• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Green Light Appears In Sky During Storm

I'm now convinced that it has been caused by a drop of water (rain droplet) landing on the lens of the camera. But what I don't understand is where the green colour suddenly come into view ~ from what? Is it by-way-of refraction that introduced colours can be born?
I mentioned in an earlier post that LED streetlights have a greenish tint, it could be that the droplet is somehow enhancing that area of the spectrum.

I mentioned in an earlier post that LED streetlights have a greenish tint, it could be that the droplet is somehow enhancing that area of the spectrum.
Yes, I understand what your suggesting might be the cause 'Bigphoot2' - but the question remains ~ are there any LED street lights in that particular area in order to cause that effect?

Yes, I understand what your suggesting might be the cause 'Bigphoot2' - but the question remains ~ are there any LED street lights in that particular area in order to cause that effect?
Yes, I forgot to add that :)

I'm now convinced that it has been caused by a drop of water (rain droplet) landing on the lens of the camera. But what I don't understand is where the green colour suddenly come into view ~ from what? Is it by-way-of refraction that introduced colours can be born?
Raindrops can refract any colour of the visible spectrum in a similar way to a prism I think

Reactions: Sid
Raindrops can refract any colour of the visible spectrum in a similar way to a prism I think
Yes, of course! It slipped my mind that all colours are contained within refracted 'white' light!

Another thought I had is that maybe filming at night had an effect on the colour balance of the camera which exaggerated the green colour.

And another thought I had is that the raindrop on the lens itself would, or could have produced a light refraction itself even if the beam of light did not carry the green light spectrum within it!
So it carries the potential of two possible light refractions before being digitally recorded.

Notice that the distortion of the rooftops by the water also distorts the stationary light in the scene. So it does seem that the green color is a side effect.

Once again, an example that one should NEVER assume something extraordinary is going on until it is thoroughly examined - a rule that media will never abide by.

A caustic. My favourite optical phenomenon (give or take a few others).

No; it's a twisted focus of light rays caused by reflection or refraction, or both. I mentioned them before, about a month ago.
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/shape-shifting-ufo-reported.68654/

Here's a definition from Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caustic_(optics)
Kaustik.jpg

Back