Strange Deaths

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
One of Mother Teresa's former assistants dies... in bar brawl.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/25/mother-teresas-former-assistant-killed-in-bar-brawl
Follow up:

A martial arts expert has been found guilty of murdering a charity worker after a row in a pub.

Mark Bloomfield, 54, who had previously worked as a special assistant to Mother Theresa, was found injured outside the Full Moon pub on High Street in Swansea in July. He died two days later. Colin Payne, 61 and from the city, had admitted manslaughter claiming self defence but was found guilty of murder by a jury at Swansea Crown Court. He will be sentenced on Thursday and was told to expect a life sentence.

The court heard Payne previously admitted perverting the course of justice by watching CCTV footage of the murder from behind the bar, ripping the computer out and throwing it over the back wall of the pub - though police were able to retrieve it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-50659398

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A tragedy at any time of the year but even more so just now. People drowning whilst helping someone in difficulties often happen in open water but it's rare in a swimming pool. Something odd here.

Three members of the same family are reported to have drowned at a holiday resort on the Costa del Sol in Spain.

They were found unresponsive in a swimming pool on Christmas Eve at Club La Costa World, near Fuengirola, a statement from the owners said. It has been reported that a nine-year-old British girl got into difficulties in the water and her brother and father attempted to rescue her. The Foreign Office said it was assisting a British woman in Spain. It is understood the father and daughter were both British while the brother was American.

Hotel firm CLC World Resorts said first response teams and emergency services attended and administered first aid. A local journalist, Fernando Torres, told the BBC it was a shocking scene.

"The resort workers heard the screaming and they tried to do CPR (resuscitation) as well, but they couldn't help them. Then the emergency doctors came and they tried for 30-35 minutes, but they couldn't revive them."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50907667

feinman

Only human skeptics will be probed..
Reaction score
Weird. Sad. Chlorine gas? Seems like autopsies could reveal something.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Very strange that no one was able to get them out of the pool as soon s they went in.

Did no one see them enter?

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
I saw a headline somewhere saying that the pump was being investigated. Maybe she got sucked in? Whatever happened, it is really horrible. :-(

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Usually the water is taken from the top surface (via the overflow at the side sO it will carry debris from the surface to the filter) and then returns the water to the pool via the bottom. Hence there should be no suction. However, I have seen one situation where the pump was running backwards and was indeed pulling in from the bottom of the pool.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
I found the story. It mentions a couple of incidents where that happened.

https://news.sky.com/story/costa-de...em-after-father-and-two-children-die-11894962

"Detectives have taken away the pump system, looking at motors to see if it was an electrical or mechanical failure, but at the moment there is no information on what could have caused this tragedy," he said.
Holiday operator CLC World Resorts and Hotels said management were assisting authorities "fully" with an investigation into the deaths.
Club La Costa World is near the town of Fuengirola, around 20 miles south of Malaga.
The holiday operator's statement said: "Management at Club La Costa World resort would like to offer its heartfelt condolences to the family affected by the loss of three family members on 24 December 2019.
"The Guardia Civil have carried out a full investigation which found no concerns relating to the pool in question or procedures in place, which leaves us to believe this was a tragic accident which has left everyone surrounding the incident in shock.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Wounder if they are thinking they were electrocuted.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
From what I've read, nobody saw what happened so the story about the girl getting into difficulties and the others trying to save her is speculation.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Update ... According to this more recent BBC item:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50912652

... the pool has been reopened with the approval of authorities after checking the state of the pool (presumably including its equipment).

This article mentions screaming having been heard prior to hotel staff pulling the 3 victims from the water and attempting CPR. Prior news items mentioned the 3 were found floating (and already unresponsive).

I'm still waiting to see / hear any particulars on what was known to have happened. The few on-scene witness comments I've seen don't offer any clues to what occurred before the unresponsive victims were pulled from the pool.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an update with more facts and an apparent explanation ... According to testimony from a family member none of the 3 victims knew how to swim.
Reports: UK family drowned in Spain didn’t know how to swim

Spanish news reports said Thursday that a member of the British family whose father and two children died in a swimming pool on Christmas Eve has told police that none of the three knew how to swim.

Spanish private news agency Europa Press and other media outlets said the family member testified before Civil Guard police.

No one was immediately available at the Civil Guard to comment on the report.

Earlier, Civil Guard union spokesman officer Paco González said autopsy results show the three members died by drowning. Investigators were now trying to determine why they drowned, he said.

Leading Spanish newspaper El País said the autopsy results also showed none of the three had bruises or suffered intoxication. ...

Europa Press said the girl got into difficulty first. Her brother and father then jumped into the pool and tried to save her but all three drowned.

González said the pool was around 2 meters (6.5 feet) deep in some parts. ...

González said police inspected the pool and found no irregularities.

“(Police officers) did not find any anomaly that could indicate a swirl or a suctioning current,” he said.

Media reports said police initially suspected a problem in the pool’s suction system.

González said police found the girl’s swimming cap in a grate of the suction system. He said the water in the pool was very cold and this may have been a factor in the drownings. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/55845f7dd3004f2e09b8722338d6ec39

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Cannot understand why, if you can't swim, that you'd even go near a pool. Possibly the girl fell in and the others panicked and jumped in to get her. Unfortunately one person drowning will pull the other down. During swim lessons, we were taught to find a towel or something the person could grab and to keep your distance for that reason.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Why on Earth did they all get in the pool at all if they didn't know how to swim?
According to the sketchy reports I've seen the little girl became distressed, and the man and boy attempted to help her.

Some accounts specifically allege the man and boy entered the water to aid the girl (implying she was the only one originally in the water).

My first guess is that the girl was allowed to enter the water (e.g., holding onto the pool's side), she slipped farther "out" into trouble, and the other two panicked and jumped in without trying a more reasonable approach to aiding the girl.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure if the girl got into difficulties first and the others died trying to rescue her?

If not, it's equally plausible to speculate that the father or teenage boy fell in or whatever and dragged the others down when they went to help.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure if the girl got into difficulties first and the others died trying to rescue her? ...
Multiple of the early news stories claimed this was the sequence of events alleged by (supposed) witnesses. However, I still haven't seen any account that gives specifics supporting this claim.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Wonder how deep it was, surprising how many drown when all they had to do was stand up.
when I was at school we were taken swimming once a week don't suppose they do that now,
what a shame when things like this happen when all they are doing is having a holiday.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
More details on the victims:
News report

Seems they were a deeply religious family of Nigerian origin. But I wouldn't read anything into that, it does sound like a freak accident, nothing more. The detail about the little girl's hat is so sad.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
They dont have a life guard there? I thought most resorts did

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
The (newly-widowed) wife and mother is refuting a daughter's claim that the 3 victims didn't know how to swim.

A mother whose husband and two children drowned in a resort swimming pool on the Costa del Sol on Christmas Eve has insisted all three knew how to swim.

Olubunmi Diya said "something was wrong with the pool" and the group were "dragged" in and unable to get out.

But hotel operator Club La Costa World said the pool was "working normally".

Earlier, Spanish media reported another of Mrs Diya's daughters told police the three who drowned could not swim - but Mrs Diya has refuted that.
SOURCE: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50929536

Reactions: RaM

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
It annoys me intensely when it's reported that some company is" cooperating fully with the authorities " after some incident of this nature. Standard bollocks speak in the UK as well. As if they had any choice not to cooperate. If they don't they're attempting a coverup. Old Man rant over.....

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
More details on the victims:
News report

Seems they were a deeply religious family of Nigerian origin. But I wouldn't read anything into that, it does sound like a freak accident, nothing more. The detail about the little girl's hat is so sad.
If the girls hat was in the pump then the circulation was in reverse.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score