• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Dreams!

Meg White can certainly give the old drums a pasting. Otherwise she seems a gentle enough soul. I'm pretty sure Jack would have started a few rumours to bolster that weird Flowers in the Attic vibe they had going on if Meg was roaming the woods with a hatchet.
Those are the dreams that stay with you though, I had a dream where my brother was the victim. The images are still very clear years later.

Do you watch CSI type murder/rape dramas on TV ? ... my Mrs loves them but they're to grim and depressing for me.

Women love crimes, especially of the offences against the person variety. University criminology courses are full of eager female students who happy to discuss the nuances in behaviour of sexually motivated/sadistic rapists, opportunistic rapists, pervasively angry rapists, vindictive rapists and so on.

One explanation is that women are both more analytical and more judgmental. Crime is a natural interest for them.

I dunno. I have an MA in criminology and I'm still fascinated. :cooll:

Women love crimes, especially of the offences against the person variety. University criminology courses are full of eager female students who happy to discuss the nuances in behaviour of sexually motivated/sadistic rapists, opportunistic rapists, pervasively angry rapists, vindictive rapists and so on.

One explanation is that women are both more analytical and more judgmental. Crime is a natural interest for them.

I've also noticed it's mostly women that are interested in this stuff .. the amount of female student nurses I worked with that wanted to go into criminal psychology was off the scale. I'm also reminded of a Randall and Dante exchange in one of the CLERKS films : "We spent a whole summer studying criminal psychology for God's sake ! .. what were we training to be ? .. Batman ?". (I love CLERKS)

I've also noticed it's mostly women that are interested in this stuff .. the amount of female student nurses I worked with that wanted to go into criminal psychology was off the scale. I'm also reminded of a Randall and Dante exchange in one of the CLERKS films : "We spent a whole summer studying criminal psychology for God's sake ! .. what were we training to be ? .. Batman ?". (I love CLERKS)

Look at the adverts that're on during these programmes. No cars or shaving foam. ;)

On my MSc of 39, there were four blokes.

Do you watch CSI type murder/rape dramas on TV ? ... my Mrs loves them but they're to grim and depressing for me.

Nah. I like mysteries but not so much police procedurals.

Whatever's been going on with my dreams, it's way out of the ordinary and not easy to identify. I have considered that government stuff has been causing some worry, and since it takes about 6 weeks for dreams to catch up with things like moving house, perhaps it's taken the same amount of time here, too.

But something seems off about that explanation as well. You know what it's like when you uncover the meaning of a dream symbol, it just clicks. So far nothing has clicked, but I know it means something.

Last night I dreamed I was a flamenco dancer - an angry flamenco dancer, no less - but there were no scary secret watchers in evidence.

Perhaps this means the end of this dream cycle. Hopefully so.

Hey! You poo-pooed me when I said then same thing that women enjoy the murder channels!

Last night in my insanest of deams I was driving a succession of Lothian Regional Transport double-decker buses towards Rosslyn Chapel, down a tight, twisting road that was not unlike Castle Street in Edinburgh, but mixed-in with the streets of Valletta, Malta.

lothian37-2-1024x683.jpg

I had to steer the buses from the upper-deck passenger seats, because the driver part of me knew that since I was asleep, this was the safest arrangement.

All strange and unattributable...

Ermintrude's dream (sounds like a great title for a prog-rock concept album) just gave me a vivid flashback!
On a visit to Malta around 7 years ago they still used those classy yellow Bedford buses, some of them extremely ancient. I recall travelling on one venerable old bus, heavily customised by the owner/driver into some kind of shrine. There were statues of saints and the Virgin Mary and rosary beads all over the dashboard. On the undulating road from Sliema south towards the Dingli cliffs, the driver was singing hymns very loudly and dischordantly, all accompanied by a mis-firing engine, crunching gears, howling differential and the all pervasive smell of leaking diesel and exhaust fumes. Slightly alarmingly, he would take his hands off the wheel to clap along with his singing at regular intervals. I was glancing around slightly nervously, whereas the locals were just sitting back, smiling and enjoying the show. One passenger then got up, clambered up onto the (huge) transmission tunnel, put his arm around the driver and joined in the singing.

Sadly, last time I was there, the old buses had all gone and had been replaced by the modern Arriva buses (even in the same livery) that I can see around Hampshire every day.

Obviously those ancient yellow buses couldn't go on forever, but it was truly sad to see them go. Malta has lost a bit of its heritage and has became a slightly less surreal (but still very mysterious and lovable) place with the demise of the famous yellow bus.

Last edited:
Storyville Killing For Love is currently on the BBC iplayer.
No spoilers, but for me the female prison officer is a star.

This doesn't quite fit in the Dreams That Have Come True thread (at least not yet.....read on) and this seems to be the most active dream thread at the moment, so-

Last Night.
First part of dream was in no way prophetic. Board member Krepostnoi had sent me some images of ghostly figures standing on a theatre stage. They were in colour, fully lit by the stage lights and taken from a few feet away and yet they were still blurry. As if the shutter had been open too long, there was motion blur obscuring the finer details. What I could see was that they were dressed in cloaks and masks like a Greek chorus. The images finally started moving and became a Youtube clip in which a lead actor (perfectly clear) came on stage to join the others. He was very similar to the film character Baron Munchausen. End.

Part two of dream. I was at work taking photographs of everything because I was leaving and wanted some pictures to remind me of the place. End.

This morning at work, my boss told me he is selling the business. I'm not unemployed or indeed should be at any time in the foreseeable but it brought the dream crashing right back at me.

Dream synchronicity: Not quite a dream, but in the same territory (the sub- / unconscious). This happens to me from time to time. I awoke this morning and in that stirring state before full conscious alertness kicks in, a name drifted into my mind: Meadowlark Lemon. Anyone over a given age will remember him as a member of the famous Harlem Globetrotters basketball team in the 1970s -which is the label my mind then naturally applied next. I mused briefly as to why I'd be thinking of them, when I've not heard or thought of them for years. Roll on 40 mins, and I'm in the car on the way to work, listening to Radio 2, when Chris Evans suddenly mentions the Harlem Globetrotters, two of whom would be on the show later. Definitely have no conscious recollection of it being mentioned on the show the previous day (I'm only in the car for 30 mins or so in the morning) - although it is possible and the news lodged quietly and unnoticed into my unconscious.

Last edited:
I had a dream last night where I witnessed a maintenance worker spilling brains after falling from a great height. Have no idea why or what it meant.

Also had a constant fear that someone was going to plough their car/other vehicle into me which felt like a form of terrorism.

Again no idea why and seem to be having very similar kinds of dreams for a while now.

I had a dream last night where I witnessed a maintenance worker spilling brains after falling from a great height. Have no idea why or what it meant.
Today I posted
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/lucky-escapes.53740/page-5#post-1659231

It's about two window cleaners who fell from a NY skyscraper some years ago. One was killed but the other survived.
The story is in the BBC magazine - perhaps it was also mentioned on air, and your subconscious caught on to it.

Someone on a Fortean forum somewhere (on this thread?) recommended The Mind at Night: the New science of how and why we dream. I got it from the local library; the author cites studies which indicate one reason we dream is essentially to cultivate optimism. (Being cheerful confers an evolutionary advantage apparently.)

Researchers cited in the book found that dreams earlier in the night tended to feature negative feelings and content, but that dream feelings and content became progressively more positive during the night. Depressed people didn't experience this; in fact, their dreams became more negative during the night. You can make depressed people feel better by interrupting their sleep, but if you interrupt the sleep of normally happy people, they get very crabby.

If you are experiencing unpleasant dreams more than you normally do, maybe it means you're waking up briefly during the early part of the night.

I had a strange dream last December that I just haven't been able to shake. Probably partially due to the fact that I just can't stop listening to podcasts about strange things, but also because it was just weird.

In the dream, I "woke up" in my own bed, wearing the pajamas I was actually wearing in real life. The door to my bedroom was open. There was a short figure at the end of my bed and two more just outside my bedroom. I was confused and frightened because I was home alone that night. I don't remember everything they said, but one thing I remember was "we were trying to warn you and your podmates about this" which makes no sense to me. I asked where they came from, and each of them pointed at different pieces of furniture in my apartment and said "here". At this point, I was freaking out pretty badly and they seemed to pick up on this so they changed their from from short human to my parents' yellow lab, I guess to calm me down?

I don't remember if there was more to the dream, but I remember waking up and feeling tingly all over, kind of like when your arm/leg falls asleep and you're gradually waking it back up, but all over my body. Bedroom door was closed and I felt alone again.

No idea if this is related to my fiance and our old roommate's shared sleep paralysis/hallucination of gnomes in our previous apartment, but it was similar enough to scare the bejeezus out of me.

... but one thing I remember was "we were trying to warn you and your podmates about this" which makes no sense to me. ...

Did it make no sense because you specifically didn't know what 'podmates' referred to, or was it just generally confusing?

Does the term 'podmate' mean anything to you?

Exactly what I don't want it to be, but also exactly what I am afraid that it was. I can't ignore that tingly feeling when I woke up.

did you say they changed into labrador dogs ?
Yep. As soon as I started becoming visibly uncomfortable in the dream, it was like they changed form to something more "familiar" to me. Good choice honestly, but still unsettling.

Did it make no sense because you specifically didn't know what 'podmates' referred to, or was it just generally confusing?

Does the term 'podmate' mean anything to you?
"Podmate" means nothing to me, which is why I keep trying to connect it to the gnome incident a few years back because I guess roommate to podmate isn't such a stretch to me?

I'd like to hear about the gnomes.
It's not a super impressive story, mostly because I was actually asleep for this and I've only heard it second hand. I was living with my fiance and a roommate in a 2 bedroom apartment, and one night our roommate had sleep paralysis where he felt like there was a gnome in his bedroom. He was telling my fiance about it the next day, like haha listen to this weird thing that happened to me last night, isn't it funny, but my fiance freaked out a little bit because at the same time that night, he woke up and swore he saw a gnome in OUR room, so he jumped out of bed and chased it into our closet where it disappeared.

I think it's worth noting that my fiance was a complete skeptic of all of this stuff at the time, and he's still freaked out by gnomes, so I don't think either of them are lying about it.

Nice dream mothgirl. That 'tingly' feeling you mentioned is also called the 'vibrational state' it comes before, during and after an out of body experience. :)

Someone I vaguely knew in a youth hostel claimed that one night a fairybook gnome corkscrewed up through the floor, laughed at him, then vanished. He was stoned at the time, but AFAIK cannabis doesn't cause visual hallucinations.

Wouldn't "podmates" refer to the other people who listen to the podcast? Are you in friendly contact with anyone else who listens? They could be a podmate.

Someone I vaguely knew in a youth hostel claimed that one night a fairybook gnome corkscrewed up through the floor, laughed at him, then vanished.

There's a very fine book called Railway Ghosts which features a similar story. Someone was on a moving train when a gnome/circus dwarf figure rose up through the floor, stared at him/her and slowly sank down out of sight again.

I like the train story but I've always thought the person had fallen asleep and dreamed it!

Wouldn't "podmates" refer to the other people who listen to the podcast? Are you in friendly contact with anyone else who listens? They could be a podmate.

Yep - that was the angle that motivated me to ask about the terminology.

The only other possibility that occurred to me was 'pod' as in 'group of whales'.

Someone I vaguely knew in a youth hostel claimed that one night a fairybook gnome corkscrewed up through the floor, laughed at him, then vanished. He was stoned at the time, but AFAIK cannabis doesn't cause visual hallucinations.
That acquaintance...was it David Bowie?

I thought 'podmates' might mean the fiance and the roommate.

I thought 'podmates' might mean the fiance and the roommate.

If the jargon of a half-century ago were still common, I'd have wondered if 'PAD-mates' had been mis-heard and the reference was indeed specific to those living in the same quarters.

Back