• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Fish(?) That Wash Ashore

Really not sure what that 'fish' carcass could be, the description doesnt fit any known species of bony fish, the heaviest being a Sunfish at around 2 tons and 3m (10.5 ft approx) and the longest being an Oarfish at 15m (50 ft approx) long but only weighing approx 544kg, the Oarfish averages 7.2m (23ft approx) but only weighs in at 270kg

The CSIP man thinks possibly a basking shark. The headline says 4 tonnes although how they come up with this figure I don't know. Could be just Mirror guesswork. Oarfish can weigh up to 300 kg if you look up online - they're relatively slender..
Judging by the footprints in the sand for a sense of scale I’m pretty sure that weighs a lot less than four tonnes.

Judging by the footprints in the sand for a sense of scale I’m pretty sure that weighs a lot less than four tonnes.
Yes, it doesn't look like 23 feet long.

Yes, looking at the photo, 4 tonnes looks like an exaggeration. Re length, if that is it's backbone curling round, it could be 23 ft long - hard to tell. It'll be interesting to see what the NHM/London Zoo have to say - hope the outcome will be reported.

The local marine group is pretty certain it's a basking shark. According to Marcus Hemmler, there was also a carcass in Wales discovered last December.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 10.38.31 AM.png

Oarfish washed up on beach in Peru

4 metres long.
It was still alive when beachgoers tried to help it back out to sea but desperately trying to breathe through its gills. Despite the best efforts of locals, it died on the shore on Cancas Beach in Punta Sal, Peru.

Images show two men dragging the long fish back into the water in front of a large group of onlookers, including dozens of children.
video at link.

1690373596308.png

It seems like every one of these oarfish stories must now include "earthquake omen" as a theme even though the scary threat doesn't happen. What a shitty headline:

Horror as 'earthquake omen' fish washes up on beach leaving locals terrified​

The oarfish – dubbed a "harbinger of doom" – measured 13 feet (4 metres) in length and was still alive when beachgoers tried to help it back out to sea at Cancas Beach in Punta Sal, Peru

It seems like every one of these oarfish stories must now include "earthquake omen" as a theme even though the scary threat doesn't happen. What a shitty headline:

Horror as 'earthquake omen' fish washes up on beach leaving locals terrified​

The oarfish – dubbed a "harbinger of doom" – measured 13 feet (4 metres) in length and was still alive when beachgoers tried to help it back out to sea at Cancas Beach in Punta Sal, Peru
Yes, I thought I’d leave that shite out.

Yes, I thought I’d leave that shite out.
Wonder if there ever was anything to it? Seismic disturbance at sea causing the fish to beach or be washed ashore followed by some sort of associated 'quake on land.

AFAIK Oarfish aren't that common so it would only need to happen once to be remembered; even if lots of other stuff was washed up at the same time.

Probably more likely to just be shite though!

Edited to make slightly more sense.

Back