• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

The plot thickens

Mr Fletchman, 35, a British tourist from Manchester who was on a family holiday at the time of the deaths, said safety measures such as a lifeguard by the pool could have helped prevent them. He said he first knew something was wrong when a Spanish woman ran into the hotel reception making a "death cry". The youth support worker was one of the first people at the scene and gave CPR to Praise-Emmanuel at the poolside.

Mr Fletchman said he was surprised police had not spoken to him.

"If it was my situation, my family members, I'd want [police] to speak to everybody. I'd want an investigation... well and truly they should be investigating," he told the BBC.

He said there were "things that could have been put in place" to prevent what happened. Mr Fletchman said a staff member "had to run to the reception" to alert someone and should have had a walkie talkie or another way of raising the alarm. He called this an example of "silly mistakes".

"I'm not going to sit here and blame anybody, but... if it was my family that it happened to... I'd be raising alarm bells," he said.

Mr Fletchman said he felt there should have been a lifeguard on duty and that signs indicating the depth of the pool could have been clearer. He added that, had there been constant supervision, Mr Diya "wouldn't have had to jump in" and called it "a simple thing of paying somebody a standard minimum wage".

"It's better to do that and save three lives than not do that," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50977639

He added that, had there been constant supervision, Mr Diya "wouldn't have had to jump in" and called it "a simple thing of paying somebody a standard minimum wage".

What a telling comment. British lifeguards are trained in pool maintenence as well as life-saving techniques like CPR. They don't make much more than the minimum wage even though they're expected to do all that.

I'm wondering if holiday companies cut costs by not having poolside supervision. People are then using pools at their own risk. Fair enough if everyone is sober and capable, I suppose.

Extraordinary incident in Spain.

Three people killed by an explosion at a chemical factory
Two were working at the factory, which one would expect in such circumstances.

But the third was not a worker there, and when the explosion happened was two miles away at his home.

"A large metal plate launched by an explosion at a chemical plant in Spain's autonomous Catalonia region killed a man 3km (two miles) away.
The man, named only as Sergio, was in his apartment when the one tonne object struck, causing part of the building to collapse, officials have confirmed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51113132#

Good grief, that's like firing a bullet up in the air and it coming down a mile away into someone's head. Except even worse!

Bloody hell - blowing a one ton object 3 km is almost unbelievable.

This doesn't sound like a good way to go. The small "hotel" operation was located in the basement of a residential block - where all the building apparatus was located.
Heating pipe bursts in Russian hotel, boiling water kills 5

A heating pipe burst Monday in a small Russian hotel, flooding rooms with boiling water that killed five people and left six others injured in the central city of Perm, emergency officials said.

The nine-room hotel was located in the basement of a residential building in the city of 1 million people near Russia’s Ural Mountains. All of the victims — who included a child — were staying at the hotel, authorities said. Three of the injured were hospitalized with burns.

Russian police have opened a probe into the tragedy.

The plumbing explosion left 20 buildings, including a hospital, a school and a kindergarten, without heat or hot water in the middle of winter, local authorities said.

Russian lawmaker Oleg Melnichenko said, given the deaths, the Russian parliament might consider a ban on having hotels or hostels in the basements of residential buildings.

“Hostels shouldn’t be open in basements, where all pipelines are located,” Melnichenko said. ...
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/58e80f285cf8b0ea163d9d9a7c0208ee

It's hard to imagine how powerful the wind and sea can be along the fylde coast,
I was sat just a bit further down were you can turn off and drive along the back of
the sea wall to Cleveleys were they used to have the sprint, any way Shirley Crabtree
as in Big Daddy the wrestler turned up the fool got out of is car and was immediately
sat on his backside by the wind, he could not get up but managed to drag is self
back in the car, it must have been gusting 100+ mph.

So did my grandma and grandad! If you got to the top of the hill it was the house on the corner with a side garden to it. I can't recall the road it was a corner on to though.

It's not clear exactly what happened in this fatal workplace incident ...
California woman dies after clothing gets caught in raisin processing machine

A 33-year-old California woman is dead after her clothing got caught in a machine at a raisin processing facility in Fresno County.

Yaneth Lopez Valladares had worked at the Del Rey Packing Co. for two years before the incident Friday, the Fresno County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

A piece of her clothing got caught in the machine used for processing raisins and she was "severely injured," the statement said. Two other employees were nearby and immediately powered down the machine, but she died at the scene.

"We are in deep sorrow," Del Rey Packing Co. President Gerald Chooljian said in a statement.
The Department of Occupational Safety and Health is investigating the incident.
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/25/us/woman-killed-raisin-machine/index.html

Bloody hell - blowing a one ton object 3 km is almost unbelievable.

For comparison, the biggest calibre of naval gun in WW2 was the Japanese 18.1" gun capable of firing an armour piercing shell weighing 1.43 tons up to 26 miles (40 km). Wikipedia says the "effective firing range" was rather less at 16 miles (25 km). Presumably it was ineffective because at that distance the shell would cause "merely a scratch."

Of course, to achieve this result, the gun had had to focus the entire explosive power of the charge through a carefully designed gun barrel. In the factory explosion story, any such focussing of the power of the explosion would have been purely fortuitous.

If you are on the A170 between Middleton and Aislaby look on the left if
heading for Pickering and you will see a 15 inch shell from a Queen Elizabeth
class battleship, now you would not want that on your nose as a wart.
There are 3 in the area but the one on the A170 is the easiest to find.

Last edited:
If you are on the A170 between Middleton and Aislaby look on the left if
heading for Pickering and you will see a 15 inch shell from a Queen Elizabeth
class battleship, now you would not want that on your nose as a wart.
There are 3 in the area bit the one on the A170 is the easiest to find.
A Streetview link, please?

A Streetview link, please?

There’s a large German shell on display in Whitby, N. Yorks, from the shelling by two warships on 16.12.14.

From a quick check, though, it’s probably “only” an 11” or 12” specimen:

stream_img.jpg

Opening of the memorial garden

The shell itself:

iu

maximus otter

Here's a sad case ... A man responding to a neighbor's being mauled by dogs killed the neighbor instead - with his crossbow.
A Massachusetts man attempting to save his neighbor from a dog attack accidentally shot and killed him with a crossbow, officials said.

Police are investigating the incident as an accidental death, according to a release from the Berkshire District Attorney's office.

Police from Adams received multiple 911 calls on Wednesday at approximately 12:09 p.m. "for a reported mauling in progress."

Investigators believe that the man, described as a good Samaritan by the district attorney's office, heard a commotion coming from his neighbor's apartment and rushed over to help. The man retrieved a crossbow and shot at one of the pit bulls.

Investigators believe that the bolt struck one of the dogs, went through the door and fatally struck the neighbor who was attempting to barricade himself from the attack. He was identified as Joshua Jadusingh, 27.

Responding officers had to use their service weapons to neutralize the animals, who have "a history of being aggressive" and "turned the attack onto responding officers."

One of the dogs named Max previously attacked someone in the home in 2018, and the unidentified victim had to receive medical care, District Attorney Andrea Harrington said at a news conference. ...

The ballistics portion of the incident is still under investigation, according to the release.

Police found Jadusingh's body and an unharmed child in a nearby room inside the apartment.

Harrington said that at this time she does not expect to file any criminal charges against the man who fired the crossbow.
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/us/crossbow-pitbull-attack-trnd/index.html

Back