• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Sorrento

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
I'm off to Sorrento in a few weeks (for my 40th birthday!).

Obviously we'll be 'doing' Pompeii, does anybody know of anything else Fortean or even just plain interesting in the area?

Sorrento is great. It's one of the best places I've been to. The main street, where there are now souvenir shops, is actually an original Roman street. The shops at ground level were once stables and the pavement was the main town drain!

You can easily get to Herculaneum, and anywhere else, by train, on the Circumvesuviana railway. Don't book coach trips, take the train and enjoy the brilliant views. Cheap too.
Thank you, Benito! ;)

You need to visit the Roman villa, Oplontis is it? It was excavated from under the rubble of the eruption, nearly undamaged. Really beautiful in a haunting way.

Also the funicular railway just along the coast, can't remember the town name, but again it's accessible by train.

You can see Roman bread ovens in Herculaneum and then have a pizza cooked in a modern, nearly identical one up the road. Fantastic.

Oooh, it's so wonderful!

Oh yeah, and citrus fruits grow on trees in the street. The air smells of them, and you can buy lemons as big as your head.

LOADS to see and do. Wish I was going again!

Ye gods, now I want to live there!

Back