• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

A

Anonymous

Lucy you know the one...

I told Lucy already about a girl with a disturbingly realistic "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" style Vampire face...she would have been maybe 15/16 yrs old, wearing a hoody on a perfectly warm, sunny day, she was on the carpark of the local Morrison's super-market. I passed pretty close to her, brushed shoulders with her. She looked at me preety intently as we passed...apart from that she was a normal teenage girl from what I could tell. Infact if it wasn't for the whole "lil' miss Vampire" thing, I'd have asked her out if we'd been in a club or in town and my mom hadn't been with me (doh!)...:rolleyes: . She was wierd alright though

Re: Lucy you know the one...

-Oracle- said:
I told Lucy already about a girl with a disturbingly realistic "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" style Vampire face...she would have been maybe 15/16 yrs old, wearing a hoody on a perfectly warm, sunny day, she was on the carpark of the local Morrison's super-market. I passed pretty close to her, brushed shoulders with her. She looked at me preety intently as we passed...apart from that she was a normal teenage girl from what I could tell. Infact if it wasn't for the whole "lil' miss Vampire" thing, I'd have asked her out if we'd been in a club or in town and my mom hadn't been with me (doh!)...:rolleyes: . She was wierd alright though
Im told by my daughter that it's a fashion known as gothic, apparantly a bit old hat now.:cross eye

this summer me and my roomate and another friend of mine were hanging out at this dinkytowner diner in minneapolis and this old guy came in. he was wearing this blue sport coat and little green shorts and a tee shirt that said "love peace and hillarity" later on that night we saw the same guy peeking into the windows of this sorority house. i think he wqas definately one of the strange folk.

It's not particularly bizarre, but I have on two occasions seen people with strange and unfortunate skin conditions...
The first occasion was at Windsor train station. I stood near a woman who appeared to be covered head to toe in warts. Yep, every inch of her skin was covered in skin-coloured warts or tumours.
The second occasion was near Victoria bus station in London. This time, it was a man, but the skin appeared to be identical.
I can't remember the name of the skin condition, but apparently it is quite rare.

In a cinema in Chesterfield I once saw a man with no ears... At least no 'outer' ear apparatus - no lobes or cartilage. Just 2 holes...

I assume the poor fellow had been born without or had lost his 'tabs'. But it did look incredibly strange. When you are so used to seeing ears, the absence of them is quite shocking! It made his hair look wierd too, there was a gap where his ears should have been but no ears.

Not really that strange I suppose...

bye

Martin

It might seem very usual, but I was driving home from a club one night and it was about 3am I went past a clearing in Cannock Chase (Large forested area in the Midlands) and in the clearing was about 20 people looking very normal...ie dress. they all were just sitting there staring at me, I slowed down to have a good look and they just kept staring at me. I had to look away but I looked in my rear view mirror after I passed and the clearing was empty.
Spooked me out a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
About three years ago, I was in a little bar in Kodiak, Alaska. When I say little, I'm mean it. The place couldn't have been more than 40'X50'. It was just a little below street level, giving it a "sunken" feeling, so to say.
I had been there for approx. an hour, drinking with my friends, when suddenly i felt a growing sense of dread. Turning around, I could almost feel the dread passing across the wall behind me (on the other side of the wall was the street). I turned to follow it, and as the "feeling" approached the door it began to grow stronger.
The door opened, and in walked a rather dark looking man. He was squat in nature, maybe 5'5, with a long, Rasputin' style beard and equally long, scraggly hair. He was quite weathered looking, but other than that completely normal. As soon as I saw him though, my body physically revolted back, and I felt extreme panic. As he passed behind me I could feel the hair on the back of my neck and arms rising. The closer he came the worse the sensation grew, until I had to excuse myself from my friends and leave.
The worst part was from the time he opened the door his eyes were locked on mine.

Made my hair stand on end reading that, did you notice if anyone else in the bar seemed to be affected in the same way?:eek!!!!:

Well, at the time, there were only about six people in the bar, including myself, my two friends, the bar tender, and a couple. Everyone else just carried on about they're business like nothing happened.

When i was very young (around 3 or 4 i think?) i was walking through the local park with my Mother when suddenly i had the feeling that someone was watching us. As i raised my head to see if i could see anyone i noticed a tall, slim figure standing at the top of a steep incline that ran adjacent to the path we had made our way along.
The figure was wearing a white suit and hat and a pair of dark sunglasses, his skin was very pale as was his hair (in hindsight i would describe him as an albino) and he was staring straight at me.
As we stopped for a few moments to figure out who this was, i noticed there was an other figure of the same discription standing in the distance, slightly obscured by a tree, and another at the top of a set of steps in front of us!
These people said nothing but looked straight at me for what seemed to be a few minutes.
After a while we continued walking and by the time we got to the top of the steps the figures had gone?
Strange thing is that although this incident seems more than a little strange now, at the time there was something very reassuring about about these people, almost as if they were just looking out for me!

Although this sounds like a dream, it remains (or feels like) one of my most vivid memories of my youth. My mother however has no recolection of it at all.

For reference, all this took place in London Road Gardens in the centre of Edinburgh if anyone knows it.

Alex

:confused:

tinfoilpants said:
...they had just passed a group of people in a clearing. She thought it was odd, probably just devil worshippers and a demon.

This sort of thing quite common around Cannock Chase? Just devil worshippers..and a demon? Don't get that kind of thing 'round our way.

Where is Cannock Chase, anyway?

I used to go to Cannock Chase whenever I felt ill or depressed and just sit under a tree reading (generally the Castle Ring area).
Never saw anything stranger than big paw prints, and never chased any cars.

Hermes said:
This sort of thing quite common around Cannock Chase

Not in my experiance, I always found it quite dull in supernatural terms. Plenty of tree and animal stuff going on tho, and some top banger racing in the Hednesford hills.

I just can't get excited about demons anymore, soooooo 70s :D

As to where it is, that'll be Cannock then. Which is vaguely Staffordy,Wolverhamptony/Lichfieldy, or a pretend version lives here:-

http://www.cannock-chase.co.uk/

Teleporting man with no dress sense

About six years ago, me, my brother and my Mum left the house to catch a bus into Sheffield. To get to the main road, we took a shortcut through the wood, north. As we walked down toward the wood, we were passed by a man walking south. That was odd enough; he haid a head full of greasy curly hair, fairly cherubic features, and was wearing a long, proper long black frock coat, a blue shirt with large orange flowers, formal trousers and old fashioned shoes. In his hand he carried a spiked, black umbrella.

We found the man fairly odd in appearance, until, as we arrived at the bus stop, he appeared from the west, travelling east, at least twice as far to walk - the guy either ran or used transport. Odd again.

He continued, heading on foot in the direction of sheffield. We got on the bus, travelling about five miles, when the man appeared AGAIN, this time walking back the way he'd come, away from sheffield in a westerly direction. The only explanation is that he was given a lift down to the bottom road, where he passed us the second time, then got another lift five miles up the road, to promptly walk back...

Alternatively, maybe we made a mistake... maybe there were 3 people dressed like that :s

Originally posted by Mythopoeika
It's not particularly bizarre, but I have on two occasions seen people with strange and unfortunate skin conditions...
The first occasion was at Windsor train station. I stood near a woman who appeared to be covered head to toe in warts. Yep, every inch of her skin was covered in skin-coloured warts or tumours.
The second occasion was near Victoria bus station in London. This time, it was a man, but the skin appeared to be identical.
I can't remember the name of the skin condition, but apparently it is quite rare.

It might be von Rechlinghausen's disease, although the nodules or warts you described are often fibrous--sometimes looking like spaghetti, in fact.

TorgosPizza said:
It might be von Rechlinghausen's disease, although the nodules or warts you described are often fibrous--sometimes looking like spaghetti, in fact.

Nature can be extremely cruel, can't it?

I'm driving about with a friend in the utter dead of night. We lived and roamed amongst farms, vast fields of corn, etc. I'm cruising about and see a small, dark figure scurrying across the road in front of me. Immediately, I hit my brakes pretty hard. What short glimpse we got revealed a very short, squat (about 3 feet tall, and nearly as round) Amish fellow in all black (of course!) with a black hat.

Not _quite_ Fortean, but bizzare nonetheless. When I was a bit younger, about 17 or so, my friends and I use to spend many a late late night roaming about, raising some ruckus. Once in awhile we'd see such 'strange' folk as mentioned. Being from central PA, there are plenty of Amish. And a number of them are, shall we say, not anatomically correct. Maybe they prefer only to come out at night, but what are they doing running across the roads at 3-4 in the morning? Maybe I should post in the conspiracy threads too?

:confused:

I guess the Amish are such a closed society that inbreading is inevitable.

There's a place in Southampton called Woolston that has it's fair share of wierdos;
Fat Elvis,Moss Lady,David the Tree Man,Peg Leg the barber,Lloydy,Big Balls,The Squawking Man,the laughing pakistani,Wiggy Peggy,Space Chris and his dog Poppachina. The place and the surrounding area is full of them.
I come fro there originally and me and my mates always used to say that when we were rich and famous we'd buy the place and turn it into a theme park:)

Oh, Eerieavon, you made me laugh with the names you have for all these people!

Presumably they're harmless and make life that bit more interesting!

In the old days, in isolated communities, there was often 'the village idiot', in the town I lived as a child, we had one in our area. Billy, he was called, he had a funny eye and every other tooth was missing. He used to push a hand-cart and was always singing at the top of his voice. Whenever he saw me or any other kid, he would greet us cheerily with "Hello, darlin'!". He was totally harmless and I often wonder what happened to him.

When I lived in Nigeria, there were two local 'nutter' - the man in tattered army uniform who used to march along the road, a stick over his shoulder, and the woman with a totally blank face who would wander along the road, stark naked. Mental health care was totally non-existent in Northern Nigeria . . .

:(

Carole

Carole _yeah they were 'mostly harmless'.There was once a 'clash of the titans' when Squawking Man (made strange birdlike squawking noises) met the laughing pakistani (would follow people around and just laugh at them)on a bus.Absolute chaos!

ROFL!! I wish I'd been there to see it!

Carole:)

eerievon said:
Carole _yeah they were 'mostly harmless'.There was once a 'clash of the titans' when Squawking Man (made strange birdlike squawking noises) met the laughing pakistani (would follow people around and just laugh at them)on a bus.Absolute chaos!

In the early 70s in Glastonbury there were no fewer than three Jesuses , and yes , they all met one day , denouncing each other as the Devil .
When I was at art college in Taunton there was a man called 'shake a leg' who allegedly would crap in his trousers , shake it out down one leg and carry on walking .
I don't think there is anyone funny in Glastonbury at the moment - everyone here takes their insanity very seriously ,
Marion

Marion said:
In the early 70s in Glastonbury there were no fewer than three Jesuses , and yes , they all met one day , denouncing each other as the Devil .
When I was at art college in Taunton there was a man called 'shake a leg' who allegedly would crap in his trousers , shake it out down one leg and carry on walking .
I don't think there is anyone funny in Glastonbury at the moment - everyone here takes their insanity very seriously ,
Marion

Oh, God, Marion, that has made me laugh so much! I know we really shouldn't laugh at these things, but . . .

Carole

I was at Uni in Luton (I can hear you laughing - stop it - it isn't polite) and the place was full of Nutters.

They used to try to sit next to me on the bus or corner me in Tesco's and talk about cabbages or something.
In fact it didn't matter where I went or what I was doing you could be sure that I was within 6 feet of a Nut at all times. I used to think that it was something that I was doing subconsciously - like shouting "Come and freak me out" when my brain wasn't looking...

Then I moved up to Scarborough I discovered that I had led a very sheltered life indeedy....

Hermes said:
This sort of thing quite common around Cannock Chase? Just devil worshippers..and a demon? Don't get that kind of thing 'round our way.

Where is Cannock Chase, anyway?

It's in Staffordshire, near Lichfield.

i quite like having maddists arounds - they can brighten up your day. In camberwell there is a lady who paints herself white and only wears white clothes (with the underwear on the outside) - she's known as the white witch. In dulwich there's a guy who goes around on a kind of sleigh on wheels pulled by huskies. And in peckham there's a bloke who looks like a hippy cowboy - big had, cowboy boots and a zapate moustach who walks a ferret on a lead.

People in Wolverhampton all seem to know about the traffic lights man who stands near the lights and thinks he is making them change by shouting "red!" and "green!" at them.

Jeez, I thought only Ireland had such weird people. Never came across them in Britain at all. In Dublin there is the Dancing Lady. She a well dressed lady in her 70s who spends hours dancing in a circle on O Connell Street. She wears really high shoes and sometimes waves flowers, but does not speak to people. Then there is Mad Paddy, located nearby, with weird and bizarre posters, he's on a one man 'pro-life' crusade but has fallen out with all the other slightly less mad members of this ilk. However the best is the 'Cross Woman'. She is ancient and dressed like a num and wanders about the city carrying a crucifix wrapped in the Irish Flag. She accosts people by shouting into their faces that they are the 'Spawn of Satan' - that always cheers me up. Once she gets past this important point she'll start telling you that the current Pope is a heretic communist imposter (he's from Poland, you see) and that the REAL Pope is a prisoner in chains in the dungeons of the Vatican. Now I thought that this was just her own mad theory, but a few years back FT mentioned in an article that there is some tiny international Catholic cult that does believe this - so I reckon she must be the Irish branch of it.

tasha said:
i quite like having maddists arounds - they can brighten up your day

In Hornsea in East Yorkshire there's a not-quite-mad-but-slightly-eccentric old chap called Bluebell Tom. I'd say he was in his mid-late 70s, a gnomish looking little bloke with long white hair. No matter what the weather, he always wears big baggy desert rat shorts, with jesus sandals in the summer and wellies in the winter, and a black beret. He roams the town talking to everyone he meets, and always seems incredibly cheerful and happy. He once collared me for about three quarters of an hour when I was collecting for Greenpeace outside the library, talking (with a large amount of knowledge) about the planet and the whales, and how good it was to see young people caring, and then put 2p in my tin!

I can also remember Karate Joe, who used to stand in the middle of Albany Road in Cardiff doing martial arts at all the buses. One time he strayed into the city centre, and I saw him dancing to a bagpiper, lauging madly. Sadly, he got run over by a bus sometime before 1994 :(

Back