• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

Most American are autos and creep if in drive, that creep
is slow but relentless once trapped if you cant reach the
controls it will keep putting pressure on till it runs out
of fuel or gets switched off.
There are a few You Tube vids of people getting out of cars with the engine running and somehow the auto box being knocked into reverse, causing the empty car to fly round in circles. How people have not been killed I don't know.

My use of sat-navs is really quite limited.
Seeing as I started driving back in the days when you had to have a bloke waving a red flag walking in front of you, I learnt the routes to get from place to place by using maps and the London A to Z while doing lots of different driving jobs, so these days if I need to drive from here to, say, Portsmouth, what I do is I go and get in my car.....and drive to Portsmouth. No map required, I know the way. And if there happens to be roadworks or an accident causing a road closure, I know a number of different routes too.
It's finding an address once you arrive within a couple of miles of your destination in which the sat-nav is most useful - none of that leaning out the window and shouting to some poor sod "....'Scuse me mate........where's Ponsonbury Avenue???......".
And if I'm heading somewhere that I'm totally unfamiliar with (it does happen occasionally) I'll have a look at a map online to work out which of the major roads I need to take to get to my destination.
As my old dad used to say "you only ever have to remember the places you need to turn", so in effect that means remembering what junction you need to leave the motorway at, and which exit off of the next roundabout you need.

I've only ever relied on a sat nav once which resulted in a 45 minute drive taking 90 minutes. A quick look on a map is all I've ever needed. Don't even rely on road signs which can take you a really convoluted route sometimes. I wonder how many road deaths have been caused by constant reference to such by a driver? Should be recorded as death by sat nav.
I once went to Leeds with an out of date, black and white A-Z. That was interesting.
if I need to drive from here to, say, Portsmouth, what I do is I go and get in my car.....and drive to Portsmouth. No map required, I know the way. And if there happens to be roadworks or an accident causing a road closure, I know a number of different routes too.
It's finding an address once you arrive within a couple of miles of your destination in which the sat-nav is most useful -
I was about to say the same thing. I would just get in and drive until I get in the vicinity of where I'm headed.
I'm a bit out of practice now admittedly, and some new roads/widenings have been built since I was driving around the country, but I'd still do the same.

I know people who have passed their driving test within the past 10 years who use a sat-nav for every single journey, regardless of whether they know the way or not. It's like an automatic thing for them when they get in their car.
Get in, seat belt on, lights, heater, sat-nav.....

I know people who have passed their driving test within the past 10 years who use a sat-nav for every single journey, regardless of whether they know the way or not. It's like an automatic thing for them when they get in their car.
That's the danger of course. I've lost count of the number of times I've asked 20 /30 somethings where they've been with the response "oh we just followed the sat nav to get there". No idea where they were. Scary. Wasn't there a plan to include sat nav usage in the driving test?

And doing food delivery

"...I am a LOCAL person, I DO NOT NEED SATNAV and can you tell me where you are? I need to know where you are in order to deliver your food."

(Manager took my side on that case...)
They probably can't give you directions because, oh yeah, they only use satnav and can't even tell you what side of the planet they're on.:rolleyes:

Didn't spot my typo above until I came back to read the thread.

You would never guess I work in finance.
I couldn't balance my cheque book until I worked in finance lol. I had a very patient budget officer who would help me out with double entry corrections to errors when I posted something into wrong expense column. I did accounts payable for about 11 years.

I'm a firm believer that you can't really get lost in the UK if you have a reasonable grasp of its geography. As long as you have a general idea of where major towns are located, road signs will get you to the town you are aiming for. Of course you can be locally lost, as in looking for a specific address, but that's not what I'd call being properly lost, more temporarily misplaced.

I use Sat-Nav a lot now, not for directions though, but for traffic information. I specifically use Waze for its crowdsourced information.

The last time I used Sat-Nav for directions was to take me to Disneyland Paris last December. It proved invaluable in getting us to the tunnel terminals and the last leg of the journey in Paris.

Ironically (and tragically) the plot of the movie Rust features an accidental killing.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...fired-prop-gun-woman-death-movie-rust-sheriff

Alec Baldwin Sues To 'Clear His Name' In 'Rust' Movie Set Killing

Saying he wants to clear his name, Alec Baldwin on Friday sued people involved in handling and supplying the loaded gun that he was using when it fired, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins during a 2021 filming accident in New Mexico.

Baldwin filed a cross-complaint in Superior Court in Los Angeles alleging negligence against some of the people sued by a script supervisor, Mamie Mitchell. Among other things, it seeks a share of any damages that Mitchell may win from the people Baldwin names and asks that they pay for any damages assessed against him.

Baldwin’s lawsuit alleges negligence by armorer Hannah Guttierez-Reed; prop master Sarah Zachry; first assistant director and safety coordinator David Halls, who handed Baldwin the gun; ammunition supplier Seth Kenney and his company, PDQ Arm & Prop, which also supplied prop weapons for the production.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alec-baldwin-lawsuit-rust_n_636f450ce4b002e88211f104

maximus otter

Baldwin is now trying to do 'damage limitation' - damage to his reputation, that is.
Ultimately, he is responsible for being the one who fired and aimed the gun and for being the producer.

Baldwin is now trying to do 'damage limitation' - damage to his reputation, that is.
Ultimately, he is responsible for being the one who fired and aimed the gun and for being the producer.
I'm not sure I agree that is necessarily the case. You have to trust the techies. I'm not saying where the blame lies, of course, I don't know, but if someone adequately qualified and of previous good behaviour cocks up, how could that be anticipated?

And I don't like Baldwin at all, but that is probably due to watching Team America - World Police too many times.

Hmmm, any interesting Cathedrals in the area?

A potentially hazardous substance was found on a body discovered in a suburban Greater Manchester street, police have said.

The body was found on Kilburn Drive in the Shevington area, near Wigan, at about 19:00 BST on Thursday. Police said they were working to identify the body and appealed for information. Cordons were put in place and a forensic team has been on the scene since the body was discovered.

A police spokesman said the scene had been contained and it was believed there was no wider risk to the surrounding area

"Police believe there are potentially hazardous substances on the body and anyone who has had direct contact with the body should speak to officers or seek medical advice immediately," the spokesman added. "Officers are out speaking to residents and are highly visible in the area."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-63744748

Probably deliberately vague so as not to alarm people if it's something really dangerously toxic, but also to not unnecessarily alarm people if it's something fairly mundane.
I mean, Lemon Juice can be 'potentially hazardous', particularly if you rub it from your hand into your eye.

Hmmm, any interesting Cathedrals in the area?

A potentially hazardous substance was found on a body discovered in a suburban Greater Manchester street, police have said.

The body was found on Kilburn Drive in the Shevington area, near Wigan, at about 19:00 BST on Thursday. Police said they were working to identify the body and appealed for information. Cordons were put in place and a forensic team has been on the scene since the body was discovered.

A police spokesman said the scene had been contained and it was believed there was no wider risk to the surrounding area

"Police believe there are potentially hazardous substances on the body and anyone who has had direct contact with the body should speak to officers or seek medical advice immediately," the spokesman added. "Officers are out speaking to residents and are highly visible in the area."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-63744748
Blimey Ive driven past Kilburn Drive many times - it's in a fairly upmarket estate in a really nice neck of the woods. I wonder if the guy ended it all by swallowing or inhaling something.

Local news reports have said that the gender of the body could not be determined! I assume acid was involved, though acid-bath murderers do not stop at the half-way point and dump their victims in a street. All very curious! :thought:

It was acid and he was shot.

A man whose body was found dumped on a street covered in "potentially hazardous" substances had been shot and attacked with acid, police said.

Liam Smith's body was discovered on Kilburn Drive in Shevington, Wigan, at about 19:00 BST on Thursday. Greater Manchester Police (GMP) has launched a murder inquiry into the "unique and shocking circumstances".

Following Mr Smith's death, his family paid tribute to the 38-year-old as "the life and soul of the party".

His body was found on a patch of rough ground between houses which leads to a dirt track and open fields.

GMP said: "Detectives are working tirelessly to establish the exact details of this murder, which took place in unique and shocking circumstances on a quiet residential street."

The hazardous substances were not believed to pose any further harm or risk to the public and have been contained, it added.

Det Ch Insp Gina Brennand said the "shocking murder of a much-loved family man" was the first fatal shooting in the area for more than two years.

She urged anyone who had seen "anything unusual or out of the ordinary near to the victim's home" on Thursday to contact the police.

"We are determined to recover the weapon and find Liam's killer," she said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-63772618

Shot and dowsed in acid by all accounts.

Back