Strange Deaths

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
As is often the case, this could go elsewhere (so feel free to move) but this is a strange death - and I'd suggest not going political on this!

Man dies after using a 'cure' for Covid-19 promoted by Donald Trump. Swallowing a chemical used as an aquarium cleaner? What could possibly go wrong there?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-covid-19-cure-malaria-cleaner-a9420176.html
They took several days of doses in one go and the stuff they used wasn't for medical application.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here's weird one.

A woman of 71 was found dead at home. The police are appealing for dashcam footage that might show a particular car.
Also, there was a post-mortem but further tests are needed.

Well, it sounded strange to me!

Murder update - family tribute and appeal for dashcam footage

The family of a woman found dead at her home in Tunstall Road, Knypersley, on Sunday, have paid tribute to her, as detectives appeal for dash cam footage of a car.
Detectives are appealing for dash cam footage from vehicles between Biddulph to Sneyd Green, via Bemersley Road and Norton, from midday until 3pm on Thursday 19 March. They are particularly interested in any footage of a green Honda Civic, with registration plate OK62 AMS.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Here's weird one.

A woman of 71 was found dead at home. The police are appealing for dashcam footage that might show a particular car.
Also, there was a post-mortem but further tests are needed.

Well, it sounded strange to me!

Murder update - family tribute and appeal for dashcam footage
That does sound a bit strange doesn't it!

Well, they know the registration plate of the car, so they must know who it belongs to... and they also have a photograph (in article) but all that really shows is a hand holding the steering wheel.

I guess they are hoping for dashcam footage to show clearly who the driver was.

As for the post mortem... does that mean they don't know what killed her? If further tests are required? Hmmm.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Man in coronavirus quarantine runs into street naked before biting woman to death

A man who was forced to quarantine in his home over fears of coronavirus tore his clothes off and raced into the street naked before biting a sleeping elderly woman to death, it is claimed.

The man, named only as Manikandan, had flown home to India from Sri Lanka when he was ordered by authorities and his family not to leave his house for 14 days.

According to reports in India, after a week of the self-isolation, the 35-year-old man began ripping his clothes off before he hurtled into the street in Tamil Nadu.

It is claimed he then began running through the adjacent streets where he spotted an elderly woman sleeping outside her own home.
Yahoo! News India says the man then raced up to her before clamping down on her neck and biting hard.

The woman woke up and screamed, sending her nude attacker fleeing - but not before a mob had been gathered in a bid to track him down.

Frantic relatives raced the woman to hospital last Friday, but tragically she deteriorated while receiving medical care and died.

The attacker was eventually caught by the enraged mob who handed him over to police.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/man-coronavirus-quarantine-runs-street-21773158

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Man in coronavirus quarantine runs into street naked before biting woman to death

A man who was forced to quarantine in his home over fears of coronavirus tore his clothes off and raced into the street naked before biting a sleeping elderly woman to death, it is claimed.

The man, named only as Manikandan, had flown home to India from Sri Lanka when he was ordered by authorities and his family not to leave his house for 14 days.

According to reports in India, after a week of the self-isolation, the 35-year-old man began ripping his clothes off before he hurtled into the street in Tamil Nadu.

It is claimed he then began running through the adjacent streets where he spotted an elderly woman sleeping outside her own home.
Yahoo! News India says the man then raced up to her before clamping down on her neck and biting hard.

The woman woke up and screamed, sending her nude attacker fleeing - but not before a mob had been gathered in a bid to track him down.

Frantic relatives raced the woman to hospital last Friday, but tragically she deteriorated while receiving medical care and died.

The attacker was eventually caught by the enraged mob who handed him over to police.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/man-coronavirus-quarantine-runs-street-21773158

maximus otter
Sounds like the zombie apocalypse has begun. Yikes.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Sounds like the zombie apocalypse has begun. Yikes.
Girl, 7, Stabbed to Death in Bolton Park.

'A 30-year-old woman, who was not known to the family, was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder.

Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson said officers were "working to understand the motive for this completely random and brutal attack.

A woman who was not known to the family was detained by a member of the public and then arrested by the police," he said.

"We understand that the woman has some history of mental illness and we are working to understand if this played any part in her motive." '

I understand, from other reports, that the frenzied attack took place in the full view of the parents. RIP.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
A Russian-made Su-25, belonging to the Chadian Air Force accidentally fired a missile that veered into a senior Chadian commander’s home, killing five people including three children.

The video footage captures the firing of the missile at the Adji Kossei airbase as the aircraft was preparing to take off. The missile clips an empty fuel tanker, which made it veer just away from a parked French C-130 aircraft before disappearing from view. It then slammed into the home of General Mahamat Salah Brahim, Deputy Commander of the Presidential Guard.

According to local reports, four people — two adults and two children — were initially reported dead. A young girl, critically injured in the blast, died later in the hospital. General Brahim is not thought to be among those killed.

https://sofrep.com/news/su-25-accidentally-fires-missile-while-on-ground-misses-parked-c-130-kills-5/

maximus otter

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
No one is safe from the extrovert apocalypse. The extroverts are compelled to approach everyone.

They need your attention ... They feed on your time ...
That reminded me of Colin, the psychic vampire, from the tv series “What We Do in the Shadows”. A funny and offbeat show.
And now back to topic:reap:

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
One from my neck of the woods.

https://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news...in-ditch-at-wassailing-event-near-highbridge/

Inquest hears lady drowned in ditch at wassailing event near Highbridge

A Bridgwater lady who went to a wassailing event near Highbridge to celebrate her birthday tragically drowned in a water-filled drainage ditch, an inquest has heard this week.

Elaine Williams was almost three times the legal drink drive limit when she died in a rhyne at Rich’s Cider Farm in Watchfield in January.

This week’s inquest hearing was told that Elaine, 54, of Halesleigh Road in Bridgwater, had been missing for an hour after going to smoke a cigarette.

Elaine, who trained as a nurse at St Thomas’ Hospital in London, was discovered face down in the ditch and was sadly declared dead at the scene by an ambulance crew on the night of January 18th, 2020.

A Home Office pathologist confirmed she died from drowning, with toxicology tests revealing 229mg of alcohol in her blood.

Tony Williams, Senior Somerset Coroner, recorded a conclusion of an accidental death.
Two thoughts occur with reference to the woman's unfortunate and unusual passing:

-She actually was found "dead in a ditch" (as per the warnings from our parents when teenagers).

-Was she an accidental sacrificial victim á la Wicker Man...?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It's all coming out now -

Anglesey crossbow murder: Pair face fraud and money laundering charges

In a statement, North Wales Police said a 49-year-old man and a his 50-year-old partner had been summoned to appear in court.

"Following consultation with lawyers at the Crown Prosecution Service, a local man has been summonsed for six offences of fraud by false representation," said Det Sgt Arwel Hughes.

"The man's partner has been summonsed for a money laundering offence."

Det Sgt Hughes said the charges followed a "parallel fraud investigation" launched in May 2019, following the shooting of Mr Corrigan.
This is what I was told about by workmates from that area.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The mystery in this death concerns WTF happened to the parachute the victim was wearing when he jumped out of the airplane ...
NYC Man Dies In Skydiving Accident; Police Looking For Parachute

Witnesses said the man was wearing a parachute when he jumped out of the plane at 14,000 feet.

A New York City man died while skydiving in Ulster County Sunday. State police said William McCartin, 40, of New York, boarded a plane at the Skydive the Ranch facility in the Town of Gardiner and jumped out at about 14,000 feet along with another person.

Witnesses said that McCartin left the plane wearing a parachute, but hit the ground in the parking lot of the Gardiner Fire Department on Route 44/55.

He died of his injuries, police said.

The parachute that McCartin jumped out of the plane with has not been located, according to authorities.

State police are asking anyone who may have located it or seen the incident to call the Highland barracks at 845-691-2922.
SOURCE: https://patch.com/new-york/midhudsonvalley/nyc-man-dies-skydiving-accident-police-looking-parachute

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The mystery in this death concerns WTF happened to the parachute the victim was wearing when he jumped out of the airplane ...

SOURCE: https://patch.com/new-york/midhudsonvalley/nyc-man-dies-skydiving-accident-police-looking-parachute
This looks like a real mystery.

For a start, how do we know he was wearing a parachute? Surely it's someone's job to check this before the jump. He's for the, er, high jump!

If he did have a parachute, where did it go?
Has it come loose? Parachutes have to be thoroughly checked over between uses.

Owners do this themselves. A company that arranges skydiving for customers will be responsible for checking and maintaining them. Any loose fittings should be found and replaced.

Could he have removed the parachute himself after he jumped, by accident or deliberately?
Seems unlikely.

'Suicide by parachute' is not unheard of.

Stephen Hilder is believed to have done this in 2003 by cutting his own parachute straps before packing it for a jump.

(Some skydivers still don't believe Hilder killed himself.)

Another, first-time parachutist killed himself in 2006 after taking a skydiving course. He cut the cords while he was actually falling to earth.

However, my money is on a poorly-checked faulty parachute and/or a negligent supervisor at the point of jumping.

Happy to be proved wrong of course.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
OK, now there was a story about a skydiving coach who was filming his students on the way down to earth, and he would strap on his chute, grab the camera and leap out. Three steps. Except he forgot step one. His camera recorded his last words as "Uh-oh!"

Sounds too good (or bad) to be true, but it was in an FT compilation book of strange deaths, so it seems to be authentic. Anyone recognise this one?

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I would like to know what the other jumper saw. It doesn’t say who jumped first. Another question, and I know diddly squat about parachuting, but could it be possible that the chute didn’t open and the wind force rip it off of him as he plummeted?

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
There are too many times between kitting up and jumping where you check your harness, making sure it's not too loose or too tight or twisted, doing the same to anyone else that is next to you. The Jump Master would be able to see straight away if there was anything amiss as you walked to the plane.

The parachute couldn't be far away due to never jumping, if wind is more than 10 mph....It is a conundrum.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This looks like a real mystery.

For a start, how do we know he was wearing a parachute? Surely it's someone's job to check this before the jump. He's for the, er, high jump!

If he did have a parachute, where did it go?
Has it come loose? Parachutes have to be thoroughly checked over between uses.

Owners do this themselves. A company that arranges skydiving for customers will be responsible for checking and maintaining them. Any loose fittings should be found and replaced.

Could he have removed the parachute himself after he jumped, by accident or deliberately?
Seems unlikely.

'Suicide by parachute' is not unheard of.

Stephen Hilder is believed to have done this in 2003 by cutting his own parachute straps before packing it for a jump.

(Some skydivers still don't believe Hilder killed himself.)

Another, first-time parachutist killed himself in 2006 after taking a skydiving course. He cut the cords while he was actually falling to earth.

However, my money is on a poorly-checked faulty parachute and/or a negligent supervisor at the point of jumping.

Happy to be proved wrong of course.
Witnesses said he left the plane with a parachute - he then chose to remove the parachute from himself after deploying it - probable suicide.

I've not read it but it's all contained here:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/prh_change1.pdf

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This June 30 article provides some info from the perspective of a fellow skydiver who'd jumped after McCartin and his coach.

This story provides two key points ... First - McCartin's parachute did deploy, and it was seen from the ground. Second - the search continues for McCartin's chute equipment (which is described for the first time).

McCartin had some 200 jumps until that point, but because it had been a couple of months since his last jump, he was accompanied by a coach, which is part of the FAA-approved skydiving licensing system. The jump was the final step for McCartin to again be allowed to skydive solo ...

Instructor John Kieran had been on the plane with McCartin, but made a separate skydive after McCartin and the coach. The plane was flying at about 14,000 feet when McMartin and his coach jumped, and the two separated to give make room to open the parachutes. After Kieran landed, he saw McCartin’s chute still in the air, and didn’t immediately realized that McCartin was no longer attached to it. “We all come down at different speeds,” he explained, and the fact that McCartin had somehow slipped his harness only became clear with time. ...
FULL STORY: https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2020/06...without-chute-in-fire-department-parking-lot/

See Also:
https://www.nyspnews.com/update-sta...re-investigating-fatal-skydiving-incident.htm

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Witnesses said he left the plane with a parachute - he then chose to remove the parachute from himself after deploying it - probable suicide.
You'd think it would be hard to remove a parachute while it's actually in use. I expect there's a quick-release method for if you land in a burning tree or whatever.

The two 'parachute suicides' I've come across both cut their own parachute straps; one before he packed it and the other during the actual jump.

(The one who was concluded to have cut the straps before the jump is believed to have done it when the parachute was in the boot of his car at some point.
Microscopic threads from the straps were found on the blades of scissors found in his possessions and on his clothing, and his DNA was on the scissor handles.

Even so, his friends say that the fact he pulled all the several parachute release controls during his fatal jump proves he didn't intend to die. Maybe he panicked or changed his mind? Or he really didn't cut the straps and acted as he'd been trained to when a parachute fails?
The case is closed as a suicide so that's where the matter must rest.)