• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Folk (Not Obviously Human!)

carole said:
Formidable, no, but scary, yes, because seeing something like that would be so totally unexpected . . .

Carole's comment highlights an interesting facet of our psychology, as adults at least: why is everything that is unfamiliar or surprising automatically perceived as 'scary'?

There is the obvious answer that a stance of caution & vigilance is the safest for the organism - treat as potentially harmful until proven otherwise. But is that the same as fear? We can be on-guard and ready for Fight or Flight without the adrenalin rush, although admittedly this is the most effective means of achieving that level of concentration and reaction.

But that approach is a long way from that of young children or animals, which often exhibit unfearful curiosity toward the unfamilar - until they learn otherwise.

And there's the clue. Our fear is a learned response. We learn, almost irrationally, to fear the unknown, often in spite of no proven threat, whether it be ghosts, stick men or harmless phobias.

It was G. K. Chesterton, I think, who said: "I don't believe in ghosts - but I'm afraid of them."

I suspect the fear reaction really stems from the Unknown's threat toward our closeted personal world views. It forces us to become flexible again in our thinking, and not rely on our tidy & comfortable, but restrictive view of the universe. And that, I submit, may be their very function - to break us out of the box of our own thinking. And with that achieved, there really is no need to provide proof of their existence, or even very frequent exposure. The task is accomplished - our minds are freed to relate to the universe again with a re-opened sense of wonder and healthy curiosity.

My mum has seen a pixie (or a pixie like person). She went to a shop to sort out about getting her aura photo taken. When she went in the shop there was this small man in a bowler hat (I think). He had pixie like features. He was talking to the shop owner. He said he was 90, had never been to the shop before but came to say how wonderful it was. He gave the owner (who was present when he first arrived) a bag full of stuff (crystals ect.). Then he left, both mum and the shop owner looked outside the shop right after he had left and he was nowhere to be seen.
Apparently the owner had wished for her fairy godmother to come and look after her. Look like she got a fairy god father instead.

luce

Why should the man be a pixie?

He could well be a midget, from the description you give & have heard about the shop & traveled to visit it!!!

He did happen to disappear once he left the shop. He was nowhere to be seen outside.

luce

Maybe he got into a taxi or something . . .

Carole

If so then said taxi which would of been outside would of been waiting for him. My mum went into the shop not long before he left and she never mentioned a taxi waiting outside. And if in the off chance it came just after she went into the shop then it must of left quick after he left the shop (and I mean really quick). No taxi's where seen in the area at the time of his disappearance.

luce

sounds more like a gnome than a pixie, as gnomes are more geologicaly inclined(an earth type being) pixies are more woodland oriented, either way distinctly odd. Any idea what else aside from crystals was in the bag?

Wm.

But a gnome/pixie in a bowler hat??

Carole

I think assuming he is a pixie on those grounds mght seem a bit much. But I can understand she got spooked a bit by it. But if the guy was into New Age and all that cr*p, maybe he deliberatly tried to look like a pixie. If you're only one meter tall, you might as well get the best out of it. But what exactly was in the bag he gave her, what kind of crystals?

Correction - he was infact wearing a trilby and not a bowler hat.

luce

My friend says that one time he was walking home late one night when he heard a noise above him. There was a human shaped figure on a roof of a house. It was sort of crouched and covered in hair . It was the size of a human and looked human except for being covered with hair .Obviously freaked out my friend began to run and the figure followed across the roof tops , very fast and pouncing quite long distances from one to another. When my friend got to the end of the street where he lived , he glanced up and the figure was gone.

It wasn't an escaped orang-outang, was it? Or Spring Heeled Jack in a monkey suit??

:eek:

Carole

Re: Black shadowy thing

Originally posted by JackSkellington 29/09/01
... They both saw a "black shape" hovering in the tree outside, which one of them described as the most evil thing he'd ever seen, calling it "the Grim Reaper". it then swooped out of view, and left them petrified. ...

This and the last post remind me very strongly about the legends of Black Annis who hides in trees springing down to kill with her filthy black nails. Used to have nightmares about her.

My son and his father swear they saw a man with a dog's head driving a car down the high street a few years ago , they said if it was a mask it was very realistic . Don't recall ever seeing any odd people myself though ( beyond the usual local stuff )

theres a thread about "dogheaded men" in "It Happened To Me".

Other odd small humanoids seen by the roadside:

- A line of small mumbling creatures walking along the roadside, which ignored witness.
- A pair of entities with close fitting clothes, melon-shaped heads, and eyes which radiated soft beams of light.
- the 'Dover Demon'.
- entities with frog-like heads, apparently digging up road surface, one carrying a rod or chain which gave off sparks.
- single entity with odd clothing, with some sort of machinery on it's chest, had small flap-like wings instead of arms.

I'm taking these from memory, but can give more details (date, location, etc.) if needed.

JerryB said:
- A line of small mumbling creatures walking along the roadside, which ignored witness.
TBH jerry i can;t get much from the description, care to expand?

by the way this must be the most fascinating thread i have ever come across

As I said, this was recounted from memory. I can dig out the info over the weekend and post it as soon as poss'.

There's an interesting genetic condition called Williams Syndrome, also know as Elfin Face Syndrome. People with it have a sort of elfin face (well obviously), and learning disabilities. They are usually very charming, with an afinity for music. Some have speculated that they may have been the origin of fairy legends.

Jerry B's "other odd small humanoids"

I am intrigued by the:
- entities with frog-like heads, apparently digging up road surface, one carrying a rod or chain which gave off sparks.
Please provide more info on that as well, when you get a chance, Jerry B.

I've always wanted to see a dog-headed or other animal-headed entity. Animal-headed people are much harder to explain, unless one buys into that old Scooby-Doo "it's a man in a mask!" gambit. I suppose those skeptics would only be satisfied if you tried to take off the entity's face, but failed.

Monster-hunters sure don't have it easy. Stories can be explained, photos can be doctored. I guess there's only one way to go in this business: a literal application of habeas corpus.

beakboo said:
There's an interesting genetic condition called Williams Syndrome, also know as Elfin Face Syndrome. People with it have a sort of elfin face (well obviously), and learning disabilities. They are usually very charming, with an afinity for music. Some have speculated that they may have been the origin of fairy legends.

Wow, Beak, I googled that and it sounds like my greengrocer. And like Ted's pizza gnomes, too.

Ted, check out the list of signs on this site:
http://www.southalabama.edu/genetics/clinicwi.htm

I got a few mental wires crossed with my recall, but here's more info:

1919 - 13-year old boy on road at night saw 20 small entities walking towards him in a single file. They had bald heads, white skins, wore leather 'knee-pants' held up by braces on their shoulders. They were mumbling but not talking to each other, and paid no attention to witness (Barrow, Wisconsin).
1955 - woman driving at night saw 3 entities, 3 and a half-4 feet tall, grey in colour, wearing capes, and huddled in the road which they were apparently digging into with a stick. They had large eyes, which reflected red, long pointed nose, small mouth, and with short legs (nr. Stockton, Georgia).
1955 - truck driver travelling at night saw a trio of 3-foot tall entities with greyish frog-like faces kneeling by the road. Driver stopped and approached but one entity carrying a dark chain or stick giving off sparks seemed to be signalling him to stop. He watched for 3 minutes, then suddenly found himself back driving his truck (nr. Branch Hill, Ohio).
1960 - woman driving at night saw 3-foot tall entity, with broad shoulders, long arms, dark in colour, head shaped like a flattened ball, with yellowish-orange glowing eyes that seemed to project small amount of light (nr. Globe, Arizona).
1971 - two groups of teenagers saw entity 3 to 4 feet tall, watermelon shaped head, thin neck, thin body, peach-coloured skin, long fingers and toes, eyes 'like two orange marbles'. Entity later dubbed the 'Dover Demon' (Dover, Mass.).

I was walking down the High Street in Glastonbury some years ago. It was August, still the height of tourist season. I was with my husband and a close personal friend and we used to visit Glastonbury quite frequently, back before Deacons turned into the Global Cafe and long before Star Child expanded. Before that overly-expensive crystal shop at the back of the Glastonbury Experience (was thrown out of that shop once, but that is another story) opened, and it was still possible to get a cup of tea and death by chocolate, Glastonbury wasn't quite the hellish place to visit as it is now. If I have to go back for any reason these days, I'm in and out of there as quickly as possible. Now it's full of tourists and folk who have jumped on the Neo-Pagan Wiccan bandwagon, who light candles in longbarrows at the full moon and have only ever read books published by Llewellyn.

This happened before all that really took hold in Glastonbury, so I suppose I shouldn't have been overly surprised.

I was on the left side of the street going down the hill, just past Deacons, indeed, when I was passed by a man going in the opposite direction. Sometimes someone passing will be unusual enough to make you do a double take, but as this man came within three feet of me I stopped dead. There was nothing there. He had a physical presence, alright, was obeying conservation of mass in that I knew that I could bump into him, but apart from sight, every sense and feeling was telling me that there was a great, gaping hole where he was walking. That somehow space had been subtracted from the world where he existed. His face was completely blank, featureless - I only say he was a man by the general build of his shoulders and limbs, and the fact that he was around 6 feet tall. He wore a long, dark grey coat of a thin material, not really a mac but not dissimilar, black boots like Dr Martens, and his clothes were dark - other than that I couldn't really describe him. There was nothing there to describe. He didn't look like a hologram; for a brief instant I entertained the notion that he was made of anti-matter, although it did and still does seem utterly implausible.

He looked at me, I think, although it was difficult to tell with no eyes, and I had this sudden realisation that he had seen me see him, knew that I had seen him as he was, not as an ordinary person, and for a brief moment I felt inutterably afraid because there was a sudden flash of anger that felt like someone had punched me in the gut.

Then my husband took my arm and led me away, thinking I had been distracted by some piece of tat in a shop that he had no intention of letting me buy. I still think I had a lucky escape, but from what I have no idea.

Sam

low-folk talk

around here in south louisiana, the poorer or lower class folk believe in and talk about a creature called(and this is the best i can spell it since it's either french-creole or french-cajun and is very corrupt in spelling) Koosh-Ma, which is basically another word for the Devil. he is tiny, like a gnome, and i heard he will come and walk on your face when you sleep(among other things). a lot of people here whole-heartedly believe in him body and soul...people will even scold you for making a light about him and say "you'd better not mess with the Koosh-Ma cuz he'll come for you!"

i've also heard lots of stories of the Virgin Mary making beds float and lights appear. plus, the conviction with which these stories were told to me is just astounding.

Re: low-folk talk

synthwerk said:
"you'd better not mess with the Koosh-Ma cuz he'll come for you!"
Possibly from French Cauchemer, meaning 'Nightmare'.

FINALLY!!!

THANK YOU! i've been searching for the root! the french spoken here is so different from proper french...it's hard to get actual word sources.

it's so clear now :)

Back