• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Markings On Coins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quetzelcoatl

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
a chum of mine in the USA has come across these 'coins'.

anybody recognise the symbols?

coin15sw.jpg

coin25ej.jpg

Links to remotely hosted images are dead. There's no clue what these may have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, no.

It's pretty obvious that three phases of the moon are included.

Q: are the black dots around the edge holes?

Some of the symbols look somewhat Klingon-ish.

Philo_T said:
Some of the symbols look somewhat Klingon-ish.

heh. My first thought. But according to Wikipedia, no.

they were found in an arcade game slot, so a gaming link is possible?

They look more utilitarian than simply decorative like the ones on the website. Strange.

They look far too nice to be just "tokens" in an arcade.
On the other hand they look very worn, that means they have been used a lot and are not just some kind of collectors items.

I recon a drunk alien put accidentally the wrong currency into the machine and when it didn't work he staggered off mumbling incoherently.
If his boss finds out, he'll be in biiiiig trouble for leaving incrementing evidence behind... :rolleyes:

You can clearly see symbols for the Sun (circle) , Moon (two Moons in fact), Star of David and something that looks like a Masonic symbol...sort of.

The symbols in the center do look, for all the world, like insignia that various Star Trek species would wear on their shirts.

I wonder why it has the holes around the edge.

My theory is that it was originally used as a token for some kind of fortunetelling machine and, thus, the symbols have no meaning other than to appear 'mystical' without really being so. Eventually, it got repurposed as a token for arcade machines. Original poster did say his chum had found 'these coins' and not 'this coin' suggesting that many exist.

AnthonyClifton said:
My theory is that it was originally used as a token for some kind of fortunetelling machine and, thus, the symbols have no meaning other than to appear 'mystical' without really being so. Eventually, it got repurposed as a token for arcade machines. Original poster did say his chum had found 'these coins' and not 'this coin' suggesting that many exist.

That tallies with what I can see. The coins are some sort of softish base metal; you can see where the material has gotten damaged and scratched by casual use, which doesn't happen on normal coinage.

The manufacture is modern from the look of the clean-cut symbols, but done on the cheap since there isn't much pattern on them; normal coinage usually has plenty of decoration to make it easily identifiable.

So I'd say "Modern token" and "worthless unless you can find a mug daft enough to pay".

--
Dan H.

Remote-linked pics in post #1 are inaccessible, and no archived versions found. Thread is useless without image of the focal subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back