• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

When I was in NY in 2001 I bought a jar of pickled gurkins as one of the few items in the store that I could recognise.

They tasted disgusting and when I checked the label, it listed alum as an ingredient. :O

When I was in NY in 2001 I bought a jar of pickled gurkins as one of the few items in the store that I could recognise.

They tasted disgusting and when I checked the label, it listed alum as an ingredient. :O
Maybe that's what they used to dry out the gherkins before pickling? Safer to use standard salt, I think.

Truly Horrific.

A pregnant woman has been killed by dogs in a forest in northern France where a hunt with hounds was taking place, investigators have said.

The body of Elisa Pilarski, 29, who was walking her own dogs, was discovered near the town of Villers-Cotterêts.She died after "several dog bites to the upper and lower limbs and the head," prosecutor Frédéric Trinh said. Police said they were carrying out tests on 93 dogs and that they had opened a manslaughter investigation. The tests, comparing fresh DNA samples with those taken from Ms Pilarski, will try to establish which animals were responsible for the attack and who they belonged to. Five dogs belonging to Ms Pilarski, who was reportedly six months pregnant at the time of her death, were among those being tested.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50483602

Truly Horrific.

A pregnant woman has been killed by dogs in a forest in northern France where a hunt with hounds was taking place, investigators have said.

The body of Elisa Pilarski, 29, who was walking her own dogs, was discovered near the town of Villers-Cotterêts.She died after "several dog bites to the upper and lower limbs and the head," prosecutor Frédéric Trinh said. Police said they were carrying out tests on 93 dogs and that they had opened a manslaughter investigation. The tests, comparing fresh DNA samples with those taken from Ms Pilarski, will try to establish which animals were responsible for the attack and who they belonged to. Five dogs belonging to Ms Pilarski, who was reportedly six months pregnant at the time of her death, were among those being tested.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50483602

I only know what's been on the news like everyone else, but the feeling I get is that the woman's own dogs turned on her.

When I kept dogs and walked them with other dog owners we'd see people walking three or more dogs. We'd murmur disapprovingly that 'three dogs is a pack'. Five dogs are certainly too many to walk safely, in my unqualified but experienced opinion.

I want to say again, many thanks to feinman for finding the story about the electrocution by suicide, certainly very sad.

I am now starting to read the entire court decision, which, of course will take awhile, since it is very long.

Where's that post? I'd like to read it, can't find it!

The wind / whirlwind shown in the video is a sufficient - and sufficiently scary - disturbance to cause a driver to panic, lose control, and wreck

Thanks for the reply EG. I am not a driver myself so can't comment - just by looking at that, it did not look strong enough to cause people deaths but if you say that this could cause some major attention swerves, I will go along with your objections - thanks again

Two Indian children have died this month from burns received when they fell into large pots of hot stew ...
In separate cases, two boys in India fell into big pots of hot stew. Both died of burns

A three-year-old boy has become the second child to die of burn injuries in southern India this month after both fell into large cooking pots of hot stew in separate, unrelated incidents.

The toddler was playing when he fell into a pot of sambhar at a party thrown by his family to celebrate the opening of a shop on November 18 in Shabad, Telangana state, said G. Narsaiah, an inspector with Shabad police.

Sambhar is a spicy lentil-based vegetable stew that is popular in southern India.
The boy accidentally moved the lid covering the pot and fell in, Narsaiah said. He was rushed to hospital but died of burn injuries.

His father has filed a complaint with police but no arrests have been made.

Second death

Two people, including a school principal, are being investigated by police for negligence resulting in death over a similar, but unconnected, incident on November 13.

In that case, a six-year-old kindergarten student named Behlapuram Reddy died after falling into a pot of sambhar at a school in Panyam village, in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh state.

Reddy rushed with his classmates into the dining hall at the start of the school's lunch hour, said R.M. Basha, assistant sub-inspector of Panyam police.

"When the boy ran in, he fell into the sambhar bowl. No school authorities were available. Some local workers pulled him out and took him to the hospital," Basha said.

In India, school lunches are cooked in large pots that can be up to four feet (1.2 meters) in diameter.

The child was treated for burns at the local hospital but succumbed to his injuries last week.
Reddy's father registered a case at the Panyam police station later that evening and police are now investigating. The two people under investigation were being held on judicial remand. ...
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/22/asia/india-boys-died-stew-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

The only known 'suicide by library paste' case anywhere in the world. It's still discussed in medical & psychology circles to this day.

The clipping doesn't mention suicide, just that the man was starved - many people (eg me) have tried a mouthful of flour and water paste when peckish making paper mache.

The clipping doesn't mention suicide, just that the man was starved - many people (eg me) have tried a mouthful of flour and water paste when peckish making paper mache.

I know that. It was just a flippant remark reflecting the bizarreness of the tombstone. A poor attempt at what we in the trade know as 'humour', intending to provoke some 'mirth'. For the record, there was no element of truth in that post.

And wft is library paste anyway? I assume it was some sort of glue for attaching labels to books. Flour & water it may've been, but more likely to have been made from boiled down horses hooves, in which case eating it would be even more bizarre but probably more harmful.

One of Mother Teresa's former assistants dies... in bar brawl.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/25/mother-teresas-former-assistant-killed-in-bar-brawl

Follow up:

A martial arts expert has been found guilty of murdering a charity worker after a row in a pub.

Mark Bloomfield, 54, who had previously worked as a special assistant to Mother Theresa, was found injured outside the Full Moon pub on High Street in Swansea in July. He died two days later. Colin Payne, 61 and from the city, had admitted manslaughter claiming self defence but was found guilty of murder by a jury at Swansea Crown Court. He will be sentenced on Thursday and was told to expect a life sentence.

The court heard Payne previously admitted perverting the course of justice by watching CCTV footage of the murder from behind the bar, ripping the computer out and throwing it over the back wall of the pub - though police were able to retrieve it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-50659398

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 37, Number 234, 23 May 1910

LAH19100523.1.1-2957-3773-710-1126-355w.jpg

A tragedy at any time of the year but even more so just now. People drowning whilst helping someone in difficulties often happen in open water but it's rare in a swimming pool. Something odd here.

Three members of the same family are reported to have drowned at a holiday resort on the Costa del Sol in Spain.

They were found unresponsive in a swimming pool on Christmas Eve at Club La Costa World, near Fuengirola, a statement from the owners said. It has been reported that a nine-year-old British girl got into difficulties in the water and her brother and father attempted to rescue her. The Foreign Office said it was assisting a British woman in Spain. It is understood the father and daughter were both British while the brother was American.

Hotel firm CLC World Resorts said first response teams and emergency services attended and administered first aid. A local journalist, Fernando Torres, told the BBC it was a shocking scene.

"The resort workers heard the screaming and they tried to do CPR (resuscitation) as well, but they couldn't help them. Then the emergency doctors came and they tried for 30-35 minutes, but they couldn't revive them."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50907667

Back