Strange Folk

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Not sure that this is 'strange folk' in the Fortean sense, but has anyone ever met someone who seems to disagree with everything you say even if it's pure fact and in any case it's something that you have experienced for yourself? Almost like they'd say it was day if you said it was night?

(I'm not speaking of two people who just happen to disagree on a certain topic/belief or are telling someone they've seen a ufo/ghost etc).

I've had incidences with at least two people who fit this description and it really is annoying to say the least.

One was a young Egyptian woman. We were talking about the Suez canal and I mentioned how, on the second time I'd crossed it, (at night) years before, we didn't use the tunnel, but instead, the bus got onto a rickety old ferry and we crossed that way (I just thought this was the usual practise at certain times of day, as I'd only used the tunnel once before, in daytime a couple of weeks earlier).

She replied that ''No, you wouldn't have done that- why would you have done that when there's a tunnel''? I told her I didn't know why *(I do know now), but that's what we did. ''No, you're mistaken'' she said, ''that wouldn't have happened''..... I gave up with her in the end and left her to her opinions. A very infuriating person.

*(The reason was that the tunnel had sprung a leak).

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
Not sure that this is 'strange folk' in the Fortean sense, but has anyone ever met someone who seems to disagree with everything you say even if it's pure fact and in any case it's something that you have experienced for yourself? Almost like they'd say it was day if you said it was night?

(I'm not speaking of two people who just happen to disagree on a certain topic/belief or are telling someone they've seen a ufo/ghost etc).

I've had incidences with at least two people who fit this description and it really is annoying to say the least.

One was a young Egyptian woman. We were talking about the Suez canal and I mentioned how, on the second time I'd crossed it, (at night) years before, we didn't use the tunnel, but instead, the bus got onto a rickety old ferry and we crossed that way (I just thought this was the usual practise at certain times of day, as I'd only used the tunnel once before, in daytime a couple of weeks earlier).

She replied that ''No, you wouldn't have done that- why would you have done that when there's a tunnel''? I told her I didn't know why *(I do know now), but that's what we did. ''No, you're mistaken'' she said, ''that wouldn't have happened''..... I gave up with her in the end and left her to her opinions. A very infuriating person.

Yes, I have met a few people falling into that category - whether town taxes or buying a car is the subject, you are always wrong, as they patiently explain their nonsense to you.
I just leave them to their infuriating fiction. :)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I have met so many people like this that I despair. There is no way to use facts and logic constructively with such people.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
I have met so many people like this that I despair. There is no way to use facts and logic constructively with such people.
Ever come across these types Myth; I speak to a guy I know for 20 minutes or so every week or two. On at least three ocassions someone that he knows has come up and started to talk to him. When that happens, I'll say'' right 'Pete' I'll be off then, see you later''. Pete doesn't acknowledge me at all and just looks straight at the other person. I'll say again ''see you then Pete''. Nothing. Next time it happens I'll shout a bit louder and say ''Oi, you ignorant b*****d....''

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Ever come across these types Myth; I speak to a guy I know for 20 minutes or so every week or two. On at least three ocassions someone that he knows has come up and started to talk to him. When that happens, I'll say'' right 'Pete' I'll be off then, see you later''. Pete doesn't acknowledge me at all and just looks straight at the other person. I'll say again ''see you then Pete''. Nothing. Next time it happens I'll shout a bit louder and say ''Oi, you ignorant b*****d....''
That sounds incredibly rude of him to do that.
But I have encountered so many people like that, mostly working in high-tech, mostly in the Cambridge area.
I can't wait until I retire.

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
I like the ones who rattle on for 10 minutes about their life, then if I say something they suddenly have to run off. No interest whatsoever in anyone or anything else, very self-obsessed, which is ok - but the next time I bump into them, now I have to run off. :)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
My pensioner neighbour won't acknowledge me if I walk past and say good morning if she's talking to someone else. Maybe that's me being rude and she doesn't like being interrupted? .. she's normally very chatty and friendly with me and the Mrs so maybe that's just her way? ...

I used to go round and visit a local mate when he invited me, we still get on but I stopped going round because he'll be live gaming with a headset on and completely ignore you after inviting you round which I find a bit ignorant.

Coal

The Ultimate Skepticus
My next door neighbour but one did that when I was talking to the neighbour, rude fecker. That was his second strike.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
My pensioner neighbour won't acknowledge me if I walk past and say good morning if she's talking to someone else. Maybe that's me being rude and she doesn't like being interrupted? .. she's normally very chatty and friendly with me and the Mrs so maybe that's just her way? ...

I used to go round and visit a local mate when he invited me, we still get on but I stopped going round because he'll be live gaming with a headset on and completely ignore you after inviting you round which I find a bit ignorant.
Very ignorant. Like the ones who keep the TV on full blast when you visit. This is why I very rarely visit anyone.

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
Very ignorant. Like the ones who keep the TV on full blast when you visit. This is why I very rarely visit anyone.
I always had dozens of friends, every holiday I would cook up a huge feast and just everyone would come over and spend the day. We were invited to everyone's barbecues, and they were all invited to ours. Those were great times.
I visited an old friend recently, and she picked up her phone to call someone as I was talking.
We were having our car looked at the other day, around the corner from an old friend of mine who I haven't seen lately (because of the virus), and I told her I would stop by just to say hello, she said don't bother, I won't be home.
And it's not just me - Mr. R says the same thing, now we don't visit anymore.
I think things change, and people get a bit strange, as time goes on. :)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
I always had dozens of friends, every holiday I would cook up a huge feast and just everyone would come over and spend the day. We were invited to everyone's barbecues, and they were all invited to ours. Those were great times.
I visited an old friend recently, and she picked up her phone to call someone as I was talking.
We were having our car looked at the other day, around the corner from an old friend of mine who I haven't seen lately (because of the virus), and I told her I would stop by just to say hello, she said don't bother, I won't be home.
It's a bit sad when old friends can't be bothered.
I have always had to be the one who works at friendships, calling them, visiting them, etc. Yet most of them can't be bothered to call me.
I can't work it out.

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
It's a bit sad when old friends can't be bothered.
I have always had to be the one who works at friendships, calling them, visiting them, etc. Yet most of them can't be bothered to call me.
I can't work it out.
Same here, I don't understand it either - to me it seems that everyone is in their own little world and doesn't give a hoot.
And since the virus, it's worse, as if many have become housebound, working from home, etc., and you just don't see them.
There are people living on the next block from us, who I have not laid eyes on in more than a year!
I have given up calling most myself.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Have they been very isolated during the pandemic? I remember going back to work in June 2020 after three months of lockdown. Four other colleagues were there and we were all talking over each other and interrupting and all apologising because we had kind of forgotten how to interact with other people. It was very strange. If people have been like that for even longer then who knows how it has affected them?:(

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
Have they been very isolated during the pandemic? I remember going back to work in June 2020 after three months of lockdown. Four other colleagues were there and we were all talking over each other and interrupting and all apologising because we had kind of forgotten how to interact with other people. It was very strange. If people have been like that for even longer then who knows how it has affected them?:(
Yes, definitely the interruption in all our lives from that virus has had horrible effects.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Same here, I don't understand it either - to me it seems that everyone is in their own little world and doesn't give a hoot.
And since the virus, it's worse, as if many have become housebound, working from home, etc., and you just don't see them.
There are people living on the next block from us, who I have not laid eyes on in more than a year!
I have given up calling most myself.
Almost at the same time as you were writing the above I was having a very similar telephone conversation with my friend I'd not spoken to for a while. She lives in rural Wales and I'd imagined what with so many still working from home her village would have developed a good community feel but nope not a bit of it if anything things have gone into reverse! She imagined that living in a small town things would be less lonely for me ... wrong again.

As @Min Bannister says the measures we were encouraged to take to deal with during the height of the virus have affected us in many ways. As a retiree I didn't have a job to go back to, it was interesting to read about how people were reacting to each other. It's not just a case of picking up where we left off as if nothing has happened.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
I agree with @Ronnie Jersey and @Sollywos

In the UK we have had relative social freedom since late February.
Though into late March we had very high infection rates.

But since they have declined in May, my social life has been very quiet.

I have tried to get people to make arrangements, but they won't.

I cannot understand , because we currently have warm evenings, which for London are rare, and it is wise to make the most of them.

I am puzzled.

Perhaps people are really also worried about spending money?

But the activities I suggest cost very little.
( A walk, a couple of pints sitting outside.)

I can only guess people got very psychologically damaged by the lockdowns, and society at large doesn't realise it yet.

Last edited:

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
I cannot understand , because we currently have warm evenings, which for London are rare, and it is wise to make the most of them.

I am puzzled.

Perhaps people are really also worried about spending money?

But the activities I suggest cost very little.

I can only guess people got very psychologically damaged by the lockdowns, and society at large doesn't realise it yet.
And it would be great to get together outside when it's warm and get some fresh air!
And it doesn't cost anything to do that.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient

Some people just have to be right all of the time. My wife and I operate a retail shop and have done so for the past ten years. Generally, we take Tuesdays and Wednesdays off as our weekends. Sometimes however, it's necessary for us to work those days if one of our staff is ill or away.
There are customers who only come in on those days and will say to us ''Are you new owners?'' and when we explain, no, we're not, we simply don't work on the days they come in, they will not accept that answer, insisting that our manager on those days is the owner.
At the end of the day, their opinion makes no difference, but you could argue with them until the cows come home and you still wouldn't change them.

Last edited:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Some people are like dementia patients, it's easier to pretend to agree with them.
One former friend, more of an acquaintance now, comes out with things I know cannot possibly be correct and cannot be dissuaded ,so I just bite my tongue now and we only communicate occasionally now by phone.

skinny

Mister Pissy Piss
Some people are like dementia patients, it's easier to pretend to agree with them.
One former friend, more of an acquaintance now, comes out with things I know cannot possibly be correct and cannot be dissuaded ,so I just bite my tongue now and we only communicate occasionally now by phone.
I now work retail after nearly 20 years as a teacher in various capacities. I have learned to bite down hard on my acid tongue. The general public seems very fucked in the head. I LOVE when a normal person engages with me - we seem to be a diminishing minority, us brainy folk. This is not cynical. I think the demographic is diminishing by the month. It's fkn sad.

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
Almost at the same time as you were writing the above I was having a very similar telephone conversation with my friend I'd not spoken to for a while. She lives in rural Wales and I'd imagined what with so many still working from home her village would have developed a good community feel but nope not a bit of it if anything things have gone into reverse! She imagined that living in a small town things would be less lonely for me ... wrong again.

As @Min Bannister says the measures we were encouraged to take to deal with during the height of the virus have affected us in many ways. As a retiree I didn't have a job to go back to, it was interesting to read about how people were reacting to each other. It's not just a case of picking up where we left off as if nothing has happened.
And last night a neighbor of ours stopped by while walking his dog, haven't seen him for at least a year -
He's just the same, as normal and fun as ever, we had a great time laughing over things.
Thing is though, he worked all the way through the past 2 years, so not too much has changed for him. And Mr. R worked through most of it as well.

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
I now work retail after nearly 20 years as a teacher in various capacities. I have learned to bite down hard on my acid tongue. The general public seems very fucked in the head. I LOVE when a normal person engages with me - we seem to be a diminishing minority, us brainy folk. This is not cynical. I think the demographic is diminishing by the month. It's fkn sad.
I look around and wonder to myself where all the hard-working, ambitious, go-getters brimming with intelligence have gone?