• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Crimes

14 counts of attempted murder
Some people are hopeless aren't they?
I'm guessing it would have been 15 counts but maybe she got lucky on the 15th attempt.
Maybe he was so fed up with her trying to kill him that he decided to jump off something high instead of being pushed.

I never understand why people don't just get separated or divorced. It HAS to be less strenuous than murder.
It's not like you can't take a life insurance policy out on your ex and then keep your fingers crossed.

The Duke: A true crime film. Jim Broadbent plays 60 year old Kempton Bunton who in 1961 stole Goya's Duke of Wellington from the National Gallery, Helen Mirren is his wife, Dorothy. Mirren has to put with a lot, Bunton finds it hard to keep a job, is an aspiring playwright and campaigns for free tv licenses for OAPs and war veterans. His high jinks gets him into constant trouble with the authorities. Some great comical scenes but the best are the courtroom antics. An enjoyable comedy drama with impressive performances by Broadbent and Mirren alongside a strong supporting cast. A few interesting plot twists. Directed by Roger Michell from a screenplay by Richard Bean and Clive Coleman. 8/10.

Florida Man tries to taunt pursuing cops by breaking a beer bottle against his head, but instead gets himself shot when the sound was believed to be from the rifle he was holding in his other hand.
Fleeing Florida man breaks beer bottle over head, deputy fires back thinking it was gunshot

A man suspected in a series of central Florida crimes broke a beer bottle over his head and was shot by a sheriff’s deputy who thought the sound was a gunshot ...

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said Saturday that deputies were trying to arrest the 27-year-old man when he stood up through the sunroof of a pickup truck holding a rifle in one hand and a bottle of Busch Light beer in the other.

The sergeant, who was behind the suspect and wasn't able to see the bottle “heard the popping noise" and thought the man had shot at his deputies, Judd said. He fired one shot, hitting the man in the neck.

The man was taken to a hospital with injuries that were not thought to be life threatening. No one else was injured in the Saturday morning shooting.

The man, who was with a female companion, stole a red Toyota pickup truck from a supermarket parking lot in Winter Haven, officials said. ...

”Thank God none of our deputies were injured today,” the sheriff said. “The suspect made several bad choices this morning, including the choice that forced our sergeant to shoot him.”
SOURCE: https://www.news4jax.com/news/flori...ad-deputy-fires-back-thinking-it-was-gunshot/

I never understand why people don't just get separated or divorced. It HAS to be less strenuous than murder.
It's not like you can't take a life insurance policy out on your ex and then keep your fingers crossed.
They have all sorts of reasons, none of which will make sense to anyone else.

Years ago someone told me that one's marriage is irrevocably over when they start to fantasise about their spouse's death.

Doesn't have to be painful or undignified - quick and untraumatic will do, like a high speed car crash or a freak ladder accident - but the partner's death seems to be quick way out of a miserable situation.

This certainly occurred to me and I was astounded to learn how common it is.
Perhaps some people just take it further.

The film "I love you to Death" was based on this true story.

In 1983, Frances Toto, a mother of four living in Allentown, Pa., and married to Tony Toto, a local pizza shop owner, decided to have her husband bumped off. It was an impulsive decision, Frances said later, but not a capricious one. Tony was cheating on her pretty much around the clock, and girls were starting to call the house. “A body can only take so much,” Frances explained.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-04-11-ca-1219-story.html

After failing in attempts to blow Tony up in his car and ambush him with a baseball bat (the bomb didn’t go off and he chased the bat-wielding assailant away), she hired two amateur hit men, who for $500 put a bullet in Tony’s chest after Frances first subdued him by spiking his chicken soup with sleeping pills.
But Tony didn’t die. He lay in bed unattended for four days with two bullets in him (another of his wife’s friends tried to help by shooting him in the head), and he still didn’t die.

The film "I love you to Death" was based on this true story.

In 1983, Frances Toto, a mother of four living in Allentown, Pa., and married to Tony Toto, a local pizza shop owner, decided to have her husband bumped off. It was an impulsive decision, Frances said later, but not a capricious one. Tony was cheating on her pretty much around the clock, and girls were starting to call the house. “A body can only take so much,” Frances explained.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-04-11-ca-1219-story.html

After failing in attempts to blow Tony up in his car and ambush him with a baseball bat (the bomb didn’t go off and he chased the bat-wielding assailant away), she hired two amateur hit men, who for $500 put a bullet in Tony’s chest after Frances first subdued him by spiking his chicken soup with sleeping pills.
But Tony didn’t die. He lay in bed unattended for four days with two bullets in him (another of his wife’s friends tried to help by shooting him in the head), and he still didn’t die.
Once again, the Wicked Witch failed to kill Toto!

Man Threatened To "Cut The Gay" Out Of Brother

While threatening his brother with a knife, a Florida Man said that he was “going to cut the ‘gay’ out of” his sibling, according to police who arrested the suspect on multiple criminal charges.

davidmartinez22.jpg

David Martinez

According to a Miami-Dade Police Department report, officers responded Thursday morning to a 911 call about a “violent dispute” at a Miami residence between David Martinez, 40, and his brother.

Martinez’s kin told cops that his sibling had “been acting strangely since last night” and “threatened him while sharpening a large kitchen knife, telling him he was going to cut the ‘gay’ out of him.”

Martinez “told the victim he was going to kill him,” cops say. When the man sought to depart the residence, Martinez “followed him out, grabbed him, and told him to get back in the house.” In fear, the victim returned to the residence, but was “eventually able to exit the location and had a friend contact the police.”

Martinez was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, kidnapping, and false imprisonment, all of which are felonies. He was also charged with two misdemeanor resisting counts.

https://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/cut-the-gay-out-arrest-652930

maximus otter

Do we have any Floridian members here I wonder? No one has ever complained or cried foul about the 'Florida man/woman' stories, so I guess not. Either that, or they are in total agreement with the stereotype.

On a pedantic point, you can only insure someone else's life if you have an insurable interest in their continued survival - just like you can't insure someone else's house and hope it burns down.

An insurable interest means you stand to lose financially if the event occurs.

That will sometimes be the case with an ex, for example if the financial separation is incomplete, or there are dependant kids.

Last edited:
A terrible case.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A man shot and killed his three daughters, their chaperone and himself during a supervised visit with the girls Monday at a church in Sacramento, California, authorities said.

Deputies responding to reports of gunfire around 5 p.m. found five people dead, including the shooter, at the church in the Arden-Arcade neighborhood, said Sgt. Rod Grassmann with the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office.

The victims included three girls ages 9, 10 and 13, Grassmann said.
The shooter was estranged from his daughters’ mother, who had a restraining order against him, Sheriff Scott Jones said.

Investigators believe the shooting happened during a supervised visit with the children and that the fourth victim was their chaperone, Jones said.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/california-church-shooting_n_621d93f5e4b0afc668c50a1a

These guys should be easy to find: they'll glow in the dark.

Thieves have been warned to take care after the theft of a radioactive device from a van in Drogheda, County Louth.

It was stolen from a parked van in the Highlands area of the town sometime between 18:00 GMT on Monday night and 06:30 GMT on Tuesday morning. It was stored in a bright yellow case with the trefoil symbol for radiation warning on it.

Noel Byrne, from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), told RTÉ Radio that it was “highly probable” that the thieves were not aware of what they stole “or the potential risk they have created for themselves".

The device - a Troxler Nuclear Moisture Density Gauge - contains a radioactive source. It is used by engineers to measure the density and moisture content in construction materials, including tarmacadam on roads.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd16r0pn1qvo

Noel Byrne, from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), told RTÉ Radio that it was “highly probable” that the thieves were not aware of what they stole “or the potential risk they have created for themselves".
They stole a bright yellow box with a radiation trefoil from a van and weren't aware that it contained something that was radioactive? :thought:

They stole a bright yellow box with a radiation trefoil from a van and weren't aware that it contained something that was radioactive? :thought:

Everyone knows that sign basically means "big money". Or imminent death, one of those things.

Everyone knows that sign basically means "big money". Or imminent death, one of those things.
I was wondering if it might mean "I could build a dirty bomb out of this" to some people? Whether it actually could or not.

I was wondering if it might mean "I could build a dirty bomb out of this" to some people? Whether it actually could or not.

If that's what they're thinking, I still don't fancy their chances of survival. Just hope they don't take anyone else with them.

This Wisconsin woman has been arrested and charged with murdering and dismembering a male acquaintance. I wonder what she did to warrant the third criminal charge - for sexual assault ... :thought:
Wisconsin woman charged with killing man, mutilating corpse

A 24-year-old Wisconsin woman has been charged with killing and dismembering a man, after police discovered body parts scattered around a home in Green Bay.

Taylor Schabusiness made her first appearance in Brown County Court on Tuesday on charges of first-degree intentional homicide, mutilating a corpse and third-degree sexual assault.

The victim was a 25-year-old Green Bay man whom authorities have not publicly named.

Officers were called to a home in Green Bay on Thursday and discovered numerous body parts at various locations. ...
SOURCE: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/wisconsin-woman-charged-killing-man-mutilating-corpse-83187693

If that's what they're thinking, I still don't fancy their chances of survival. Just hope they don't take anyone else with them.

Well, l’m sure that they’ll read the 201-page manual for the device, and realise that they might receive an unhealthy dose of “magic moonbeams” if they hold the probe in their bare hands “for an hour” (Appendix D).

Based on that, l think that humanity - and Ireland - are safe.

maximus otter

This Florida man repeatedly rammed his pickup truck into an acquaintance's house to send a message. The message was apparently, "I'm an idiot, and you won't be seeing me around for a long while."
Venice man arrested for repeatedly ramming pickup truck into home

A Venice man was arrested for ramming his pickup truck into a home while cursing at the homeowner.

Venice police responded to the home and found Anthony Antonaras, 38, sitting in the bed of his Chevy truck blasting the song “Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus.

His truck had heavy damage as well as both of the home’s garage doors and the window next to the home’s front door ...

Antonaras told officers his “foot slipped,” causing him to crash his truck into the house three times. ...

A woman who was inside the home alone said she heard a loud bang and saw Antonaras driving his truck into the house on purpose.

The woman called 911 and told the dispatcher she heard Antonaras screaming “f*** you” while he drove into the house.

Antonaras and the woman know each other, Venice police noted in a report. ...

The damage to the house appeared to be well over $50,000.

Antonaras told officers that the homeowner was not a good person and that the incident was a “message.” ...

Antonaras was arrested and is facing felony charges of criminal mischief and shooting into or throwing deadly missiles into dwellings. ...
SOURCE: https://nbc-2.com/news/crime/2022/0...or-repeatedly-ramming-pickup-truck-into-home/

Well, they always say “ You get what you pay for”. I can’t think that a fraud task force would be out looking for someone who got $35.00 and a sandwich. Other than possibly finding really gullible people who think he is a well known singer, the post does say that he did give a performance at one of the churches, so not much of a fraud.

And if the person paying him for the performance, supposedly believing he was Ed Sheehan “falling on hard times”, gave him $35.00 for the performance, who was trying to take advantage of whom? Not exactly an amount that would give anyone a hand up.:rollingw:

He nearly passed the test though.

A man stunned police officers in Nottinghamshire when he told them he had driven without a licence for 52 years.

The Ashfield neighbourhood policing team stopped a vehicle in Stanton Hill on Wednesday.
Writing on Facebook, the team confirmed the vehicle had been seized.
Addressing the driver's admission, they added: "It's apparently OK though as the driver only narrowly failed his driving test in 1970."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-60673923

He nearly passed the test though.

A man stunned police officers in Nottinghamshire when he told them he had driven without a licence for 52 years.

The Ashfield neighbourhood policing team stopped a vehicle in Stanton Hill on Wednesday.
Writing on Facebook, the team confirmed the vehicle had been seized.
Addressing the driver's admission, they added: "It's apparently OK though as the driver only narrowly failed his driving test in 1970."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-60673923
I used to give a colleague a lift on early shifts after she suddenly stopped driving herself to work. Thought nothing of it as I was going that way and it was company.

Turned out, she'd been driving all her adult life with no licence and had recently been caught in her son's car. He was not impressed when it was seized. :chuckle:

Back