• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

A great writeup about Grothendieck, one of the greatest mathematicians of the 20th century. Wish I could understand some of his discoveries. The last part of his life is stuff of legend:

Grothendieck’s disappearance became the stuff of legend. It yielded all the most absurd hypotheses. That he’d killed himself. That he’d gone to the United States or to South America. That he’d entered a monastery in Asia. The reality was known only to a handful of people, one of his sons among them, and didn’t emerge until 20 years later, shortly before Grothendieck died. The great mathematician, who had let his beard grow long and almost always wore a strange arab-style caftan, had taken refuge in a tiny village at the foot of the Pyrenees, where no one knew him. He lived there for 23 years, in a shabby abandoned farm, in total isolation. The village’s 200 inhabitants, who didn’t know who he was, soon got used to his presence, respecting his privacy. He received very few visits, all of them from the few people who knew about his new residence, and soon not even from them. He resumed his usual habits, very few hours of sleep, and the light on until very late. He grew all the food he ate, and only rarely accepted any food given him by his neighbors, who saw him only when he went out to smell his flowers or to go on an extremely rare errand to the post office.

https://planetofstorms.wordpress.com/2021/03/30/the-man-of-the-circular-ruins/amp/

Yes, me too.

Mathematicians can be rather...exotic beasts...

When I was at college we had a couple of maths students who went abroad to teach; I dont think I need name the country, save that it is famed for its lack of light pollution.

Yes, me too.

Mathematicians can be rather...exotic beasts...

When I was at college we had a couple of maths students who went abroad to teach; I dont think I need name the country, save that it is famed for its lack of light pollution.
Mathmagicians are all weird :p

Discovered this by accident. It's great!

In 2001, a peculiar individual who was capable of fascinating feats of creativity was discovered by the Something Awful forums. What follows is the story of Nick Smith, AKA "Ulillillia"

https://ulillillia.fandom.com/wiki/Ulillillia
  • Mirrors - Ulillillia's most famous fear. Ulillillia cannot stand directly in front of a mirror. This has often forced him to make long detours when walking places.
  • The number 22 - Ulillillia considers this number to be unlucky.
  • "People" and "person" - Ulillillia cannot speak, write or type these two words. This fear originated suddenly when he heard the word "people" used on a cartoon at a young age. He does not normally mind hearing these words used by others, although in school he felt obliged to scratch the words out whenever they appeared in textbooks.
  • Chairs - Ulillillia refuses to sit in chairs and prefers to sit on the floor. Benches and booths are acceptable, however, as are seats in moving vehicles. This fear only began after he left high school.
  • Stairs - Ulillillia does not walk up stairs but scales them as if they were an insurmountable hill. This also involves a catapult-like use of his backpack, which might provide him with inertia. Allegedly, he has no trouble going down stairs, and no trouble with stairs whatsoever in his Mind Game.
  • Unfamiliar silverware - He cannot use silverware with a widening handle. He can only use forks, spoons, and knives which have a straight handle.
  • Spotty dishes and dirty clothes - This is a very common problem for people with OCD.
  • Waiting in line - This fear originated in elementary school. Ulillillia was bullied frequently in school, so he tried his best to avoid having anyone behind him in line in fear of being harassed from behind. He allowed anybody who got on line after him to take his place.
  • Whistling - Ulillillia cannot handle the sound of a person whistling. To the best of his recollection, he believes this is because he was forced to whistle during a song in an elementary school music class, much to his disdain. If he hears a person whistling, he will request that that person stop. If they continue, he will ask one more time. If the person continues to disregard Ulillillia's compulsive needs, he will leave earshot.
  • Bicycles - Ulillillia has mentioned in passing that he is afraid of riding a bicycle.
One of his books:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8593843.The_Legend_of_the_10_Elemental_Masters

Last edited:
Another strange case:

On Amazon, an egotistical self-published author cannot let go of criticism against his book, and his anxiety spirals into obsession.

An odd chap with a dubious story.

A man claiming to be from Russia was found wandering the streets of Shibetsu, small town on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido. He told the police he swam 20km from Kunashir island and is seeking asylum.

Kunashir island is under Russian control, though both Japan and Russia claim it as their own. At this time of year, the water temperature in the area is 15 C (59 F). Is it possible for him to swim in such cold water without blacking out? The man was fully clothed and wearing a hat when he was found in Shibetsu. Did he bring them in a plastic bag? I have so many questions!

From Japan Today:

As for the mysterious visitor to Shibetsu, little is known about why he chose to flee the rather remote island with only a slightly larger population than the town he arrived in. The man also had told police that he wants asylum in a "third country" that isn't Japan or Russia. Hokkaido Prefectural Police and the Sapporo Regional Immigration Bureau are currently investigating his claim and trying to confirm his identity.

https://boingboing.net/2021/08/23/m...n-japan-claims-he-swam-there-from-russia.html

An odd chap with a dubious story.

A man claiming to be from Russia was found wandering the streets of Shibetsu, small town on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido. He told the police he swam 20km from Kunashir island and is seeking asylum.

Kunashir island is under Russian control, though both Japan and Russia claim it as their own. At this time of year, the water temperature in the area is 15 C (59 F). Is it possible for him to swim in such cold water without blacking out? The man was fully clothed and wearing a hat when he was found in Shibetsu. Did he bring them in a plastic bag? I have so many questions!

From Japan Today:

https://boingboing.net/2021/08/23/m...n-japan-claims-he-swam-there-from-russia.html

Possible - if he was used to it. We don't know what precautions he took either.

https://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/cold-water-feels-temperature-guide/

https://oceanfit.com.au/everything-you-need-to-know-about-swimming-in-cold-water/

GALVESTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Add this early Halloween prank to the list of the most bizarre things seen ahead of or during a storm in Texas.

On Monday, ahead of Hurricane Nicholas' landfall in Texas, ABC13 reporter Mycah Hatfield captured a man walking down Galveston beach dressed as someone's worst nightmare, Michael Myers.

But who is the mystery man behind the costume?

His name is Mark Metzger, a Galveston-area lawyer who is no stranger to doing these things. His prank caused a stir on the beach, but it did not last for long.

On Monday, Galveston police said officers received a call of a masked man with a knife with blood on it. When police arrived at the scene, they detained Metzger and learned the knife and blood were fake. Police said Metzger was cited for disorderly conduct and released.

220px-MichaelMyers2018.jpg

Adam Garrison, an island resident, told ABC13 he thought the man's stunt was stupid and that he was probably doing it for attention in the midst of a storm threatening Texas' coast. Garrison added that the whole thing was foolish, but he got a good chuckle and called it "another day on the island."

While it's something he has done before, Metzger added that it was the first time one of his stunts was met with "lethal force," but that he did cooperate with officers' commands. He even compared his arrest to something out of an episode of Scooby-Doo.

"It felt like a scene out of Scooby-Doo after they handcuffed me and pulled the mask off, like, 'I would have gotten away with it if wasn't for those meddling Karens, you know?" he said.

https://abc13.com/halloween-michael-myers-tropical-storm-nicholas-galveston-beach-costume/11018578/

maximus otter

GALVESTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Add this early Halloween prank to the list of the most bizarre things seen ahead of or during a storm in Texas.

On Monday, ahead of Hurricane Nicholas' landfall in Texas, ABC13 reporter Mycah Hatfield captured a man walking down Galveston beach dressed as someone's worst nightmare, Michael Myers.

But who is the mystery man behind the costume?

His name is Mark Metzger, a Galveston-area lawyer who is no stranger to doing these things. His prank caused a stir on the beach, but it did not last for long.

On Monday, Galveston police said officers received a call of a masked man with a knife with blood on it. When police arrived at the scene, they detained Metzger and learned the knife and blood were fake. Police said Metzger was cited for disorderly conduct and released.

220px-MichaelMyers2018.jpg

Adam Garrison, an island resident, told ABC13 he thought the man's stunt was stupid and that he was probably doing it for attention in the midst of a storm threatening Texas' coast. Garrison added that the whole thing was foolish, but he got a good chuckle and called it "another day on the island."

While it's something he has done before, Metzger added that it was the first time one of his stunts was met with "lethal force," but that he did cooperate with officers' commands. He even compared his arrest to something out of an episode of Scooby-Doo.

"It felt like a scene out of Scooby-Doo after they handcuffed me and pulled the mask off, like, 'I would have gotten away with it if wasn't for those meddling Karens, you know?" he said.

https://abc13.com/halloween-michael-myers-tropical-storm-nicholas-galveston-beach-costume/11018578/

maximus otter
Why is the voice on that article computer generated?

In the late 1970s there was a bit of a revival in Rock & Roll music (remember Matchbox in the charts with 'Rockabilly Rebel' anyone?) My friends and I used to go up to the Royalty in Southgate for R&R nights every Thursday- it was an old music hall or theatre I think and used to get packed with original 'Teddy boys' (then probably in their late 40s)with the drapes, partners in full 1950s dresses , older Rockers in leather and younger pseudo Teds and bikers like us.
They had great live acts and a dance floor which was always full and in amongst all these there used to be one older man in his mid 60s I would guess, dressed in ordinary beige zip up jacket and trousers, just like he had been shopping in Tesco's, and he would spend most of the evening dancing amongst them all. He was on his own and with his own routine which didn't seem to relate to the music at all but would consist of playing imaginary instruments such as a saxophone, trombone and so on. He used to be there every week and no one made fun of him.

In the late 1970s there was a bit of a revival in Rock & Roll music (remember Matchbox in the charts with 'Rockabilly Rebel' anyone?) My friends and I used to go up to the Royalty in Southgate for R&R nights every Thursday- it was an old music hall or theatre I think and used to get packed with original 'Teddy boys' (then probably in their late 40s)with the drapes, partners in full 1950s dresses , older Rockers in leather and younger pseudo Teds and bikers like us.
They had great live acts and a dance floor which was always full and in amongst all these there used to be one older man in his mid 60s I would guess, dressed in ordinary beige zip up jacket and trousers, just like he had been shopping in Tesco's, and he would spend most of the evening dancing amongst them all. He was on his own and with his own routine which didn't seem to relate to the music at all but would consist of playing imaginary instruments such as a saxophone, trombone and so on. He used to be there every week and no one made fun of him.
That's how I envision my future.

Strange folk often randomly shout out at other people. In Japan this includes shouting advice about ramen and romance at kids.
Aomori police on the lookout for man shouting unsolicited advice at kids about dating and ramen

We all have our opinions on instant ramen such as how well it stacks up to restaurant ramen or how putting some pudding inside makes for a really nice bisque. But these views have their time and place, and shouting them at kids on the street is not one of them.

That’s why police have been alerted to an incident that occurred in Hirosaki City in the northern prefecture of Aomori. At about 5 p.m. on 27 September, an unknown man shouted out to a child or children the following piece of advice:

“If you get into a relationship with someone, get into a relationship with someone who doesn’t eat cup ramen.”

The kid or kids involved did the right thing and reported the strange encounter to the police, describing the man as in his 40s, overweight, and balding. He was riding a bicycle and wearing a white shirt with navy slacks. The only details missing are a name, address, and reason why he feels enjoyment of cup ramen is an especially bad trait of a potential romantic partner.

Those who saw the bulletin online seemed to look at the suspect’s description and think he was referring to the toll a lifetime of instant ramen had taken on himself. ...
FULL STORY: https://soranews24.com/2021/09/29/a...icited-advice-at-kids-about-dating-and-ramen/

He was giving those kids good advice! 'Don't marry a slob' is what he was saying.

An odd case, he may have psychiatric problems.

A man has been rescued after being trapped inside the walls of a theatre in Syracuse, New York state.

Firefighters were called at about 07:30 local time (11:30 GMT) after someone was heard banging on the wall and pleading for help. It is believed the man was stuck inside a crawlspace for two days. Rescuers cut through the theatre's walls and found him naked, local media said. He is being treated at a local hospital.

In a statement on Facebook, Syracuse fire department said it was not clear how he'd gained access to the crawlspace behind the wall.

Speaking to Syracuse.com, a local news outlet, Landmark Theatre director Mike Intaglietta said the man had been seen wandering around the building earlier in the week. Employees who saw him lost track of his location and assumed he had left, Mr Intaglietta recalled.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59186739

Ref smoking animal shit- is this not what Camel cigarettes are made of?

Did we miss this guy at the start of October?
News story

Californian Army base late one night, soldier out for a smoke is confronted by a NINJA! He had the sword and everything, and proceeded to cut the soldier's leg and destroy his phone. The soldier did what he was trained to do: he ran away. He and other soldiers hid in a hut and waited for the cops to arrive. The cops fire rubber bullets, but they have no effect (did he dodge them?). A taser did the trick. He's been arrested.

Did we miss this guy at the start of October?
News story

Californian Army base late one night, soldier out for a smoke is confronted by a NINJA! He had the sword and everything, and proceeded to cut the soldier's leg and destroy his phone. The soldier did what he was trained to do: he ran away. He and other soldiers hid in a hut and waited for the cops to arrive. The cops fire rubber bullets, but they have no effect (did he dodge them?). A taser did the trick. He's been arrested.
The dumbass is just lucky he didn't attack a Seal, instead of someone from their transportation outfit. He probably would have ended up with his katana up his ass.

Discovered this by accident. It's great!

In 2001, a peculiar individual who was capable of fascinating feats of creativity was discovered by the Something Awful forums. What follows is the story of Nick Smith, AKA "Ulillillia"

https://ulillillia.fandom.com/wiki/Ulillillia
  • Mirrors - Ulillillia's most famous fear. Ulillillia cannot stand directly in front of a mirror. This has often forced him to make long detours when walking places.
  • The number 22 - Ulillillia considers this number to be unlucky.
  • "People" and "person" - Ulillillia cannot speak, write or type these two words. This fear originated suddenly when he heard the word "people" used on a cartoon at a young age. He does not normally mind hearing these words used by others, although in school he felt obliged to scratch the words out whenever they appeared in textbooks.
  • Chairs - Ulillillia refuses to sit in chairs and prefers to sit on the floor. Benches and booths are acceptable, however, as are seats in moving vehicles. This fear only began after he left high school.
  • Stairs - Ulillillia does not walk up stairs but scales them as if they were an insurmountable hill. This also involves a catapult-like use of his backpack, which might provide him with inertia. Allegedly, he has no trouble going down stairs, and no trouble with stairs whatsoever in his Mind Game.
  • Unfamiliar silverware - He cannot use silverware with a widening handle. He can only use forks, spoons, and knives which have a straight handle.
  • Spotty dishes and dirty clothes - This is a very common problem for people with OCD.
  • Waiting in line - This fear originated in elementary school. Ulillillia was bullied frequently in school, so he tried his best to avoid having anyone behind him in line in fear of being harassed from behind. He allowed anybody who got on line after him to take his place.
  • Whistling - Ulillillia cannot handle the sound of a person whistling. To the best of his recollection, he believes this is because he was forced to whistle during a song in an elementary school music class, much to his disdain. If he hears a person whistling, he will request that that person stop. If they continue, he will ask one more time. If the person continues to disregard Ulillillia's compulsive needs, he will leave earshot.
  • Bicycles - Ulillillia has mentioned in passing that he is afraid of riding a bicycle.
One of his books:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8593843.The_Legend_of_the_10_Elemental_Masters
I hate to hear people chewing gum. I wonder if he did too?

So depressing when people don't respect their animals as the animals they really are.
At least the flight attendants could take measures. The poor cat was stuck with a stupid person!

The attempted burglary is incidental (unless NatWest were behind it) to the strangeness of this tale.

A sacked bank worker who keeps the financial details of 1,600 customers hidden under her bed has said her house was targeted in an attempted burglary.

The woman is in a long-running dispute with NatWest over the documents, which have been kept at her home in Southampton for more than 10 years. She said she immediately felt panicked about what might happen to the data when the two men tried to access her property on the night of 12 February.

Police said they were investigating.

The woman, who asked to remain anonymous because she fears being targeted by thieves again, said she was sent home with the data as part of her job selling mortgages.

She was dismissed in 2009 for gross misconduct for failing to give customer information back to the bank, and the two parties have reached a stalemate over the terms of the data's return. The documents include account details belonging to customers in Hampshire, Dorset, Berkshire, London, Bristol, Surrey, Essex, Herefordshire and the West Midlands, the woman said.

She said this led to an impasse with the bank over the wording of a receipt that would have allowed the documents to be returned. The bank said the woman had demanded money in exchange for the documents, an allegation she strongly denies.

A new offer from the bank is now on the table but the woman said she was upset it did not include an apology.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-60506224

In the shop the other night. My boss came over the headphones muttering darkly about 'people'...

It turned out that she (boss) had been standing stocking the freezers, when someone came up to her and asked if we had any lasagnes, in single portions. Boss pulls out the box of frozen lasagne portions and the customer said 'yes, like that, only not frozen'. Boss tries to direct customer to the fridges, but customer is adamant that they must be 'from here' (ie, the freezer). Boss quietly went spare trying to explain why you're not going to be able to buy refrigerated lasagne from the frozen section of the shop.

Customer was, apparently, not even elderly (we are quite used to dealing with customers in the early stages of dementia, who can't quite make sense of things at times).

Remember our Local Studies Librarian many years ago (1970s) suffering a tirade from a teacher because he couldn't provide an aerial photograph of Roman London for one of her lesons! Drawings and artist's impressions were not acceptable it had to be a photograph.
God help us that woman was teaching children.:doh:

Remember our Local Studies Librarian many years ago (1970s) suffering a tirade from a teacher because he couldn't provide an aerial photograph of Roman London for one of her lesons! Drawings and artist's impressions were not acceptable it had to be a photograph.
God help us that woman was teaching children.:doh:
That teacher must have thought Doctor Who was real.

Back