Strange Folk

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Discovered this by accident. It's great!

In 2001, a peculiar individual who was capable of fascinating feats of creativity was discovered by the Something Awful forums. What follows is the story of Nick Smith, AKA "Ulillillia"

https://ulillillia.fandom.com/wiki/Ulillillia
  • Mirrors - Ulillillia's most famous fear. Ulillillia cannot stand directly in front of a mirror. This has often forced him to make long detours when walking places.
  • The number 22 - Ulillillia considers this number to be unlucky.
  • "People" and "person" - Ulillillia cannot speak, write or type these two words. This fear originated suddenly when he heard the word "people" used on a cartoon at a young age. He does not normally mind hearing these words used by others, although in school he felt obliged to scratch the words out whenever they appeared in textbooks.
  • Chairs - Ulillillia refuses to sit in chairs and prefers to sit on the floor. Benches and booths are acceptable, however, as are seats in moving vehicles. This fear only began after he left high school.
  • Stairs - Ulillillia does not walk up stairs but scales them as if they were an insurmountable hill. This also involves a catapult-like use of his backpack, which might provide him with inertia. Allegedly, he has no trouble going down stairs, and no trouble with stairs whatsoever in his Mind Game.
  • Unfamiliar silverware - He cannot use silverware with a widening handle. He can only use forks, spoons, and knives which have a straight handle.
  • Spotty dishes and dirty clothes - This is a very common problem for people with OCD.
  • Waiting in line - This fear originated in elementary school. Ulillillia was bullied frequently in school, so he tried his best to avoid having anyone behind him in line in fear of being harassed from behind. He allowed anybody who got on line after him to take his place.
  • Whistling - Ulillillia cannot handle the sound of a person whistling. To the best of his recollection, he believes this is because he was forced to whistle during a song in an elementary school music class, much to his disdain. If he hears a person whistling, he will request that that person stop. If they continue, he will ask one more time. If the person continues to disregard Ulillillia's compulsive needs, he will leave earshot.
  • Bicycles - Ulillillia has mentioned in passing that he is afraid of riding a bicycle.
One of his books:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8593843.The_Legend_of_the_10_Elemental_Masters
I hate to hear people chewing gum. I wonder if he did too?

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
So depressing when people don't respect their animals as the animals they really are.
At least the flight attendants could take measures. The poor cat was stuck with a stupid person!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
The attempted burglary is incidental (unless NatWest were behind it) to the strangeness of this tale.

A sacked bank worker who keeps the financial details of 1,600 customers hidden under her bed has said her house was targeted in an attempted burglary.

The woman is in a long-running dispute with NatWest over the documents, which have been kept at her home in Southampton for more than 10 years. She said she immediately felt panicked about what might happen to the data when the two men tried to access her property on the night of 12 February.

Police said they were investigating.

The woman, who asked to remain anonymous because she fears being targeted by thieves again, said she was sent home with the data as part of her job selling mortgages.

She was dismissed in 2009 for gross misconduct for failing to give customer information back to the bank, and the two parties have reached a stalemate over the terms of the data's return. The documents include account details belonging to customers in Hampshire, Dorset, Berkshire, London, Bristol, Surrey, Essex, Herefordshire and the West Midlands, the woman said.

She said this led to an impasse with the bank over the wording of a receipt that would have allowed the documents to be returned. The bank said the woman had demanded money in exchange for the documents, an allegation she strongly denies.

A new offer from the bank is now on the table but the woman said she was upset it did not include an apology.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-60506224

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
In the shop the other night. My boss came over the headphones muttering darkly about 'people'...

It turned out that she (boss) had been standing stocking the freezers, when someone came up to her and asked if we had any lasagnes, in single portions. Boss pulls out the box of frozen lasagne portions and the customer said 'yes, like that, only not frozen'. Boss tries to direct customer to the fridges, but customer is adamant that they must be 'from here' (ie, the freezer). Boss quietly went spare trying to explain why you're not going to be able to buy refrigerated lasagne from the frozen section of the shop.

Customer was, apparently, not even elderly (we are quite used to dealing with customers in the early stages of dementia, who can't quite make sense of things at times).

Tunn11

Abominable Snowman
Remember our Local Studies Librarian many years ago (1970s) suffering a tirade from a teacher because he couldn't provide an aerial photograph of Roman London for one of her lesons! Drawings and artist's impressions were not acceptable it had to be a photograph.
God help us that woman was teaching children.:doh:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Remember our Local Studies Librarian many years ago (1970s) suffering a tirade from a teacher because he couldn't provide an aerial photograph of Roman London for one of her lesons! Drawings and artist's impressions were not acceptable it had to be a photograph.
God help us that woman was teaching children.:doh:
That teacher must have thought Doctor Who was real.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
In the shop the other night. My boss came over the headphones muttering darkly about 'people'...
I was at Aldgate Station (still a mature student) waiting for an afternoon train home when one of the station Staff came over. He'd had a few drinks as it was his last day, but reckoned it was OK to talk to me "because of my shoes" (trainers ?). Two minutes into the chat a young lady came up and ask how to get to Kingsway. He explained she needed to get a train to Liverpool Street and then change to Holborn and then - "No", she said, "how do I get to Kingsway !" He patiently explained again she need a train to Liverpool Street and then change to Holborn .. she looked at us both as though we were idiots - "No, how to I get a train to Kingsway FROM HERE". Summoning the last of his customer respect he explained she should get the next Met train and tell the driver to jump the tracks ... she walked off at that point but I wasn't convinced she understood. Glance from the Staff on his last day said it all.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
She was dismissed in 2009 for gross misconduct

A new offer from the bank is now on the table but the woman said she was upset it did not include an apology.

giphy.gif

maximus otter

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Here is a nice writeup of a meeting with the math genius Alexandre Grothendieck:

When he seemed totally unmoved by my getting out the bakery box from my bag and told me again to leave, I returned to the gate.

I explained that I had climbed the gate to get in, but when he didn’t react at all, I thought (nonsensically, I now realize) that he wanted me to climb back over the gate to prove to him that this was indeed how I entered his yard. But, the ground under the gate was sloped so that the fence was significantly higher from the inside, and I was shaking from the huge influx of adrenaline that I was experiencing. After a few horribly embarrassing failed attempts at pushing myself back over the gate, during which all I could think, over and over, was “Alexander Grothendieck is watching me” (which he was, with what I might describe, in retrospect, as detached bemusement), I asked him to unlock the gate.

However, he stood totally still and silent, like my own personal Ghost of Christmas Future, and then told me, once more, to get out. I thought I had better not fail at this next attempt. I tossed my bag, hat, and scarf over, did a bit of a run up, and vaulted inelegantly over, smacking my shin hard on the gate on the way. Seeing the bruise later helped me convince myself that I had not dreamed up this entire episode.

Once he had seen me leave his yard, I thought that Grothendieck might just walk off, but I decided to wait. He did as well, and we studied each other from opposite sides of the gate for a moment. We were a similar height, and his blue eyes were alert and focused.

Grothendieck asked me not angrily, but a bit sternly, in French, how I knew his address and how I had gotten there. He told me again that I should not have come in, and should not have disturbed him in his “cloˆıtre”, which reinforced the impression given by the brown robe he wore that he thought of himself, in some sense, as a monk.

When I was given the address, I had said I wouldn’t tell Grothendieck how I came by it, so I just watched him silently during this monologue, looking shocked.

More here:
https://webusers.imj-prg.fr/~leila.schneps/grothendieckcircle/Katrina.pdf

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Here is a nice writeup of a meeting with the math genius Alexandre Grothendieck:

When he seemed totally unmoved by my getting out the bakery box from my bag and told me again to leave, I returned to the gate.

I explained that I had climbed the gate to get in, but when he didn’t react at all, I thought (nonsensically, I now realize) that he wanted me to climb back over the gate to prove to him that this was indeed how I entered his yard. But, the ground under the gate was sloped so that the fence was significantly higher from the inside, and I was shaking from the huge influx of adrenaline that I was experiencing. After a few horribly embarrassing failed attempts at pushing myself back over the gate, during which all I could think, over and over, was “Alexander Grothendieck is watching me” (which he was, with what I might describe, in retrospect, as detached bemusement), I asked him to unlock the gate.

However, he stood totally still and silent, like my own personal Ghost of Christmas Future, and then told me, once more, to get out. I thought I had better not fail at this next attempt. I tossed my bag, hat, and scarf over, did a bit of a run up, and vaulted inelegantly over, smacking my shin hard on the gate on the way. Seeing the bruise later helped me convince myself that I had not dreamed up this entire episode.

Once he had seen me leave his yard, I thought that Grothendieck might just walk off, but I decided to wait. He did as well, and we studied each other from opposite sides of the gate for a moment. We were a similar height, and his blue eyes were alert and focused.

Grothendieck asked me not angrily, but a bit sternly, in French, how I knew his address and how I had gotten there. He told me again that I should not have come in, and should not have disturbed him in his “cloˆıtre”, which reinforced the impression given by the brown robe he wore that he thought of himself, in some sense, as a monk.

When I was given the address, I had said I wouldn’t tell Grothendieck how I came by it, so I just watched him silently during this monologue, looking shocked.

More here:

And another one, also good:

I had written about my background. That I was a Muslim from Iran. He said that he also believed in God, but he didn't follow any "traditional" religion. I had written about my feelings towards the mathematical community and that I shared some of the feelings he had when he left the community.

When the letter was finished and he saw his portrait on the verso, he was quick to ask where I had obtained his picture. I was not sure how much he knew about Internet. I told him that I had downloaded it from the website GrothendieckCircle. He was very displeased to hear it. He told me that he had requested the responsible people to take down the site.

I assured him that the site was indeed inactive. I wanted to tell him that it was thanks to this site that many people (including myself) got to know more about him and that it was such a valuable source for his legacy, but I decided to let him be the speaker. He asked how I had obtained his address. I explained.

He also asked if I was alone and if I had driven all the way from Zurich. When I told him that my spouse and I (and only the two of us) drove from Zurich to meet him, he was very touched, and thanked us. I think he did not realize what position he occupied in the heart of so many passionate mathematicians, for whom Mathematics was not everything, and saw Grothendieck not just as a great mathematician, but as an
activist, a rebel and a person of principles.

https://webusers.imj-prg.fr/~leila.schneps/grothendieckcircle/Mohammad.pdf

catseye

More here:
To be fair, though, if someone uninvited and unexpectedly turned up in my garden, I would probably behave similarly. Just repeating 'get out'.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
To be fair, though, if someone uninvited and unexpectedly turned up in my garden, I would probably behave similarly. Just repeating 'get out'.
It appears that this thread has for a good while now deviated from the original intention of the O/P. So I'll carry on in the same vein and as your 'garden' comment reminded me;

This guy has always interested me. Curt Claudio.

Curt travelled from California and spent time sleeping in John Lennon's garden at his Tittenhurst residence (near Mytho) in May 1971.
He was a clever guy, but had taken a bit too much lsd by all accounts.

A good account here (although note; he was not a Vietnam veteran as is stated).

John spoke to him for a while and then invited him in for something to eat.

https://johnlennon.com/news/curt-claudio/

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
It appears that this thread has for a good while now deviated from the original intention of the O/P. So I'll carry on in the same vein and as your 'garden' comment reminded me;

This guy has always interested me. Curt Claudio.

Curt travelled from California and spent time sleeping in John Lennon's garden at his Tittenhurst residence (near Mytho) in May 1971.
He was a clever guy, but had taken a bit too much lsd by all accounts.

A good account here (although note; he was not a Vietnam veteran as is stated).

John spoke to him for a while and then invited him in for something to eat.

https://johnlennon.com/news/curt-claudio/
That was on our tv some years ago, how impressive that John Lennon invited him in, just like a regular person, saying 'he was just a guy who wrote songs'.
Unbelievable.

skinny

Mister Pissy Piss
Oh yeah I remember that from the Imagine doco. I had the same response. How could a pop culture icon be so ... neighborly?

I adore Lennon. Recall the day he died. I was in the front seat of the car in our tiny rural town. Da was driving and had the midday news on the radio. I wondered why Da pulled over and stopped and turned up the volume and was staring straight ahead and I knew something was wrong. I looked around for the issue at hand (must've been 9yo or so) and not seeing anything out of the ordinary I asked him what's up?. He just held his hand up in that way Dads do to silence kids. Eventually he told me who John was and why he was important and how sad this event was. I don't recall where we were going at the time but I clearly remember where we were stopped right next to the Catholic church. I guess it was about then I started paying attention to pop music and dragging out my folks' vinyl records.

Sure could do with more of his kind these days. He was like our Ghandi. Born leader. Yet humble. Strange person, himself.

Soz for the minor derail.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Oh yeah I remember that from the Imagine doco. I had the same response. How could a pop culture icon be so ... neighborly?

I adore Lennon. Recall the day he died. I was in the front seat of the car in our tiny rural town. Da was driving and had the midday news on the radio. I wondered why Da pulled over and stopped and turned up the volume and was staring straight ahead and I knew something was wrong. I looked around for the issue at hand (must've been 9yo or so) and not seeing anything out of the ordinary I asked him what's up?. He just held his hand up in that way Dads do to silence kids. Eventually he told me who John was and why he was important and how sad this event was. I don't recall where we were going at the time but I clearly remember where we were stopped right next to the Catholic church. I guess it was about then I started paying attention to pop music and dragging out my folks' vinyl records.

Sure could do with more of his kind these days. He was like our Ghandi. Born leader. Yet humble. Strange person, himself.

Soz for the minor derail.
Great story. We love a derail. Well I do.

skinny

Mister Pissy Piss
Whait is it with French and their cake? Oy vey.

Man smears Mona Lisa casing with cake before being arrested at The Louvre​

Key points:

• The man entered the Louvre in a wheelchair, wearing lipstick and a wig
  • Protective glass meant the Mona Lisa was not damaged
  • Da Vinci's famous painting has been attacked many times over the years
8bfa9b377fb2f34accd3e4249b7fdef9

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-30/mona-lisa-attacked-cake-louvre/101111958

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Today I had a very strange experience. In our Catholic parish we have more churches than priests, so from time to time a service is led by lay persons. I'm one of them. Today was the feast of Trinity Sunday, so I made an appropriate liturgy and sermon. I even quoted some poets and saints. I saw a new person in church who was looking quite skeptical through all this. I'm ok with that, because I assume I'm at most a tolerable, but probably mediocre, speaker.

But then at Holy Communion I distributed the Eucharist (consecrated by a "real" priest, previous Sunday) and the procedure is meant to go like this:
I: "The body of Christ"
Recipient: "Amen"

But with thjs new person it went like this:
Recipient: "Would you really think so?"

To explain for non-Catholics: We have this thing called "presentia realis", which means that the Eucharist is really the body of Christ (Protestants don't agree with this). So a remark like this, at this moment, is either blasphemy or insensitive trolling. And then, after the service this same person critiqued my sermon for being totally within tradition and lacking any sharp edges or doubts.

Well ... and now I'm half exaggerating for theatrical effect and trolling :cool: and I'm half serious ... I see some possible interpretations:
Either it's the Holy Ghost telling me to stretch my boundaries.
Or it's the Evil One tempting me to stray.
But also it just might be a random weird person :)

As my friends the Jesuits say ... this will need some discernment.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Today I had a very strange experience. In our Catholic parish we have more churches than priests, so from time to time a service is led by lay persons. I'm one of them. Today was the feast of Trinity Sunday, so I made an appropriate liturgy and sermon. I even quoted some poets and saints. I saw a new person in church who was looking quite skeptical through all this. I'm ok with that, because I assume I'm at most a tolerable, but probably mediocre, speaker.

But then at Holy Communion I distributed the Eucharist (consecrated by a "real" priest, previous Sunday) and the procedure is meant to go like this:

To explain for non-Catholics: We have this thing called "presentia realis", which means that the Eucharist is really the body of Christ (Protestants don't agree with this). So a remark like this, at this moment, is either blasphemy or insensitive trolling. And then, after the service this same person critiqued my sermon for being totally within tradition and lacking any sharp edges or doubts.
Sometimes, you may get a non-Catholic visiting your church.
My Mum's a baptist, but she has been known to visit churches of other denominations.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...

Well ... and now I'm half exaggerating for theatrical effect and trolling :cool: and I'm half serious ... I see some possible interpretations:

As far as I'm aware uair:, a Lay persons job is to confirm the scriptures, not to hammer numerous tenets on Kirk doors.

And this person attitude tells me more about your character, rather than theirs.

Shine on mate.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient

We have a concept of "a blessed avatar of the Buddha who uses devices to emancipate you..." so I'm voting for a trial by the Holy Ghost. Sounds like you did fine. He knew it was an RC church.

catseye

No. She is polite and respectful.
Which is what makes @uair01 's experience so odd. Most people I know who pop into churches (even myself, on occasion) without sunscribing to the religion that is being practiced within, are polite and respectful. Someone coming purely to heckle the lay preacher is very strange indeed.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Which is what makes @uair01 's experience so odd. Most people I know who pop into churches (even myself, on occasion) without sunscribing to the religion that is being practiced within, are polite and respectful. Someone coming purely to heckle the lay preacher is very strange indeed.
Indeed. I would not do this either, and I'm an atheist.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The minister at my local church was heckled a few years ago during the Christmas midnight service by a man who had to be escorted from the premises. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
My Mum was Protestant, my Dad Roman Catholic, I was brought up Catholic.
They took us to all the different churches - Presbyterian, Baptist, Polish National Catholic, quite a variety.
They are all basically the same, however I find the Roman Catholic church to be more of a business than most, and do not attend.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Ronnie Jersey my parents were the same as yours but I was brought up Protestant.
I attended till my girls had a good grounding but became disillusioned when there was little of the Bible and more of the talk about buying houses for investment etc.
I still do believe in God just not the organisations.

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
Ronnie Jersey my parents were the same as yours but I was brought up Protestant.
I attended till my girls had a good grounding but became disillusioned when there was little of the Bible and more of the talk about buying houses for investment etc.
I still do believe in God just not the organisations.
Very disillusioning - one of my Aunts was a nun, she left. Very unhappy with the whole thing.