• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Motorcycle Accidents

floyd23a1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Motorcyclist hit by 0,000

A Taiwanese motorcyclist was hit by a fortune after a 0,000 kidnap ransom dropped on his head.
Lu Fang-nan, 57, was knocked off his motorbike after a relative of a kidnap victim dropped the money from a highway overpass, local media reports said.

The stunned man re-mounted his bike and sought medical help for a swollen leg - and the kidnappers fled with the cash.

The person who dropped the money was following orders from kidnappers who had seized an electronics merchant.

Mr Lu said he did not realise he had been hit by the falling fortune until television news reported the businessman's release and the delivery site of the ransom payment.

"Such a way to pay ransom is dangerous. It could get people killed," the unlucky cyclist told the United Daily News.

The incident paid off for the kidnapping victim, who was released unharmed. Police say they are hunting several suspects.

BBC News

June 2, 2004 E-mail story Print

ORANGE COUNTY

2 Are Hurt in Bizarre Motorcycle Collision

A Costa Mesa officer and another rider are knocked onto other bikes, police say.

By David Haldane, Times Staff Writer

In an accident reminiscent of an action-movie sequence, a Costa Mesa police officer and another man were injured Monday when their motorcycles collided, causing a game of "musical cycle seats" on the San Diego Freeway, authorities said.

"This is definitely one of the most unique accidents I've ever seen," Lt. John FitzPatrick, a spokesman for the Costa Mesa Police Department, said of the 10 p.m. collision that knocked Officer Dennis Dickens, 39, off his seat and Javier Gasga, 33, onto it for a quarter of a mile.

"It was like a Hollywood stunt," FitzPatrick said.

Both men were taken to Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center in Mission Viejo and were reported in serious condition.

According to FitzPatrick, the accident occurred in the southbound carpool lane just north of Jamboree Road, where Dickens and fellow motorcycle officer Tony Yannizzi were traveling about 65 mph as they rode home from work side by side. A third cycle driven by Gasga and traveling more than 100 mph, FitzPatrick said, roared up behind the officers and struck Dickens' bike in the rear.

The impact, FitzPatrick said, threw Dickens off his motorcycle and onto Yannizzi's, where he was able to hang on for about five seconds before losing his grip and somersaulting along the asphalt for more than 40 yards. At the same time, FitzPatrick said, Gasga — who police believe had been drinking — was thrown from his bike onto Dickens', which continued for about a quarter-mile before crashing onto the pavement.

"He was just kind of spread-eagled on top of it," FitzPatrick said.

Eventually Yannizzi, who was not injured, was able to stop and pull the two men out of the path of oncoming traffic. Dickens suffered a cracked pelvis and multiple abrasions requiring surgery, while Gasga sustained a collapsed lung.

Gasga was arrested by the California Highway Patrol on suspicion of felony driving under the influence, FitzPatrick said.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-cycle2jun02,1,7833246.story?coll=la-headlines-california

Man Fined After Near-Naked Driving Death

The Associated Press
Friday, June 3, 2005; 11:41 AM

FREDERICK, Md. -- A man who videotaped a bare-bottomed buddy during a motorcycle stunt that turned deadly was convicted of two misdemeanors and fined $1,000.

District Judge Frederick Bower said the September accident might never have happened if 23-year-old Ben Meacham had not been taping his almost-naked friend from a van he was driving alongside the motorcycle.

"Filming was a major part of their plan," said the judge.

Shaun Paul Matlock, 21, was wearing only tennis shoes, a T-shirt and a helmet when he lost control during a wheelie and crashed into a parked tow truck on a rural road south of Frederick, witnesses said.

According to testimony at Meacham's trial, Matlock wanted to do something unusual on what he called his last ride before he had to surrender the motorcycle because he had fallen behind on his payments.

Meacham declined an offer to join the ride but agreed to tape it. He was convicted of reckless driving and negligent driving.

A third friend, Brandon Edwards, who rode a motorcycle alongside Matlock and was similarly attired, was fined $1,000 in November after pleading guilty to indecent exposure and negligent driving.

The tape was later destroyed; it was unclear who destroyed it.

Meacham, who owns a production company called Holding It Big, testified that the stunt was being filmed for Matlock's own use.

According to its Web site, the Baltimore-based company puts on extreme sports exhibition shows and events, produces movies and video documentaries and conducts photo and video shoots for magazines.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00636.html

An Iowa motorcyclist was killed by a kayak (that fell off a trailer).
Iowa patrol: Kayak that fell from trailer kills motorcyclist

he Iowa State Patrol says a motorcyclist was killed in the northeastern corner of Iowa when he was hit by a kayak that had fallen from a trailer.

The Telegraph Herald reports that the crash happened Sunday morning on a county road in Allamakee County. ...

Investigators say 75-year-old John Thein, of Guttenberg, was northbound on the road just before 11 a.m. and was approaching a southbound pickup truck pulling a trailer loaded with kayaks when one of the kayaks fell from the trailer.

The loose kayak hit Thein's motorcycle, causing the crash that killed Thein. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.kcci.com/article/iowa-patrol-kayak-that-fell-from-trailer-kills-motorcyclist/37491920

About 30 years ago we had a day of very high winds in Boringshire. A moped rider, being sensible and conscientious, dismounted from his steed and was pushing it homeward for safety reasons, when he was twatted by a flying bus shelter that had been blown off its foundations.

lf it’s got your number on it…

maximus otter

PS: He was OK…

Last edited:
In the 90s I was riding home from work on a hot summer day. On a long, fast sweeping bend a Transit van was coming the other way and just as we approached each other, a large hard cover A-Z type map must have slid off his dashboard and through the open side window, hitting me right on the ankle. I only had trainers on too (serves me right I suppose!) - made me wobble a bit but luckily stayed on.

In the 90s I was riding home from work on a hot summer day. On a long, fast sweeping bend a Transit van was coming the other way and just as we approached each other, a large hard cover A-Z type map must have slid off his dashboard and through the open side window, hitting me right on the ankle. I only had trainers on too (serves me right I suppose!) - made me wobble a bit but luckily stayed on.
Once read a Guardian article about a house on a sharp bend in a rural area, where drivers taking the curve too quickly would lose property through the car window.
It all ended up in the writer's garden - wallets, maps, caps, flasks, chocolate bars, mittens, baby items, you name it. :chuckle:

Look on the bright side... you got a free map.

After a gruelling nightshift I made my way home (think it was on the 400 Superdream then). At the top of my Farm drive I decided I couldn't wait any longer to eat the Mars bar in my pocket - I DON'T KNOW WHY. Using one hand, I managed to unstrap the full face helmet and push it and the inner face mask up over my eyes to clear my mouth. Hit a pot-hole and went down. Luckily there were no witnesses so no-one will ever know of my prime act of stupidity.

After a gruelling nightshift I made my way home (think it was on the 400 Superdream then). At the top of my Farm drive I decided I couldn't wait any longer to eat the Mars bar in my pocket - I DON'T KNOW WHY. Using one hand, I managed to unstrap the full face helmet and push it and the inner face mask up over my eyes to clear my mouth. Hit a pot-hole and went down. Luckily there were no witnesses so no-one will ever know of my prime act of stupidity.
Lucky you weren't going fast.

A young California woman died when she crashed her motorcycle into a wall on the top level of a 3-story parking garage, flew off over the handlebars, and fell to the ground below. Authorities are trying to determine whether she had been doing stunts or simply learning to operate the cycle.
Motorcyclist dies after falling from Santa Clarita mall parking structure while performing tricks: LASD

A motorcyclist who was apparently performing stunts in a Santa Clarita mall parking structure died after flying over the handlebars and falling several floors ...

The incident occurred at the parking structure of the Westfield Town Center in Santa Clarita.

Video from the scene showed ... sheriff’s vehicles on the roof of the parking structure, where tire tracks could be seen on the ground. ...

The sheriff’s department initially reported woman was doing tricks before flying over the motorcycle’s handlebars, though it’s also possible she was learning to ride the motorcycle.

“I know friends want to teach people, but if you’re that interested, take a professional course,” Shoemaker said.

The Sheriff’s Department is working with the mall to find video to confirm if the woman was learning how to ride rather than performing stunts.
FULL STORY (With Video): https://ktla.com/news/local-news/mo...rking-structure-while-performing-tricks-lasd/

My German cousin (mid 20s) had a motorbike and went cruising with a couple of friends on a quiet mountain pass with wide sweeping bends. His friends lost sight of him after a bend and decided to turn back . He and his bike were found in the middle of the road - don't know the state of the bike but he was quite dead. No traffic about, everyone at a loss at what happened. I haven't thought about this for 40 years but it is still very strange.

My German cousin (mid 20s) had a motorbike and went cruising with a couple of friends on a quiet mountain pass with wide sweeping bends. His friends lost sight of him after a bend and decided to turn back . He and his bike were found in the middle of the road - don't know the state of the bike but he was quite dead. No traffic about, everyone at a loss at what happened. I haven't thought about this for 40 years but it is still very strange.
Maybe he hit a deer that was bounding across the road? I know of someone who met their end on a motorcycle courtesy of meeting a cow's end in the middle of the road.

I remember reading a letter in Bike magazine in the 1970s from a biker who went to collect an Indian takeaway on his bike. He didn't have a topbox or any luggage capacity so shoved the carrier bag down inside his jacket and zipped it up. On the way home he had a car pull out in front of him at a junction and flew over the handlebars and landed in the road the other side. He was shaken but not badly hurt but the driver recoiled in horror when he went to help and saw red/brown sauce and various other bits oozing from his leather jacket...

I went to Slough in 1980 on a 200cc bike without a top box or cat claws and bought the biggest cassette/radio 'Ghetto Blaster' Laskys had to offer. I then had to figure out how to get it home and shoving it down my jumper and trying to button up my coat was the only answer. I didn't have an accident but it wasn't comfortable riding, as I had my arms stretched out like Karloff's Mummy/Frankenstein.

Maybe he hit a deer that was bounding across the road? I know of someone who met their end on a motorcycle courtesy of meeting a cow's end in the middle of the road.

“Recent research indicates that over 74,000 deer may be involved in vehicle collisions each year in Britain.

Six species of deer live wild in Britain with a combined population of over two million. Increases in deer numbers and their distribution - particularly in urban and peri-urban areas - combined with a rise in the volume of traffic, are resulting in a large number of road traffic accidents each year.

…it is estimated that between 10 and 20 people are killed and over 700 injured every year as a result of accidents involving deer…”

https://www.rspca.org.uk/documents/...34-092c6ba51325?t=1553171460915&download=true

maximus otter

This motorcyclist didn't seem to notice the Florida drawbridge he was crossing was rising (opening up) until it was too late.
Georgia motorcyclist crashes while trying to cross raising drawbridge in Daytona Beach

Police in Daytona Beach released video Monday of a motorcycle crash that shut down a drawbridge over the weekend.

According to police, the crash happened around 10 a.m. Saturday when a motorcyclist ran through one of the traffic arms as it was lowering for the bridge to rise. ...

Police said the motorcyclist collided with a flashing lowered stop arm and fell off the vehicle.

The motorcycle, which was also hauling a trailer, continued up the raised drawbridge and fell over the gap at the top. ...

The motorcycle was left dangling over the water by its trailer hitch ...

The accident also damaged one of the traffic arms on the bridge.

Police said the motorcyclist, who is from Georgia, was not injured. Records show the motorcyclist was ticketed for careless driving.
FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/ge...dge-daytona-beach/Y3D5UNY43NFO5HHMFWNDHMAQAE/

“Recent research indicates that over 74,000 deer may be involved in vehicle collisions each year in Britain.

Six species of deer live wild in Britain with a combined population of over two million. Increases in deer numbers and their distribution - particularly in urban and peri-urban areas - combined with a rise in the volume of traffic, are resulting in a large number of road traffic accidents each year.

…it is estimated that between 10 and 20 people are killed and over 700 injured every year as a result of accidents involving deer…”

https://www.rspca.org.uk/documents/1494935/9042554/Road+traffic+accidents+involving+deer+(V1.0)+-+2015.pdf/ac2037be-5fc0-ff47-7834-092c6ba51325?t=1553171460915&download=true

maximus otter
It's good that you're on a one-person campaign to reduce deer numbers (and keep your freezer filled...).

This motorcyclist didn't seem to notice the Florida drawbridge he was crossing was rising (opening up) until it was too late.

FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/ge...dge-daytona-beach/Y3D5UNY43NFO5HHMFWNDHMAQAE/
I'm glad I read that he was uninjured as it looks like his head comes off!

There are several things to that: surely the helmet should stay on?; and what level of fuckwittedness (a proper word) makes you think it's ever a good idea to try to beat a drawbridge on a motorbike, when you're towing a trailer!!?

I've had some bad ideas in my time, but I'm pretty sure I've never done anything that bonkers. At the very least he's lost his bike and trailer, and any idea of self-respect he had has also hit the bottom of the sea.

You have to be on the lookout for the fantom white line lickers, when they spread salt on the roads the sheep like to lick it off and the very best is along the white lines in the middle of the road at least the sheep seem to think so with the obvious results especially at night.

Last edited:
I'm glad I read that he was uninjured as it looks like his head comes off!

There are several things to that: surely the helmet should stay on?; and what level of fuckwittedness (a proper word) makes you think it's ever a good idea to try to beat a drawbridge on a motorbike, when you're towing a trailer!!?

I've had some bad ideas in my time, but I'm pretty sure I've never done anything that bonkers. At the very least he's lost his bike and trailer, and any idea of self-respect he had has also hit the bottom of the sea.
People might have accidents on bridges like that because they are used to a different construction or operation and might misjudge one they haven't come across before. Combining that aspect with being in a rush and forgetting you're towing the trailer won't help.

Remember the terrible crash in Sweden that killed the group Viola Beach and their manager? Their home town, Warrington, has three swing bridges.

Local motorists know there's time to nip across them as soon as the signal starts, before the bridge moves. Like jumping traffic lights on amber; potentially dangerous but just about legal.

Some who knew them believe the driver might have sped up because he was used to the Warrington swing bridges and momentarily expected the upcoming bridge to work in the same way.
Makes sense to me, but nobody knows for sure.

Back