• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Oddities

realspooky

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Afternoon all

In our house, some little things have been bothering me recently. I've passed them off for a while now, and maybe they are caused by electrical faults and trick of the mind, but they have certainly given me the creeps in the multitude of times they have occured.

Firstly, I have to say we have been in our house now for over 3 years. These oddities have been happening in the last six months or so. I also haven't mentioned anything to my wife (apart from the event she experienced, obviously) as she is very 'jumpy' with the paranormal subject. If I told her, I dont think she would come home again.

Firstly, the hoover. I am fully house trained (paranormal, I know) and quite often help out the wife by hoovering the house etc. Now, this has only heppened when I am on my own, I can honestly say it has never happened whilst my wife has been home with me. The hoover has a standard 'On - Off' switch on the side, and it simply switches itself off. You dont here the 'click' because the hoover is on, but this has happened more times than I can remember (almost everytime I am on my own and use it). I have also seen the switch 'move' on it's own when this power switch occurs.
Now, I am thinking the hoover is faulty and needs replacing, no problem with that. But what if that is not the case? There are alot of stories about mischevious ghosts around, could this be one? I also get a strong sense of being watched once this has happened, not before nor long after, just in the few minutes after it happens. My mind playing tricks I guess, but you have to conseider alternatives.
Which brings me too....
The stereo downstairs. Several times the volume on the stereo has simply turned itself right down to zero. The radio or CD just fades gently away, and when you look, the digital volume display is on zero. Happened when I was on my own listening to the football last night (Forest - Maybe the ghost is a County supporter), but as you can imagine, freaked me out. Has happened 4 or 5 times now this....mischevious behaviour? The stereo does have a slight fault on the volume, but would need to be physically 'turned' in order to turn it down. The remote, at all times, was on the floor by itself, no cat sat on it etc (which was my first thought the first few times). All very strange. Both of these indidents are happening to this day.

The second major incident involves a cat. We have one ourself, bless her, but she is very terratorial. She will chase off 'anything' that comes near her, apart from me and my wife, and people she recognises.
One night, around 8 months ago, I was in the bathroom, when my wife screamed. She was in bed, and I heard an almighty stampede down the stairs. I flung the bathroom door open, just in time to see our cat's backside dissapear round the door in the hall and into the living room. I followed, only to find our cat sat on her own in the middle of the living room, with nothing else around. The other cat has gone out of the cat flap I thought, fine, but there is a curtain across it, and the curtain was not moving in the slightest. Odd.
So I went back upstairs to my wife, and she said she awoke to our cat growling. A black cat was sat on the windowsill of the bedroom, and darted when it and my wife looked at each other (she is beautiful, nothing to do with her looks!), promptly followed by our cat. She is a very honest girl, and swears blind to this. Our cat was sleeping next to her at the time, and she physically saw two cats, so no mistaken identity.
But here is what creeps me out...
For two months after the incident, again when on my own in the house, I heard a loud 'meowing' from downstairs. Obviously, our cat reacted, but when I went downstairs, there was nothing. I checked behind chairs, sofas, kitchen worktops, but no sign of a cat.
The weirdest example came when I was upstairs and heard the noise. Our cat sat perked up at the top of our stairs, and I heard the cat flap open and shut. I looked out the rear upstairs window of the house almost immediately, but....nothing. No cat coming out the cat flap. There was literally a second in this because I was already in the back room...maybe the cat was really fast and made a bolt for it, sensing ours. Quite possible thinking about it, but surely, as our upstairs window looks onto ours, and both neighbours gardens (including a good view of the car park next to the houses) I would have seen something? Maybe not, who knows.

So, there you go. That's that off my chest. It seems that most of these things happen when I'm on my own. I like to write novels in my spare time, and love writing, so I will say my imagination is sometimes wild, but I'm very rational about the paranormal, and have been fascinated by it for years. I believe I have possibly seen the ghost (of my Grandad) in my parents house, but cannot be 100% sure. I'm not a solid believer, I have a very open mind on these things.

But these incidents are just....weird?

RS

Cats can be very fast, so you might not see one going in and out of the cat door.

The cleaner, though seems odd. What kind of switch: press switch, flip switch, foot switch, or ?

I reckon you have a visiting cat. We have 2 cats and for a while we had an extra one visit from time to time. It was ages before we actually saw it, but we knew it had been in.
The Vacuum cleaner: push button repeater type switches can be very temperamental, but if it is a 'rocker' type switch (like a light switch) AND you saw that move to the other position that would be very strange.
Stereo, no idea.

I agree totally with the 'quick cat' theory. Our cat is very fast, and that is probably the explanation I know. With it also being a black cat, it made it even more creepy.

I must point out, that at no point did I ever think 'our house is haunted!'. They are strange incidents, but never the less are incidents that can be explained by slightly more mundane happenings.

The vacum is a rocker switch if that makes sense. It's on the side of the hoover. It could be the switch is faulty and the vibration of the hoover flicks the switch, that would also explain why it moved on it's own.

Stereo though has baffled me.

realspooky said:
I agree totally with the 'quick cat' theory. Our cat is very fast, and that is probably the explanation I know. With it also being a black cat, it made it even more creepy.

I must point out, that at no point did I ever think 'our house is haunted!'. They are strange incidents, but never the less are incidents that can be explained by slightly more mundane happenings.

The vacum is a rocker switch if that makes sense. It's on the side of the hoover. It could be the switch is faulty and the vibration of the hoover flicks the switch, that would also explain why it moved on it's own.

Stereo though has baffled me.

Just a theory, but perhaps the vacuum cleaner has some kind of cutout mechanism built into it to switch it off if it overheats, the bag is full, or the electricity supply is dodgy? Perhaps the bag is full and needs to be replaced?

Regarding the stereo...

Is the remote radio-frequency (RF) or infrared (IR)? In either case the stereo could've been subject to some outside interference that mimicked the 'lower volume' signal of the remote. An IR remote operates by sending a series of infrared pulses to the receiver and different pulse sequences trigger different functions. Perhaps some other IR emitter in the room (a light bulb even) happened to pulse just the right sequence due to electrical fluctuations or something. With an RF remote interference is even more likely given the vast number of radio signals flooding through our surroundings at any given time.

Back