• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

Police: Pregnant librarian killed in alleged road rage shooting was aggressor​

ORANGE CITY, Fla. - A pregnant Volusia County librarian was killed in an alleged road rage incident in Orange City over the weekend. However, investigators have identified the victim as the aggressor.

Sara Nicole Morales, 35, was shot outside her house after deputies said she drove home to get a gun following some sort of altercation with a motorcyclist.

According to Orange City police officers, Morales was involved in an incident with the motorcyclist on N. Volusia Avenue just after 5 p.m. on Saturday.

Investigators said Morales was behind the wheel of a blue Kia when she intentionally hit the motorcycle in the 1400 block of N. Volusia Ave. and then fled the scene, traveling southbound on U.S. Highway 17-92. The motorcyclist and a witness followed Morales to the intersection of 17-92 and Wisconsin Ave, where they attempted to get her to stop.

The motorcyclist and witness continued to follow Morales to her home while also contacting law enforcement, authorities said.

Sara Nicole Morales, 35, was shot outside her house in Orange City, Florida, on Nov. 20, 2021.
According to police, when Morales arrived at her house, she entered the residence to retrieve a gun and a confrontation took place in the roadway. Morales was shot multiple times by the motorcyclist.

Police said the motorcyclist, who has a concealed weapons permit, remained at the scene and has been cooperating with investigators.

Orange City Fire Rescue responded to provide medical care at the scene before Morales was transported to Halifax Health Medical Center where she succumbed to her injuries.

According to those close to Morales, she was approximately four to five months pregnant. She leaves behind an 11-year-daughter and a fiancé.

The investigation is ongoing and no one has been charged.

There are already conspiracy ideas circulating. I wonder if the Jersey Devil will make an appearance.

Stafford couple found dead in 'thickest part of the Pine Barrens,' police say
https://www.app.com/story/news/loca...ead-thickest-part-pine-barrens-nj/8827246002/

Gary and Lorraine Parker were found lying together some distance from their all-terrain vehicle, their bodies heavily injured from sharp vegetation in the underbrush.

An autopsy was expected to be completed Wednesday but the cause of death of the Stafford couple, who had been missing for two weeks, may not be immediately known for some time.

Stafford police Capt. James Vaughn said it is unknown why the pair left the ATV and how they ended up in that dense area.

Five dead found in house East Germany, among them three children
In a house in the East German town of Königs Wusterhausen, five dead were found. It concerns three children (4, 8 and 10 years old) and two adults of 40 years old.

The victims all have gunshot and stab wounds. The homicide department of the police has taken over the investigation, police and justice report to news agency DPA. What happened in the house is still unclear.

Police found the five bodies around noon in an apartment complex in the town south of Berlin. According to a police spokesman, a call came in earlier in the day from someone who had not seen the residents of the house for a while.
https://nos.nl/artikel/2408179-vijf-doden-gevonden-in-huis-oost-duitsland-onder-hen-drie-kinderen

Hiking in the desert heat: at the risk of being a PIA, I'll restate some basic precautions: DELI
Don't go if it is going to be over 100F.
Every person needs to carry own water, cell phone, map, etc. and needs to know the destination route.
Leave hike info (date, time, destination, # persons) at trail head or with another person.
If you start feeling sick, too hot, confused, or weird, stop and go back.

I live in a hot desert in an area with thousands of miles of trails, and so this stuff really hits home.

some basic precautions: DELI

I like your DELI acronym.
I've always liked STOP, as applied in 'survival' situations.
Stop (Stop moving to conserve energy and prevent getting lost, or more lost)
Think (Think about the situation you are in and what you can do to improve your survival chances)
Organise (Organise yourself and your surroundings to take best advantage of your supplies and resources)
Plan (Plan your best method of surviving and/or getting rescued, and/or how you are going to self-rescue)

I like your DELI acronym.
I've always liked STOP, as applied in 'survival' situations.
Stop (Stop moving to conserve energy and prevent getting lost, or more lost)
Think (Think about the situation you are in and what you can do to improve your survival chances)
Organise (Organise yourself and your surroundings to take best advantage of your supplies and resources)
Plan (Plan your best method of surviving and/or getting rescued, and/or how you are going to self-rescue)
Yes, STOP is really good. I had read about STOP, especially for Australian adventures. Decades ago, an outdoors teacher told me that acronyms based in food were easier to remember. I liked the DELI because it is very specific and prescriptive, which is useful for inexperienced hikers who die on public, well-marked trails.

Hiking in the desert heat: at the risk of being a PIA, I'll restate some basic precautions: DELI
Don't go if it is going to be over 100F.
Every person needs to carry own water, cell phone, map, etc. and needs to know the destination route.
Leave hike info (date, time, destination, # persons) at trail head or with another person.
If you start feeling sick, too hot, confused, or weird, stop and go back.

I live in a hot desert in an area with thousands of miles of trails, and so this stuff really hits home.
I've hiked in 42C a few times and it's not fun. You need to start with incredible amounts of water, which vanishes alarmingly quickly (you wish your pack was heavy again!). And if you feel unwell, you can't really stop and wait to feel better, because you are only going to feel worse and worse... you have to hike out of the furnace, whether that is forward or backward. I can't imagine taking a child or a pet in those conditions. Terrible.

I've hiked in 42C a few times and it's not fun. You need to start with incredible amounts of water, which vanishes alarmingly quickly (you wish your pack was heavy again!). And if you feel unwell, you can't really stop and wait to feel better, because you are only going to feel worse and worse... you have to hike out of the furnace, whether that is forward or backward. I can't imagine taking a child or a pet in those conditions. Terrible.
Yes. Those are serious hikes you take! I think it is a common mistake for amateurs who feel unwell from the heat to stop in the heat and sun and try to rest. Where did you hike in such hot conditions?

ps - I think I have been singularly unsuccessful in persuading hikers in trouble to stop and go back. No matter what approach I used, they (usually young men) just wanted to continue and nobody was going to tell them they shouldn't.

Yes. Those are serious hikes you take! I think it is a common mistake for amateurs who feel unwell from the heat to stop in the heat and sun and try to rest. Where did you hike in such hot conditions?

ps - I think I have been singularly unsuccessful in persuading hikers in trouble to stop and go back. No matter what approach I used, they (usually young men) just wanted to continue and nobody was going to tell them they shouldn't.
I've hit those temperatures in Spain (parts of Galicia), Mexico, and the Guatemalan lowlands.

Five dead found in house East Germany, among them three children
In a house in the East German town of Königs Wusterhausen, five dead were found. It concerns three children (4, 8 and 10 years old) and two adults of 40 years old.

The victims all have gunshot and stab wounds. The homicide department of the police has taken over the investigation, police and justice report to news agency DPA. What happened in the house is still unclear.

Police found the five bodies around noon in an apartment complex in the town south of Berlin. According to a police spokesman, a call came in earlier in the day from someone who had not seen the residents of the house for a while.
https://nos.nl/artikel/2408179-vijf-doden-gevonden-in-huis-oost-duitsland-onder-hen-drie-kinderen
This case is even more tragic. Such a waste of life!

German investigators have said a suspected murder-suicide near Berlin was linked to a fake COVID-19 certificate.

The bodies of five people -- including three children aged 4, 8, and 10 -- were found with gunshot wounds at their home in Koenigs Wusterhausen on Saturday.
Authorities believe the 40-year-old man had shot dead his wife and children before killing himself.

Prosecutor Gernot Bantleon told the German DPA news agency that the man had left a note saying he had procured a fake vaccination certificate for his wife.

COVID-19 certificates were made mandatory for German employees last month as the country tightened its anti-virus restrictions.

His wife's employer had reportedly found out and the couple was afraid that they might be arrested and their children taken away, Bantleon said.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/12/07...ked-to-fake-covid-certificate-says-prosecutor

Woman pulled from submerged car near brink of Niagara Falls

The location is a bit WTF - 50 yards from the edge of Niagara Falls. The woman driver was pulled from the car by helicopter crew but not alive.

1639056824701.png

This happened in May. It's so sad.

A girl was chatting with friends while playing on a swing at home. She seems to have deliberately pushed her head through a rope, possibly to see what would happen.

Safe Cheshire Live News link -
Tragic death of schoolgirl, 11, who died in horrific garden accident while on video call to friends

An 11-year-old Cheshire girl died after a tragic incident in which she accidentally strangled herself with the rope on a garden swing while on a video call to friends, an inquest heard.

Grace Patricia Hamnet, from Widnes, was on a group telephone chat with school friends when tragedy struck at her home address on the morning of May 23 this year.

She sadly died at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool five days later.

Been reported recently in Australia that on the final day of the school term, a bouncy castle had been hired for the kids to enjoy. Loaded up with small children the structure was blown up and away by a sudden gust of wind. Children fell 30 feet, 4 dying immediately and others with very serious injuries. Some emergency workers called to the scene couldn't cope. Those poor families.

Been reported recently in Australia that on the final day of the school term, a bouncy castle had been hired for the kids to enjoy. Loaded up with small children the structure was blown up and away by a sudden gust of wind. Children fell 30 feet, 4 dying immediately and others with very serious injuries. Some emergency workers called to the scene couldn't cope. Those poor families.
That was on the news early yesterday. Since then another child has died. How sad, especially at this time of year.

We have a 'Dangerous Play' thread with mentions of similar accidents. Some British fairground workers went to prison after one.

A possible explanation of what happened on set when Alec Baldwin discharged a gun accidentally during filming:

Another analysis:

Last edited:
The Krasznica / Wasserberger deaths were mentioned in Fort's Wild Talents:
The Observer (London) Aug. 23, 1925--"A mysterious tragedy is reported from the Polish Tatra mountains, near the health-resort of Zakopane. A party, composed of Mr. Kasznica, the Judge of the Supreme Court, his wife, a twelve-year-old son, and a young student of Cracow University, started in fine weather for a short excursion in the neighboring mountains. Two days later, three of them were found dead."

Mrs. Kasznica was alive. She told that all were climbing, and were in good condition, when suffocation came upon them. "A stifling wind," she thought. One after another they had dropped unconscious. The post-mortem examinations revealed nothing that indicated deaths by suffocation, nor anything else that could be definitely settled upon. "Some newspapers suggest a crime, but so far the case remains a mystery."

Here is a 2004 photo of the 'Frog Pond' - the alpine lake or pond area where the Kasznica / Wasserberger deaths occurred. As you can tell, the pond area is rugged alpine terrain. The party presumably descended through the valley in the background. It's not clear where the path they'd been following was located.

FrogPond-A.jpg
Zabie Javorove Lake(1886) - somewhere in this area in August of 1925 - the drama of the Kasznicas' family took place ...
The prominent peak seen higher in the ridge going on the right is famous Ostry Stit ...​
SOURCE: https://www.summitpost.org/zabie-javorove-lake-1886/103687

Mochi cakes are glutinous dumplings made of pounded rice, served in various sweet and savoury dishes and eaten 'in vast quantities' around New Year in Japan. The elderly and children readily choke on them. ...

Traditional mochi consumption at New Year's and the associated choking deaths continue ...
At least 4 women dead in Japan after choking on traditional new year rice cakes

A new year tradition was deadly this year for four women in Japan who died after choking on traditional sticky rice cakes known as "mochi."

The Tokyo Fire Department said that all four women, who were in their 80s, were among more than a dozen people who were hospitalized after eating mochi over the first two days of January. ...

Most were also in their 80s, officials said.

One of the women who died choked on an "ozoni" rice cake soup on New Year's Day. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2022/01/03/japan-new-year-mochi-cakes-deaths/5901641216096/

Back