• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Skulls

:lol: What a load of tosh.

That's not to say that I'm ungrateful to lordmongrove for showing us the link.
I hadn't seen that frankly nutty site before and will be wasting some time on it in the wee hours. :D

It's interesting tosh. :D

The skull pic at the top looks a little 'doctored', but that's just my take on it.

Mythopoeika said:
The skull pic at the top looks a little 'doctored', but that's just my take on it.

Agreed. What stood out to me immediately was the supposed carvings on the left side of the forehead - enthusiastic use of the PS clone stamp, I'm thinking, although I could of course be wrong.

It's a fun site though, so thanks for the link. There's something so '19th century slow news day' about weird skull stories, I think; I can remember, as a child, reading books about mysterious phenomena that had been collected from various newspapers and then published, in some cases, a hundred years before I was born and coming across story after story about giant skulls or horned skulls (or giant horned skulls). Curious how even Forteana seems to go through fads and trends this way.

AtomicBadger said:
Mythopoeika said:

Agreed. What stood out to me immediately was the supposed carvings on the left side of the forehead - enthusiastic use of the PS clone stamp, I'm thinking, although I could of course be wrong.

Yes! That's exactly what it looked like to me.

The Bolinao Skull featured on today's Quora.

Discovered in 1964 in the Balingasay Burial Site in Bolinao, Philippines, the skull is remarkable for its golden dental inserts, resembling fish scales. The skull has been tentatively identified as an adult male, living around the 14th and 15th century A.D. The small cranium and large orbits and nasal aperture however, are traits suggestive of more archaic humans.

skull1.png
skull2.png

https://www.yodisphere.com/2021/02/Bolinao Skull .html

Theres definitely something pre modern about that skull

Plus expensive cosmetic dentistry.

Any proper context, guys?

Theres definitely something pre modern about that skull

Plus expensive cosmetic dentistry.

Any proper context, guys?

The Wiki article does state that this ornate method of decorating teeth was part of the native Philippine culture prior to the Spanish occupation in 1521. The fact that pure gold inserts were used suggests that this was a man of some prosperity and standing.
Wiki doesn't add anything to account for the curiously archaic traits of the skull though. The presence of a chin looks fairly normal Homo sapiens, but the rest of the skull looks like a cross between Homo floresiensis and Homo Ergaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolinao_Skull

Discovered in 1964 in the Balingasay Burial Site in Bolinao, Philippines, the skull is remarkable for its golden dental inserts, resembling fish scales. The skull has been tentatively identified as an adult male, living around the 14th and 15th century A.D. The small cranium and large orbits and nasal aperture however, are traits suggestive of more archaic humans.

Possibly assembled from two pieces?

Back