• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Crimes

Bungle was a bear , Gerorge was a hippo. But what the hell was Zippy, anyway?

Wastrel said:
Bungle was a bear , Gerorge was a hippo. But what the hell was Zippy, anyway?
There are some things that man was never meant to know.
On a similar note, Pluto is a dog and people have claimed Goofy was a dog, so why don't they look alike?
Is Goofy really a dog? He looks more like a cow to me.

Geoffrey's just made an emotional appeal on the radio for their safe return.

I reckon they've been sold for an enormous price to a fetish dungeon.

Ellie.

Dark Detective said:
For an excellent scientific analysis of Zippy, check this out.

This link describes Zippy as a pyramid with a head. This throws the theft into a whole new light. It can only be a sinister freemason/NWO conspiricy.

Bungle walked around nude all day. Then put clothes on to go to bed. Now that's weird.

Bungle walked around nude all day. Then put clothes on to go to bed. Now that's weird.

Perhps his bedroom was cold - it could have been a ghostly presence as they usually involve cold spots;)

And, remember George used to occasionally vanish, and his cousin Georgina, who looked and behaved identically except for long eyelashes and a floppy hat used to come and stay.

Oh for these more enlightened times...

Stu Neville said:
And, remember George used to occasionally vanish, and his cousin Georgina, who looked and behaved identically except for long eyelashes and a floppy hat used to come and stay.

Some merciful Freudian process had blocked that out of my memory... but now you come to mention it :eek!!!!:

I don't know what Zippy is, but I have a few of them in my class. Unfortunately the zip technique to quieten them doesn't work.

Poor Geoffrey. I remember an ad a while back that said he was working as a taxi driver now.

George was a homosexual, cross-dressing, pink hippo.
Bungle was a naturlist, effeminate bear
Zippy was the sub/dom gimp boy masochist
Geoffrey was the bitch
Rod, Jane and Freddy were the fluff girls.
The rainbow was everyones subconcious metaphor about drug abuse.

None of you get it, do you? None of you can see!
The horror...the horror

I...I've seen too much.

(staggers off into the night)

Rainbow costumes returned with 'sorry' note

From Ananova

Rainbow costumes returned with 'sorry' note

The original costumes of Rainbow characters Bungle, Zippy and George have been returned to their owners.

The three characters, which were stolen three days ago, were posted back in a large box with a note saying simply: "Sorry."

Former Rainbow presenter Geoffrey Hayes is said to be 'ecstatic' and relieved at their return.

They disappeared from the back of a car parked at a service station in Berkshire as they were being driven back to London following filming in Bristol for a new stage show, Over the Rainbow.

The one-man show, featuring Mr Hayes, is set to premiere at the Edinburgh Festival on August 2. He recently bought Bungle for £3,500 at auction at Christie's.

Show producer Richard Temple, whose company owns the other two costumes, said they arrived in a large box just before at his offices in Kensington High Street, central London, with no explanation other that the "sorry" note.

He said: "I am delighted. We have been rehearsing day and night since Tuesday trying to get the show ready for Edinburgh without Zippy, Bungle and George, but it was never going to be the same.

"Geoffrey is obviously ecstatic and incredibly relieved at their return and has asked me to pass on his thanks to whoever sent them back to us."

Thames Valley Police says the matter was not reported to them.

Tim Leist, a spokesman for Mr Temple, denied the incident had been a publicity stunt. He said: "Not at all. The reason it wasn't reported to police is because they weren't insured, so there was no need for a crime reference number."

Story filed: 12:27 Friday 26th July 2002

Well, Bungle the bear wasn't a puppet anyway, was he? He was a bloke in fur (many websites devoted to that). So how can it be a one man show? Plus who is going to stick their hands up the other two puppets? Can't be "one man" then.

I used to have nightmares about Rod Jane and Freddy.

pinkle

My conscience got the better of me, I couldn't keep poor Geoffrey waiting any longer for their return. :p

Tim Leist, a spokesman for Mr Temple, denied the incident had been a publicity stunt. He said: "Not at all. The reason it wasn't reported to police is because they weren't insured, so there was no need for a crime reference number."

Yeah, right. Like something worth thousands of pounds and integral to a production wouldn't be insured, and they mysteriously ended up on exactly the right doorstep, having been apparently randomly stolen from Membury services, sixty odd miles away. The non-reportage to the Police due to non-insurance, rather than definite risk of wasting police time.

Pur-lease.:rolleyes:

Stu

(and no, I won't be modding this thread, either..)

Publicity stunt or not, I'll just say I feel more sorry for Bungle, George and Zippy than I did for Ronald McDonald... ;)

Wasn't the idea of women using their nipples to drug men used in an early episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation?

Maybe that's where they got the idea from? :D

007's Favorite Suicide Method?

CSI is one of my favorites, and I don't recall that plot twist -- ouch! -- but could well be, yes.

Of course, it sounds more like a James Bond plot wrinkle, right?

JanglingJack said:
Wasn't the idea of women using their nipples to drug men used in an early episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation?

Yup. You're right, it was. :) (It was also the only episode that I watched. Never normally watch Channel 5, so I only caught it by accident. Looked a good show though.)

If I recall, CSI has also covered an old UL in one of it's episodes where a scuba diver was found dead, at the top of a tree after a forest fire... though there was a twist to it.

It is a good series, easily the best thing on Channel 5 (not counting the repeats of TJ Hooker and Magnum PI, of course ;)

NASA hacked

WASHINGTON -- NASA cybercrime investigators are looking into the theft of militarily significant design documents pertaining to the next generation of reusable space vehicles.

The documents, which are restricted under current export laws from being shared with foreign nationals or governments and are also strictly controlled under the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), were obtained by Computerworld from a hacker who claims to be based in Latin America.

The documents were authored by contractors from The Boeing Co. and a joint venture between East Hartford, Conn.-based Pratt & Whitney and Sacramento, Calif.-based Aerojet. All of the vendors also labeled the documents "competition sensitive," and while it is not yet clear whether sensitive data on military and commercial technologies may have been compromised, defense and intelligence experts said the incident could have both national security and political ramifications.
The full story can be read here.

Good luck to 'em. NASA's been planning 'the next generation of reusable space vehicles' for 20 years and hasn't produced anything except artist's conceptions. Maybe somebody else can do better.

Sicilians Smuggled... Bananas!

Antonio Grasso sits on a pile of empty fruit crates, recalling the great days when they were packed with bananas.

"This warehouse used to be full to bursting," he says sadly. "What we pulled off was a triumph for the little man. On the coast of Sicily, a small family business built one of the biggest banana brands in Europe and frightened the life out of the multinationals like Del Monte and Chiquita."

Unfortunately for Mr Grasso, those heady times are gone. Along with two brothers, he is to go on trial this autumn, charged with illegally importing more than 142,000 tons of bananas into the Sicilian port of Catania.

Italian magistrates say Mr Grasso owes about £38 million in unpaid Customs duties on 10.5 million boxes of produce. After a two-year inquiry, European Union anti-fraud investigators have just concluded that the Grasso family "netted hundreds of millions of euros" through illegal banana trafficking, using false import licences.

(Full Story)

Taunton "Scream" Mask Scare

Hunt for knifeman in Scream mask seen outside school

Ananova
Wednesday October 9, 2002 10:47 PM
Police are launching an investigation after several children reported seeing a knife-wielding masked man loitering outside their village school.
Pupils at Heathfield Community School in Monkton Heathfield, Taunton, say they saw a man at the edge of their playing fields.
He was said to be dressed all in black, wearing a white mask similar to the one used in the film Scream and carrying a large kitchen knife.
Police are treating the sightings "very seriously" and will be deploying officers to patrol the school grounds.
Inspector Clive Collins, from Avon and Somerset Police, said officers were first told of the sightings at 11.55am by a teacher at the school.
However, he said that when police attended and conducted a search of the surrounding area they found no trace of the masked man.
The school's headteacher then telephoned again about three hours later to report another sighting, but again the man had disappeared by the time police arrived.
When interviewed, some of the pupils suggested that the man had been hanging around the school for "several days", Insp Collins said.
Insp Collins emphasised that the man had not approached any children, or tried to stab or abduct anyone.
However, he said: "The last thing we want is something untoward to happen. Even though this man has not done anything, we are taking this very seriously."

The "Scream" costume is sold with a giant plastic kitchen knife I noticed while passing a local costumers...

40,000 coathangers!?

This is one of the funniest news stories that I've ever read :chuffed:

Counsel: Can you explain how this [the theft of 40,000 coat hangers] came about?

Chrysler: Yes. I had 40,000 coats which I needed to hang up.

Counsel: Is that true?

Chrysler: No.
You can read the story here.

:laughing:

Back