• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

A woman I work with's husband was a friend of the guy killed by the falling car on the beach, so now, by just 4 degrees of separation, you are all linked to him too. Small world and all that. Strangely, though, she only found out about it this morning!?!?!

The washing machine story sounds unlikely to me because-

1. The man couldn't kick the 'on' switch with BOTH his feet in the washer. If only one foot was in it, and it came on, he'd be unlikely to put the other foot in.
2. The bleach bottle had no top on- most unusual.
3. The 'off' switch should have been as accessible as the 'on' so he'd have been able to find it while the machine was going slowly. Well, before being blinded maybe.
4. The baking soda was also open, it seems.
5. The exact sequence of events is described when there were no witnesses. Very fine detective work!
6. Most washing machines won't go with the door open.

Glad the dog survived though. :)

Thanks, Schnor!

The BBC give more details than the Guardian story. I was
very glad to learn that he had put on his seat-belt! :eek:

escargot said:
The washing machine story sounds unlikely
It's obviously bollocks, I'd say based on a true story (which I've heard before) but embellished to hell. Great read though :D

Regarding the decapitation, this was a method of suicide used on the Marconi thread (dodgy deaths in the early 80s linked to Marconi employees). I remember arguing that it was entirely feasible for someone to come up with such a method so I feel slightly vindicated...

I read the Guardian story about the B&Q decapitation - according to that, the coroner remarked that it appeared that the victim had found out about the method through an internet site that described it, and expressed his horror that such a site existed. Wonder if the victim had been looking on the FT site?

escargot said:
6. Most washing machines won't go with the door open.

Glad the dog survived though. :)

I would guess that it was one of those american top-loader things. They're similar to the old twin-tub washing maching which I remember from my youth. Those will run with the top up.

Cujo

Hot off the press today....

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- A surgical resident was killed when an elevator malfunctioned and decapitated him, authorities said.

Hitoshi Nikaidoh, 35, was stepping into a second-floor elevator at Christus St. Joseph Hospital Saturday morning when the doors suddenly closed, pinning his shoulders. His head was severed when the elevator car moved upward.

A hospital employee witnessed the accident and spent about 20 minutes trapped inside the elevator before firefighters rescued her. She was treated for shock in the hospital's emergency room, hospital spokeswoman India Chumney Hancock said.

Harris County medical examiners were conducting an inquiry into the accident. Police said earlier that maintenance crews had worked on the elevators during the week.

The entire elevator bank was pulled from operation until the investigation is complete.

Nikaidoh graduated in 2003 from the University of Texas-Houston Medical School.

Elevators and escalators kill about 30 and injure about 17,100 people each year in the United States, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Southwest/08/18/doctor.decapitated.ap/index.html

A hospital employee witnessed the accident and spent about 20 minutes trapped inside the elevator before firefighters rescued her
- presumably with just the head :eek:

What a terrible thing to happen.
I work in places where lifts are used all the time, for going up just one or two floors with trolleys, and I never travel in them myself as they jam and go wrong twenty times a day. Means I have to run up & down stairs a lot but I feel safer!

escargot said:
-took me a while to work that one out. If you keep in mind that the section of bedpost was no longer attached to the bed, makes it easier to visualise. A little. :confused:

The Minefield of Home-Made Masturbatory Machines- don't try this at home, kids!

:rolleyes:

Did he died when he breated his own flatulence? It would be the first time it happens IIRC. A guy was in a very small room, probably a security guard, and he seemed to be rather gassy that nigth, to the point that he infested the air in the room with methane and killed himself. A crude variation on the "Dutch Oven" perhaps.

There's a story about someone in a closed room farting himself to death on the Darwin Awards site. It's also featured in FT at least once.

How dangerous are nighttime dogfarts?
To me, I mean, not the dog. The dog seems to relish them. :cross eye

edit- DO NOT Google the word 'dogfart' :eek:

why does Dogfart bring up those results then?
(says jima, who spent part of last night discussing with person on the net if there was a band called f**k c**t :D couldnt find one )

jima said:
(says jima, who spent part of last night discussing with person on the net if there was a band called f**k c**t :D couldnt find one )
I'd post you a link Jima, but then I'd have to ban myself :rolleyes:

No idea- and I really don't WANT to know! :D

I thought it was just the vulgar name for canine flatulence....
.... glad I didn't do an image search!;)

I live a sheltered life...............

Last edited:
I'm guessing dogfart isn't the sort of thing I should be googling on the company web connection?

Filcee said:
I'm guessing dogfart isn't the sort of thing I should be googling on the company web connection?

Go for it Filcee. Who needs a job anyway?

Anyway, to drag this conversation kicking and screaming back OT the following in also from the mildly amusing area,

Several years ago, in a west Texas town, employees in a medium-sized warehouse noticed the smell of a gas leak.

Sensibly, management evacuated the building, extinguishing all potential sources of ignition - lights, power, etc.

After the building had been evacuated, two technicians from the gas company were dispatched. Upon entering the building, they found they had difficulty navigating in the dark.

To their frustration, none of the lights worked. Witnesses later described the vision of one of the technicians reaching into his pocket, and retrieving an object that resembled a lighter.

Upon operation of the lighter-like object, the gas in the warehouse exploded, sending pieces of it up to three miles away.

Nothing was found of the technicians, but the lighter was virtually untouched by the explosion.

The technician that was suspected of causing the explosion had never been thought of as "bright" by his peers. (He was probably very bright for the last few seconds of his life !)

Man dies while laughing in sleep
From correspondents in Bangkok, Thailand
August 21, 2003
AN ice-cream truck driver in Thailand died while laughing in his sleep, a newspaper reported today.

Damnoen Saen-um, 52, laughed for about two minutes on Wednesday and then stopped breathing, The Nation said, quoting officials.

The newspaper said Damnoen's wife tried to wake him up but he kept laughing. An autopsy suggested that he might have had a heart attack, the newspaper quoted a doctor as saying.

"I have never seen a case like this. But it is possible that a person could have heart seizure while laughing or crying too hard in their sleep," said Dr. Somchai Chakrabhand, deputy director-general of the Mental Health Department, according to The Nation.

The incident occurred in Phrae province, 490km north of Bangkok.

I ran this one past a friend and he came up with the following:

"It looks like Dogfart was the nickname of someone on Usenet back in 1997 who started posting interracial pictures, according to Google Groups. He might have got his name from a Beavis and Butthead script."

Marie

FROZEN FOOD KILLS MAN
A man has died after a mountain of frozen food fell on him.

Rescuers had been searching for Virglio Bernardino, 57, ever since he went missing in Ontario, Canada, on Saturday.

Rescue dogs found his frozen body under tonnes of food.

It appears a rack holding the produce had collapsed.

"By the time we had located the victim, there were 6ins of frozen juices of all kinds on the floor," said Gary Jarrett, assistant division chief of the Brampton Fire and Emergency Service.

"The volume of refuse that had to be removed was unprecedented by any stretch of the imagination - it was tons and tonnes and tonnes."

Co-worker of man killed in bank robbery blast dies at home
ERIE, Pa. (AP) — A friend and co-worker of a pizza deliveryman who robbed a bank, then died when a bomb strapped to his body exploded, was found dead at his home Sunday.

Police said there was no obvious connection between the two deaths. Authorities sent a bomb squad to search the home in Lawrence Park Township as a precaution, but they found nothing suspicious, state police Cpl. Mark Zaleski said.

"There was nothing overtly obvious as to the cause of his death," Zaleski said, "but because there's a relationship between the two individuals, we are over there."

Robert Pinetti, 43, worked with Brian Douglas Wells, 46, who died Thursday shortly after robbing a bank in Erie. Minutes before the bomb went off, Wells told officers who stopped him that he had been forced to rob the bank. No one else was injured in the explosion.

Wells had gone to deliver a pizza to a mysterious address in a remote area about an hour before he turned up at the bank with the bomb strapped to his body.

Police received a call early Sunday asking for medical assistance at the home where Pinetti lived with his parents, but the man refused medical assistance, Zaleski said.

A few hours later, authorities were called again after his parents found him unresponsive. He was pronounced dead at the home and an autopsy was scheduled, Zaleski said.

FBI Special Agent Bob Rudge said there was no reason to connect Pinetti's death to Wells' case.

There was no answer at the pizza shop where both men worked.
Curiouser and curiouser...

Dead pair may have killed each other
TWO men found dead in a Sydney flat may have killed each other in a brutal fight to the death.

Police would not immediately confirm or deny a report on Channel Nine that the men bashed and stabbed each other to death in the upstairs flat of the red brick duplex.

Investigating police reportedly said there were no signs of a third party entering the house.

The preliminary finding of a post-mortem examination completed today says both men died from blunt force injuries to the head.

Further forensic testing is now underway and police are trying to contact the families of the two men who have both been positively identified.

Their names are yet to be released.

Police found the bodies of the men, believed to be Singaporeans studying at the University of NSW, in different rooms of the unit after neighbours called emergency services yesterday afternoon.

Singapore reacted with shock today to news of their deaths.

The story was front page news in Singaporean newspapers today and was leading television bulletins.

Santokh Singh, of the New Paper which was the first to report the story, said the deaths had struck a chord with Singaporeans.

"I am sure it would shock any country when a student of theirs is murdered," he said.

The New Paper had been contacted by worried Singaporeans today wanting to know the identities of the dead men.

But Mr Singh does not think the incident will put Singaporean parents off from sending their children to study in Australia.

"They would be more wary and ask their children to take more care but I don't think it would make anyone pack up and go home," he said.

Man found dead, stuck in window
Edward Charles Mills didn't have his keys, so he didn't drive home from the bar. But he apparently died trying to climb through a window since the front door was locked.

The 29-year-old, 300-pound Harrison Avenue man had left his car outside a Paterson bar Sunday night, and he didn't show up for work Monday morning. Worried friends called police, Deputy Chief Robert Andrezzi said. Officers went to Mills' apartment. He didn't answer the door - and they didn't have sufficient information to force entry.

Meanwhile, Mills was lodged in a small rear bathroom window, Andrezzi said. Friends eventually got inside with a key and discovered him, his upper torso in the bathroom, the rest dangling out into a courtyard. He had climbed onto barrels to reach the first floor window. His pit bull terrier and bull mastiff were running around the apartment in the rear of the two-story brick building.

Authorities said the window frame apparently cut off Mills air supply. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A team of firefighters managed to get the body from the window and onto a backboard, which was then slid onto a ladder. Eight men held the board while the ladder was removed. Only discarded rubber gloves, lying on a small patch of lawn, remained.

Neighbors told police that Mills frequently climbed through the window when he didn't have his keys. Detectives were still trying to piece together the sequence of events leading to his death. It was unclear if alcohol played a role in his death.

"He's been known to do that. But we don't know what his condition was," Andrezzi said. "I've seen a million things, but I've never seen anything like this."

Pleasant Prairie, Wis.: A 39-yr-old man was killed when he accidentally drove into the back of a semi while he was reading a newspaper (spread out over the steering wheel of his rental truck).
:rolleyes:

Man killed leaping from car
Friends say he planned to 'earn' tattoo by surviving Jefferson County incident

A young man who told friends he wanted to jump from a moving car to earn a tattoo leapt from a Subaru at 40 mph Monday afternoon and died almost instantly.
The 20-year-old man, whose name was not released, died just after 12:30 p.m. Monday after he hurled himself out of the back seat of the car in the middle of Weaver Drive in south Jefferson County.

He had told two friends in the car that he planned to jump, said Colorado State Patrol Cpl. Sean Wheeler. But the friends didn't think he would do it, Wheeler said.

As they were driving him around, the two friends were trying to talk him out of it, he said.

"The person who jumped had been telling his friends for the last month that he needed to jump from a moving car so he could have a traumatic incident in his life so he could get a tattoo," Wheeler said.

Many neighbors in the placid neighborhood near Columbine High School were shaken by the sight of the body. The two other people in the Subaru - driver Erin Grubbs, 19, and Oscar Swansfeger, 18, both of Conifer - hugged each other for hours after the accident and cried as the State Patrol investigated.

Welford Smith said he and his wife were driving home on Weaver from a weekend in the mountains when they came upon the accident. Grubbs and Swansfeger were standing in the street, hysterically calling 911. The victim lay in a puddle of blood.

"It was awful," Smith said.

Smith and his wife went home and came back with two blankets they used to cover the body. Smith's wife took the phone from Swansfeger to talk to 911. They asked her to check the victim's pulse, but there was none, Smith said.

Soon, authorities and paramedics arrived. Smith said the teenagers were in disbelief.

"He kept saying: 'He wanted to jump out of a car. He wanted to feel what it was like,"' Smith said. "They were just hysterical. They didn't know what to do. We didn't know what to do either."

Wheeler said the Subaru was heading eastbound on Weaver when the man jumped from the car near Gray Court. Grubbs told police that she was driving about 40 mph. There is a stop sign at Weaver and Gray, but it was unclear whether the Subaru had slowed for it.

Wheeler said drugs and alcohol were not believed to be involved. Any possible charges are pending, he said.

"Nobody can really give a good explanation of why he needed to jump from a car to get a tattoo or why he needed this tattoo experience," Wheeler said. "This is the strangest thing I've ever seen. There's just no explanation for it at all."
Was this near the same Columbine High School where the shooting incident occured?

A bridge too far

Skydiver killed in Colorado

Canon City, Colorado-AP -- Authorities in Colorado say an Australian skydiver was killed today while attempting a stunt.
Officials say 30-year-old Dwain Weston had jumped from an airplane with another parachutist. They were supposed to free fall until they reached the one-thousand-foot high Royal Gorge Bridge. Weston was supposed to go above the bridge and the other athlete would go under it.But Weston, traveling at an estimated 100 miles-an-hour, miscalculated his distance from the bridge and struck a railing. He fell onto a rock face roughly 300 feet from the bottom of the gorge.Before the accident, Weston had participated in the "Go Fast Games," jumping off the bridge with about 40 other BASE jumpers -- athletes who skydive from fixed objects.The Royal Gorge Bridge is the world's highest suspension bridge.

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=1470222

oops another one for the net clips of fatal acidents... downloaded by creeps

Back