• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

I have to keep reminding my Mum to drink fluid. Water, tea, whatever.
I have painstakingly explained to her that old people who don't drink enough fluid eventually go into decline and then die. Even so, she still won't take any notice of me.
I sometimes set reminders, a ping every hour to remind me to drink something. I just don't ever feel thirsty even after a half marathon run.
When you can't eat enough to keep up with the calorie burn and are literally starving you'll know.
I do not have a problem with food. Only liquids. Can eat like nobody's business, me.

@catseye was talking about dinking, not eating.
Have you ever done a long-distance event Scarg?

Staying hydrated relies on what you eat and drink.

Both are completely linked.

Eat before you feel hungry, drink before you feel thirsty. This is the long-distance rider/runner code. Anyone who doesn't get that shouldn't be doing either.

Last edited:
I sometimes set reminders, a ping every hour to remind me to drink something. I just don't ever feel thirsty even after a half marathon run.

I do not have a problem with food. Only liquids. Can eat like nobody's business, me.

When I used to run half marathons I wouldn't either, it's a half marathon, it's not a biggy., I used to do that once a week. When you go further I found that it gets different. Most of your time is spent on how you are going to fuel your body.

Last edited:
The has been much discussion among film crew about the death on the Baldwin film. There are strict rules about handling guns on a set, and several basic safety protocols appear to have been ignored; not just leaving a live round in a gun on a set (having a live round on a set) but pointing and shooting toward the camera - usually the shot is set and the camera is locked, crew steps away, and at no time does anyone shoot even what they think is a blank toward another person including toward a crew member. There is also background information. The film is low-budget and the union (trained) camera crew had walked off the set before the accident to protest what sound like pretty horrendous working conditions including safety concerns. The armorer (not a union job) is the person responsible for everything that touches in any way a firearm on a film set, they are an obsessively careful group, and the armorer had just also been replaced with what appears to be someone's family member. Only the armorer and the actor should touch a firearm. He should have been the person to hand the gun to the actor (making one last check on the blank), instead someone else just took if off the prop table and gave it to Baldwin. The DP who was killed had a 9 year old son. Very bad situation.

The has been much discussion among film crew about the death on the Baldwin film. There are strict rules about handling guns on a set, and several basic safety protocols appear to have been ignored; not just leaving a live round in a gun on a set (having a live round on a set) but pointing and shooting toward the camera - usually the shot is set and the camera is locked, crew steps away, and at no time does anyone shoot even what they think is a blank toward another person including toward a crew member. There is also background information. The film is low-budget and the union (trained) camera crew had walked off the set before the accident to protest what sound like pretty horrendous working conditions including safety concerns. The armorer (not a union job) is the person responsible for everything that touches in any way a firearm on a film set, they are an obsessively careful group, and the armorer had just also been replaced with what appears to be someone's family member. Only the armorer and the actor should touch a firearm. He should have been the person to hand the gun to the actor (making one last check on the blank), instead someone else just took if off the prop table and gave it to Baldwin. The DP who was killed had a 9 year old son. Very bad situation.

why would you have a live round in a gun on a set?

To use in a scene where the effect of the gunshot was intended to be portrayed on-camera ...
Yes and no. If live ammunition is needed the shot is done when absolutely the minimum mumber of people is present. But it would be rare - the damage done by a live cartridge would mostly be indicated by a special effect, squib or something. Can't trust the shooter to hit what you want hit in any case.

Amen. Why the **** was there even a live round present? There is no result produced by firing a live round that can’t be replicated by the use of blanks, special effects or squibs.

lt seems that my suspicions about Baldwin’s involvement were groundless. Someone needs to do time for this jaw-dropping laxness and stupidity.

maximus otter

I have to keep reminding my Mum to drink fluid. Water, tea, whatever.
I have painstakingly explained to her that old people who don't drink enough fluid eventually go into decline and then die. Even so, she still won't take any notice of me.
That's because children don't know anything and can safely be ignored.

Amen. Why the **** was there even a live round present? There is no result produced by firing a live round that can’t be replicated by the use of blanks, special effects or squibs.

lt seems that my suspicions about Baldwin’s involvement were groundless. Someone needs to do time for this jaw-dropping laxness and stupidity.

maximus otter
I can forsee a multi million if not billion $ lawsuit coming on. Lawyers will be clamouring for this one. No defense.

maximus otter
I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will whine that someone was setting Baldwin up for a gigantic fall.

I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will whine that someone was setting Baldwin up for a gigantic fall.
That occurred to me too. However, the incident bears out what he's said all along about the dangers of guns.

When I used to run half marathons I wouldn't either, it's a half marathon, it's not a biggy., I used to do that once a week. When you go further I found that it gets different. Most of your time is spent on how you are going to fuel your body.
Well get you! Half a marathon is a biggy for me!

According to court records, Baldwin was told the gun was 'cold', meaning it was safe, before the fatal shot.

"The gun that actor Alec Baldwin fired on set, killing a woman, was handed to him by a director who told him it was safe, court records show.

Assistant director Dave Halls did not know the prop contained live ammunition and indicated it was unloaded by shouting "cold gun!", the records say.

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was fatally shot in the chest in Thursday's incident on the set of the film Rust.

Director Joel Souza, who was standing behind her, was wounded."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59018391

maximus otter
The person responsible for guns that day is in her 20s and has very little experience. Whoever put her in that role will get the big lawsuit.
Perhaps Alec Baldwin, because he is a co-producer.

Here are some rules regarding the use of firearms on a film set.

Whose responsibility is it?​

Safety on set is the responsibility of the producer, the director and the first assistant director (First AD). The First AD is the producer’s voice on set: responsible for on set safety calls with input from the safety supervisor and armourer. He or she will have been briefed by the producer, who provides a risk assessment and an industry standard safety report.

The armourer is responsible for inducting anyone handling the firearm on set and safely keeping the weapons. Police and neighbors should be notified by the production office of the presence of firearms and intended blank firing to avoid distress and false alarm calls.

Each day, the First AD and the armourer should discuss the proposed schedule of use and the safe storage of the firearms between use. The First AD should be satisfied that the guns brought to set are safe and unloaded and that no live ammunition is on set.

The First AD must, if it hasn’t been possible in rehearsal, arrange for all cast who are scheduled to be handling the firearms on the day to be inducted in the safe handling of the firearm that they will be using.

The armourer (who holds the guns) will then be on standby to issue firearms as required by the script. This is where it all gets a little Full Metal Jacket.

Each time a gun is handed to a performer, the armourer must open the weapon’s breach and present it to the performer with verbal confirmation such as, “The weapon is clear”.

When the performer is satisfied that the gun is not loaded they should audibly confirm “Clear”.

When it is returned to the armourer following the take, the same clear verbal confirmation is required.

https://theconversation.com/explainer-the-rules-for-shooting-on-film-sets-71797

As I remember, from being on location shoots, and also working on them, a lot (if not all) of stuff you see in the movies is fake.
(My experience with actual firearms is pretty limited though so I'm not specifically talking about actual 'live' firearms being required 'on set', but other stuff).
As has been covered in Mythbusters, and more recently by Tom Scott, when real stuff is filmed it does not give sufficient 'action' for use in film.
In real life, cars do not explode in a massive fireball when they drive over a cliff, or into a wall, or another vehicle etc etc, this has to specially rigged for films using bags full of gas, or large 'black powder' charges, or a combination of these and/or other explosives.
Similarly, machine guns do not spit out flames and smoke in slow motion, this also has to be created using special incendiary rounds.
A big factor in most films though is budget (or rather, the lack of it) so stuff is done as cheaply as possible to achieve the effect required for the filming.
SFX teams are masters at producing convincing 'visuals' for shots, cobbling together stuff like bits of metal pipe and glued together bits of other tat to resemble firearms of all sorts using a tiny feed of compressed air and coloured powder to mimic shots being fired - if this can be done instead of spending money on actual real live guns without compromising the 'visuals' once filmed, then that is what they will do - it's cheaper and safer.
Careful editing together of filming done from different angles creates the illusion of a real firearm being used when in fact only one close-up of the 'real' gun is used briefly.

I remember working once on a Disney production which IIRC was called 'The London Connection' which was a sort of 'James Bond' type of spy film with guns and cars and gadgets etc. One of the cars used as the 'Hero' car (a term used to define the vehicle that is the good one that doesn't get damaged) was a nice red Jaguar, but there were several 'clunkers' that were identical models which had been salvaged from scrap yards, sprayed up to look good and then variously worked upon to have machine guns hidden behind headlights that moved out the way, and to blow up in a crash etc etc.

Aha - it's on youtube in it's entirety! I had forgotten about the remote control Transit van too! (That just had somebody hiding inside to drive it), ....and the motorbike and sidecar with the rockets.
What a terrible turkey of a film.

Whose responsibility is it?​

Safety on set is the responsibility of the producer, the director and the first assistant director (First AD).
As we've heard further up-thread and elsewhere Baldwin is a co-producer for Rust and the armourer was apparently replaced with someone of little experience. The other person who's liable is the director who was injured.

The inevitable court case will be interesting.

It'll be like the old conundrum given to law students where a man jumps from a high building and is shot by someone through a lower window, who had aimed the gun at her husband in a temper; she had expected the gun to be unloaded as usual but the husband had loaded it with the intention of murdering her...

Back