Strange Deaths

Atch_

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
A woman I work with's husband was a friend of the guy killed by the falling car on the beach, so now, by just 4 degrees of separation, you are all linked to him too. Small world and all that. Strangely, though, she only found out about it this morning!?!?!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The washing machine story sounds unlikely to me because-

1. The man couldn't kick the 'on' switch with BOTH his feet in the washer. If only one foot was in it, and it came on, he'd be unlikely to put the other foot in.
2. The bleach bottle had no top on- most unusual.
3. The 'off' switch should have been as accessible as the 'on' so he'd have been able to find it while the machine was going slowly. Well, before being blinded maybe.
4. The baking soda was also open, it seems.
5. The exact sequence of events is described when there were no witnesses. Very fine detective work!
6. Most washing machines won't go with the door open.

Glad the dog survived though. :)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Thanks, Schnor!

The BBC give more details than the Guardian story. I was
very glad to learn that he had put on his seat-belt! :eek:

A

Anonymous

escargot said:
The washing machine story sounds unlikely
It's obviously bollocks, I'd say based on a true story (which I've heard before) but embellished to hell. Great read though :D

Regarding the decapitation, this was a method of suicide used on the Marconi thread (dodgy deaths in the early 80s linked to Marconi employees). I remember arguing that it was entirely feasible for someone to come up with such a method so I feel slightly vindicated...

A

Anonymous

I read the Guardian story about the B&Q decapitation - according to that, the coroner remarked that it appeared that the victim had found out about the method through an internet site that described it, and expressed his horror that such a site existed. Wonder if the victim had been looking on the FT site?

TheOriginalCujo

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
escargot said:
6. Most washing machines won't go with the door open.

Glad the dog survived though. :)
I would guess that it was one of those american top-loader things. They're similar to the old twin-tub washing maching which I remember from my youth. Those will run with the top up.

Cujo

MrRING

Antediluvian
Reaction score
THis has to be the most fascinating unusual death case I've heard... the body found by the Six Million Dollar Man set when they thought it was a prop! And it wasn't, it was a dead body from 1911!

from Snopes: In
December 1976 a Universal Studios camera crew arrived at the Nu-Pike Amusement Park in Long Beach, California, to film an episode of the television action show, the Six Million Dollar Man. In preparing the set in a corner of the funhouse, a worker moved the "hanging man," causing one of this prop's arms to come off. Inside it was human bone. This was no mere prop; this was a dead guy!

The body was that of Elmer McCurdy, a young man who in 1911 robbed a train of $46 and two jugs of whiskey in Oklahoma. He announced to the posse in pursuit of him that he would not be taken alive. He was proved right -- they killed him in the ensuing shoot-out.

McCurdy began his career as a sideshow attraction right after his embalming...

for the reast of the story and how he got there, check out the article here:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/mccurdy.htm

edited to say that there is a whole book written on the guy if my link works:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/046508348X/102-5104410-0364101?vi=reviews

A

Anonymous

Hot off the press today....

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- A surgical resident was killed when an elevator malfunctioned and decapitated him, authorities said.

Hitoshi Nikaidoh, 35, was stepping into a second-floor elevator at Christus St. Joseph Hospital Saturday morning when the doors suddenly closed, pinning his shoulders. His head was severed when the elevator car moved upward.

A hospital employee witnessed the accident and spent about 20 minutes trapped inside the elevator before firefighters rescued her. She was treated for shock in the hospital's emergency room, hospital spokeswoman India Chumney Hancock said.

Harris County medical examiners were conducting an inquiry into the accident. Police said earlier that maintenance crews had worked on the elevators during the week.

The entire elevator bank was pulled from operation until the investigation is complete.

Nikaidoh graduated in 2003 from the University of Texas-Houston Medical School.

Elevators and escalators kill about 30 and injure about 17,100 people each year in the United States, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Southwest/08/18/doctor.decapitated.ap/index.html

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A hospital employee witnessed the accident and spent about 20 minutes trapped inside the elevator before firefighters rescued her
- presumably with just the head :eek:

What a terrible thing to happen.
I work in places where lifts are used all the time, for going up just one or two floors with trolleys, and I never travel in them myself as they jam and go wrong twenty times a day. Means I have to run up & down stairs a lot but I feel safer!

Onix_Martinez

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
escargot said:
-took me a while to work that one out. If you keep in mind that the section of bedpost was no longer attached to the bed, makes it easier to visualise. A little. :confused:

The Minefield of Home-Made Masturbatory Machines- don't try this at home, kids!

:rolleyes:
Did he died when he breated his own flatulence? It would be the first time it happens IIRC. A guy was in a very small room, probably a security guard, and he seemed to be rather gassy that nigth, to the point that he infested the air in the room with methane and killed himself. A crude variation on the "Dutch Oven" perhaps.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
There's a story about someone in a closed room farting himself to death on the Darwin Awards site. It's also featured in FT at least once.

How dangerous are nighttime dogfarts?
To me, I mean, not the dog. The dog seems to relish them. :cross eye

edit- DO NOT Google the word 'dogfart' :eek:

SoundDust

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
almost immediatly . . . one quesiton that springs to mind is "Why?" . . . maybe I don't want to look and find out . .

. . hands up anyone who goes to find out

SoundDust

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
why does Dogfart bring up those results then?
(says jima, who spent part of last night discussing with person on the net if there was a band called f**k c**t :D couldnt find one )

NilesCalder

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
jima said:
(says jima, who spent part of last night discussing with person on the net if there was a band called f**k c**t :D couldnt find one )
I'd post you a link Jima, but then I'd have to ban myself :rolleyes:

SoundDust

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
ah well, probably best not to know anyway:rolleyes:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
No idea- and I really don't WANT to know! :D

I thought it was just the vulgar name for canine flatulence....
.... glad I didn't do an image search!;)

I live a sheltered life...............

Last edited:

filcee

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I'm guessing dogfart isn't the sort of thing I should be googling on the company web connection?

A

Anonymous

Filcee said:
I'm guessing dogfart isn't the sort of thing I should be googling on the company web connection?
Go for it Filcee. Who needs a job anyway?

Anyway, to drag this conversation kicking and screaming back OT the following in also from the mildly amusing area,

Several years ago, in a west Texas town, employees in a medium-sized warehouse noticed the smell of a gas leak.

Sensibly, management evacuated the building, extinguishing all potential sources of ignition - lights, power, etc.

After the building had been evacuated, two technicians from the gas company were dispatched. Upon entering the building, they found they had difficulty navigating in the dark.

To their frustration, none of the lights worked. Witnesses later described the vision of one of the technicians reaching into his pocket, and retrieving an object that resembled a lighter.

Upon operation of the lighter-like object, the gas in the warehouse exploded, sending pieces of it up to three miles away.

Nothing was found of the technicians, but the lighter was virtually untouched by the explosion.

The technician that was suspected of causing the explosion had never been thought of as "bright" by his peers. (He was probably very bright for the last few seconds of his life !)

The late Pete Younger

Venerable and Missed
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Man dies while laughing in sleep
From correspondents in Bangkok, Thailand
August 21, 2003
AN ice-cream truck driver in Thailand died while laughing in his sleep, a newspaper reported today.

Damnoen Saen-um, 52, laughed for about two minutes on Wednesday and then stopped breathing, The Nation said, quoting officials.

The newspaper said Damnoen's wife tried to wake him up but he kept laughing. An autopsy suggested that he might have had a heart attack, the newspaper quoted a doctor as saying.

"I have never seen a case like this. But it is possible that a person could have heart seizure while laughing or crying too hard in their sleep," said Dr. Somchai Chakrabhand, deputy director-general of the Mental Health Department, according to The Nation.

The incident occurred in Phrae province, 490km north of Bangkok.

A

Anonymous

Edit: post in response to washer story removed because of anticlimatic aspect

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
I ran this one past a friend and he came up with the following:

"It looks like Dogfart was the nickname of someone on Usenet back in 1997 who started posting interracial pictures, according to Google Groups. He might have got his name from a Beavis and Butthead script."

Marie