• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Dreams!

Your dreams seem fairly commonplace. I dreamt that I woke up in bed next to my own corpse, and resurrected myself by placing a pill in the dead me's mouth.
:eek: ....

The last weird one I had started off with realistic flying hippos with pink fur on their backs and bat wings between each limb .. one landed in the back garden of a house me and the Mrs seemed to now be living in .. after chucking it a pear and an apple through the backdoor after it charged at us, I then had to kill someone who was eating some woman's head shoved against a wall with a kitchen carving knife .. the head remains that were left weren't nice .. I couldn't get back to sleep after that one ...

Most frighteningly realistic dream I ever had I was working in a hospital (I have nothing to do with the medical profession!) which I knew was on an airless alien world and was protected by some sort of force field. I was just finishing my shift and walking away down a long corridor when an alarm sounded to say the field had failed and looking down the corridor I could see people starting to collapse, I turned to a doctor next me shook his hand and said goodbye and then started to black out - at which point I woke up!

Most frighteningly realistic dream I ever had I was working in a hospital (I have nothing to do with the medical profession!) which I knew was on an airless alien world and was protected by some sort of force field. I was just finishing my shift and walking away down a long corridor when an alarm sounded to say the field had failed and looking down the corridor I could see people starting to collapse, I turned to a doctor next me shook his hand and said goodbye and then started to black out - at which point I woke up!

That has distinct echoes of the Dr Who story "Smith and Jones", in which a hospital was removed to the moon, along with - at first - its own air bubble. Have you seen it, by any chance?

How long ago did you have this dream? Just this morning, I dreamt of a lot of people choking and collapsing in an airport. Since I was watching from a distance, it was unclear exactly why. I thought maybe a posion gas attack.

It was also a realistic and disturbing dream. I woke up for a moment thinking this had actually happened!

That has distinct echoes of the Dr Who story "Smith and Jones", in which a hospital was removed to the moon, along with - at first - its own air bubble. Have you seen it, by any chance?

My second favorite episode of all time. :)

I have dreams like this very often, because a very mundane condition : I gave severe nocturnal apnea. Try to check with a doctor (well, not necessarily THE Doctor...) if you are developing a condition like this.

Have indeed seen that episode but despite the similarities my dream predated it by many years!

Who needs weird dreams these days when all you need is to look at the news! I just spent an hour on FB reading about the latest slew of political crises in the US. What a nightmare. :eek:

The strangest dream I had was strange because it wasn't strange.
I was at work. Just a normal day and I just got on with the job.
That was it.

The strangest dream I had was strange because it wasn't strange.
I was at work. Just a normal day and I just got on with the job.
That was it.
That sounds like a nightmare.

I would have welcomed a dogheaded colleague carrying an unfeasible amount of oranges saying they had to go to the Prime Minister, but no.
I was working in the stores, which is where I started my career, I even remember using my favourite sack truck, unseen for 25 years, just putting stuff away.
Weird.

Work is a recurring dream. Oddly despite spending 25 years in the office and the last 3 or 4 in the stores. I'm always in the stores, trying to pick orders which have impossible part numbers, I dunno, X4296HHVD222, something like that, from a range of products I've never seen before, all sorts, craft materials, toys, all small products in poly bags which I realise haven't been put away in any order and I know I'm going to be working very late again.
Pretty straightforward anxiety dream, as it's close to reality. September to January was when the company did most of its business. The phones never stopped ringing thus the office guys simply didn't get time to process orders quickly enough and we would get a shedload of orders to be picked for next day delivery late on.

Given my bus obsession they would obviously feature in recurring dreams
They usually begin after work, trying to get home. All the buses have service numbers I don't know, although I somehow seem to know that they don't go anywhere near my home, which in the dreams isn't where I live anyway.
I'm now very familiar with the dream town I live in, its streets, the old fashioned bus stop where the bus will be absolutely packed, the route through a street which has old Victorian type buildings or factories.
Weird.

A very enjoyable but slightly weird dream and quite lucid too. I had the feeling that I was just dozing, when I was 'transported' to a beach. I thought: 'Great, my mind is there, but not my body!' It was a beach I never saw before and the tide was coming pretty fast. I took away a bag I left on the sand and went up on the dune, where the car park was. There was a storm brewing, if I turned toward the land, there was in the background two parallel hills of conical shape with medievalish forts on them. I knew that fact. Behind it there was a ridge of the same ochre colour as the two hills.
I was happy to be there, it was a pleasant place and I could go in the car and have a closer look to the forteresses. I was with my husband and maybe my sister. I don't know such a place in waking life and was enjoying the oniric trip when I was awakened.

John Lennon was in my dream last night, reassuring me that I didn't need to be lonely (!). He was right up in my face, too. Long hair and granny specs era.

John Lennon was in my dream last night, reassuring me that I didn't need to be lonely (!). He was right up in my face, too. Long hair and granny specs era.
So what was his solution/recommendation for avoiding loneliness?
Join a band and become rich and famous?

Dreamt last night of trying to make willow 'faggots' to seed invertebrate life in some ponds. Couldn't for the life of me recall how to make the twist tie with a withy. Had to google it this morning.

Last night in my insanest of deams I was driving a succession of Lothian Regional Transport double-decker buses towards Rosslyn Chapel, down a tight, twisting road that was not unlike Castle Street in Edinburgh, but mixed-in with the streets of Valletta, Malta.

lothian37-2-1024x683.jpg

I had to steer the buses from the upper-deck passenger seats, because the driver part of me knew that since I was asleep, this was the safest arrangement.

All strange and unattributable...

Last edited:
Speaking of strange dreams, something distinctly odd has been going on with mine. (That's saying something, but bear with me, here)

Today is Sunday, March 5th. Every night for the last three nights (so, beginning the night of March 2/3) and a few times earlier in the week (perhaps Sunday and Monday) I've woken several times per night from frightening dreams of being watched.

The sense of being watched has manifested in different ways in each dream. Sometimes it's been neighbors spying, a stranger looking through windows, an unseen presence standing directly behind me, a figure looming over my bed, etc. These are frightening enough that I wake up shivering and it's not so easy to get back to sleep, but when I do, it's likely I'll have another.

I had three such dreams during a nap this afternoon alone. :eek:

This is a highly unusual pattern and I can't think what's causing it. I don't feel I'm being watched in daily life, and there haven't been any changes in diet, medicine or anything like that that would affect sleep quality.

To make matters even more discomforting, in the most recent dream, it seemed the presence watching me was the shade of my late father-in-law. Don't know what to make of that.

I don't know what's causing these dreams, but they're beginning to freak me out.

I don't know what's causing these dreams, but they're beginning to freak me out.
Hang in there. On the off-chance it's sleep disturbance in a positive feedback loops with tiredness, have you tried avoiding cheese, red-wine and caffeine after midday?

Rather mundanely I was dreaming last night that I was in a meeting with Martin Freeman and the guy who makes the Strandlopers and during the conversation he held up a Blackberry and pointed at it. Then my Blackberry alarm went off at 6am. Only slightly Fortean but still.

... he held up a Blackberry and pointed at it. Then my Blackberry alarm went off at 6am. Only slightly Fortean but still.
possibly happened the other way round ? and at the moment your blackberry alarm sounded this was interpolated into your dream narrative ...

mind you its quite fortean that you still rock a blackberry, that defies explanation

possibly happened the other way round ? and at the moment your blackberry alarm sounded this was interpolated into your dream narrative ...

I've noted that before - it's possible it's how it's recalled rather than how it happened. It's funny how dream narratives seamlessly incorporate external events - I suspect dreams have a different meter hand 'real life'.

mind you its quite fortean that you still rock a blackberry, that defies explanation

I'm happy to provide hours of endless fun for my off-spring (and you :)) who mock my quaint ways. However, the BB has everything their Android phones have, plus a one-week battery life, 32G on internal memory (plus a 64G Micro SD), a keyboard and a device in which security is second only to iPhones. Plus I don't have to periodically reset my phone to clear all the crap out.

Although, courtesy of a SIM adaptor module I interchange the BB with an old (purple) Nokia 5510. :D

I've noted that before - it's possible it's how it's recalled rather than how it happened. It's funny how dream narratives seamlessly incorporate external events - I suspect dreams have a different meter hand 'real life'.
ive always felt that rather than being experienced as a sequential narrative series of events a dream or dreams manifest fully formed as an instant whole, so the antiquated phone alarm triggered the entire of what you think of as that dream instantaneously as a single thought, like looking at a map

mind you i did read somewhere that lucid dreams have been demonstrated as taking place real-time (and not as in inception) ...

ive always felt that rather than being experienced as a sequential narrative series of events a dream or dreams manifest fully formed as an instant whole, so the antiquated phone alarm triggered the entire of what you think of as that dream instantaneously as a single thought, like looking at a map

mind you i did read somewhere that lucid dreams have been demonstrated as taking place real-time (and not as in inception) ...
I've written dreams down and after some practise a longer joined up (and sensible) narrative does emerge, which suggests the dream is sequential to some extent as the "map" theory might be outside the capabilities of working memory to recall a narrative in that way. I think memory storage is a kind of map though, where the data and the location of the data are intertwined.

the antiquated phone alarm

thbbtt_ss.jpg
for that.

there haven't been any changes in diet,
A long shot, but....processed chicken?

As opposed to fresh, free-range local.

My late Father-in-law used to swear that eating mass-market supermarket chicken made him have horrible, paranoid dreams. Might you have, exceptionally, eaten 'city chicken' recently?

and a device in which security is second only to iPhones.
Yes, but: RIM servers/BES access. Hmmm. I'm wedded/welded to my BB, but I'd happily have it cut from me with a rusty spoon.

I think memory storage is a kind of map though, where the data and the location of the data are intertwined
Yes...agreed, in a sense. But there are snakes & ladders in there, as well

A long shot, but....processed chicken?

As opposed to fresh, free-range local.

My late Father-in-law used to swear that eating mass-market supermarket chicken made him have horrible, paranoid dreams. Might you have, exceptionally, eaten 'city chicken' recently?
l

City chicken, lol. :D But no, no dietary changes at all.

Had another of those dreams last night again. This one more detailed and more disturbing.

I was the victim of a serial killer, reliving my last days and moments trying to figure out how I had been caught by the killer. I was running through various sections of woods, knowing the killer was out there somewhere. I happened upon a particular area which I recognized as the site where my body had been found. I decided I'd better get out of there, but upon turning around, came face-to-face with the killer in a clearing.

It turned out the killer was a woman, fairly young and a little plump, with longish dark hair. Not someone I immediately recognized from real life. If she looked like anyone I could name, it would be Meg White, from The White Stripes. I have nothing against Meg White at all, so no idea why the killer resembled her. Though I do get the feeling this woman represents someone I know, just appearing in a different guise.

In the dream, I cursed myself for my foolishness, having run back to the site of my own death. Then I woke up with the shivers again.

Whatever's going on, I'm sure it's psychological. Perhaps I'm unconsciously picking up something that's wrong in my environment.

City chicken, lol. :D But no, no dietary changes at all.

Had another of those dreams last night again. This one more detailed and more disturbing.

I was the victim of a serial killer, reliving my last days and moments trying to figure out how I had been caught by the killer. I was running through various sections of woods, knowing the killer was out there somewhere. I happened upon a particular area which I recognized as the site where my body had been found. I decided I'd better get out of there, but upon turning around, came face-to-face with the killer in a clearing.

It turned out the killer was a woman, fairly young and a little plump, with longish dark hair. Not someone I immediately recognized from real life. If she looked like anyone I could name, it would be Meg White, from The White Stripes. I have nothing against Meg White at all, so no idea why the killer resembled her. Though I do get the feeling this woman represents someone I know, just appearing in a different guise.

In the dream, I cursed myself for my foolishness, having run back to the site of my own death. Then I woke up with the shivers again.

Whatever's going on, I'm sure it's psychological. Perhaps I'm unconsciously picking up something that's wrong in my environment.
Do you watch CSI type murder/rape dramas on TV ? ... my Mrs loves them but they're to grim and depressing for me.

Back