• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Occurrence On Facebook Messenger

Cyclops

Devoted Cultist
First of all, hello - I used to post on here quite a lot, but real life intervened, as it has a habit of doing. I've registered with a new email address.
Right, to the point - earlier on today I was on a Facebook Messenger group chat with my son and daughter. It appeared that my son had posted a 3 second sound file, so I clicked on it. There was no sound apart from a muted "click" near the end...but it rang my daughter! Not through Messenger, either, but on her mobile. It happened twice - the second time I wanted to find out if it was actually that that had rung her.
I checked with them both, and they can both see the sound file on messenger, but to them it looks as though I posted it, and when they play it they hear the "click" but it doesn't phone anyone.
Any ideas?

Is the Facebook account linked to a phone account?

I recently had my Messenger account hacked.
Various friends had messages purporting to be from me, asking how they were "doing" .
I've changed my Facebook password (and both my email passwords, because you can't be too careful!) and it seems to have solved the problem , at least for the time being.
You probably ought to do the same, if you haven't done already.

That's good advice, Recycled - I must admit, it does seem a bit sinister.

Here is more information about the recent hacking of FB messaging:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/04/tech/facebook-hack-explainer/index.html

It is disturbing. I don't link any account I have to my phone number unless I absolutely have to, and I used an obviously fake birthdate when I signed up on FB. I also didn't use my full name. I post no pictures of myself, and have requested that I not be tagged in photos. This is because I want to limit the value of the information about me which FB itself markets, and maximize my privacy as much as possible.

If you really want to maximise your privacy, avoid Facebook altogether.

Good point, well made - but it is an awesome tool for keeping in touch with my adult offspring without badgering them for phone calls!

It's the way FB have made it very moreish that keeps their billion dollar profits keep rolling in.

I can't find the facebook thread, facebook itself seems to be down in various parts of the world at the moment. I can't get on it but the Mrs who's sat next to me can on her phone but can't send messages ..

This link has a map of parts of the world being affected ..

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...ocial-network-outage-can-t-be-reached-offline
That's interesting. I'm currently experiencing a lot of trouble with Google Drive. Which is unfortunate, because I have a deadline tonight, and a lot of my reference material is hosted on my Google Drive. :comphit: Come back Richard Stallman, all is forgiven.

That's interesting. I'm currently experiencing a lot of trouble with Google Drive. Which is unfortunate, because I have a deadline tonight, and a lot of my reference material is hosted on my Google Drive. :comphit: Come back Richard Stallman, all is forgiven.
I bumped into my old flatmate by surprise back in town just for today .. we were supposed to arrange to hook up later today through Facebook. Bollocks :mad:

Get ready for the conspiracy theories later ..

https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/facebook-down

I've got back into facebook now .. anyone else still having problems?

Books. Invest in books. :btime:

Books. Invest in books. :btime:
Books are delightful things, I agree. Until you decide to move continents - that does tend to give you a new-found appreciation of ebooks... It's taken us three years to empty storage units and the like, and still long-suffering friends and relations have boxes of our books dotted around. They are the most difficult things to part with. But here's a question: how many books have you actually re-read? In my case, I bet it's less than a dozen, leaving aside work and study-related texts.

That reminds me, it's probably about time for another meander through Gormenghast, and there has been talk of Spike Milligan's memoirs, and... But there is so much I haven't yet got around to.

Last edited:
I must admit to re-reading good books and more than once.

As far as FaceTwitGram is concerned, my view is that it's the very worst modern invention ever created. ( rambles on in old man mode...…)
I was able to avoid joining it right up until a few years ago when I had to to receive my work rota for a past job. Facebook really is a nightmare to navigate.

I must be one of the few people in the world who actually like Facebook and Messenger. One daughter lives in Oz, and it's our main form of communication. I have a Messenger group with all my kids in, so we can do group chats about get togethers and what to buy one another for Christmas/Birthdays - they are spread around the region and I rarely see all of them together.

Plus noodling on Facebook counts as 'working'...

All my group chattering happens on WhatsApp now.

Facebook is ok if you have lots of friends and family that you actually like, but I don't so I haven't touched my page in years.

I don't have a problem with Facebook. It's a useful way of keeping in touch with people, and it's not difficult to preserve your privacy if you bother to make sure everything is set-up correctly.

Yet they pass on your information to data harvesting companies anyway, no matter how private you try to be.

Back