• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Happening

A

Anonymous

Could anyone shed any light on this?

I have a toy that is suspended on the end of a piece of elastic. When you twang the elastic the toy makes a loud boing sound. It's appears to be quite sensitive to movement so you can't twang the elastic without it making the boing sound.

The elastic is hooked over the door handle of one of the double doors that connects my living room to my dining room.

The first time I was sitting alone in the house - my cat was out and my husband was away. All the windows and doors were shut and as it is a modern double glazed house there are no real drafts anywhere. I'm watching the tv when suddenly the elastic starts vibrating back and forth moving about 5 cms left and right. It was a completely regular movement - not as if it were being shaken. The toy starts boinging like a mad thing. I jumped out of my skin and then sat and watched it move. It went on for about five minutes and then just stopped.

I told the other half who just didn't believe me.

A couple of weeks later we were both watching TV and the same thing happened only my husband got up and opened and shut the door several times to try and see what was making it move. He turned off the TV and the lights to see if that made a difference but it didn't. The elastic just kept moving and the toy kept on boinging.

A couple of nights ago I was alone watching the tv and the same thing happened only this time the toy did not boing once which is strange. I checked it after the vibrating stopped and it boings as normal.

We bought the house two years ago after the old lady that owned it died and her son sold it to us. There have been a couple of other 'odd' happenings but nothing that I can be sure that there isn't a logical explanation for ie. patches of water that could have come in from an open window, lights on and off where I think that I remember turning them on or off but it's possible that I am mistaken. Things seem to move about and turn up in odd places like the TV remote, my keys, the phone etc. but again I could have misplaced them and not remembered doing it.

What do you think is making the toy move? Any ideas?
:confused:

Hi Emmy Mallow !

I've related this story on the board before.. but thought I'd share it with you as it's so similar to yours !

I had just moved in with my other half (he had been in the house for about two years previously), and I woke up in the middle of the night to see the out line of a person standing beside me in our bedroom thinking it was my boyfriend (now husband) I reached out to the person but I couldn't reach them... then I called by boyfriend's name - only to hear a sleepy 'hmmmmm ...?' from the other side of the bed and turned to see my boyfriend lying beside me !!

I then turned back towards the figure and it moved off towards the doorway, and as it moved in the dark small parts of it seemed to catch the light like looking at crumpled cellophane or something similar.... after it had gone (though I closed door I should add !) I went back to sleep as I was still only half awake througout this encounter.

The next morning I told my boyfriend what had happened and he said that the same thing had happened to him on one of the first few nights he had spent in the house....

We later found out that a couple had lived there before us, and that the lady had died when an outside wall had fallen on her during the great storm of 1987 - So perhaps she was curious about the new residents in her house ??

After that I'm happy to report that we had no further visits (though sometimes our cats act a bit strangely in the kitchen - perhaps because the lady liked cats and had some of her own).. So perhaps your presence is just checking you out and will get bored of moving your stuff around after a while ??

Haarp

Emmy Mallow said:
There have been a couple of other 'odd' happenings but nothing that I can be sure that there isn't a logical explanation for ie. patches of water that could have come in from an open window

Check out the water ghost thread in this forum, if you haven't already.

Hi Haarp - we have a cat that belonged to the people who lived in the house before us. He sort of came as part of the purchase as the son didn't want him and we joke saying that we moved into his house. He sometimes acts really strangely, like he can see something I can't - then again I could be imagining that.

Sometimes I think that something is moving about in the corner of my eye - just outside my field of view but when I look there is never anything there so I just assume that it's me being a weirdo or it's my hair or something.

After reading the other thread I will keep an eye on the patches of water...

Do you really think that there is something in my house - the old lady perhaps?

Is there something that I can do to find out whether something strange is going here or whether it's all explainable really and I'm bonkers?

What did you do - were you not scared at all?

I'm not frightened (though the first time the boingy thing happened I freaked for a few moments) - more curious than frightened.

Thanks for your post - it's given me something to think about...

Emmy Mallow said:
Is there something that I can do to find out whether something strange is going here or whether it's all explainable really and I'm bonkers?

This Site has some decent information. At least they take a somewhat scientific approach to the information.

So if this stuff keeps up or gets worse, chances are pretty good you can get on the net and find a group willing to investigate - usually for free. The only problem is actually finding a person/group to take the whole thing very seriously in a scientific sense. Be open to the possibility that something very weird is happening, just not ghostly. Good luck.

1 thing i always trust are cats and dogs judgement because they can hear things we cant so why cant they see things we cant?
seems logical to me and if the cats are acting strange then id have a good look round because even if theres nothing paranormal going on then there could be someone lurking about outside and they can hear it

cas

Back