• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

A 7-year-old Italian girl was playing in a Munich hotel courtyard when a statue fell onto her. She died from her injuries. It's unclear whether she was climbing on the statue.
Lavinia Trematerra, 7, crushed to death by 440-pound marble statue in Munich hotel courtyard

A 7-year-old Italian girl was crushed to death by a 440-pound marble statue while playing in a hotel courtyard in Munich last week.

Lavinia Trematerra, from Naples, was on holiday with her parents when the accident occurred Friday evening.

According to local reports, Trematerra was playing with an 8-year-old boy when the unfixed statue toppled on top of her. ...

Paramedics arrived on the scene and attempted to resuscitate her before taking her to the hospital where she died a couple of hours later. ...

Munich police have opened an investigation, including claims that the girl was possibly climbing the statue before it fell on her.
FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2022/08/30/lavinia-trematerra-7-crushed-by-statue-in-munich-hotel/

I thought we had a thread titled something like 'Russian Defenestration'?

I thought we had a thread titled something like 'Russian Defenestration'?

No, there's no thread specifically dedicated to the recurrent Russian defenestrations.
See update in later post.

Last edited:
recurrent Russian defenestrations.
Ah, but has the recurrence been frequent enough to warrant them getting a dedicated thread?
I dare say it would be a pain in the neck for someone to have to go back through relevant threads and finding posts about 'Soviet window ejection murders' and corralling them into one pen?

l would imagine that brakes “failed” because the f*****t of a driver was too busy pressing another pedal.

Now we have another victim of the common delusion that 4WD, power-assisted steering and antilock brakes enable one to contravene the laws of physics.

maximus otter
It could be that one of the main modules in the car failed suddenly, causing the engine to switch off, and the steering and brakes (all electrically operated) to fail. Speed no doubt was a main factor. This sudden failure happened to Ms P on the M6, just as she was approaching a services off ramp. Engine cut and brakes and steering all went. Fortunately not at great speed and the car was slowed by a very wide grass verge and stopped by dense bushes. No injuries to her or passengers but car written off. It also happened to me at slow speed, but on a very quiet straight road and I was able to bring the car to a halt. Actually a bit scary.

It could be that one of the main modules in the car failed suddenly, causing the engine to switch off, and the steering and brakes (all electrically operated) to fail. Speed no doubt was a main factor. This sudden failure happened to Ms P on the M6, just as she was approaching a services off ramp. Engine cut and brakes and steering all went. Fortunately not at great speed and the car was slowed by a very wide grass verge and stopped by dense bushes. No injuries to her or passengers but car written off. It also happened to me at slow speed, but on a very quiet straight road and I was able to bring the car to a halt. Actually a bit scary.

Possible, but vanishingly unlikely considering all the circumstances.

The RTA was caused by a bellend showing off at 120mph.

maximus otter

Ah, but has the recurrence been frequent enough to warrant them getting a dedicated thread?

Frequent? No. Cumulatively substantial enough? Yes.

I dare say it would be a pain in the neck for someone to have to go back through relevant threads and finding posts about 'Soviet window ejection murders' and corralling them into one pen?

Yes, it's a pain.

Two threads have now been established / refurbished as locations for stories of actual or presumed defenestration (as opposed to accidents):

Russians 'Falling' From Windows
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/russians-falling-from-windows.69818/

Defenestration (Thrown Out A Window / Off A Height): Miscellaneous
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ut-a-window-off-a-height-miscellaneous.11126/

The "strange" aspect of this story concerns the deceased's high-performance participation in physically risky sports even though he had a congenital heart problem and a history of seizures. At least he died doing what he obviously loved ...
Hawaii surf champ, 24, reportedly dies after seizure in the water

Kalani David, the 24-year-old surfing and skateboarding sensation from Hawaii, died during a practice surf session in Costa Rica, the Associated Press reported.

David was in the water at Playa Hermosa, Jacó, on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica when he "apparently suffered some kind of epileptic seizure and drowned,” the Costa Rica Judicial Investigation Agency told the AP. His death is still under investigation. ...

David, who was born Kalani David Feeney Barrientos but goes by his first two names in the World Surf League, had a congenital heart disease called Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome that can occasionally cause the heart to beat rapidly and trigger seizures. In 2016, he had a seizure attack while skateboarding at Prince Park in Oceanside, Calif., followed by multiple other seizures, including one that lasted for 6 hours ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/surfing-champion-Kalani-David-dies-17452606.php

The "strange" aspect of this story concerns the deceased's high-performance participation in physically risky sports even though he had a congenital heart problem and a history of seizures. At least he died doing what he obviously loved ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/surfing-champion-Kalani-David-dies-17452606.php
People I know who have seizures do not join in in any water immersion activities/sports for that very reason. If they have regular seizures that involve any loss of consciousness, they also usually have showers vs baths to prevent possibility of drowning.

This man is also young and probably had a sense of invincibility as young people do.

Death by wardrobe

Seems unlikely but..

Chloe Haynes reportedly mistook it for a toilet door in the middle of the night.

The 21-year-old was found dead in her hotel room at around 6:30am on September 10, after emergency services rushed to the scene following a ‘concern for safety’.
Chloe had shared the room with a colleague, who found her trapped body in the early hours of the morning and raised the alarm.

Her mother Nicola Williams, 49, says the wardrobe fell from the wall and crushed Chloe’s windpipe after she got out of bed ‘confused’ following a late night out.

‘It seems she has got up out of the bed confused, not knowing where she is, and she’s opened the door of the wardrobe, maybe thinking it is the toilet or the door to go back out of the room.

‘It was a big, old, heavy wardrobe and it fell on her and crushed her windpipe.’

Chloe’s mother said her friend came across the horrific scene upon his return to the room in the early hours of the morning.

For some reason this Florida man thought it important to attempt draining his swimming pool into the nearby canal as Hurricane Ian hit. His wife called the cops when he didn't return. He apparently drowned.
Man dies while trying to drain pool during Hurricane Ian

A 72-year-old man died while trying to drain his pool as Hurricane Ian barrelled across Florida Thursday morning.

According to the Volusia County Sheriff's Office, said the victim's wife contacted authorities after her husband did not return to the house.

Deputies said they found the man's flashlight upon arriving, then spotted him in a canal behind the home. He was unresponsive at that time ...

Investigators say the man was using a hose to drain the pool down a hill and into the canal, where there was a steep decline. They believe the man fell as the ground was extremely soft and slippery due to the heavy rain. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.abc15.com/news/national/man-dies-while-trying-to-drain-pool-during-hurricane-ian

Seems unlikely

"got out of bed ‘confused’ following a late night out."

I did that on an 18-30s holiday in Benidorm in about 1986 and was busting for a leak, feeling around at knee level, in the dark, wondering where the hell the toilet went, before realising it was the wardrobe I had opened.
So I went to the bathroom and managed to pull the handle off the door.
Then once I managed to get in there, I forgot that the the toilet pan had been (for some reason) fitted tight into the corner of the room so the lid and seat would not lift up higher than about 60 degrees. Why the Spaniards thought this was logical has always baffled me.
I managed to actually piss in the pan though.
And I didn't kill myself in the process.

Cartoonist Alex Raymond of Flash Gordon comic strip fame had a very strange death. This is the best write-up on it I can find:
https://www.hoganmag.com/blog/alex-raymonds-last-ride
Alex Raymond's Last Ride

Stan Drake talks about surviving the fatal car wreck that took Alex Raymond’s life—was it an accident or suicide?

By Arlen Schumer

The September 7, 1956, edition of The New York Times gave it nearly 11 inches of space, headlined "CARTOONIST DIES IN WRECK OF AUTO" and treated it in a straightforward manner: Alex Raymond, then known as the creator of Rip Kirby, had died the previous day in a single-car accident. Objectively yet respectfully, the account briefly summarized Raymond's accomplishments, among them the creation of the landmark feature Flash Gordon and the co-creation of Secret Agent X-9. And buried in the story was a mention of Raymond's gravely injured passenger, fellow cartoonist Stan Drake, then working on The Heart of Juliet Jones.

It was an accident like so many others: a driver losing control on a rain-slicked road and wrapping his vehicle around a tree. But was it like so many other accidents?

The Alex Raymond that Stan Drake recalls was a striking figure: matinee-idol handsome with a pencil-thin mustache, virile, hugely talented and admired among his peers, having served as president of the National Cartoonists Society (its third chief, succeeding Rube Goldberg and Milton Caniff).

Apart from being a man in firm control of his art and career—King Features offered Raymond $35,000 a year to produce a Sunday Rip Kirby page, only to have Raymond decline the offer, citing the extra work the page would impose—Raymond liked to play hard. Then 46, he was always ready for an opportunity to indulge his passion: racing cars.

One day, Raymond paid Drake a visit as he was working on a Juliet Jones strip. "Back in those days, I was doing The Heart of Juliet Jones, and I was using Polaroid references of models. I gave them all kinds of expressions—fear, anguish, happiness—and Alex never did. And he came to me and said, 'What is this thing with expressions you're doing? It looks great.' He complimented me on doing these real people in Juliet Jones. I couldn't believe that the greatest artist in the world was asking me about expressions!"

Drake, as it turns out, was paying a price for introducing human expressions into his work: Sylvan Byck, then comics editor at King Features, was admonishing the 35-year-old Drake to drop the use of emotional expression in his characters' faces. "Byck asked me, 'What are you doing with these expressions? We don't usually do that.' He tried to put me down, believe it or not," Drake said. "He said, 'Just draw people.' And I said, 'I'm going to draw people the way they are. If you want to buy Juliet Jones, that's what you're going to get."

Raymond, while a master of cartooning, was also an eager student of the form, and he had dropped by Drake's Westport, Connecticut, studio to talk shop. "He would come up to the studio, and we would talk and discuss things, and suddenly it dawned on me, 'Here is the number, one artist in the world, coming to my little studio, I had only started Juliet Jones three years ago in 1953, asking me about expressions.' So I was very honored and thrilled, and I told him that people are people, that they have expressions. And I couldn't believe that it was all new to him, couldn't believe it. I don't know what he did with it, because he died shortly thereafter."

Drake's new sports car—a 1956 Corvette convertible—also came up as a topic of conversation during that visit. Raymond said he wanted to drive the Corvette, which boasted 450 horsepower and a four-second acceleration from 0 to 60 miles per hour, to compare it to one of his cars, a gullwing Mercedes that was then in the shop to have platinum plugs installed. Drake readily agreed to allow Raymond to take a spin in his car, so they jumped in Drake's other car, a rather more austere Chevrolet, to travel from his studio to his home, where the Corvette was parked.

September 6 was a typical fall day in Connecticut—a steady rain was falling, and the top was up on the Corvette. At first, Drake took the wheel, traveling around Westport while Raymond admired the automobile. "Finally, we were on a road over by the highway, and he said, 'Can I drive?' and I said, 'Sure.' "

The two switched places, Raymond got out of the car to walk over to the driver's side, while Drake stayed in the car and slid over to the passenger's seat, and Raymond began driving down South Morningside Drive to Clapboard Road. Once on Clapboard Road, Raymond began driving as if he were on Thompson Speedway, his favorite race course in northern Connecticut.

As he sped down the steeply graded Clapboard, he failed to see a stop sign that was hidden by overgrown weeds. Racing through the intersection, Raymond and Drake were suddenly in a free fall: Clapboard dropped off precipitously after the stop sign, and the velocity of the car launched it into midair. "By not stopping, we shot out about sixty feet into the air," Drake said. "They calculated where the wheels hit the road, and it was about sixty feet. The last thing I remember, we were coming right at these trees. There was a pencil on the dashboard, and it was floating in the air. That's the last thing I remember before we hit."

When Drake regained consciousness, he was lying in a grassy field, pelted with the continuing rain. He had not been wearing a seatbelt and had been thrown 35 feet from the car; he is still uncertain from which part of the car he was thrown (his best guess is the door). "I was just in shock," he said. "I thought to myself, 'What the hell am I doing, lying down in a field in the rain? I don't do this, this is crazy!'

"Then I heard footsteps running toward me, and I heard a girl's voice saying, 'Don't hurt his leg, Daddy!' " That voice belonged to the daughter of one of the emergency rescue workers who responded to the accident. Drake then slipped back into unconsciousness.

When he awoke, he was lying in a hospital bed, a doctor standing beside him, cursing: "That goddamn son of a bitch!" Drake asked him what the matter was. The doctor told Drake that this was the fourth time in the past month Raymond had been hospitalized due to injuries sustained in auto accidents. "He had been trying to kill himself," Drake said.

Drake's injuries were grave: he suffered various internal injuries and a broken shoulder. Both his ears had been ripped off his head and had to be reattached. His rehabilitation was protracted, and during this period he had to stop cartooning. Also, a congenital condition had worsened Drake's prognosis: unlike almost all children, the bones on the top of Drake's skull had never met and locked together, and he was left with an unusual calcium ridge on the top of his head. As a result, when his injuries were examined and photographed at Norwalk Hospital, a hospital staffer concluded the worst: "He took pictures of my head and said, 'This man's skull is cracked from front to rear—he'll never make the night.' They thought I was going to die."

During Drake's first few days in the hospital, doctors and nurses told him that Raymond lay in a coma. Eventually, he learned the truth: Raymond had been killed instantly upon impact. The Corvette's wraparound windshield had shattered, one large shard of it entering Raymond's mouth and exiting the rear of his head.

Drake knew Raymond only as a colleague, not as a friend. They fraternized over work, and neither man discussed his personal life. So Drake could not have known of Raymond's troubled marriage (at the time, he was living apart from his wife); of his wife's refusal to grant him a divorce so he could marry his mistress (the Raymonds were Catholic); or of the insurance policy that would grant Raymond's wife $500,000 (and with the policy's double-indemnity clause, potentially $1 million). Drake knew of these only later. While Drake was in the hospital, Raymond's widow angrily refused even to visit Drake, having concluded erroneously that Drake had been supportive of Raymond's extramarital affair and his wishes to divorce his wife, "But I wasn't on anybody's side!" he said. "I didn't even know about the affair."

While recuperating at his home, an adjuster from Raymond's insurance company paid Drake an impromptu visit. "He tried to get me to admit that Alex had committed suicide so they wouldn't have to pay the double indemnity," Drake said. "My shoulder was broken, my arm was in a sling, and I threw the guy out of my house." Drake never heard from Raymond's widow.

About five years after the accident, Drake drove by the spot where they crashed, and he stopped to take a look. He noted that the tree the Corvette hit had grown taller, and that fragments of the car's plastic body remained embedded in it. He thought to himself that a great artist had died here, and he was glad that he had not died, too.

A comic book was made of this event by controversial creator Dave Sim:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsal...e-cursed-graphic-masterpiece/?sh=2414e5074840

1666206417798.png

https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/18/geor...ng-into-planes-propeller-at-airport-17589480/

He won't do that again...

It reminds me of The Cone, an H. G. Wells story, which used to turn up on the A-level syllabus*, a few years back.

It's not very well-written, to be honest; a run-of-the-mill tale of suspected marital infidelity.

The finale, at an iron-furnace, is unforgettable, however!

*I first read it about the age of ten! :omg:

The TV series of Gaiman's American Gods (but not the book) had a town based around an amunition factory where someone would 'accidentally' fall iinto the VAT of molten metal every so often as an unofficial sacrifice.

Apparently based on actual industry where the bean counters decide that it's cheaper to pay out on insurance for deaths every once in a while than to actually install better safety features.

The TV series of Gaiman's American Gods (but not the book) had a town based around an amunition factory where someone would 'accidentally' fall iinto the VAT of molten metal every so often as an unofficial sacrifice.

Apparently based on actual industry where the bean counters decide that it's cheaper to pay out on insurance for deaths every once in a while than to actually install better safety features.
Talking of people falling into vats of liquid metal....

How often have you seen it happen in the movies ? The victim always simply screams and slides elegantly under the red hot liquid, usually with one upraised arm sinking slowly then disappearing.

Apparently that's not what happens in reality. The human body is mostly composed of water, of course, and the heat of the metal causes the water to boil off very rapidly. Those who have seen it happen describe an effect similar to putting a freshly cut batch of raw potato chips into hot oil. The surface turns into a seething froth and the effect is so vigorous that the metal can even slop over the edges of of the vat.

Think of that next time you're in a fish and chippery.

I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly how this happened. There's a video at the link below, but it doesn't help to illustrate the situation causing the death.
Man dies in freak accident with ticket machine at midtown parking garage

A man has died after police say he was pinned in a parking garage in midtown Atlanta.

Police received a call just before midnight to a parking garage off Peachtree Street near Colony Square about an auto accident.

When police arrived, they found a man inside of a pickup truck at the ticket machine. He died on the scene. ...

Police said the victim drove past the ticket machine. Police said he forgot to put his truck in park as he opened his door to reach back and pay for his ticket.

His arm became stuck. Police said the man died after he was pinned between the truck’s door and the ticket booth. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...ed-by-his-vehicle/IVI7UZH5BJEGPKFXBKGVMVCVQQ/

I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly how this happened. There's a video at the link below, but it doesn't help to illustrate the situation causing the death.

FULL STORY: https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...ed-by-his-vehicle/IVI7UZH5BJEGPKFXBKGVMVCVQQ/
I would think that with his arm stuck out and reaching backward to machine, then the truck moves forward, he was probably pulled out and in between both truck and machine. There is not much space when you are driving up beside machine. Also, who knows what damage was done just having his arm caught and pulled further back, since he was already reaching backward trying to access machine.

In reference to people being caught between their vehicle and another immovable object, several years ago a woman was killed backing out of a parking space in the covered parking lot at University Hospital in London Ontario.

I have parked there myself and so could entirely understand how it happened. The parking area has traffic travelling one way (spiral) which goes to upper levels to park and then the opposite to go to lower levels to exit. I can't entirely figure out the actual structuring of the parking lot, but it works.

There may be about 4 spaces and then a large cement pillar divide (probably load bearing) all throughout. It is difficult to see cars coming around if you happen to park in the space next to the pillar and are trying to back out. You can only back out because the direction of traffic does not allow you to back into space.

So the woman was backing out and opened her door to look behind. She smacked her head against the pillar. I imagine she had other issues on her mind (no terrible pun intended) and didn't even really see that the pillar was right there. I cringe at the thought of that. If for some reason I have to park at that hospital, I will go around and around just to find a spot that is not next to a pillar. I was aware of this possibility even before this accident happened.

In reference to people being caught between their vehicle and another immovable object, several years ago a woman was killed backing out of a parking space in the covered parking lot at University Hospital in London Ontario.

I have parked there myself and so could entirely understand how it happened. The parking area has traffic travelling one way (spiral) which goes to upper levels to park and then the opposite to go to lower levels to exit. I can't entirely figure out the actual structuring of the parking lot, but it works.

There may be about 4 spaces and then a large cement pillar divide (probably load bearing) all throughout. It is difficult to see cars coming around if you happen to park in the space next to the pillar and are trying to back out. You can only back out because the direction of traffic does not allow you to back into space.

So the woman was backing out and opened her door to look behind. She smacked her head against the pillar. I imagine she had other issues on her mind (no terrible pun intended) and didn't even really see that the pillar was right there. I cringe at the thought of that. If for some reason I have to park at that hospital, I will go around and around just to find a spot that is not next to a pillar. I was aware of this possibility even before this accident happened.
Or, just use your mirrors when reversing.

Most American are autos and creep if in drive, that creep
is slow but relentless once trapped if you cant reach the
controls it will keep putting pressure on till it runs out
of fuel or gets switched off.

If I ever have to reverse out into a road which is likely to have vehicles on that I cannot see I just very gradually reverse out and expect that the drivers of other vehicles are actually looking at what is going on in front of them and brake to allow me out of an obviously awkward spot.
It's just courtesy. If I see someone with a difficult manoeuvre to perform, or obviously in a tight space or awkward spot, or in a vehicle that might be too large or too long etc etc I always stop and give them plenty of room to do what they need to do.
I know there are a lot of awkward buggers out there that will just angrily lean on the horn as they drive past, which helps nobody.

I've never even used a sat-nav. Old school me - an old black and white A-Z that says ''M42 under construction. Estimated completion Nov 1974'' is all I have.
I've only ever relied on a sat nav once which resulted in a 45 minute drive taking 90 minutes. A quick look on a map is all I've ever needed. Don't even rely on road signs which can take you a really convoluted route sometimes. I wonder how many road deaths have been caused by constant reference to such by a driver? Should be recorded as death by sat nav.

Back