• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Green Light Appears In Sky During Storm

It sounds to me like the weird green light appears in conjunction with a soft splat sound which could be a raindrop striking a window or lens. The green effect looks like a refraction along the bottom edge of a water(?) smear or drop on an intervening window, but I'm not sure there's a window in front of the camera. It's not on the lens.

Is it a reflection of a light source behind the cameraman? It's pretty clear he's got a glass window in front of him but he doesn't move right or left to test if it's a reflection.

You can hear a beep when the light appears. So...
According to the witnesses statement Sharon, this is their opening line in that report ~ "A man and their partner were in the backyard, watching the thunderstorm."
So that presumably eliminates any window being between them and the curious event that took place.

(Snips of images as it progresses throughout the video:)

*Image of anomaly seems to show strange spikes from underneath it:
Screenshot 2021-08-19 085501.jpg

*In this snip - notice that both lit items show same camera shake, and that the anomaly seems to show that it has a 'form.'

Screenshot 2021-08-19 085701.jpg

*What I have also noticed, is that whatever the 'light' below the anomaly is - (it appears as a street light/light, perhaps in this snip?). . . see next snip below
Screenshot 2021-08-19 085838.jpg

*Yet, in this later snip, the light below the anomaly appears as being larger, and the anomaly itself has tilted downwards - also that the light below the anomaly seems to now have a silhouette across it's lower half?
Screenshot 2021-08-19 085951.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's quite clear and seems to perfectly correspond to the formation of the light.
I'm wondering if the 'beep' is actually picked up by the camera reacting to some kind of electronic field interference when the light appears?

While watching it my first thought was that it looked light a light source that's being viewed through glass which has water streaming down it. For example, sitting inside a car while it's steadily raining and looking at a distant light (or set of lights). I do note that the couple were reportedly shooting this from their back yard.

Reactions: Sid
While watching it my first thought was that it looked light a light source that's being viewed through glass which has water streaming down it. For example, sitting inside a car while it's steadily raining and looking at a distant light (or set of lights). I do note that the couple were reportedly shooting this from their back yard.
Totally agree 'Hogarth999.' My first thought too was that it appears to be shot through a window of some sort, mainly because of the dappled/fuzzed images. But as they state that it was indeed taken from their back yard, I'm thinking that it maybe down to the actual camera itself (maybe an old type possibly with fuzzy imaging?), either that or some kind of electronic field distortions making the pixels/imaging processes to react differently - or possibly the atmospheric conditions at the time the video was taken?

Last edited:
It sounds to me like the weird green light appears in conjunction with a soft splat sound which could be a raindrop striking a window or lens. The green effect looks like a refraction along the bottom edge of a water(?) smear or drop on an intervening window, but I'm not sure there's a window in front of the camera. It's not on the lens.
In fact 'EnolaGaia,' I'm wondering if this anomaly/post, might fit into two camps.

Last edited:
Is it a reflection of a light source behind the cameraman? It's pretty clear he's got a glass window in front of him but he doesn't move right or left to test if it's a reflection.

You can hear a beep when the light appears. So...
In fact 'Sharon' I've just watched the online longer full version of this, and the click's, or beeps, seem as if they are being produced by rain droplets and wind hitting the mic area. Particularly as they continue throughout the video. It also might explain how the video seems a bit fuzzy - with rain in the immediate atmosphere at that time.
It was also said that there was a sound heard by others.

Last edited:
To me it looks like a light being projected up onto the clouds from below, which would explain the change in apparent shape as the cloud base will be moving past overhead.
Also, this was in Australia right? So I expect that their comment about it possibly being the 'northern lights' was either a joke or they're thick.
If it was any similar phenomena it would be the 'Southern Lights' (Aurora Australis).

To me it looks like a light being projected up onto the clouds from below, which would explain the change in apparent shape as the cloud base will be moving past overhead.
Also, this was in Australia right? So I expect that their comment about it possibly being the 'northern lights' was either a joke or they're thick.
If it was any similar phenomena it would be the 'Southern Lights' (Aurora Australis).
After watching the video several times, I notice that it also suddenly produces a streak of light on the right of the image shown. It's sudden, and it vanishes just as quickly, so I can't see it as being anything to do with cloud as the light is continual and non-interrupted.
It did cross my mind that it
may well be the Moon rising, but I know not why it might be projecting the greenness in the above cloud form - maybe something to do with ice being formed in the storm, then refracting, at a guess. However, to work this one out would need knowledge to the rising Moon in that area of the Australian Goldfields on that particular day, and at that particular time (Dec).

Last edited:
The element Cooper burns a beautiful green.

So, do we have a UAP made out of Cooper ?

After a bit of pondering, I believe I've found a good reason for the green anomaly, and the white light source.
Screenshot 2021-08-19 215033.jpg

In sketch 'A,' I think that it is only showing a tiny part of the Moon in the storm and clouds that are surrounding it.
Whereas in sketch 'B,' the Moon becomes more apparent - showing that slightly more than half of it is seen.

The green form might well be the glow from ice in the cloud, which is refracting the 'Southern Lights' - the Aurora Australis, which is the probable source of the green glow. So, two coincidences sitting in between one stormy night-time event.

Can you show an example of the Aurora looking like this? I'd rather see the view opposite the camera, that is, inside the room they were filming from because this still looks like a reflection. I'm going to wield Occam's razor and say this is nothing external unless there are other witnesses who can show that it was really a weird thing in the sky.

According to the witnesses statement Sharon, this is their opening line in that report ~ "A man and their partner were in the backyard, watching the thunderstorm."
So that presumably eliminates any window being between them and the curious event that took place.
Sorry, I'm not going to accept a snip from a news report as a hard fact. This is something that seems minor and that would be easily misinterpreted or mistakenly attributed but would make all the difference in the explanation.

The only place you will see the Aurora in Australia is Tasmania. Looking at the red dirt and the architecture of the houses, plus at the beginning you can see a small palm in the yard, it doesn't look like Tasmania to me. Secondly, Aurora are high atmospheric phenomena, you're not going to see them below cloud level.

Can you show an example of the Aurora looking like this? I'd rather see the view opposite the camera, that is, inside the room they were filming from because this still looks like a reflection. I'm going to wield Occam's razor and say this is nothing external unless there are other witnesses who can show that it was really a weird thing in the sky.
Going by Colour that the Aurora highlights 'Sharon,' it appears to be a perfect match (colour-wise) for the anomaly to reflect ~ given that it might be an ice cloud refraction.
Screenshot 2021-08-20 083334.jpg

(Snips of images as it progresses throughout the video:)

*Image of anomaly seems to show strange spikes from underneath it:
View attachment 43738

*In this snip - notice that both lit items show same camera shake, and that the anomaly seems to show that it has a 'form.'

View attachment 43739

*What I have also noticed, is that whatever the 'light' below the anomaly is - (it appears as a street light/light, perhaps in this snip?). . . see next snip below
View attachment 43740

*Yet, in this later snip, the light below the anomaly appears as being larger, and the anomaly itself has tilted downwards - also that the light below the anomaly seems to now have a silhouette across it's lower half?
View attachment 43741
I don't think the anomaly is moving or changing shape - it's the clouds in front that are moving as the storm passes through. Hence the moon appearing to dwindle and grow. Which means that the light source is external, probably. Looks the right colour for the aurora to me, plus it's winter time over there, so ice reflections would be a possible.

I don't think the anomaly is moving or changing shape - it's the clouds in front that are moving as the storm passes through. Hence the moon appearing to dwindle and grow. Which means that the light source is external, probably. Looks the right colour for the aurora to me, plus it's winter time over there, so ice reflections would be a possible.
Yup 'catseye,' that's what I meant when I said "tilted." (#4)
After filtering the images, slightly more detail reveals itself (the Moon is rising between the trees - oddly enough, there does seem to be an oblong shape to the underside of the green anomaly? I also note that the top-side of the anomaly has a sharper definition to it than the underside, (when zoomed-up).
43653-f684e08d86d01660cd5c0eaa4e24f01a.jpg43654-b62e5d3a7f7f0fa3a2fe64b8c07f4ca8.jpg

Last edited:
I've managed to get a screen shot of the formation of the green light.

A light source seems to come from the corner of a building under the moon.

Click to enlarge

Edited to add: you can hear them joking about seeing the Northern Lights in Kalgoorlie, so I guess that's where they are.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-20 at 12.15.19.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-20 at 12.15.19.png
    346.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I did notice in the report that they say the object appeared in the sky but doesn't say if it was only visible through the camera. It also doesn't say if others in different locations reported seeing the same object.
I'm wondering if the colour is from an LED streetlight being distorted by a drop of water on the camera lens - it doesn't have to be massive, just a tiny spot of water.
It turns out that LED streetlights can produce yellowish-green light. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/streetlights-with-greenish-yellow-tinged-cast.452516/

I've managed to get a screen shot of the formation of the green light.

A light source seems to come from the corner of a building under the moon.

Click to enlarge
Maybe that's just a refraction from a reflective source, or because it appears to be rising in between two buildings, it is distorting (bending) the Moonbeam and enhancing it?

I did notice in the report that they say the object appeared in the sky but doesn't say if it was only visible through the camera. It also doesn't say if others in different locations reported seeing the same object.
I'm wondering if the colour is from an LED streetlight being distorted by a drop of water on the camera lens - it doesn't have to be massive, just a tiny spot of water.
It turns out that LED streetlights can produce yellowish-green light. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/streetlights-with-greenish-yellow-tinged-cast.452516/
Here's the report of the 'Western Australia' that I read 'Bigphoot2.' It does mention others also witnessed it in the area.
https://thewest.com.au/news/offbeat...algoorlie-baffles-the-internet-ng-b881042609z

I've managed to get a screen shot of the formation of the green light. ...
Thanks for that ...

Both this shot and the original one (first posted) continue to look exactly like refraction through water moisture or droplet(s) on some intervening transparent surface (e.g., a window) to me.

The bit that makes this seem so mysterious is the fact that the green blob stays in its relative position within the scene when the camera appears to pan left. This would rule out the blob being caused by something on the camera lens per se.

However ... There are such things as camera-compliant viewing systems in which the camera is viewing a mirror rather than the actual scene (e.g., wide-angle periscopes, solar telescopes). In such systems the camera's viewing range or scope is limited by its own optics, and it doesn't necessarily capture the entire image reflected in / on the mirror. In such systems it would be possible to pan the camera (and its limited viewing scope) while an optical effect caused by something on the mirror seems to remain in a fixed location within the larger reflected scene.

I think Occam's razor should be applied in this case. There is too much 'over thinking' of it.
The simplest explanation is that it is a light source from underneath the cloud cover.
Probably a green light (such as that produced by traffic lights, maybe a pedestrian crossing so it is a continuous green without cycling through the red and amber) which is reflecting off of a large standing body of water or large puddle.
This would tie in with there likely being heavy rain from the passing storm.

Back