• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Statues & Sculptures

People throw eggs at gold penis-headed Putin statue in Bell End

Bemused locals discovered the sculpture in the village of Bell End this morning.

It had been erected to commemorate the Kremlin leader as ‘Bellend of the Year’ in protest against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Free eggs were supplied to throw at it.

It’s actually a stunt fund-raiser
The co-ordinator said they plan to create and sell miniatures of the statue to raise money for a charity supporting refugees.
‘I’ve seen over the course of the year the devastation that has happened in Ukraine and that so many lives that have been displaced as a result of the war,’ they said.

‘So I thought, “I really want to help out and I want to do my bit and I want to try and raise some money to help those individuals”.’
1671145865567.png

Penis-headed statue of Russian tyrant Vladimir Putin installed in the village of Bell End

A PENIS-headed statue of Russian tyrant Vladimir Putin has been installed in the village of Bell End.

artist-handout-pa-wire-note-783121886.jpg

It commemorates the war-mongering leader as “Bellend of the Year” in protest against the invasion of Ukraine.

The effigy appeared yesterday morning in the centre of the Worcestershire village — alongside eggs which passers-by can throw at it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20772853/penis-headed-statue-vladimir-putin/

maximus otter

Where in Bell End is this? Doing a Street View does not find a location like that in the village of Bell End.
I realise that the statue would not be there, but where is the location?

Move Over Moses and Zoroaster: Manhattan Has a New Female Lawgiver

Standing atop the grandiose [New York] state courthouse is a shimmering, golden eight-foot female sculpture, emerging from a pink lotus flower.

24courtsculpture7-bkcf-superJumbo.jpg

Staring regally ahead with hair braided like spiraling horns, the sculpture, installed as part of an exhibition that opened last week, is the first female to adorn one of the courthouse’s 10 plinths, dominated for more than a century by now weathered statues representing great lawgivers throughout the ages — all of them men.

Shahzia Sikander, 53, the paradigm-busting Pakistani American artist behind the work, said [insert Guardian-speak to taste.]

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/25/...on-sculpture-madison-park-sikander-women.html

maximus otter

New York's long-awaited 'bean' sculpture unveiled

A large curvaceous, reflective sculpture by Anish Kapoor that was commissioned for a prominent street corner in Lower Manhattan back in 2008 has finally been completed. The yet-to-be-titled work, which shares many features with the British artist's iconic "Cloud Gate" sculpture in Chicago — known colloquially as "the bean" — is now shining crisply at the corner of Church and Leonard streets in Tribeca.
It is 19 feet tall at its highest point and is estimated to have cost between $8 million and $10 million to create

Unlike the freestanding Chicago sculpture, which occupies a prominent public plaza in Millennium Park, the new Tribeca bean appears wedged beneath the canopy of 56 Leonard, a luxury condominium building better known as the "Jenga Tower" due to its cantilevering volumes that resemble the game's dangerously teetering woodblocks. The tower was designed by renowned Swiss architecture practice Herzog & de Meuron for real estate development firm Alexico Group, which also commissioned Kapoor's sculpture.

In addition to delays from the construction slowdown following the financial crisis of 2008 and 2009, and later from Covid-19, completion of Kapoor's Tribeca bean was slowed by its technical complexity. As a result, it sat partially finished for years, surrounded by scaffolding and with large sections of its shimmering shell missing, earning it the nickname "half bean."
1675516548415.png

Standing atop the grandiose [New York] state courthouse is a shimmering, golden eight-foot female sculpture, emerging from a pink lotus flower.

Staring regally ahead with hair braided like spiraling horns, the sculpture, installed as part of an exhibition that opened last week, is the first female to adorn one of the courthouse’s 10 plinths, dominated for more than a century by now weathered statues representing great lawgivers throughout the ages — all of them men.

Shahzia Sikander, 53, the paradigm-busting Pakistani American artist behind the work, said [insert Guardian-speak to taste.]

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/25/...on-sculpture-madison-park-sikander-women.html

maximus otter
A devil's head and noodly appendages. Sinister.

maximus otter
H'mm Sculptor's name Sikander the Persian rendition of Alexander. Sculpture's hair styled to ram's horns associated with Amun/Zeus from whom Alexander the great claimed descent and Alexander often depicted with a helmet with stylised ram's horns on it.
There must be a conspiracy here somewhere.....:rolleyes:

Man puts dinosaur head on his roof

In Cullen, Moray.

An ex-fairground figure painted by a local artist. It lights up at night.

It’s not popular with everyone. The owner is an antique dealer who says it’s only there til he manages to sell it but the council aren’t happy & he may have to apply for planning permission. It’s in a conservation area.

1679583843948.png

1679583861010.png

I've recently been catching the Adrian Shooter CBE train (as painted on the outside of the carriage) home from London Marylebone. He has a statue on Platform 1 with the inscription "Founder of Chiltern Railways : Engineer : Railwayman : Inspirational Leader" and whilst I don't doubt he was a thoroughly good egg, I think the sculptor could have missed off a few laughter lines.

Adrian Shooter_1209.jpg

I'm pretty sure he wasn't that slim either, and probably had arms too.

Dunno if we've had this: the Knife Angel sculpture is touring Britain to raise awareness of the problem of knife crime.

I heard that all the blades used in its construction were either collected from police station Weapon Amnesty bins or confiscated in stop-and-search operations, or were actual crime-scene exhibits involved in stabbings and murders.

Dunno who told me that, but it came to mind when I saw the actual sculpture.
Many of the blades are sets of chefs' knives with matching handles rather than random kitchenware.
Until then I'd still had that belief about at the back of my mind about where they came from.
As if a weapon used in a fatal stabbing would be handed over for an art project. Durr. :rolleyes:

Here's the official website:
National Youth Anti-Violence Educational Programme

Representing the nation’s intolerance and rejection of violence, communities have embraced the Angel and all it stands for, with a multitude of towns and cities stepping up to join the list of hosting locations and arranging education workshops, conferences and activities.

Last edited:
Dunno if we've had this: the Knife Angel sculpture is touring Britain to raise awareness of the problem of knife crime.

I heard that all the blades used in its construction were either collected from police station Weapon Amnesty bins or confiscated in stop-and-search operations, or were actual crime-scene exhibits involved in stabbings and murders.

Dunno who told me that, but it came to mind when I saw the actual sculpture, and Many of the blades are sets of chefs' knives with matching handles rather than random kitchenware.
Until then I'd still had that belief about at the back of my mind about where they came from.
As if a weapon used in a fatal stabbing would be handed over for an art project. Durr. :rolleyes:

Here's the official website:
National Youth Anti-Violence Educational Programme

The UK’s knife crime hotspots are London, Manchester, West Yorkshire and the West Midlands:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/dvc687/index.html

The statue has so far appeared in:

Corby, Aberystwyth, Birkenhead, Redcar, Newport, Slough, Gloucester cathedral, Guildford cathedral and Crewe:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_Angel

:thought:

maximus otter

Back