• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Person At Leeds Railway Station

gcd_889ff9c65a25

Fresh Blood
A little story about my return trip from the Irish Discworld Convention*:

After several hours travelling by plane (twice), train (once), bus (once) taxi (once) and ox cart (nonce), I found myself at Leeds railway station at 01:30am. There were very few people there, everything was shut and the next train home was at 06:30am.
I found a spot out of the draft and settled down to read a book (near to the McDonald's, if you know the station).

About 30 minutes later I spotted someone at the far end of the concourse, peering round the door to the carpark: a thin chap with one leg and crutches.
"Hmmm, he must be waiting for someone", I thought and went back to my book.

About 10 minutes later, I noticed he was still there. He started walking down the concourse; this would take him past me. As he gets closer, leaning heavily on his crutches and hopping slowly, I hear laboured breathing and look up.
Now, this guy was still some distance from me and in the normal corse of things, you wouldn't hear someone breathing from that far, even if they were out of breath.
It was the most animalistic noise I have ever heard coming from a person - it just didn't seen right, raspy, gutteral, gurgling and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.
I could now see that his face was drawn and grubby, and that his clothes were rather tatty. The empty leg of his jeans had been cut off right at the top and tied closed.

This is when he looked round at me; his eyes were milky and pointed out, in different directions - but he still seemed to be looking right at me. He then began to walk directly towards me, the raspy, gutteral breathing getting louder.
I have never been so scared in my life. With hindsight it was totally out of all proportion with the situation, but right there and then I was petrified; there was more than just a human infront of me. I don't know what and it sounds stupid, sat here typing it up, but I knew that I had to get out of there.

He stopped, about 8 feet from me and just stared. I grabbed my backpack and fled; I knew I had to leave. Luckily, one of the few trains due was headed for York (not too far away and easy to get home from) and after a 15 minute wait on the platform, I got on it. I only relaxed once I had left Leeds.

Now, this may have just been some poor homeless guy who had no intention of upsetting anybody and I over-reacted, but there was a *presence* there that scared me senseless. This guy didn't feel right, there was some Thing else there too.
It still bothers me.

Vincent Oberheim

* http://idwcon.org/

Thanks for posting this. It feels like a Clive Barker story.
Probably your feeling was correct. Feelings like disgust and incomprehension can usually be suppressed, but I think instinctive fear should be listened to.

I live in Leeds and recall seeing a one-legged man with tatty clothes , the cut and tied jeans and a very ill look to him just outside the entrance . This was midday, I can't remember much about his features but think he had a beard. Perhaps he was just hanging around because it was warmer or safer than where he was staying, and maybe his health had deteriorated between sightings, if indeed it was the same man. I certainly don't recall eyes pointing in different directions.
That's not to say he wasn't genuinely anti-social though, I know a few homeless guys and they all go out of their way to be polite and friendly, and the man I saw was just lurking around. Maybe mentally ill too?

I saw a homeless guy similar to that at York station very early in the year, about midnight to 1am, who had an artificial leg that seemed to be broken.

Much that I'm rather uncomfortable with helping to spin a fantastic narrative out of someone else's misery, I suppose it's not that improbable it's the same guy whose artificial leg had failed entirely.

He may have been drunk or on something, or perhaps just very mentally ill.

The man I saw had very little of his leg remaining, I wouldn't think enough for a prosthetic to be attached to. An artificial leg would have been very difficult if not impossible to use so I doubt that this man would have bothered trying even if it were possible to attach one.

gcd_889ff9c65a25 said:
I hear laboured breathing and look up.
Now, this guy was still some distance from me and in the normal corse of things, you wouldn't hear someone breathing from that far, even if they were out of breath.
It was the most animalistic noise I have ever heard coming from a person - it just didn't seen right, raspy, gutteral, gurgling and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

What if that is contagious? I have a fear of being too close to homeless in my city because there are often stories about outbreaks at the shelter. Those guys all have the worst coughs...

Some people although it's quite rare "growl" or "roar" like animals there is usually a learning disabilities/mental illness component. It can be pretty startling and you would be surprised the sounds people can make.

It's quite easy to be freaked-out by some of the more disabled as their appearance and behavior can be quite shocking. Sad but true.

The heavy breathing might be COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) caused by heavy smoking it's often quite rattly and gurgling sounds are common, any exertion is difficult.

Many people, particularly people of the older generations who suffered from schizophrenia smoked. Cigarettes were often used to pacify or reward the mentally ill. There is research that suggests nicotine lessens the severity of the symptoms of schizophrenia, it certainly lessens the antipsychotic plasma levels so people feel less sedated. COPD is well known in mental illness due to the heavy smoking. Those that make it into their forties and fifties are known to die from COPD and related diseases.

The leg may have been removed due to a complication with diabetes, again common in mental illness due to it being a side effect of some medications.

Therefore your guy could possibly be an ex-institutionalized patient with schizophrenia or learning disabilities.

The eyes? Some ocular disorder?

It's unfortunate that our natural response to the outcasts of society is fear, loathing, and avoidance. They are the people who need our compassion and aid the most.

The reason homeless people are often physically ill is that they don't have access to adequate care and hygiene. The rest of us don't really have to worry about that since we have access to doctors and proper nutrition and hygiene. The reason homeless people are often mentally ill is that mentally ill people tend to "fall through the cracks" of social care and are not taken care of.

It's a normal response to look away and pretend people like this don't exist, are loathsome creatures, or are some kind of monsters, but in fact they are usually quite average human beings like the rest of us, who are down on their luck. Any one of us could be in their position and it would do us well to overcome our disgust and reach out a helping hand once in a while, not out of pity but out of a common human respect. I'm not saying you should approach people who seem to be dangerous but there's no reason to be looking down your nose at them, either.

It's unfortunate that in popular culture we tend to portray homeless people as supernatural agents, strange creatures, or as a bizarre horrific or comedic spectacle, instead of regular people who are struggling to get by. It's a type of "othering" we use to make ourselves feel more comfortable in our current position.

I'm sorry for my emotional response, but some of the reactions on this thread have really bothered me. Due to a series of misfortunes, I was homeless at one point in my life, and if it hadn't been for the kindness of strangers I would be dead by now. It really puts things in perspective. Life is not a joke when you don't know where your next meal will come from. Believe me when I say the line between "us" and "them" is quite imaginary. We are all human beings.

Very good post Pin.

Unfortunately you are correct about peoples responses to those who are disabled, disfigured, homeless or mentally ill.

Although I think the big Victorian "bins" had some very positive aspects such as a real community, meaningful activities, companionship, etc they needed to go and people needed to be returned to society.

As with homeless despite the best efforts of professionals and advocates the mentally ill and folk with learning disabilities are still treated as outsiders and marginalized. I don't think you can blame people who don't have any experience of working with these groups of marginalized people however. They react because of the way they have been socialized. The homeless are lazy beggars, the mentally ill are nutters, or even worse axe-wielding psychos. (Even though the mentally ill commit less violent crime than "normal people").

As a society we will change but it will take a long, long time.

It was good to read Pinlight_Duke's post. Definitely a topic that was in need of some balance and perspective.

Could bang on about, 'fear of the other' and how that skews our perceptions and so forth, but Pin's post is far more to the point.

Let's face it. With some of us Forteans, it's not so much us being scared of others, as others being scared of us. ;)

Two weeks ago my daughter and I were in Perth before boarding the Indian Pacific train. We had taken the bus to the mall to buy a card for a friend's birthday.
As we got off the bus a rather scruffy homeless guy appeared with bedding and posessions in bags but the driver just took off. Of course he was very upset and yelled very loudly about what he thought of the driver.
I wasn't afraid just felt a strong sense of pity and was unsure whether to speak to him but a man crossed the road and spoke to him calming him down. So not everyone shuns these people.

A little story about my return trip from the Irish Discworld Convention*:

After several hours travelling by plane (twice), train (once), bus (once) taxi (once) and ox cart (nonce), I found myself at Leeds railway station at 01:30am. There were very few people there, everything was shut and the next train home was at 06:30am.
I found a spot out of the draft and settled down to read a book (near to the McDonald's, if you know the station).

About 30 minutes later I spotted someone at the far end of the concourse, peering round the door to the carpark: a thin chap with one leg and crutches.
"Hmmm, he must be waiting for someone", I thought and went back to my book.

About 10 minutes later, I noticed he was still there. He started walking down the concourse; this would take him past me. As he gets closer, leaning heavily on his crutches and hopping slowly, I hear laboured breathing and look up.
I could now see that his face was drawn and grubby, and that his clothes were rather tatty. The empty leg of his jeans had been cut off right at the top and tied closed.

This is when he looked round at me; his eyes were milky and pointed out, in different directions - but he still seemed to be looking right at me. He then began to walk directly towards me, the raspy, gutteral breathing getting louder.
I have never been so scared in my life. With hindsight it was totally out of all proportion with the situation, but right there and then I was petrified; there was more than just a human infront of me. I don't know what and it sounds stupid, sat here typing it up, but I knew that I had to get out of there.

He stopped, about 8 feet from me and just stared. I grabbed my backpack and fled; I knew I had to leave. Luckily, one of the few trains due was headed for York (not too far away and easy to get home from) and after a 15 minute wait on the platform, I got on it. I only relaxed once I had left Leeds.

Now, this may have just been some poor homeless guy who had no intention of upsetting anybody and I over-reacted, but there was a *presence* there that scared me senseless. This guy didn't feel right, there was some Thing else there too.
It still bothers me.

Vincent Oberheim

* http://idwcon.org/
Unfortunately what i'm going to type is only related to the station,hope that's ok.

A few years ago i was at Leeds station going to visit my mum who lives on the east coast near to Scarborough.Upon waiting for the train to arrive i just looked across the lines to to the other platform and there was this lady with a gentleman,they were both in there mid 70's i would have thought,anyway this lady kept on peering over the train lines at me at the other side as if she knew me,i certainly didn't know know her.My train came and i got on it and that was that,or i thought it was.I got of the train and as normal my mum was waiting and we went out in the car for a bit to eat.We travelled about 5 miles or so to a fish and chip shop restaurant and guess who was sitting in there?Yes your right as it was the lady on the platform with the gentleman eating fish and chips,(BUT)they were travelling to a different place than i were so how could they have got here before me and on a different train.I saw them again on several occasions with different trips that i made to see my mum.Now isn't that strange

Unfortunately what i'm going to type is only related to the station,hope that's ok.

A few years ago i was at Leeds station going to visit my mum who lives on the east coast near to Scarborough.Upon waiting for the train to arrive i just looked across the lines to to the other platform and there was this lady with a gentleman,they were both in there mid 70's i would have thought,anyway this lady kept on peering over the train lines at me at the other side as if she knew me,i certainly didn't know know her.My train came and i got on it and that was that,or i thought it was.I got of the train and as normal my mum was waiting and we went out in the car for a bit to eat.We travelled about 5 miles or so to a fish and chip shop restaurant and guess who was sitting in there?Yes your right as it was the lady on the platform with the gentleman eating fish and chips,(BUT)they were travelling to a different place than i were so how could they have got here before me and on a different train.I saw them again on several occasions with different trips that i made to see my mum.Now isn't that strange

Is it possible the fish 'n chip shop was situated somewhere mid-way between the different stations you were going to? You also drove about 5 miles. Maybe they got to their station & did the same..

Is it possible the fish 'n chip shop was situated somewhere mid-way between the different stations you were going to? You also drove about 5 miles. Maybe they got to their station & did the same..
They can't have done because they were on the other platform to me and going totally somewhere different plus i saw them on other trips that i made

They might have been on the other platform because they were meeting a train, rather than getting on one? And then heading off to the coast for their fish and chips, possibly dropping off the person they met on the way?
Yes all well and good but how do we account for seeing them both again and again on other visits to my mums

I know I'm going off topic on this, but replying to Pinlight, I see the homeless on the tube going and coming home from work and if I have any money I give it too them. One time I saw a homeless guy and only noticed him when he walked by us with no shoes on, this was when it was really cold the last couple of weeks ago. I gave him some of my fruit and a pack of crisps in a bag, asked someone to look after my bag and seat, while I followed him to give him the bag. Poor sod was really grateful, what gave me the hump, were people opposite who gave me such a look , as though I done something wrong. I thanked the guy who looked after my seat and bag. I felt I done a good thing for the homeless guy but @@@@@@ about the other people !!! Again , sorry for going off topic!!!!

I know I'm going off topic on this, but replying to Pinlight, I see the homeless on the tube going and coming home from work and if I have any money I give it too them. One time I saw a homeless guy and only noticed him when he walked by us with no shoes on, this was when it was really cold the last couple of weeks ago. I gave him some of my fruit and a pack of crisps in a bag, asked someone to look after my bag and seat, while I followed him to give him the bag. Poor sod was really grateful, what gave me the hump, were people opposite who gave me such a look , as though I done something wrong. I thanked the guy who looked after my seat and bag. I felt I done a good thing for the homeless guy but @@@@@@ about the other people !!! Again , sorry for going off topic!!!!
I would have done the same as you,you did what was right.I wouldn't worry as to what the other people thought of you,honestly.

We used to have a real tramp that would arrive twice a year hang about for a few days and be on his
way, if I saw him usually near the car park I would take him a warm work coat and maybe boots sometimes
a lump of fruit cake to see him on his way.

Upon waiting for the train to arrive i just looked across the lines to to the other platform and there was this lady with a gentleman,they were both in there mid 70's i would have thought,anyway this lady kept on peering over the train lines at me at the other side as if she knew me,i certainly didn't know know her.
I quite like OWB's explanation for this:
They might have been on the wrong platform and nipped around to the other side after you got on the train.
The gods know I have had my fair share of platform confusion at Leeds railway station, and that might explain why she was staring over: not at you, as such, but at the platform, as they tried to figure out which one they ought to be standing on.

My second theory, apologies for its 'spotterish nature. If heading to the Yorkshire Riviera by train from Leeds, aren't there two basic options: to Hull and thence up the coast, or to Scarborough and thence down? Is it possible that your mystery couple took the other route, if you're sure they didn't do a last-minute platform switch?

But the explanation that appeals to me the most is that they, too, have noticed that your paths keep crossing. Her husband might have nudged her and said, in an urgent whisper, "Psst! Ethel! There's that bloke again, look! What does he keep following us round for?" No wonder she was peering over at you ;).

I quite like OWB's explanation for this:

The gods know I have had my fair share of platform confusion at Leeds railway station, and that might explain why she was staring over: not at you, as such, but at the platform, as they tried to figure out which one they ought to be standing on.

My second theory, apologies for its 'spotterish nature. If heading to the Yorkshire Riviera by train from Leeds, aren't there two basic options: to Hull and thence up the coast, or to Scarborough and thence down? Is it possible that your mystery couple took the other route, if you're sure they didn't do a last-minute platform switch?

But the explanation that appeals to me the most is that they, too, have noticed that your paths keep crossing. Her husband might have nudged her and said, in an urgent whisper, "Psst! Ethel! There's that bloke again, look! What does he keep following us round for?" No wonder she was peering over at you ;).

If you're heading to Scarborough from Leeds, then you'd really only go one way, train to York and then on to Malton and Scarborough. The Hull trains only go to Brid as far as I remember, there's no coastal connection.

I still favour the explanation that an old couple, who live in or near Scarborough, were waving somebody off on the train at Leeds, then drove back home via the fish and chip shop... the reason Kev keeps seeing them near his mum's is because....they live near his mum's.

Back