrol car responding to an incident.

Authorities say there have been 17 recorded incidents of large vegetables, including turnips and swedes, being thrown at vehicles on the A380 between Newton Abbot and Torquay in Devon since November last year. In the latest incident on Sunday night, a swede thrown from the side of the road smashed through the windscreen of an armed response patrol car responding to an emergency.

Another officer said those inside were "fine, but very annoyed", were unable to attend the incident they had been called out to, and sustained £500 worth of damages to their vehicle.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-01-20/police-hunt-after-swedes-and-turnips-hurled-at-moving-vehicles/

Truly shocking, even revolting.

A man who impersonated a doctor in order to persuade women and girls to electrocute themselves has been jailed for 11 years in Germany, officials say.

The 30-year-old, named only as David G, offered victims money to take part in fake pain therapy experiments for his sexual gratification, prosecutors said. He watched and recorded the victims on Skype as they used homemade devices connected to mains electricity.

David G was found guilty of 13 cases of attempted murder at a court in Munich. Prosecutors told the court that the IT worker from the Bavarian city of Würzburg posed as a doctor while searching for young women online to take part in a fake scientific study. They said he then contacted his victims, offering up to €3,000 ($3,325; £2,560) to participate.

He convinced them to attach devices to mains electricity before shocking themselves while he observed via Skype, prosecutors added.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51174783

Somebody's made off with almost 100 beehives ...
Nearly 100 beehives stolen from northern California orchard

Authorities are investigating the theft of nearly 100 beehives from an orchard in northern California.

The beehives, which are used to pollinate almond orchards, were discovered missing on Friday, beekeeper Mike Potts said. He estimated that the theft of the 92 hives, about a third of his operation, would cost him about $44,000 in revenue.

“It’s hard enough keeping the bees alive without someone stealing them. It’s frustrating,” Potts told KCRA-TV.

Potts, who is based in Oregon, suspects that another beekeeper who lost bees could be responsible for the theft and may have stolen hives before. Given the weight of the hives in addition to the boxes that hold them, he thinks the thief may have used a flatbed truck to drive them away.
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/f47f85c93917404c9223773b06a243de

I guess this is strange in the sense that the killer was a bored primary school principal.

The suspect arrested for the triple-murder and holdup at a gold shop in Lop Buri two weeks ago is the director of a primary school and claimed he killed to spice up his boring life, according to police sources.

The man suspected of shooting dead three people, including a young boy, and severely wounding four others is Prasittichai Khaokaew, 38, the director of Wat Pho Chai School in nearby Muang district of neighbouring Sing Buri province, the sources said. The suspect was arrested in Lop Buri on Wednesday morning on his way to work at the school.

According to the sources, investigators from the Crime Suppression Division (CSD) identified the suspect a week ago thanks to tips from local residents. Police obtained a warrant for his arrest on Tuesday evening.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailan...ld-up-suspect-claims-he-killed-for-the-thrill

I'm not placing this in the 'Dumbest Criminals' or 'Shite Excuses' thread(s) because there's always the chance she was honestly deluded ...
Nevada woman sentenced for killing she blamed on spirits

A Nevada woman who said she shot a gun at spirits who attacked her roommate was sentenced to prison for the man’s fatal shooting.

Kiahna Hawkins, 30, was sentenced to 11 to 28 years in a Nevada prison, KVVU-TV reported Wednesday.

Hawkins was evaluated and found competent to stand trial in June before she pleaded guilty to a charge of murder and entered a plea agreement.

Andre D. Smith, 49, was found dead May 3 in the North Las Vegas apartment he shared with Hawkins.

The Clark County Coroner’s Office found Smith died of a gunshot wound to the head and ruled the death a homicide.

North Las Vegas police were called to the apartment at 11:30 a.m. after Hawkins told emergency dispatchers she believed spirits had killed her roommate, a police report said.

Hawkins told police spirits appeared in the room with Smith, including one that came out of his body. She compared the experience to being “in a virtual reality video game.”

Hawkins told officers she shot a spirit in self defense, the report said.
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/6dbd2fcac3e8961bbf946fd31f5ab509

Last edited:
I'm not placing this in the 'Dumbest Criminals' or 'Shite Excuses' thread(s) because there's always the chance she was honestly deluded ...

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/6dbd2fcac3e8961bbf946fd31f5ab509

If she really believed that then surely she'd have a defence of insanity.

This happened in Devon, UK. (I have posted it elsewhere on the MB.)

Killer of three elderly Devon men found not guilty of murder due to insanity

A man with paranoid schizophrenia who killed three elderly men wrongly thinking they were sex offenders or serial murderers has been found not guilty of their murders by reason of insanity and will be detained in a secure hospital.

Alexander Lewis-Ranwell was having acute psychotic delusions when he used a hammer and spade to kill Anthony Payne, 80, and twins Dick and Roger Carter, 84, at their homes in Exeter, believing that he was acting with the police’s blessing because he had just been freed on bail following an earlier violent attack.

During the trial there was no dispute that he killed the three men. The case centred on whether he knew that what he was doing was legally and morally wrong. The jury ruled that he did not and cleared him of three murders.

There was no doubt about who had killed the three men but as the defendant was in a severe psychotic state at the time he was found not guilty of their murders by reason of insanity. He won't be walking free though as he will be detained in a secure hospital until he is considered to be no longer a risk to the public.

Back