Strange Deaths

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
11,464
Likes
12,378
Points
309
Location
Out of Bounds
It's been decades since I last heard of a bowling alley pinsetter injury or death ...

Colorado bowling alley owner dies, got stuck in pinsetter
The owner of a southern Colorado bowling alley has died after getting stuck in a pin setting machine.

Police in Florence, about 100 miles (160 kilometers) southwest of Denver, say they responded to a call early Sunday afternoon and found 65-year-old Ector Rodriguez of Penrose stuck in the machine at Fremont Lanes. He was unconscious and not breathing.

Emergency responders determined he had died.

Florence Police Chief Michael De Laurentis says no foul play is suspected and the death is believed to be an accident.
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/7acf3923ca204569...ling-alley-owner-dies,-got-stuck-in-pinsetter
 
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Messages
47,870
Likes
19,195
Points
284
Location
Eblana
A nasaty death indeed.

A pedestrian has died after being hit by a window pane which fell 250 feet from a luxury apartment overlooking the Thames.

The man, who has not been named, died instantly when the glass smashed on the ground outside the Corniche, a block of new multimillion pound flats on the Albert Embankment in Vauxhall, south London.

St James, the developer, which is part of the Berkeley Group, said it was urgently investigating the incident which happened just after 10.30am today.

It markets the site as an “exclusive address” of two, three and four-bedroom apartments and penthouses with panoramic views over the Houses of Parliament. Apartments cost between £2.7 million and £6.25 million.

Today the area surrounding the block was cordoned off to the public and officers could be seen checking the windowpanes in the rest of the building.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-of-luxury-apartments-by-the-thames-qccvwxzww
 
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Messages
47,870
Likes
19,195
Points
284
Location
Eblana
I guess being shot dead because someone thought you were a boar qualifies as a strange death. Could have gone in Ridiculous accidents as well.

A 34-year old British cyclist has been shot dead in what appears to have been a hunting accident in the French Alps, police have confirmed.

Marc Sutton, from Caerphilly in Wales, was killed by a bullet while cycling down a path through a wooded area near the ski resort of Les Gets, in the southeastern Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes region, The Times reports. Sutton, who ran a nearby vegetarian restaurant, is believed to have died instantly.

The bullet is thought to have been fired by a 22-year-old gunman, who has a firearms licence and was with a hunting group when the incident occurred, at about 6pm on Saturday. It is unclear how many other hunters were present, with estimates ranging from seven to 20.

The gunman was admitted to hospital for shock and therefore “could not be taken into custody while he is investigated on suspicion of aggravated manslaughter”, says Al Jazeera.

Police said the gunman might have mistaken Sutton for a deer or a boar.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/97103/brit...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter
 
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Messages
47,870
Likes
19,195
Points
284
Location
Eblana
Squirrel brains will kill you!

A 61-year-old hunter died from complications of a brain disease he got from eating squirrel brains, according to a paper published in October. When the man's brain was scanned, doctors diagnosed him with a variant of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, aka Mad Cow disease.

In 1997 the New York Times published an article titled, "Kentucky Doctors Warn Against a Regional Dish: Squirrels' Brains."

"Squirrels are a popular food in rural Kentucky, where people eat either the meat or the brains but generally not both, Dr. Weisman said. Families tend to prefer one or the other depending on tradition. Those who eat only squirrel meat chop up the carcass and prepare it with vegetables in a stew called burgoo. Squirrels recently killed on the road are often thrown into the pot. ..."

https://boingboing.net/2018/10/18/man-eats-squirrel-brains-gets.html
 

Tribble

Furry Idiot
Joined
Apr 21, 2015
Messages
1,917
Likes
3,492
Points
154

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Joined
Mar 11, 2008
Messages
5,998
Likes
6,350
Points
294

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Joined
Aug 24, 2001
Messages
24,946
Likes
19,785
Points
309
Location
HM The Tower of London
Skydiving instructor commits suicide by intentionally disconnecting himself from the student he was tandem jumping with.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/experien...easing-himself-from-student-midair-police-say
That must have been traumatic for the student.

Yesterday I was reading in the Times about a holidaymaker who'd tried kitesurfing or something like that with an instructor. The harness came unclipped and the tourist was left clinging to the instructor's legs and whatever up in the air.

All ended well, with exciting holiday snaps to prove it.
 

Tribble

Furry Idiot
Joined
Apr 21, 2015
Messages
1,917
Likes
3,492
Points
154

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
3,915
Likes
4,403
Points
159
Location
Hobbs End
He does well to hang on for the duration, sometimes with one hand on the rail & one on the pilots leg. I'm not sure I could support my own weight like that for so long. A definite doff of the cap.
 

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Joined
Aug 3, 2003
Messages
15,586
Likes
6,491
Points
284
A couple in here I hadn't heard of:


7.:40for the worst stage dive, suprisingly in Leeds! Singer Patrick Sherry fluffed a stage dive and landed head first on the floor mortally injuring himself.

The one after that is the now infamous Spanish zoophile who got crushed by the rock while performing with a chicken.
 
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Messages
47,870
Likes
19,195
Points
284
Location
Eblana
A terrible mix up.

A man died after swallowing a glass of pipe cleaning fluid that he mistook for Ribena after a night out drinking.

Langdon Doidge, 59, began vomiting blood and called 999 after drinking the beer line cleaner, which he kept in the fridge at his Cardiff Bay flat. The purple liquid was in a Robinson's squash bottle next to the Ribena, coroner Sarah Richards was told.Mr Doidge died of multiple organ failure 19 days later. The coroner concluded his death was misadventure.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-46481577
 

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Joined
Dec 22, 2005
Messages
998
Likes
1,766
Points
149

Tribble

Furry Idiot
Joined
Apr 21, 2015
Messages
1,917
Likes
3,492
Points
154
'Bikini hiker' dies from exposure after falling down a gorge in Taiwan. Very sad story, and it isn't clear from this report what she was wearing, but if she was in her bikini rather than more traditional kit, you can't help but feel this may have contributed to her death from hypothermia.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...han-national-park-nantou-county-a8739081.html
She seemed quite experienced (sat phone, etc.) - I wouldn't be surprised if she had bad-weather clothing with her but lost the pack in the fall and couldn't reach it.
 

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Joined
Aug 24, 2001
Messages
24,946
Likes
19,785
Points
309
Location
HM The Tower of London
'Bikini hiker' dies from exposure after falling down a gorge in Taiwan. Very sad story, and it isn't clear from this report what she was wearing, but if she was in her bikini rather than more traditional kit, you can't help but feel this may have contributed to her death from hypothermia.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...han-national-park-nantou-county-a8739081.html
She was an experienced and always well-prepared and equipped hiker. The 'Bikini Hiker' nickname comes from her gimmick of posing in prettier clothing for summit photos.
 
Top